Black Tie phone protection plan | Best Buy review from Rockaway Township, New Jersey

We had been paying for the best buy black tie phone protection plan for months and when we finally needed it, we were not given a new phone as promised and had to fight with best buy to get a new phone. We were never told that if we did not cancel the protection plan on the broken phone, we would continue to be billed. Months went by and best buy was deducting for the service on the new phone from our checking account and then approximately 6 months later, they billed a credit card of mine for $16.00 4 times in one day. I called them and told them we were paying for the protection plan from our checking account and they should not be taking from my checking account and credit card for a protection plan on one phone. They promised me a refund of $96.00 and when it was never credited to my card, and I called them about it, they told me they had decided to refuse me the refund because we never cancelled the plan on the broken phone. We were led to believe that the plan on the broken phone would transfer to the new phone and all would be fine. I have cancelled the plan and will never shop at best buy again. How they can justify charging twice for a service plan, one on a new phone and one on a de-activated broken phone is really questionable.

Call the credit card company and tell them that you would like to file a complaint under the Fair Credt Billing Act and want the charges refunded to your account. Ask them for the procedure.

If the represenative is unaware of the Act ask for a supervisor. The Act is federal law. Also you may file a complaint with the New Jersey Office of Consumer Affairs at (973)504-6200.

The Dec 2012 issue of CONSUMER REPORT rated retailors. Best Buy was at the bottom.

John N

First of all, you are throwing money away on a "protection" plan. Like extended warranties, this is usually a waste of money and a scam.

Almost always a waste of money.

Second---never, ever let anyone take money automatically from your bank account or charge your credit or debit card.

Why would you allow someone to do that? As you found out, you play *** trying to get them to stop or correct their mistake.

Thirdly---dispute the charge with your credit card company.

@John N

lrn2read your reciepts. They state CLEARLY in very plain english that the plan will bill for 23 months unless you call 1-888-best-buy to cancel the plan.

The billing system is nothing more than a computer program..

It does not come laced with miss cleo, so it does not know when a phone is de-activated by your wireless carrier.

View more comments (2)
Loss
My 14 year old son bought a used Sky RiM vidio game for his play station 3 from Best Buy with his own money. When he tried to play it, the game froze. The next day my wife drove him back out to Best Buy. My son wanted to purchase a new Sky Rim video game so he would...
Mike_mn

Bottom line, the store manager did refund the money via store credit, and that's something he didn't need to do.

Also, they agreed to exchange it with another game. You could have also arranged to wait to exchange it when the other game comes in.

This time, I have to side with BB.

It's difficult when our children purchase items with their own money, and we feel they've been taken advantage of. It's happened to my son when he was much younger, and I felt terrible about it. Not with BB, with another place. Nothing we could do. He was out the money. I used it as a learning experience with him, and I made up the money he lost. Now he knows!

Framing this only retains and reinforces the anger every time you see it.

View more comments
Service
Best Buy Deal

Best Buy Provides Terrible Customer Service

I ordered three DVDs on cyber monday that were expected to arrive at my house between December 12th and 17th. I received an email saying all three items were backordered and to call their number to either cancel my order or change it to store pickup. As these items are a christmas gift I wanted to switch it to store pickup so I called and the representative told me it did not show the items were backordered on her system so I should call back tomorrow. I called the next day (Friday) and was told someone was trying to fix my situation and would e-mail me back on Monday. No one ever emailed me so when I called again a new representative told me there was nothing she could do and I just had to wait until the items came in. I am beyond upset and I will never again shop at best buy.

The Dec 2012 issue of CONSUMER REPORT rates retailers on page 25. Best Buy is at the bottom.

Tags
  • Christmas gift

Lack of customer service from managers | Best Buy review from Mount Laurel, New Jersey

