Beaverton, Oregon

What company, in this day and age, only has a 15-day return policy AND DOESN'T TELL YOU ABOUT IT AT ANY POINT DURING THE PURCHASE PROCESS? Absolutely ridiculous policy and completely unreasonable about making exceptions.

Comments

Okay, if you have any questions about the return policy, you should ASK the cashier who is ringing you up what the return policy is. On almost everything in the store, the policy is 15 days, but if you are a Reward Zone Silver Member, it is 60 days, I believe. Now, 15 days is PLENTY of time to determine whether or not you like/want the item. Why would you just sit around with a product and not test it out until several days after the return policy expires? Normally, I test the product out as soon as I get home. If it doesn't work, I take it back right away. If the store is closed, I return it on their next business day. You shouldn't wait so long to decide if you like it. Take it home, measure it, try it out, do whatever you need to do. It doesn't work, you're not satisfied, return it immediately with receipt in hand. That's often the best policy to live by.

If you don't know the return policy or you forgot to ask when someone was ringing you up, you have a multitude of resources to FIND that policy. First, you can call the store you bought it from and ask what their return policy is. They will more than likely politely tell you, "15 days for standard returns, 60 days for Reward Zone Silver Members." If you choose not to call the store, you can go to Best Buy's website, and there will be a place right on their website where you can look up their return policy at any time. There are also brochures that discuss the return policy in front of almost all of the registers in any Best Buy store, so you can grab one as you are paying for the product. If you need another resource, you can call 1-888-BESTBUY and they will also politely tell you that the return policy is "15 days for standard returns, 60 days for Reward Zone Silver Members."

There are all kinds of ways for you to obtain a copy of the Best Buy return policy, so you cannot say that the store never provided you with a copy. They are RIGHT THERE at the registers for your taking. If you choose to take one, that's another matter altogether. The store also has its return policy printed on the very bottom of the receipt, so you can look there as well.

Bottom line, as soon as you buy a product, test it out IMMEDIATELY when you get it home. If you don't have time to test it out that day, test it out the next day. Then, if you don't like it, you can simply return it WITHIN the return policy with no questions asked. :)

@Swayze

You miss the point completely. The problem is that the standard return policy for stores is 30+ days.

There is no reason for any consumer to think it would be shorter. It is equivalent to an airline stating in the fine print of a booking itinerary that if a passenger doesn't check in 90 minutes before boarding that they lose their seat. It's not how it works, everyone knows it, and to change that policy without making it verbally or otherwise exceptionally explicit to the consumer is misleading and poor business practice.

Also, one may need more than 15 days to know if something "works" or not; my purchase was something that worked intermittently, and as it was something I used once a week, took a couple of weeks for me to see that in the long run it would not be practical. Moreover, not everyone can get to the store to return it in 15 days.

There is one Best Buy in my city; it takes me 45 minutes to get there. So basically if you have a couple of busy weekends you're screwed. People can't just "return things immediately"--we don't all have a Best Buy around the corner, and its ridiculous and naive to think most people could do this. People save their errands for a particular day; they are busy.

What privileged world do you live in that you don't see this? Many work multiple jobs, have kids and other obligations and responsibilities. You're presuming that those the policy negatively affects are just lazy or uninformed, and there's no basis for that assumption.

Also, let's just be real about the idiotic "reward" policies--why should anyone have to sign up for a rewards program to get a decent return policy? Additionally, the rewards only kick in after one has spent $1500.

That's absurd.

You and Best Buy can defend the policy as much as you like but the truth is that it contravenes common business practices. As a result, Best Buy has and will continue to lose out to online retailers.

When it closes more stores and files for bankruptcy, will you still be crying that customers were just not paying attention? The bottom line is that there is no good reason outside of profit hunger for such a policy to exist. No one here has made a single argument as to why such a policy makes sense.

They just defend the company.

But again, as it continues to lose profits and take Radio Shack's place as the crappiest electronics store standing, let's remember that classic piece of wisdom about the customer always being right. It's a cliche, so not always true, but in this case it couldn't be more right

I have a Galaxy note phone. I accidentally dropped my phone and broke the screen.

I went to best buy to return the phone.Because I have insurance on the phone. When I went to return the phone the best buy associate wanted to give me a loaner phone. I didnt have a problem with that. THE PROPBLEM WAS WHEN HE TOLD ME that I HAD TO WAIT 2 WEEKS JUST TO GET MY PHONE BACK!!!!Thats rediculous really 2 weeks just to receive my phone back really.

BEST BUY doesnt tell you that when you purchased the insurance. they tell you if something happens to your phone you dont have to wait to get a replacement for your phone. YOU CAN REPLACE IT THE SAME DAY. Well thats a lie.

WELL THE LOANER PHONE was REALLY DIRTY, AND BEAT UP I ask the associate could I just keep my phone until MY PHONE comes in, he told me that was fine. And HE TOLD ME AGAIN THAT my phone would not be in until 2 weeks. The associate told me that if my phone wasnt in in 2 weeks, that best buy would give me a new one. so he processed the order and gave me a copy of the requisition order, and told me it would be 2 weeks.

