Best Buy - Return Policy

I recently bought a IPAD for my wife. At the time of the purchase, I specifically asked the sales associate about the return policy. She replied "30 days from the day of the purchase". Since the purchase was for my wife, I wanted to make sure that she likes it and I have an option to return it in case there is a problem with it or in case my wife feels its not for her. Since the purchase, the device constantly locked up during operation. My wife was not satisfied with the purchase and wanted to return. I took it back today for the return (winin 30 days) and was denied any help. Now the manager told me that the return policy is 14 days and not 30 days. I was denied the service even after I informed the manager about my prior understanding of the 30 day return policy. Now i am stuck with a product I am not really happy with. I have decided not to do business with best buy in the future and cancel my credit card account unless best buy honors my request and returns the product. adnan wazir

Ma & Pa and 100% customer service = closed forever.

Megastores and 100% policy = thriving more than ever.

It's no mystery which store customers prefer. I wonder why...you figure it out.

A business cannot stay in business if there are no customers paying into it BECAUSE of said policies. There has to be a balance of policy and exception. There are two spectrums of the scale:

Ma & Pa = 100% customer service

Mega Stores = 100% policy

The failure to define a middle line is what gets corporations into trouble. While it's true that a company can lose too much money by bending over backwards for EVERY customer, a company can also lose too much money by following their policies too closely.

Rules -HAVE- to be bent in customer service. Put away your pride as an associate and put yourself on the customer's side. Throw the book only at your more irrational, ruthless, violent, abusive customers and do your best to provide a satisfying service to the other customers.

Most are simple enough they misread something, misunderstood something, or honestly didn't see it. It's happened to me a few times too. Outside of work we're all customers.

Customer Service didn't die, it just became precious (think diamond) in a world full of narcissism and legalism, so it's rarer.

yes best buy's policy's are on the back of the receipt or hanging high on the wall in small print.. I do work for BBY and brought that store's policy should be brought down and posted where they well be seen..

I was told something I already knew..

and training on policy needs to be done better with workers at BBY.. I for one if i'm not sure I track down the answer..

Maybe you should have read the terms and conditions for returning the item before you spend your precious money, not just demand whatever you think you are owed just because you bought something

I work for best buy. I personally thing the return policy is just. If you are willing to spend that much money on an item it would be in your own best interest to do the research and make sure you are purchasing something that you will use and enjoy.

With that being said the employee who misled you should have face some sort of consequence. No the return policy on any computer based item is not 30 days it is 14 days, if defective. Also, you will have to pay a restocking fee. Best buy does not make any profit on these items They are being sold for the customer not for best buy to make money.

The customer when making a purchase that size should find out all of the necessary return information BEFORE making the purchase and not just going by the word of the front counter person who doesn't personally sell computers. Next time ask the person who sold you the item, they will know the return policy on the item they are selling.

Just be smart with your purchase. and don't blame 16 year old kids for your poor judgement.

So, the days of "Customer Service" are over and now we only follow policies. I dont agree with that but lets just say (for an argument) this is how it is.

There is still an issue when a sales associate misminforms the customer on the policy. My mistake was that I did not read the back of the receipt once I had a face to face conversation with the live person. I wonder how many people do the same.

And when I returned, I was called a liar instead of accepting the agents fault. Now I do have a big problem with that....

awazir: Ma and pa shops used to bend over backwards to please customers, even if it included them taking a loss. Do you know what happened to them?

They went out of business for losing money instead of making it.

Now, it's either follow policy or too bad. Like it or not, it's just the way it is.

Simon: Its real simple.... It all boils down to the concept of "Customer Service".

Its not the matter of an Ipad anymore. If I own a business and a customer comes in and complains about a product which I sold him / her. I better make sure that the customer goes back satisfied or I lose that customer forever. $600 is not a big $$$ if you look at what Best Buy sells in 1 day.

My problem is with the impression I got the moment I showed up at the customer service desk with my receipt and the product.

There was no effort to help me from the start.

They tried everything to push me away.... and they succeeded.

You might have been happier buying an Android tablet instead.

It's real simple. You cannot take a brand new, high priced item, use it and return it.

