Review from Lombard, Illinois | Best Buy review

I had a horrible expierence when trying to ask about a job at the best buy mobile in gurnee mills mall. I walked in and asked an employee at the register about how the job was, how old you have to be, and about customers. When I got to the part about wage/benefits it all turned south. He had a disgusted look on his face then told me that my application would be better suited "across the way" which would be the Victoria's Secret outlet across the hall. The fact that he tried to make a *** insult at me just disgusted me. We are living in the 21st century and we are still doing this? Inexcusable

Um....uh....just for the record....you are a girl?

Review from Chicago, Illinois | Best Buy review

I purchased a laptop charger just under a month ago. It wasn't working with the laptop as I hoped, so I went to return it. I had my receipt all the original packaging. Nothing was ripped open or missing. I received an in store credit for $71 and I never shop at Best Buy. This was a special circumstance that I needed professional guidance on what to buy. NEVER AGAIN will I shop at this store. The customer service person could have cared less that I was sold something that didn't work. I plan on telling all my friends and family about their policy. As well as posting on facebook and other complaint websites.

Upset | Best Buy review from Skokie, Illinois

unfortunately we won't be coming back to this store (or best buy again). we were verbally told that we can return a product that we had purchased prior to a move from another state (this product was shipped to Illinois) at any time within a couple months of receiving it (which apparently was a lie, probably to make a sale). we received the product about a month and half ago (was shipped to a family member's house) and we moved back several weeks ago. we opened the product and it was damaged, so we brought the product back to best buy. customer service told us it didn't matter what the other employee had told us, on the receipt it states "14 day return policy on most items". the frustrating things are: the lie that the employee told us at best buy just to make a sale, the 14 day return policy for everyone (UNLESS you are an elite member... that just makes this return policy worse because apparently it wasn't that customer service couldn't help us, they wouldn't). we would never abuse a return policy and it is unfortunate that this company could not give us store credit or a refund, especially at this day and age where most reputable and successful companies do have a better return policy. we are pretty upset. we understand that companies don't mind upsetting a couple customers here and there, but that is eventually what determines the course of a successful vs unsuccessful business. i guess we'll never know what it is like to be an elite member, as we will not be going back to best buy...

Helpful Tech make sure to inform ur CEO of worst buy how unhelpful u & all the other *** artist employed at Worst Buy r that will b the most helpful u have ever been n ur Geek *** life..

Deasha

I'd be suspicious as soon as anyone told me I could return something so long after the initial purchase. It may have been something that they did specifically at only that location.

Best Buy Reserve

I received a "Best Buy Reserve" offer last summer to activate a new phone by end of the year to receive a $50 Gift Card. Hadn't really decided if I was going to get a phone but I replied to the text to place my "reserve" just in case. Eventually I decided to go in and trade it for the next generation. Great chance to get a new phone, right" Plus there was a $50 immediate discount through the manufacturer (Apple) on all IPhones. End of July I bought a phone - had it activated asked about the Best Buy Reserve Offer and was told I would receive an email regarding the "gift". After three weeks I noticed I hadn't received anything - went in the store and asked the cell phone rep and he said I should have received the email and would send it out again, check email within next 30-45 mins. Still nothing...and this happened a few times after several trips into the store and calls to Customer Service over the next 6-8 weeks. Not to mention that I explained the issue over an over again each time I spoke to someone (annoying). Life goes on, I put it aside for awhile since I was getting no where but then in November thought I'd follow-up. Although there were helpful reps that tried many times to send me the supposedly infamous email including the offer that never came, when I finally spoke to a manager I was treated as though I initially contacted Best Buy and made up the offer. I finally wrote to their corporate office and now into the new year received a very vague but harsh letter saying that I did not qualify for any additional reimbursement. So guess what - 2014.... I received a new BB offer for a $50 Gift Card with reservation for new phone purchase. Nope - not going to get my business again. Even though they have trained their employees to be courteous - their management and corporate relations are HORRIBLE!!!! Start retraining your management level on how to treat your customers or maybe to even find out more before putting a hand in the face and stop false advertising BESY BUY(?)! Love my phone but not the shoddy business behind it. I'll bet the manufacturer would not be too happy with the way customers purchasing their product are treated.

NJ In agree Best Buy has 0 customer service & they lie about everything the corporate people are doing anything to scam customers I just bought a laptop & couldn't believe how the employee treated me I want purchase batteries from the crooks....BYe BYe WORST BUY..

