Sold me a Damaged Television | Best Buy review from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

I bought A Sony Television and took it home before inspecting it, Big Mistake!!! The screen was completely damaged. BestBuy refused to take it back and put the blame back on me. I tried to use the AccountShield(protection from the bank that handles the credit line)protection and they turned me down and said the issue had to be resolved with BestBuy.I opened up a credit line of $5000 the night of purchase eventhough I only spent $1000 and the first time I have a problem this is the treatment I get. I contacted the Better Business Bureau and they were the biggest joke of all. BestBuy just said they weren't wrong and the BBB said "o.k". I will never shop at a BestBuy ever again. I would also like to mention that I have served in the US Army for the past twenty years and this is a slap in the face on so many levels, the biggest of which is that they question my integrity.BestBuy is the biggest scam out there!!!!!!

Army...*sigh* always whine about every little thing...marines don't have that problem. :grin

What in the blue *** does you serving in the US Army have to do with anything? I'm so sick of people trying to use that as a ploy for sympathy.

I thought military people were supposed to be tough. I served in the Army so I should have immunity from any kind of unfair treatment by stores forever. Wah wah wah... I guess you want people to think "If Best Buy did that do anyone else fine, but a military person?

That is heart-wrenching. Boo hoo" You should be ashamed of yourself for using the uniform to get people to feel sorry for you.

You probably damaged the TV taking it home, unloading it, or taking it out of the box. Then you want Best Buy to take a loss for your negligence.

Sorry pal, it's not going to fly. If Best Buy, your credit card with Account Shield, and the BBB said "too bad" it was probably your own fault anyway.

View more comments (1)

No trust in employees | Best Buy review from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

U R *** EMPLOYEE TRUST YOU HAVE NONE TOOK ME 1 1/2 half hours to get a camcorder they need manager keys another with a matching key come on trust the people that work for you or they will steal from you you know you people are really *** so you make this *** so hard for people to complain agaisnt a frog *** tight company that dont know anything about phila trust me my next purchase for anthing electric will be from best buys andi will tell everyone i know hot to never got to hhgregg cause the wairing sucks and so does the complaint department gUYS YOU NEED TO TRUST YOU EMPLOYEES MORE the waiting for a key is nuts and the manager at the roosevelt store is rude and not just to me but he treats his employees as slaves and he has the keys to everything and they have to track him down on his time service was great from the kid that took care of us to the casheier took ten minites till the manager deceide to open the case took an half hour never again sorry i tried once bad impression back to best buys Ray

I know exactly what you mean... :zzz

Youre an *** and what you say doesnt make any sense!! LOL

View more comments (1)
Review
From the very beginning, they sold me incorrect or less appropriate components for my home theater system. They scheduled the consultant to come out 2 days before the install! At which point, the consultant found too many issues that needed addressing - he missed a few...
Tommie

