Verified Buyer

Verified Reviewer

If you buy a package deal for a phone or computer from Best buy you might be getting internet security and antivirus as a part of that deal. I got 2 Trend Micro boxes with a package deal.

They are priced at $49.99 each.

Since I already had security software protecting our family's devices I decided to wait for it to expire before installing the Trend Micro. At the time, my wife and I were told it should be ok. A couple of days ago our security expired, so I uninstalled it and proceeded to install the Trend Micro.

I opened one and used the key for installation and it says it is expired. I haven't opened the second one so it is still in the packaging, yet it is expired.

Took them to Best buy because it had to be a mistake, right? Nope, not a mistake.

Apparently, they activate them at purchase so even if you never use the key, it can and will expire. I asked the representative, So I basically got ripped off, right? She says, Yeah, I'm sorry, there's nothing I can do.

What a big joke.

I should have thrown those useless pieces of cardboard in recycling in front of them when we purchased the phones.

They could have at least told us this at purchase instead of telling us it should be ok.

Check your fine print people because if they can rip you off, they will, and they will point to the fine print that they know no one really reads. They don't really care what you were told at purchase.

Product or Service Mentioned: Best Buy Sales Representative.

Preferred solution: Exchange items for ones not expired.

Best Buy Pros: Lost my business going forward.

Best Buy Cons: Will rip you off like they did to me.

Location: 25080 Madison Ave, Murrieta, CA 92562

Comments

Sounds like the Trend Micro software was just a "trial" version of this stuff like the pre-loaded software that comes with many new computers, for example the Microsoft Office that came with a new computer but was only a trial version and if you wanted the full version you had to pay. In any event, there are many free anti virus and anti malware programs out there and thus, no need to pay for them.

The paid versions are usually a waste of money. As for best Buy, it's the same with most retailers: never trust the salesman to know the actual truth about a product---they don't, but will give you an answer you like in order to sell you the product.

Best Buy Reviews