I bought 3 DS games for Christmas from Best Buy when they were having a buy 2 get 1 free sale.It turns out my nephew already had one of the games.

I tried to exchange the one he had but was told I couldn't because it was the one I got for free. I told them that I wasn't trying to return the game, just exchange it for one of the same price. Nope, I wasn't allowed. I even talked to a manager.

Since I technically paid $0 for the game, it was only worth $0. I explained that the game was listed as $29.99 on the receipt (even though I paid $0) and I was just exchanging it for another game worth $29.99.

It didn't matter.Apparently they are idiots and don't understand what an exchange is!!

Had an Experience with Best Buy?

Comments

I had the same problem!When I bought the games for my husband for Christmas, I made sure to ask if he could return them for something else if he wanted to and they said yes, as long as the plastic wrap was still on.

It was, but they told him if he exchanged the "free" game, he would have to pay $59.95 for it. WTF!

He actually went over to Game Stop and they gave him $60 store credit for it even though it wasn't purchased there because with the wrapping on, they could sell it brand new.Best Buy definitely lost our business.

itisjustme

Glad it worked out for you so well.Wow, you did good.

:O)

As for the comments on here...I noticed that too.

Its terrible..but thought since I understood what you were asking/talking about and had wondered the same (at the time I made my purchase) and asked...thought I would let you know what I was told.Again...glad it worked out so well for you.

kdoris

As a follow up, I called Best Buy customer service.They said they couldn't do the exchange because their computer system won't allow them to do so.

They are sending me a $40 gift card to get the game I want and I get to keep the game I don't need. At lesat they fixed the situation and won't lose my business.

As a side note, there are a lot of angry people posting to this site.

I posted to this site to vent my frustration.The responses I've seen are a little disturbing.

itisjustme

I can understand what you are requesting to do.I got 3 PS3 games there with that deal.

I even asked the sales person there if it would be an issue to exchange one if there would be an issue due to the buy 2 get 1 free. I was told no, there wouldn't be. As long as it was not open and I had my receipt. Luckily I didn't have to return/exchange any.

Did you talk to a manager?

I can understand you are only asking for an exchange not a refund.Hope it works out for you.

Don't know what happened with the first post so...

That is weak.You are too Chickensh*t to post by who you are.

You probably hide behind your mommy too. Now see, from here,I could have been as stup*d as you by attacking your mother. But I will not. If I have offended your fat video game playing a** then I am NOT sorry.

It gives me much happiness to know I struck a nerve with a fat little bast*rd like you.Go eat a doughnut.

That is weak.You are too Chickensh*t to post by who you are.

You probably hide behind your mommy too. Now see fat video game playing a** then I am NOT sorry.

I need to come clean everyone about my post 2 days ago.I am a worthless POS Best Buy employee and I'm in meetings to address my addiction of peeling one off while watching elderly women (and sometimes men) shop via our in-store security cameras.

My sponsor says I should come clean.Sorry I'm such a loser...

You could take the game to the pawn shop. Sell it and buy your lazy fat a** video game playing nephew some diet pills and a banana.

You paid nothing for the game.You wanted $30 in merchandise in exhange.

Nope. It's just like if you bought an item that was BOGO and wanted to exchange the second one for something else. No dice.

Either return everything you bought for a refund of the amount you paid or keep what you bought.This is how it works with sales that are buy X get one free.

I think you are the id*ot for not understanding this basic policy.