I have never trusted Best But for Eloctronics. Especially Higher end electronics

View more comments

Unbelievably horrific treatment by Best Buy

I have NEVER had such a HORRIFIC experience as I did today at Best Buy. This is a long story but read on and you will be astonished. I am a contractor, and on 06/06/08 I purchased a window unit A/C from the Best Buy in West Windsor, NJ. I installed the unit and it seemed to work fine. Within a day or two my customers left for vacation and upon their return weeks later, discovered that the A/C didn't work. I removed the A/C, took it back to the store on 07/08/08, and they tested it (because I am a liar) and gave me an new identical unit. Again, I installed the A/C and it seemed to work fine. Once again, within a day or two my customers left for another vacation. When they returned, the new unit wasn't working. I brought this second unit back on 08/12/08 and again, they tested it (because I am a chronic liar). The unit performed OK but still showed some signs of quirkiness. The manager offered to "do me a favor" (his words) and allow me to either get another unit (yeah right!) or give me store credit since I was past the 30 day exchange period. The kicker here is that I was told the 30 day exchange period started from the day of the initial purchase!! The other option offered me was to have the unit sent out for service. Great, my poor customers can continue to sleep in the living room because their third floor bedroom is too darn hot! Under normal circumstances I would have had both units returned to the store within days but due to my customers' vacations, it was impossible to do this. After the second unit failed, I had been instructed by my customers to get a new unit elsewhere. I told the manager this so his offer was simply unacceptable. Due to these unusual vacation circumstances, all I wanted was a credit to my MasterCard. I was told by the manager, who could not have been older than 25, that a refund was out of the question. So I asked to please speak to his manager and he said HE was the manager--no way! I then asked to whom else I could speak and he said to call 888-BESTBUY. I asked him to call and he handed me the phone! When I got a busy signal I hung up the phone and continued requesting to either speak to his superior or give me a refund. The manager continued his insistence that this was impossible. Finally he said, "This conversation is over," and began to walk away. We continued to banter a little and then I simply left the store. So I called 888-BESTBUY as instructed, spoke to a CSR who gave me the same scripted lines. I asked to speak to his manager. After too long of a wait, his manager got on the phone, gave me the same run-around, and when I asked to speak to someone higher up, she claimed there wasn't anybody else. I suppose she is the CEO!! I continued to insist that she allow me to speak to someone over her and she HUNG UP ON ME!! I am appalled at the manner in which Best Buy treats its customers. In their employee's own words, Best Buy is doing customers a "favor." Are they favoring us by allowing us the privilege of shopping there? I was under the impression that retail operations exist to serve the customers! Additionally, it's not as if BB is the only electronics store around. I do not think my request for a refund was unreasonable, and I understand the need for a return policy, but is there no room for an exception considering the circumstances? Oh, that's right, to BB I am a liar like many of you who read this might be if you attempt to return a defective item to BB. As I explained to the BB manager, my customers have now spent far more money for my labor than the $270.00 for the A/C! If either unit had performed properly, I would have saved myself three trips to BB, two installations, the numerous trips to the third floor bedroom for installation and removal of the A/C and the incredibly disrespectful treatment by BB employees! As I mentioned earlier, I am a remodeling contractor. My customers are mostly residents of an upper-class town and they spend thousands upon thousands of dollars for appliances when I do kitchen renovations. I am amazed that BB would take the risk of losing so much additional revenue over $270.00. BB certainly will no longer get my recommendation, in fact, I will discourage anyone from patronizing BB. In addition to me, BB has lost another customer in what I think may be the beginnings of a domino effect. Upon recounting my horrid BB experience to my customer, I heard the words, "I'll never shop there again either!" Major BOOOS to BEST BUY!
#411929

I hope you still have access to these posts, because best buy is still up and running with over 1100 stores in the US and Puerto Rico, Canada, Turkey and even China. Best buy doesn't need customers like you.

They would rather lose your business, then constintly take returns because you think you are above policies. If you get so angry over a simple return policy and one kinda annoying experience, I feel like by now, years later, you will refuse to shop anywhere.

1.You must not be a good "contractor" if there were 2 A/C units that went wrong!Sounds like something went wrong with the install

2. Check your receipt for return polices

Plus there is a big board infront of customer service and the front lanes stating the return policy.

3. The manager didn't have to offer you anything...

4. Get over it and start respecting other people

I've got a simple sollution to a portion of the exchange policy. Once the item has been exchanged within the 30 day time frame, start the exchange period over. A new item should still receive the same policy, regardless if it is the replacement or not.

This is not to say that a return is done numerous times. It is, to me, obvious that the person who made the original post had a defective item. This should send a red flag up, thus allowing the customer to be allowed to have the cost of the item transferred over to a different brand. Though, I will say that the manager did attempt to do something like this. Instead of getting your money back, try getting a store credit and buying a better quality item.

I don't work for Best Buy, nor do I shop there that often, but when I do, I get quality items. I also, no matter where I shop, make sure to fully understand the store's return policy just in case. Whether it's on the back of the receipt or on a blinking neon sign, if I don't fully understand it, I ask questions and get answers.

Juliet

Wow! Can't believe the comments.

It WAS bad customer service to walk away or hang up on a customer. When I worked at Dayton's in MPLS we were taught to go above and beyond for the customer whether they were spending 2 dollars or 2,000. You don't think we had our share of "crazies" and thiefs. We still treated everyone as if they were equally important of the president of our company.