My husband and I walked in the Mall of Georgia Buford Best Buy store. We got a store associate to help us with iPods. We wanted a yellow 32 gig and apple store was sold out so we came to them. The associate took us up to front of store where the cage is. Female associate opened the cage and they had 32 GB yellow iPod so we then checked on a blue one as well for our son. They had it. We told them we needed to go get some Bose and beat headsets as well as the new iPad 4 32 gig. She said I will have these waiting for you at checkout. We got the headsets then had to wait over 45 min to get help with the I pad because the store didn't have the proper number of associates spread throughout the store. When we got up front to get the iPods with the associate that finally helped us with iPad the female associate had been told by a female manager to sell the yellow iPod to another customer even though she knew we were still in store. The male manager apologized and said what can I do to make it right. We said sell us the yellow 64 gb iPod at same price as the 32 since you sold it out from under us and didn't have enough ppl working in iPads. He said I cannot do that. We sad so you are willing to let us walk when we are standing here fixing to spend 2000 on electronics. He then goes to look to see if they have another store with the yellow 32 that can mail it to us. We finally decided to *** with him. If he wanted to lose 2000 of sales over 100 dollars he deserves the fall out. We went to Brand smart got the headsets from them. They matched Best buys price. We got home and Walmart has the same I pods we wanted for .84 more no sales tax. Amazon has same iPods for .84 more plus we get free shipping and pay no sales tax. Target has same iPad not much more plus are giving a $60 gift card with purchase. Plus my oldest daughter works at target and can get her employee discount which actually will make it cheaper. All I can say is. Corporate is gonna be pissed once they call on Monday. Lol the corporate office person that took complaint wasn't happy an said that was poor math on their managers part. I have no clue what the deal s up with some store managers now but Best Buy you just lost a customer that spends thousands of dollars a year with your store. Plus hat makes a 6 figure income and has no problem buying the top o he line products. Remember that as your stocks continue to decrease. :)

Another common example why Best Buy is going under.

Best Buy bait and switch

I saw windows 8 pro on sale for $70. at best Buy, I thought this is too good to be true so I called their 800 number, they stated that this is the full version and not the upgrade. I was still hesitant and decided to get this in writing, so off to my local Best buy store, where they did state it was the full version too but refused to give me anything in writing....Now I'm getting suspicious. I write an email to Best buy support and flat out asked if this was a full version or the upgrade, they replied that this is indeed the full version. I made my purchase. Flash ahead and on Oct. 26th I get my disk in the mail. I open it and find "upgrade" on the bottom part of the disk! Back to the store to get my refund but what did I find out that the store manager ( I had to ask for the manager) stated that "It is a Federal Law" that I can not return the disks! This was a flat out lie! It might not be Best Buy's policy to accept open software but it is not a federal law or any law anywhere. I filed a complaint with my States Attorney General Consumer Complaint Division and another complaint with the FTC. Best Buy is still selling what they claim is a full version and sending out upgrade versions. If you were hood winked from Best Buy on your Windows * Professional disk then I urge you to file a compliant also. We the consumers need to get together on things like these scams and bait and switch tactics and see that Best Buy gets fined for ripping people off!! We can stop these corporations from abusing the consumer but we have to work together on this

Its funny how these Best Buy employees (mostly all teenagers) try to defend their less than honest company. There have been so many PROVEN deceptions that States'Attorneys had to get involved.

I believe that these kids are given paid time to post on websites like these.

File your complaints with your State Attorney's Office of Consumer Protection and continue to post on websites like this. Then send copies of the comments to the State'sAttorney's

Office.

I believe that these kids are given paid time to post on websites like these.

Office.

Buy it and find out yourself.

I find it very pathetic when best but employees get on here and feel the need to name call and act like little children isn't it? It must be a best buy employee because they are clueless about what they sell....as the last poster clearly shows

It's funny cause. The $69.99 version was the full version. Fool.

obviously Mr truth must be a best buy employee because he childishly reverts to name calling

wow, your an *** and you are wasting valuable resources on your mundane entitled life. GET OVER YOURSELF!

Doesn't it say right on the box whether it is the "upgrade" or "full version". All of Microsoft's previous operating systems have said right on the front of the box whether it was the "full" or upgrade version.

and to top it off tiger direct had the upgrade for $38.00 friday.

They told me three times it was the full version and then they sent the upgrade version. How is that not a Bait and Switch?

Just because it's best buy does not justify the means to deceive.

If people got together when corporations mistreat them then possibly we might get laws enacted to stop this type of business practice.

Since when should it be o.k. for any business to lie to their customers?

How is this bait and switch? It's pure idiocy on Best Buy's part, but what else did you expect?

It's Best Buy. Wouldn't they rather you pay for the full version because it's more money?