The Best Buy offers a mediocre service. The staff is not qualified to discuss the technicality of any product.

I purchased a Nikon camera for over $600, and when I came home and opened the box, there were many items missing. I returned the same day to return it, because I did not want to get stuck with a useless item. After all the hassle, the staff did not even care to prologize for the inconvenience, nor did they offer an explanation to why these items were missing from a perfectly brand new box. Anyway, I will never buy anything from Best Buy, nor will I recommend it to any one.

The store in question is the one located at Ontario street in Vancouver. The staff should learn from the Europeans who treat their customers like Kings.

But then, what could we say, knowing that these stores hire the high school dropouts. what a shame!

Loss

The worst customer service experience I ever have | Best Buy review from Aurora, Illinois

I always like shopping at Best buy, but I am changing my mind after tonight's experience. I bought a new macbook air with my student coupon in YorkShire Plaza, Aurora on June 21, 2014. I was happy because I got a new computer. After I bought the Macbook Air. I found out a lot of people in the Dealmoon.com said the Best Buy can also take a another USPS movers 10% off coupon with this deal. The fact is there are people left comments said they did buy the macs with two coupons without any problem. I went back to the Best Buy at night to check is that ok to redeem my 10% off coupon. The lady in the customer service changed her face quickly after saw I already got a discount in my receipt. She said they can only took one coupon and I can do anything for you because that is a double dip. I said other customers can get both and why I can't. So I said I get you if it's ok to type it on your system to see how it shows, if your system shows it is not allowed then I will leave. I tried to ask her can she please just give a try many times. She keep refusing me and told me it will let her break the policy. She was talking the loudest and with really strong voice to me. I asked why there are differences between stores. She said, because the other stores may did wrong and broke the policies so she won't try it for me. Later, another lady came out said the same things and she also it is not fair to her if I am asking her to try the coupon code, because it means I am letting her to break the policies. What does the lady's words mean? So she means I am the bad customer to force your people to try the wrong thing? I don't understand why the customer services in this store think they are right with a impatient attitude to a customer, and said the other Best buy stores and customers in nations who got the deal were all wrong. I don't know what is BestBuy's policies in the ladies' minds and I am Not a Best Buy staff why I have to obey. Are all best buy check out policies different? Why I can't get what others can get? I don't know why I had terrible Customer Service even-though I spent my money in this store?!
MattD78

Very few if any retail stores will allow you to combine promotions/coupons. It says this most often in the coupon itself.

If another store screwed up in your favor consider yourself lucky, but you are not entitled to profit from a mistake even if it does work.

So if the lady had entered the promo code and it worked, you would have gotten a further discount you technically weren't entitled to. And yes, you are a bad customer for trying to force someone to do the wrong thing, that's called stealing.

Tags
  • customer serivce conversation

Bought a Microsoft Surface that was a lemon | Best Buy review from Chicago, Illinois

I bought a Microsoft Surface. They convinced me to buy their support agreement (which I'm now sceptical about) rather than a regular 3-year agreement like I have had previously with HP and Apple. The Surface kept crashing (the screen would freeze, and the only way out was to crash the computer). After three trips in to the Geek Squad, they said I could get a new 'refurbished' computer. Both Apple and HP would have given me a new computer. How do I know they just didn't tinker with the old computer and send it back? I had purchased the computer only 2 months earlier. The staff was nice but ... I felt they should have given me a new one. They knew it was a lemon.
MattD78

So then why not take the Surface to Microsoft under their manufacturer's warranty and then use Best Buy's portion of the warranty after the 1 year from Microsoft? I get that you feel they should have given you a new one.

I'd read over the Geek Squad protection as they usually do have clauses for 'lemons'.

I'm just saying it's usually a good idea to go through the manufacturer first even with an extended warranty, especially if the extended warranty has a limited number of repairs/replacements. No sense using those up if the manufacturer will cover them, but the extended warranty is useful when the manufacturer's runs out.