If you are so sick of people that you have to give them bad customer service then it is time you found a new line of work. This is why people go back to the mom and pop stores because they know they will get treated better there. I shouldn't have to worry about getting good customer from one day to the next depending on who is working.

Stores like this loose out on a whole generation of older folks to buy trying to pull things over on them and the fast talking and not listening to them. It's really sad.

Actually, I've seen worse customer serivce at Walmart, Lowes, & Kroger. I've never had a problem with Best Buy, ever. I've been shopping there for well over 10 years and I have made a lot of close friends there.

Maybe you should have bought a brand name A/C instead of Best Buys A/C. Just because you go to Kroger to do your grocery shopping doesn't mean you should only get the Kroger brand of food.

In all fareness, they do offer great Gadgets & Gizmos and Geek Squad Black Tie Protection Plans on almost everything you buy. If you're to daft to get it when it's clearly going to help you out in the long run, I don't feel sorry for you.

It's not Best Buys fault that you get *** customer service, they didn't start out that way. Its the customers that act like jerks that ruin everyones good character. And I know you're thinking "well that's still not good customer service". Yeah, but maybe you can do your part and have good customer etiquette, then you will get good customer serivce in return. And not really just speaking to you, I think everyone should be a better person as a customer and as an employee.

I worked a retail job when I was in high school and I saw a lot of ignorant, mean, liers that tried to take advantage of me as well as my store. Of course they're going to think the customer is lying. I don't know any people anymore that don't lie about the smallest things. Its pathetic.

I had people come into my store to trade in video games for cash that CLEARLY were just stolen from another store not even an hour before. People are disgusting.

Oh and James James, I've seen instances where people open shrink-wrapped games and DVD's, swap out the game or DVD, reshrink-wrap it and return it.

Sorry if you're mad that not everyone is on your side, but maybe you could take a step back and see that: you're not the only one with problems, Best Buy isn't the worst place in the world, and life is still going on as it always has. I'm sure you'll get over it.

Just check out the Democrat presidential nominee!!! And this is not a racial comment unlike your implication of my being racist by thinking of you as "white trash." Perhaps what I wrote could be interpreted as "painting with a broad brush," but I was specifically referring to you and your poor use of both English and grammar -- which continues in your current posting -- and the mental midgets with whom I've had contact at Best Buy.

Your customer paranoia is still disturbing. I will agree with you that there are many OBVIOUS cases of people trying to play the system. The facts in this case, however, are entirely different.

The a/c units were both returned in perfect physical condition -- no negligence, no 3-year-olds. The problem with both units was identical. After initially working fine, each subsequent time they were turned on, they would blow cold for a minute and then never blow cold again. Each unit was used less than 24 hours.

These units were installed through a wall, not simply placed in an open window. If they worked properly, why would I take the time to install / uninstall and then trek to BB 3 times?!

I am not blaming BB for the a/c units' failures, as you continue to insist. What I want is for the store to take responsibility for the products it sells. As a contractor, I take full responsibility for both the labor and the products I sell to my customers.

Attempting to argue, "It's no different than a guy trying to say 'hey why don't you do the job and I'll pay you after,'" as an argument against me will not work either because it is exactly how I run my business. I do not require my customers to give me a single penny until they are completely happy with a finished job. I have work scheduled for months in advance and I don't advertise at all; my customers are extremely happy and tell others. I am not a scammer, but I suppose you don't believe me.

Define fair treatment. How about crediting a customer's charge card after the store has failed to provide a satisfactory product two times and then subjects the customer to rude treatment?! Is it fair that after said failure, the store then demands that the dissatisfied customer continue to shop in the store by holding the customer's money hostage?

Yes, I do believe that BB attempts to hide its return policy on the receipt. I have many, many receipts saved and I believe all of them have the return policy printed on the front and not the back side as is the practice of BB. Companies put a great deal of planning into even the smallest details including where to print the return policy on a receipt. This is not an accident. And to try to compare a contract to the back side of a sales receipt is, I think, a little bit of a stretch.

As to when the return policy begins, your "one or two year" argument does not apply here. If one simply compares the dates on the purchase and return receipts, it is glaringly obvious that both a/c units must have been installed and used within a 30 day period of being taken from the store. The plant illustration....? What are you smoking?