View more comments (9)
Service
Best Buy Manager

Rude customer service | Best Buy review from Barnegat Township, New Jersey

I called to see if they had the movie Across The Universe at the best buy on central avenue in Yonkers and was treated rudely on the phone. I waited on hold for about 6 minutes while rushing over to the actual store because I knew I'd have to go in anyway and find the movie myself. Finally a woman answered and I had to repeat the name of the movie about 10 times and then was hung up on because I hearig difficulties which is fine, but when I called back and politely said I was the person calling back for the movie but was hung up on, she responded "YO I didn't hang up on you!". I've never sent a complaint to any store but I just felt that whoever was on the other end of the phone was lazy, unprofessional and rude. So shop at best buy at your own risk!

Wireless Router | Best Buy review from Lodi, New Jersey

I purchased a wireless router on Saturday 8/11 from the Springfield store, the associate was very nice and very reasuring me that it was a simple hook up and if I had any problems to call 1888bestbuy, so on Tuesday was my first chance to hook this wireless router up. I called the 1888bestbuy number and the girl had not a clue what I was talking about when I told her that I was having a problem hooking up this wireless router she told me to call my cable company. I then call the geek squard and spoke to Chris he was not at all helpfull and very very rude to me when I told him I was just gone to return the router he rudly said well go ahead and suggested that I call my cable company. I feel that these people heard that I was frustrated and should of been more helpful and not so rude to me.
Chris N

Did you try contacting the tech support for the manufacturer of the router? I find they can be much more helpful.

Loss

Fraudulent!!! The points cost way more than the prize. But then they never sent the prize. | Best Buy review from Newark, New Jersey

They charged an initial fee. Then I bought points and began to bid on a $100 gift card to Best Buy. It wound up costing about $200 for this $100 gift card and I considered it a lesson learned. But then I never received the Gift card. Several months later I was on the phone with BidSauce and given a royal runaround. First they said it was being mailed that week. For weeks that was what I was told. They kept saying they were a little backed up. After many months, they began to say that they had a different problem. They claimed that the gift cards came from a merchant who hadn't paid up. They continued to run their auctions but claimed that they couldn't use the money they were making to pay for my gift card. That was supposed to be from a different source who didn't come through. What hog wash!!! They told me to keep waiting as they were trying to work it out. It has been almost 2 years and I have long since given up on ever getting my gift card. PLEASE DO NOt PATRONIZE THIS SITE- YOU WILL GET THE SHAFT. FOREWARNED IS FOREARMED!

This has nothing to do with Best Buy.

First of all, how is this Best Buy's fault?

Secondly, who doesnt know that all those point auctions sites are complete scams? You're probably the type that sends $2000 to a Nigerian prince.

View more comments (1)
Product
Best Buy Gift Card

Best buy would not pay for repair under warranty

my son was moving to Japan to work,so he purchased a Toshiba computer with extended warrany, from best buy while in Japan something happened to the computer he got in touch with best buy and was told to have it fixed over there and to mail the pd.bill to some place out west,he could not do it so i got all the info.and mailed it out it was for a lousey $100 that was over 5 years ago and waiting,so i tell all my friends and relatives to stay away.i hope they do.it
Patrick

I can't even understand half of what you said.

Uninformed sales people | Best Buy review from Newark, New Jersey

I went to Best Buy to purchase a laptop the other day. I only had one requirement for a computer. I told the sales person that I wanted a laptop with a really quiet fan. I stressed this, because it was the one thing I really needed. He showed me a laptop and told me it should be the quietest in the store. I purchased it and began using it. The fan is really loud and runs often. It drowns out my music or whatever I'm doing at the time. It's a bit ridiculous since all I sacrificed on so many other features to get one that supposedly had the quietest fan. They also sold me several things to install from CD, but neglected to tell me that the laptop had to internal CD drive. Now I have internet security that cost me 100 dollars, but no way to install it on my loud laptop. Thanks.

Why didn't you turn the computer on in the store? Then you could have seen if the fan was too loud for you.

I will let you in on a secret. You won't find your mommy in a Best Buy store so you have to make up your own mind what you want to buy

I hate customers who demand some ridiculous requirement of their purchase. "I want pickles the size of a quarter"..."I want you only to develop the pictures that came out"..."I want a computer with a quiet fan" :zzz :zzz :zzz

Patrick

honestly, people that know absolutely nothing about computers should just stay away from them if they're too dumb to learn anything.

View more comments (2)