Loss

Bad customer service & Samsung 5 is horrible | Best Buy review from Hodgkins, Illinois

On 1 June 2014, my Samsung 5 experienced a software error and I could not use it. I went to Best Buy 02June14, to return the device because I bought it exactly 2 weeks ago, along with the Geek Squad plan. As I explained the situation to the Best Buy employees in the phone area, they responded with a CONDESCENDING "you have no choice but to wait one week for Verizon to do their correct update because all the Samsung 5 have been experience this". Are you kidding me? I am going to wait one week to use my 2 week old phone. And as I proceeded to explain to them that as a customer I should not wait a week or another second because the phone is defective and that I am here to obtain another device because it is within my 2 weeks and I bought the geek squad maintenance plan, they proceeded to say in a CONDESCENDING manner "then go over there"... The Geek Squad employee was polite and explained that I had to pay 150.00 extra for a defective phone because that is their policy. Really?...The customer has to pay extra for a defective product after paying extra a month for their Geek Squad plan? I left, went to Verizon and had everything settled because I have my phone plan with them. They will be sending me a new phone.

It's not a Samsung or Best Buy issue. VERIZON has released a bad update to there phones.

VERIZON won't admit it but all you have to do is google it and you will see. VERIZON is the bad guy in this issue not Best Buy.

You said it yourself, it was a SOFTWARE issue. Done.

Still waiting for your new phone from Verizon?

Bet took a week, huh? SMH

Review

Bait and switch at best buy

On wednesday november 27th I printed a screen shot of an online and instore $249.00 price on a 39 inch insignia tv from best buy. I was going to take it with me black Friday to pick up. it has the model number on it. I looked on line thanksgiving and noticed the tv went up in price??? I went to the store, talked with Nate and he said the lower price was only a short period of time and would not drop the price. I admit I did not notice if the ad was for a period of time or not, but what store drops a price before black Friday then increases on black Friday? doesn't it work the opposite? the store also has a policy of all sale items being honored at the lower price with proof. when I mentioned that he said that was for products from different stores? I felt like this was a bait and switch.. just low enough and for a long enough time to get you into the store. companies have been known to raise original prices then offer them at 50% off. this felt the same way. I was duped and they did not play fair with pricing and advertising. price was a short period of time and he On Wednesday before this past Thursday, I found a 39 inch tv online and also offered in stores at best buy. I printed the information to take to the store today black Friday. I did not read or look to see if the price was "special" for a day, an hour etc. last night Thursday I saw on line the price was 30 dollars more. curious because black Friday is (besides cyber Monday) "the lowest prices. I called the store and the outgoing message stated that if there was a product with a lower price anywhere, they would honor that price. the store manager, Nate, stated the price was for a short period of time, and that the "guarantee of honoring" a lower price did not apply. he stated that they "stagger" by days and hours, the prices of products so there is fluctuation in prices of "same items" this is bait and switch in my opinion. I had the flyer in my hand, no where did it say "priced for a day, etc" also just as good customer service, he refused to give me the tv for the lesser price. regardless of whether there is "fine print" about such things, it is very disappointing to start your black Friday with a price increase.

worst buy strikes again. Higher the prices before the sale. Sound like a great policy worst buy

Review

Best Buy - Terrible customer service!

I went online to purchase some of the pre-Black Friday deals that Best Buy is advertising. I've never purchased from their website before, but I have bought things in their stores, from which I have a My Best Buy rewards account. I placed the items I wanted to buy in my "cart" and go to check out. It tells me that I need to log in to check out, and that I can do so using my rewards membership number. I enter all the information correctly, and it pops up with an error telling me that something has gone wrong on their end and to try again later. I tried a couple more times, even in a different browser, and it still wouldn't work, so I started a chat online with one of their customer service folks. He was unable to help me and told me that I needed to call their 800 number, so I did. Once I navigated the automated phone system, I got connected with a woman I could hardly understand. I had to explain to her 3 times what the issue was, and her solution - "Do what the error message says and try again later." Are you kidding me? I ended that call, and immediately called back, hitting "0" as soon as I got connected. The lady who answered this time connected me with another rep. who then proceeded to hang up on me while "attempting to transfer my call". I called back a THIRD time, hit zero, got another lady, and then got hung up on again. This is total, complete BS. It's Thanksgiving week people. I get that you're busy and annoyed with people calling. But don't advertise these "awesome" deals if you can't hold up your end of the bargain, especially when the offers are only available ONLINE. I will never shop at Best Buy again!
Product
Best Buy Website