Lastly, I think before entering law school, you would be well served to take a memory retention course. Writing, "I'll see you on black friday bud!" reveals short term memory loss. Remember, I am NEVER shopping at Best Buy again! Add to that the numerous friends and family members that I have spoken with who have taken the same vow. Quite a few of them have had similarly horrible service from Best Buy, including my pastor. But I suppose he's lying, too.

From some financial reports I've seen, BB might not make it until Black Friday so you may be unemployed before too long. While I don't wish you any personal / financial harm, I will continue to do my best to discourage anyone from patronizing Best Buy.

There have been alot of hits on this posting so I hope the anti Best Buy message is getting through (and this isn't the only posting of mine!).

I love your presumption of my lack of education, but hey if you "must" know I will actually be attending Law School soon... I must be quite uneducated white trash.

In fact, what I love the most is the "stereotype" of people like you that thinks any Best Buy/Retail employee are uneducated but hey that's another topic.

Anyways regarding the first comment:

" An adverserial attitude toward the consumer can hardly be the best foundation upon which to build a business."

Unfortunately too many customers try to scam businesses. You said you work in construction/remodeling.

It's no different than a guy trying to say "hey why don't you do the job and I'll pay you after."

I've had customers trying to return stuff that is broken because of their negligence. Unfortunately because of the scammers and liers we inspect everyone so if you want to take it "personal" go right ahead. You'd be surprised at the allegations of customers by "it's not working" when their 3 year old CLEARLY stepped on the screen of the device. Again though, it's Best Buy's Fault.

You feel upset because we're checking on your allegation? In fact you should be happy that we do to make sure IN FACT it is defective and potentially harmfull if used

Comment Number 2:

"How about just fair treatment? And if BB was so concerned about its customers knowing the return policy, why do they hide it on the back of the receipt where nobody looks? The backside of the receipt is usually reserved for cheap advertising which is also ignored.Even more ridiculous is BB\'s policy that the return period begins with the initial purchase. So if something is faulty and exchanged on day 30, then the new product fails on day 31, the customer is at the mercy of BB\'s generousity?!"

Define a fair treatment for starters. The manager telling you "hey you can get store credit so go ahead and return it" wasn't good enough? In fact it wasn't because you wanted the money back. Now the funniest thing "don't put the return policy in the back of the receipt because noone looks at it".....so if you sign a contract and don't read the fine print that's also not your fault correct (oh wait sorry I didn't see the "hidden" clause)? In fact, to be honest, they can print the return policy BIG AND BLACK and all of you would still be here arguing that it's not "fair".

At the end, you not looking in the back of the receipt is your fault or my fault?? how is that hiding the return policy? It's even posted PRINTED NICE AND BIG by the cashiers.

Now let's talk on when the return policy should start.... how in the world (unless you're extremely unrealistic) would you know when an item was installed or used?

I've had customers that have bought laptops and have not used them whatsoever in a year or two. Yet, the return policy should start when they open it right? 365 days later..... quite an unrealistic expectation from ANYONE. It's like you buying a plant, the plant dies after a month and you go back and tell them "well, I was gonna use it next year so can I get a new one?"

Comment 3:

"I have never had a problem returning a defective item to any other retailer.Does anyone still need convincing that Best Buy is not the Best place to Buy anything?"

I'll see you on black friday bud!

In conclusion:

In my opinion, what the manager did was the outcome that we "tried" to satisfy your problem. It wasn't enough since you wanted your money back which couldn't be done due to the return policy violation.

Next time, read the return policy because I'm sure any other store would have done the samething.

Been working in retail too long and I do intend to follow commercial Law in school FYI.

GOOD LUCK

The arguments posted by those who apparently work for BB are quite revealing. Demonstrated here for all to see is the level of immaturity possessed by BB\'s employees coupled with an educational deficit.

