Not Best Buy but Worst Everything - refuses to make good on defective fitbit band.

The only reason a person would ever shop at best buy would be because they couldn't wait two days for Amazon to ship. I purchased 2 fitbit's. Within two weeks the band came apart. It didn't break, it just came apart where it is glued together. I returned it to best buy and the smart-*** kid in customer non-service was intent on not helping. They wanted to know if I was a rewards member. Wanted to know if I bought the extended warranty. Apparently to push their service warranties, they are now not servicing defective items. I will never walk into a best buy again.

If you don't want to pay for best buy'a service plans then don't expect them to service your items after the return policy.

MattD78

After Best Buy's 15 day return policy it becomes a manufacturer's warranty issue, not a Best Buy issue.

Best Buy - Warranty Cancellation Review from Richardson, Texas

I cancelled IPhone warranty in March and still have charges. Citibank keeps harassing and referring me to Geek Squad I have literally spent hors 3-5 at a time being transferred, put on hold and hung up in. They can see the notes but state they are not able to give credit just refunds. Promised call backs never come and every call requires a complete explanation since they never have a record of calls. Citibank is unable to do anything which is to be expected since they have a reputation for poor service. Although I have been a platinum or elite customer for years, I no longer shop there. In the past two years they have decreased their rreturn policy, changed the terms if warranties until they are worthless or comparable to Walmart, and have poor telephonic service assistance. I convinced people in the past to give them another chance and to those people I apologize. You were right to avoid this store.
Review

Best Buy's price match isn't real

A Terrible Customer Experience My recent experience with Best Buy’s online store has been as bad as my experiences have been in the big box itself. Want to know what truly bad customer service is? You need go no further than Best Buy. At the end of March I purchased a notebook computer online from Best Buy’s Marketplace. Within a few days, I saw the same computer on Amazon for $50 less. Best Buy has a “Low Price Guarantee” which I called to invoke. I was told that the maximum they could do on a price match was $20 plus tax. I reluctantly agreed. I was told it could take a couple of billing cycles for the credit to show up on my credit card statement. When nothing showed up in June, I called Best Buy online. I was told (1) that the low price guarantee doesn’t apply to the “Marketplace,” and (2) I should have gotten communication from Best Buy explaining that their review process denied the price match (which I didn’t). When I explained that had I been told in time to return the item, I would have simply returned it and bough it on Amazon, I was transferred around to several different people, but eventually found out Best Buy’s price guarantee is bogus. With each person I spoke to, I had to explain the story all over. It took well over 30 minutes of my valuable time. One person said, their records didn’t show the price that was being matched. How is that my fault? At the time I originally called over 2 months earlier, the person who committed to the $20 refund took the time to look up the competitive price. Was it now my fault that she did not make a record? Unbelievable! And this ignores the fact that the price difference was $50, not $20! I explained that they had committed to a $20 plus tax credit to my credit card. Based on this, I had agreed not to return the machine. Now, more than 2 months later it was too late to return the machine. I was not at fault in any way in this error. Best Buy finally said it would give me a $20 coupon toward a future purchase. I explained that there wouldn’t be any future purchase given the way the company treats its customers. I just wanted to warn others: don’t do business with Best Buy. It’s a dying monster that deserves to die.

Best Buy Low Price Guarantee (From the website)

The Best Buy Low Price Guarantee is simple:

We won't be beat on price.

Best Buy matches the price of all local retail competitors and major online retailers, including Amazon.

The Details:

At the time of sale, we price match all local retail competitors (including their online prices) and we price match products shipped from and sold by these major online retailers: Amazon.com, Bhphotovideo.com, Crutchfield.com, Dell.com, HP.com, Newegg.com, and TigerDirect.com. We match BestBuy.com prices on in-store purchases and in-store prices on BestBuy.com purchases.

If we lower our price during the return/exchange period, we will match our lower price, upon request.