A tale: my recent experiences with Best Buy

This all culminated about a year ago, but I gathered all correspondence into one document. It has now become a bit of a joke amongst my friends and I'm asked to read it at parties. I even read it onstage recently at a storytelling show... I don't think it's all that entertaining (except Cherie's response at the end), but people always roll in the aisles... probably just because I get all red-faced and do some silly voices while I'm reading it. A few friends encouraged me to post it on some customer service forums to see what happened. If you actually read all of this, I'd like some advice as to where I went wrong. What should I do in the future when these kinds of problems arise? Best Buy is pretty much the only electronics retailer left in my town, so I'm kind of stuck with them. I like *buying* things there, but I hate *shopping* there. Any advice is appreciated! I'm expecting nothing, as usual, but here goes... I sent this via the 'contact us' page on 11/8/12: At the behest of your customer service representative, I would like to write about my frustrations with Best Buy. I will recount the most recent experience first. On October 17, 2012, I received an email that I had until November 17 to use a Reward Zone certificate. Shortly afterward, I attempted to redeem it at bestbuy.com but received two alternating error messages: "We do not recognize the following Reward Certificates: ###########. Please try another Reward Certificate." And (paraphrased) The Reward Certificate number does not match the Member number. I attempted to use the certificate several times over the next three weeks, but received the same error message(s). I attempted to resolve the problem via online chat, but was told to call 888-BESTBUY and speak to a Reward Zone representative. Every single experience I’ve had with calling in has been incredibly time-consuming, and no issue has ever been resolved, so I asked if there was any other way to resolve the issue and was told no. This morning at 8:17am central, I called 888-BESTBUY and asked to speak with a Reward Zone representative. The first person I spoke with had difficulty understanding my problem at first. I was put on hold several times and after I was able to fully explain the situation, the representative told me to print the certificate and bring it to a store. I explained that because of transportation issues, this is not an option for me. I was put on hold again and then told that there was a "system problem" and to try again in 24 to 48 hours. At this point I asked to speak with someone else. At approximately 35 minutes into the call, I was connected with a Reward Zone supervisor to whom I re-explained the problem. She initially thought it might be a problem with my original certificate, so she issued me another one. I tried that one and received the same error message. She told me to print it and come to a store. I re-explained my situation and was put on hold. At approximately 50 minutes into the call, the representative took the SKU and my payment information and attempted to place my order for me, but received the same error message. For a third time, I was told to print the certificate and bring it to a store, so I re-explained that that is not an option. At approximately 1 hour into the call, I was connected to a customer service representative in a different department. I’m not exactly sure what the purpose of this transfer was. The Reward Zone supervisor stayed on the line and the two of them talked about my situation. After I explained again that I wouldn’t be able to come to the store, the customer service rep looked to see if I could be issued a gift card to substitute for the Reward Zone certificate. Unfortunately, that wasn’t an option, so she had to tell me that there was simply nothing anyone could do for me. At approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes into the call, I asked if she could at least have an extension on the expiration date for my certificate. She said that she couldn’t do that but that she could transfer me to the Reward Zone department. I explained that I simply didn’t have any more time, as I needed to get ready for work. She was very apologetic, and the whole exchange was very civil, but I wanted to make it clear that this astoundingly inefficient and incompetent level of service is no longer an anomaly at Best Buy… it has become the norm. On that note, let me now copy you on a letter that I wrote to the store manager for the Champaign, IL Best Buy store about an experience I had earlier this year: . 1/6/12 To Whom It May Concern: I wanted to write a note about my recent shopping experience at Best Buy, Champaign, when I bought a new iPhone 4S. First and foremost, I don’t want to be "that guy," and write a scathing note to get anyone fired. I’m not really angry or anything… Rather, I’m a front line manager for another business here in town and after consideration, I figured that I would want to know if one of my customers had an experience like this one. I’m not a letter-writer, but I couldn’t find any other way to contact management. On Friday afternoon, January 6th, 2012, I came to the store with the intention of re-upping my AT&T plan and purchasing a new iPhone since I had gotten a gift card for Christmas. I went straight to the Mobile section and wandered for about 20 minutes. They were busy, so no one approached me, so I browsed around the store for a bit. Every time I returned, I received no attention. After approximately two hours in the store, I had to be somewhere else, so I had to leave. I went online that afternoon and purchased the iPhone through bestbuy.com. I quickly received an email that my order was ready for in store pickup. I was coming from out of town, so I couldn’t get to the store until about 8:15pm (the email mentions that pickup hours end at 9pm). I went to the customer service counter, and after a brief back and forth on the radio, I was