When these traits are linked with BB\'s indifference toward consumers, it becomes clear why there are countless complaints concerning BB\'s customer service.Another Unrealistic Customer\'s inablility to think rationally is astounding. To compare an a/c return to a DUI stop is nothing short of ***. In addition, if one takes note of the tone of Another Unrealistic Customer, it will become quite clear why BB\'s financial status is trending downward.Unrealistic clearly reveals BB\'s attitude toward its customers by stating, \"...FYI; we DO THINK every customer is lieing to us..\" An adverserial attitude toward the consumer can hardly be the best foundation upon which to build a business.Another comment by Unrealistic also speaks volumes, \"I\'m sick and tired of customers expecting special treatment AFTER knowing the return policy.\" How about just fair treatment? And if BB was so concerned about its customers knowing the return policy, why do they hide it on the back of the receipt where nobody looks?

So if something is faulty and exchanged on day 30, then the new product fails on day 31, the customer is at the mercy of BB\'s generousity?!Also note the attitude of non-accountabillity: \"Perhaps I miss the part in where BEST BUY MAKES these AC\'s.\" According to this logic, a retail store can offer products for sale without assuming any responsibility for the products\' quality or operation -- a trial lawyer\'s dream.I will, however, take Unrealistic\'s advice to shop elsewhere. I have never had a problem returning a defective item to any other retailer.Does anyone still need convincing that Best Buy is not the Best place to Buy anything?

Try to find the comments written by the Best Buy employees.

"... the manager DID do you a favor"

sorry about that

why do you think ou deserve special treatment for this "case"??

I'm sick and tired of customers expecting special treatment AFTER knowing the return policy.

If you're drunk and you get pulled over do you tell the cop "CAN YOU JUST LET ME GO....YOU KNOW BREAK THE RULES ONCE"

The customer DID you a favor. In fact, he's going ABOVE and BEYOND his duties by "offering" you a store credit to buy another one. Perhaps I miss the part in where BEST BUY MAKES these AC's.

In fact, maybe your customer was probably even more *** by saying "don't buy it at best buy."

That's more unrealistic and *** that you expecting an actual refund.

The treatment by the employees which YOU call rude is because we're sick and tired of people EXPECTING special treatment like they're god.

NEXT TIME SAVE US ALL THE HEADACHE and go buy an AC somewhere else where they're going to give you the EXACT treatment because of your lack of "Down-to-earth" syndrome.

If both AC's went do you really think it's the AC's???

I'd probably say maybe as a "contractor" why don't you offer a surge protector?? TWO ac's failing is a LITTLE rare; and FYI; we DO THINK every customer is lieing to us therefore we test EVERY PRODUCT for defects because a lot of people are scammers and that's NOT the way to do business.

Next time here's an idea:

Buy the PSP or at least tell your customer "Hey if you want to, you can get the PSP for 3 or 5 years for about 40 bucks more and if anything goes wrong we'll take care of it..... service it or replaced it"

that's the way to do your business.

Unfortunately, noone can make you happy, he offered an exchange and you said no. what you wanted can no longer be granted but yes it's still best buys fault.

GOOD LUCK

Best Buy has the worst employees. I had a similar run around when trying to return an unopened (still in plastic rap) dvd...

I even had the receipt.

But, no, their 25 year old manager said I stole and copied it... and he must be the BB god because there was no one else to talk to.

Never buy anything from Best Buy!!

View more comments (11)
Service
Best Buy Installation
Loss

Laptop returned 4 times - GeeksSquad did not repair and lied | Best Buy review from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