Our Low Price Guarantee covers one price match per identical item, per customer, at the current pre-tax price available to all customers. Our Low Price Guarantee does not cover: The online prices of retailers not listed Contract mobile phones sold by any online retailer Products shipped from or sold by third-party sellers (Marketplace sellers) on websites Competitors' service prices, Best Buy For Business transactions, BestBuy.com Clearance & More and Marketplace items Any financing offers, bundle offers, free items, pricing errors, mail-in offers, coupon offers, items that are advertised as limited quantity, out of stock items, open-box items, clearance items, refurbished/used items, deal of the day, daily deals, special hour sale event items, credit card offers, gift card offers, rent/lease to own items, and items for sale Thanksgiving Day through the Monday after Thanksgiving, whether offered by Best Buy or a competitor.

MattD78

While I do agree if Best Buy agreed to credit you $20 then they should do that, the price match policy does clearly state "Our Low Price Guarantee Does Not Cover: Products shipped from or sold by third-party sellers (Marketplace sellers) on websites". So the price match is real and the policy clearly stated, but this would still be a fail for Best Buy customer service even though technically they were not obligated to give you anything they did offer a credit.

Horrible Costumer Service | Best Buy review from Richardson, Texas

Well first off i went to get a phone repaired and no one told me my phone was going to be replaced instead of repaired as the contract i signed says. so i got a "new" phone and everything on my old phone wasnt sync properly (by your sales associate) so i lost all my 600+ pics and contacts AND bank info. i asked for my old phone and basically told that theres nothing that could be done its basically not your problem. ive had the "new replacement" phone since sat and it hasnt been working properly. it dies, no service, txt wont send, it sounds like if there is static on ALL calls. its ridic how often it freezes and overheats. i left the store today (3 hrs ago) after spending 2 hrs with a supervisor trying to fix the problem. he said it was the sim card and software needed to be updated. they did that. i get home phone works fine until now. it wont charge and it just died. wont turn on at all. i took the battery out and it works again but this is ridic. wht kind of costumer service is this??? not to mention the fact that im waiting to be credited the $50 back from my loaner phone. im very angry with this company and geek squad. and yet no one does anything to resolve the matter.

I had bought an extended warranty and I got some retard on the line named Jason in the Dispatch department and he refused to help me. He does not care.

My computer was not working correctly and said it would be 72 hours before someone calls me back. Jason is a real retard and needs to get some psyco help.

Did they give you a NEW phone or a *** refurb? What does your contract say?

View more comments (2)
Loss

Best buy warranty no good

bought a i-phone and a two year warranty from best buy. phone would not hold a charge , best buy said they would send my phone to a third party company and replace my phone in about three days with a refubished phone not repair or replace my phone with a new phone. i bought my NEW phone about 3 months ago and did not buy a refurbished phone. The two year warranty cost more than the phone cost and if there warranty calls for a refurbished phone they should be good enough and up front with customers and tell you that.

Always be wary of buying their Performance Service Plans. You pay alot and may receive a faulty refurbed item in exchange.

Also the Dec 2012 issue of CONSUMER REPORTS rates retailers on page 25. Best Buy is on the bottom.

It's clearly stated in your warranty paperwork that you will get a refurbished phone.

Black Tie Plan = Poor Investment | Best Buy review from Richardson, Texas

I've bought tens of thousands of dollars of stuff from Best Buy over the past couple years. One of my most recent purchases was a Samsung home theater system. They pushed me to buy the Black Tie protection plan for it. I told them that I had heard they were a bad investment, and that I didn't want it. They said that even if I broke the system moving, or if there was any accidental damage, the plan would cover it. Finally I folded and bought it. Well a couple months later, the wireless receiver fell and broke. I went to the store last night and asked what I needed to do. The guy I spoke with checked and said that in fact I had purchased the plan, and that yes, it did cover accidental damage so all I had to do was bring the system into the store. I packed it up and brought it in this afternoon. They guy at Geek Squad said that the plan only covers manufacturers defects and he wouldn't help replace it. The thing is, the Manufacturer covers manufacturers defects, so why would I purchase a separate plan that would cover the same thing? This is irritating and unless rectified, I am no longer a Best Buy customer. Me and my business will go elsewhere for all our computers, electronics, mobile, and appliance needs. P.S. NEVER buy the Black Tie plan...total scam as it covers nothing that you would actually need it for.