What is Best Buy supposed to do with a used Ipad? Send it back to Apple? What are they supposed to do with it?

My car had 5,000 miles on it. I think I'll call the dealer and see if he will take it back because I'm not satisfied.

I agree with you Simon. However I think that consumers should be more proactive about their shopping experience with major retailers, especially when it comes to important clauses in return policies and protection plans.

Some stores like Best Buy in particular have a large placard that displays their warranty limitations and is there not only for decoration but for customer education as well. In relation to this incident it seems that Best Buy's position on the issue stems from a lack of clear definition of "PC, Notebook" group of electronics. A tech savvy individual would likely place the iPad in the "PC, Notebook" group given that it functions somewhat similar to its PC counterpart.

I'd go as far as to say that most shoppers would say that an iPad is similar in function to iPod Touch and would classify the device as member of the "everything else" group. I'm sure that if this issue was reported to top Best Buy execs then this clause would be re-written to include tablets; sanity permitting.

I don't think we should only return defective goods. Many retailers accept returns for no reasons.

Though we should not take advantage of this, it always happens that we buy something wrong and we need to return it.

What is more important should be the policy.

Customers should follow the policy. On the other hand, retailers should keep their promise (policy).

I also learned a lesson on BestBuy today. The receipt says PC and NoteBook and several other electronics could be returned within 14 days, all others could be returned within 30 days.

I bought my iPad 20 days before and now I wanted to return it, no matter what's the reason. What happened is that I was rejected. The manager said they have additional policy which says iPad follows 14 days rule. I argued that I only accept the policies they put on the receipt, because that actually is a formal agreement between BestBuy and me.

The guy just stand there and said "I can do nothing."

Should iPad follow notebook's policy? Maybe.

But if the receipt says clearly 14 days is the policy for iPad, I won't go to argue with them. When that manager said "this is the rule, you have to accept it." I felt so bad because I was at disadvantage and had to accept the "rule".

To nita: The fact that the user isn't smart enough to use the product doesn't mean it's defective. If the purchaser felt it was defective, the store would have to be able to reproduce the malfunction.

The OP either didn't mention it was defective or couldn't reproduce the error.

Since the item wouldn't have been considered defective, it would have been put back on the shelf. You should try checking the facts before you become a full blown retard...nevermind, it's too late.

Don't ask the kids in blue polo's about facts like return policies and protection plans. They only want you to spend money and go away and they'll state as many unreasonable "facts" as possible to get you to do so.

What kind of business strategy makes money in that they're store managers would honor a 30 day return policy and a refund at that? Go straight to the source and read their return and protection plan policies fully before purchasing a $600+ item. If you know what you're buying and all of the risks included with that purchase then if you run into an issue you know they can't argue against paper.

I find it a sort of challenge to trust a 16 year old acne ridden child's dissertation of a return policy. I find 30 days for a return policy(not an in store warranty) is absolutely ridiculous and unheard of in this day and age.

Thanks everyone for comments. I guess, it all boils down to the customer service (or lack thereof).

Best Buy pretty much called me a liar and I dont apprecaite that. There was no intent to understand my situation help me from the start. I know that I may be out of luck....bust buy will lose a customer forever... not a good business decision....

i am buying a $1500 projector setup for my media room.... guess where I wont be going.

To Simon. Returned items that are defective are not put back on the shelves for other consumers. Try to check on your facts before being judgmental.

The employee misinformed you, however the policy posted in store, on the back of the receipt and online states 14 days.

Best Buy is brutal, I purchased a TV, printer and a laptop there. The laptop went on sale for $400 less than I paid for it less 15 days after I bought it...

I went back, and asked if there was anything I could do, and they referred me to their manager, a 400lb sloth who said "Whatever, our policy is 14 days, not 15, looks like you're out of luck." I will NEVER buy anything from BestBuy again... This was the Ottawa (Nepean) store in Ontario...

Bad name for all Best Buys. WARNING: Best Buy also owns Future Shop, so I don't go there either.

I bet you wish they would have given you a full refund so they could put the item back on the shelf and someone else could pay full retail for your used Ipad. Nice.

View more comments (19)