I have been a customer of the Red Lion Rd and Roosevelt Blvd Best Buy for yrs now and am extremely unhappy with the treatment that I have been givien by them in regards to a laptop that I purchased from them. I went in to their store to look at a laptop that they were advertising in their weekly flyer and when I got there,it was sold out.I looked around and found a much better one at more than double the cost and asked if they had it in stock.They said yes so I bought it.I also bought all the extra warranties and protection services that they offered with it so I would have no issues with it. I only had it for 11 months and had to have it back to them 4 times for repairs. Each time they(their geeksquad) fixed it the repair laster for 1-3 months before it gave me problems again. Anything from not being able to update my security to not even being able to log onto the internet. They "claim" to have done everything fdorm reflash the harddrive to replacing it.The last time I had it in to them,I told them I didn't want it back until it was completely fixed no matter how long it took! They told me they would have to send it out to HP for service this time and could take 3-4 weeks.I agreed.Within a week they called me and said my laptop was ready?? I asked how it came so fast,and they said they didn't know but it was back. I went to get it and the same week,it was coming up with all kinds of errors and shutting down the laptop.I complained to them saying that my manufacturers warranty was up in less than a month and I wanted a new laptop(which is in their warranty agreement. It states that Best Buy will replace your laptop if they cannot fix it! They just told me to bring it in again for them to fix it!!! I told them that that is not satisfactory and that even if they fixed it, it would only last for a short time and I would be at the same spot im in now,but without even my manufacturers warranty which was up in a few weeks. They then told me that I would have to deal with HP directly from then on!! I told them that thats why I bought all the extra warranties so I didn't have to go through this.They just said that they could not help me anymore and I would have to go through HP! I was still paying them,had it back 4 times and still had a probelm, but I would have to deal with HP on my own now! So I did contact HP and to my surprise, they never had my laptop in for reapirs as Best Buy stated! Best Buy completely lied to me about sending it to HP!! HP then told me to send in the laptop to them so they could look at it.Withing a few days of receiving the laptop, HP contacted me and said that the laptop was beyond fixing and that they were going to give me another one. In fact, they even upgraded it to an even better one. I contatced Best Buy corporate and told them what happened, and they basically brushed me off as the local store did. I told them that I had all the repiar orders form the geeksquad showing that it is a continuing problem,and they said they didn't care! I told them that while my laptop was getting fixed or replaced,I would not continue to make payments and in fact wanted a credit for all the times my laptop was in their shop for repairs.Why did I have to pay for something that was broken more than it was up and running?They just said that it would be foolish of me not to pay as it would hurt my credit!!! A multi-million dollar a yr company and they couldn't even satisfy one customer with one laptop!! Especially since all they had to do after the 2nd or 3rd time was to send it in to HP and they would have replaced it! I didn't ask them for money back,or a better computer(which this one was suppose to be)I only wanted to be able to use it and not keep getting these temporary fixes! I am completely disgusted by how they handles this and the lack of dedication to their customers! I have bought 2 computers form them withing a yrs time(one laptop and one desk top)which cost over 3k total.I am not a consumer who buys the cheapest products and expects them to perform like the best.I spend the extra money to get top of the line equipment and all associated warranties to protect them.This situation proves that they couldn't care less about me,or any other customer of theirs.They only care about getting your money and when you have a problem,they completely dismiss you! Please tell anyone you know to stay clear of their business before you get screwed over as I did.

Here's what I have found from going through my horrible experience. First, you must write and fax at least 4 letters and file complaints with your Attorney General, the Better Business Bureau and the Federal Trade Commission before they will actually call you back.

Until then, call them every day. Call 888-BESTBUY and ask for Consumer Relations each time. Don't ask for any other department because they have no idea what they are doing. If the store ever has to ship anything out for repair, make sure you get a tracking number and follow up to make sure that it has actually been sent out on the date that was represented to you.

If you are able to, call every day and every hour until someone finally does something and then continue to file complaints with every bureau you know. Also if the Best Buy is a member of a Chamber of Commerce or other professional organization, let them know how you are being treated.

I am sure that these organizations will not be happy to know their members are treating consumers like ***. I will never shop at Best Buy again and would strongly suggest that everyone else do the same.

That happened to my brother a couple of times. The first time they said it was shipped of to HP it was gone for three months.

Then when it came back it stopped working again about 4 months later. This time I called HP and talked to them. They did get it the second time and had to replace the MB.

My brother was so pissed. That is a long time to go without your HP laptop when you are in college.

Wow!! I had a very similar situation happen to me at Best Buy and I was a happy customer for years until I found out how *** their customer service is and how cheap they are!

I HATE BEST BUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They don't give 2 craps about their customers. As long as they get the money out of our wallets and into their greedy hands they could care less what happens to us or our defective products that we bought from them. Best Buy is a *** company and everyone with a few brain cells left should realize this sooner or later.

Those who don't, STAY AWAY FROM BEST BUY!! They sell absolute ***, they lie to their customers, and they could care less about us once they have our money and will do everything in their power to get more money out of us dishonestly!

DOWN WITH BEST BUY!!!!!!! :(