Honestly if they really told you "broke the system while moving" I feel your pain. However, if you read the terms of the plan(available in store and customer service and checkout and online) you'd know products that aren't portable(ie: tvs, shelf systems, home theater systems) will have zero coverage for when you drop it, knock it off a stand etc.

Consumers should keep in mind they can get a partial refund for their plans; even though they give you flack for trying, it's your legal right. So I hope you demanded that.

To this, don't say it's useless, when I worked there I bought a tv and 5months later had a defective screen, they came to my house(for a 32" no less) and figured out the problem, came back two days later with a new screen, fixed it. A few months later the internal speakers just died for no reason, they replaced that three times in the following 6 months, ended up getting a new tv at no extra cost. The best of the deal was the new tv was larger, and a better picture due to price drops in LCDs. So no, black tie isn't useless, it's dependent upon how you care for your product.

Patrick

even though he's a *** for the most part, Honest4Sure had a couple of good points.

Alan C

Anything goes to sell plans. NEVER take the word of a "sales" associate. Whether through the phone or in person, EVERY single "pitch" has at least one lie or deception - intentionally or more likely by ignorance.

Mgrs at BBY push these as #1 priority. Complaints as such through all blogs, sites, stores, cust support reach Mt Everest.

"Accidental damage" options across all retail are offered on portable items, not stationary ones. Problem is, you can't prove the lie. If you can, you have a case in small claims even though ANY and ALL BBY store personnel are NOT experts in service contracts. The only word you could rely on as an expert would be the person in corporate who arranges the plans through the service administrator. Even if you stood with an associate and read the terms, many are still fuzzy.

Damage plans, though, are priced through the roof (price/product ratios). Unless one is a reoccuring klutz, stay clear of any insurance.

Patrick

well the manufacturer only covers problems for a certain amount of time so you're basically covered for a longer time but.. I don't understand why they didn't cover accidental damage, especially if the guy on the phone told you that your plan did.

View more comments (3)
Loss
We decided to upgrade our Sprint cell phones thru Best Buy because they offered a much better price than Sprint. They talked to us about their wonderful "Black Tie Protection Plan" that they offer at $10.00 per phone per month. It sounded great as we were promised...

Just purchased a Best Buy extended 3 year warranty for over $300. On my $800 laptop purchased in 2010 and a couple months later I have a blue screen on my laptop.

I had a similiar issuea year earlier and the fan was replaced a the computer was restored. This time I stood a the counter for 45 minutes while the very rude salesperson looked for Tech Support coverage which, as it turns out, I did not have. The year prior I had both a hardware issue and a software issue and they fixed both under warranty without mention of having to have a tech support warranty. Now their telling me I needed to have tech support warranty coverage for them to fix it.

I was so upset the manager said he would fix the software issue as a "courtesy." A week later I receive a call telling me there was an issue with the fan and it has been repaired so I can come pick it up. I get there today and watch as the salesperson opens it and it starts up and crashes to a blue screen again. After embarrassing myself some more by emotionally reacting to a rude, incompetant and lazy salesperson I got the manager, Jason. After some more waiting he agreed to correct the "software" issue as a "courtesy." I will be grateful when my computer is returned to me working order again but I am fearful of future incidents in the next 3 years.

I really feel cheated and so disappointed in Best Buy for their sneaky sales tactics. I just bought 2 air conditioner units and warranties for both.

I am considering getting my money back for all my Best Buy warranties; I currently have 4. If anyone knows a better warranty company I can use, please let me know.

View more comments