told that my phone was at the mobile section. The mobile section was just as busy as it was earlier in the day, so after about a ten-minute wait, each of the three representatives (#1, #2 and #3) individually asked me what I needed. Each time I was asked, I gave my order number and said that I was picking up a phone. I watched as each of the three reps checked in the same two places for my phone, and then went back to helping someone else. When a fourth person (#4) came from a different area and asked if I had been helped, I said, "not really." I gave him my order number and said I was picking up a phone. He checked the same two places, conferred with the other three reps for a bit, and they said that I needed to go to customer service. I said that I had been there already, so #4 went to CS to check. After about a 10 minute wait (it was about 8:50pm at this point), #4 came back and said that the paperwork for my pickup was in the warehouse, but the phone was still in the mobile section. So he gave my paperwork to #3 and left. It was about 9:05pm when #1 asked if I had been helped yet. I said that #3 had my paperwork for my pickup. He looked at it and got an iPhone out of the drawer and spent the next 15 minutes or so activating it. That whole process went smoothly and #1 was very helpful during the activation process. At about 9:20, He handed me my phone and it was working immediately. Then, he asked me how I was going to pay for it. The two obvious issues were: #1 I had already paid for it online and #2 The readout was saying that I owed $700 for the phone, but it was actually just $212 with the re-upping of my contract. I told #1 both of these facts, and he asked #3 what he should do. #3 asked me "are you sure you paid for it?" I said yes and re-stated my order number. #1 called on his radio for help. A young lady (#5) came to his station and tried to help. After a short while, #5 said, "sorry, I can’t help you" and left. #3 also left and she started to clean the area around the mobile section. So #1 and #2 spent about 25 minutes figuring out how to apply my payment while I sat and waited. Finally, I took a brief bathroom break and when I returned, they had figured out the payment and said I could leave. I felt pretty guilty at this point, as #1 told me several times that the whole debacle had caused him to miss his last bus and he was going to have to find a ride home. I was interested in the black tie protection, but didn’t want to delay any more, so I figure I’ll have to come back to brave the storm at a future date. All in all, I’m happy with my iPhone. But needless to say, the whole process was pretty exhausting. I don’t know if it’s just my bad luck, but my last four shopping experiences (a laptop, two phones and an entire home theater system) at Best Buy have been some sort of train wreck, dealing with staff members who are either stretched way too thin (i.e. trying to help several customers at the same time) or undertrained on your system. I shop at Best Buy because of the selection, but the service has been so grossly substandard in recent years that I don’t see myself returning. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak further about this experience if you think it would help. My contact information is below. . I received no response to this letter. I would appreciate any sort of response to this correspondence. I’m an "electronics junkie" and I shop at Best Buy for the selection and, for some reason, out of a sense of loyalty since I’ve been going there for so long. However, I am considering switching to another retailer because every single experience I have had with your company over the last year has been incredibly frustrating. My time is valuable to me, but I don’t feel that it is worth anything when I am in your store or speaking with a representative of your company. And the kicker... here's the email response I received on 11/10/12. I haven't edited it at all (except for one swear word, which Best Buy's forum, ironically, is making me edit), so please forgive the myriad spelling and punctuation errors: Hi Mike, I am Cherie with Best Buy Customer Care. First and foremost allow me to apologize on behalf of the BestBuy group for the inconvenience you have experienced everytime you placed an order via online and instore.At Best Buy, we understand the importance of good service, as well as how frustrating poor service can be.Your experience with the agents approaches has been unpleasant.And,I really do appreciated your patience towards us,from all situations you have encountered with us wasn't really good at all but still you seemed to stay calm to give your repeated words/phrases just for the agents and manager to fully understand your issue and you still don't get too much pis-ed off.We salute you for that.We can't blame you if your decision to let go Bestbuy as one of your "favorite" store.We respect and understand you mike to that.For whatever dissapointing expections had happened to you from us would be our lessons to improve that and we thank you for that.This ain't a negative compliments to us but to face as positive challenge to take back our customers who has been dissapointed and left Bestbuy too as you are with our service.We will value this forever.Again sorry for everything that you have experienced from us.You will be valued Mike as our loyal and thoughtful costumer from Bestbuy and would always welcome you if you wish to do a purchased from us.May GodBless you always and Have good day! Sincerely,CherieBest Buy Customer Care Team
Courtnie

Where was the "rolling in the aisles" part? All I saw was a long, drawn-out, dry exchange that you created by refusing to come to the store.

Why couldn't you meet them half-way and do that? I call pure BS on this and that last letter was definitely a fake to make Best Buy look bad.

Wow wonder if lisa smith goes by Cherie. Pm her https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1095653427&fref=ts

Service