I AGAIN asked I him that this would not be a problem since I kept my phone he assured me NO THAT IT WASNT A PROBLEM. Well 18 days later and no phone!!! the manager ALLEN TOLD ME THAT IT WAS NOTHING HE COULD DO!!!. Like I TOLD HIM THIS WAS NOT MY FAULT.this was and error on their part.

Allen was just didnt carE!!! That just let me no that customer service and appreciating customer service is not appreciated or maybe its because Im a black female.

No more BB simon is a *** of *** that work for bb *** him don't buy at bb shop at fry's and Wal-Mart they match prices.

Wal-Mart only have a 15 return policy on some items(digital cameras loptops etc) but they are more lenient if you have a problem.

the return policy is posted on a giant sign in the front of every store, at every register, and on the back of every receipt. grow up.

@lemonk

and you say this because you didnt have bought from them for 4 years spend over $7,000 4 tvs a macbook pro and OUT OF NOWHERE ithey reduce the return policy...U ONLY HAVE 15 DAYS TO KNOW IF YOU WANT THE TV OR NOT..15 DAYS IS BARELY ENOUGH TO GET IT ON THE WALL AND SET THE PICTURE...SO BASIALLY THEY ONLY GARUNTEE THERE PRODUCTS FOR 15 DAYS..THERE TRYING TO SCREW US ...I JUST GOT STUCK WITH A CAMERA THAT I DONT USE OR A HAVE A REASON TO USE....FU*K A SIGN WHO GOES IN THE STORE READING SIGNS. MOST PEOPLE ARE LOOKING AT THE ITEM THERE BUYING AND THE CASHIER...YOUR AN ASSSHOLE DUDE, JUST FOR THAT COMMENT, U PROBABLY WORK THERE SINCE U KNOW ALL ABOUT THE SIGNS......NOBODY STATED THERE WAS A CHANGE IN THE RETURN POLICY FROM MY LAST PURCHASE SO HOW CAN THEY DENIE MY RETURN...STORE CREDT IS JUST PUTTING MONEY IN THERE BANK, WTF IS IT DOING FOR US

I will never shop at Best Buy again because of their recently enacted 15-day policy. They would not take back $110 in unopened products, which I purchased several weeks ago.

I am now stuck with the unwanted goods & customer service & corporate staff refused to make an exception. All I wanted was a credit to my Best Buy charge account, but BB refused. Yes, I now see that 15 days appears on the receipt& and yes, I now realize that my rewars status is not silver, so I don't qualify to return things after 15 days. I now realize that I don't need to buy things at BB, as there are too many other retailers with much longer return policies & quality products at reasonable costs.

I just cancelled my BB charge card.

Bye Bye Best Buy. Bet bankruptcy is in your future as customers say Bye Bye Best Buy.

@RAW

I agree, I was under the impression that BB had the 30 day return policy, as other stores I've dealt with. I purchased an expensive notebook, total cost with their "wonderful service plan" that came to $1,377.00.

It proved to be defective on the 20th day of owning it. All my research, done too late, shows the notebook has this defect. BB would NOT refund my Money for another notebook. Their Geek Squad could not replicate the issue, so they offered to send it to another Service center, But I would be charged if they failed to replicate the issue.

Great Service Warranty!

And SIMON, just how old are you? Too funny.

@RAW

I agree. I tried to return a laptop HD still sealed in the box.

The *** Geek Squad guy sold me the wrong part and now Im stuck with it or store credit. The manager was a total *** about the whole thing too. He actually told me the policy change because of a poll of 1.2million customers requested a shorter return time frame. Im going to stick with online retailers.

They lost a customer for life over $120 item they were probably only making $40 on. If I dont get good customer service like I do at Costco than what is the point of patronizing them.

If you didn't know the return policy why didn't you ask? I rarely ever get told a store's return policy when buying something. Why is that so strange to you? Wal-Mart, Target, Radio Shack, and Sears also have 15 day return policies on electronics, so Best Buy's return policy really isn't out of line with the rest of the industry.

Also, just my opinion, but I think 15 days is more than enough time to make a return if you need to. You don't need to hold on to things for months if you're not going to keep them.

If they made exceptions for you, they'd have to make them for everyone. If that were the case, why even have a return policy? You aren't special, you're going to have to follow the same rules as the rest of us, no matter how much that upsets you. Sorry princess.

@Simon

Simon, your responses are spot on. Why is it so difficult for some people to realize that yes, there are policies and yes, they apply to them?

The customer service reps take a beating every single day from customers like these when they are just doing their job. Shame on the these people!!

@CSA=abuse me

Read this post and comments too. Screw-blue DOT com. Explains it all.

@CSA=abuse me

Spot on? What / where are you reading. Check these comments out will you.

@Simon

Simon, you must obviously be a shill for Best Buy and other socialistic corporate controlled stores for which you defend.

@Mister Mojon'

Obviously you must be a retard.

@Simon

Obviously i am a shill for best buy and i have no other life besides monitoring the Pissed Consumer forums day in and day out!!

@Mister Mojon'

What is your point? Is it that you are a *** for saying Best Buy is bad cause of there return policy when EVERY retailers return policy on electronics is the same 15 days? good job.

@Point?

Target's return policy is 45 days, so I hear!

@Point?