Best Buy bait and switch

An Acer A100 tablet was offered for $189. Even though several locations claimed availability, I was told they were not available only after I entered all my credit card and personal information. In addition, I received emails confirming that the purchase was made and telling me to call Customer Service to have the unit shipped for free. After talking to Customer Service 4 times, I was still told there were no units available. and if they were, there was no shipping available for that unit. The normal price was for this unit around $350. 2 Days later, I see they are still on sale on the BB website. This time for $249. Again, when I went to the locations, and called Customer Service, they claim that no units are available. There were never an minimums mentioned on the site. I have customer service on the phone while writing this. I told them to check any store throughout the country and any warehouses. There are non available even though the website clearly says there is availability. I can understand if the website is not up to the minute accurate, but it's been four days and only the price has changed. But no "out of stock" or "not available at this time" message is posted by the item.

Sure thing:

Bait and Switch-

An illegal tactic in which a seller advertises a product with the intention of persuading customers to purchase a more expensive product. When a seller uses this tactic, they frequently tell the customer that the original product is sold out or no longer available (even if the product is indeed still available), and push hard for the customer to purchase the costlier product. This tactic can be considered false advertising if the seller is not actually providing the original product, but if the item is available but the seller strongly encourages the customer towards another item, in general no legal action can be taken.

So, how did Best Buy persuade the OP to buy a different, more expensive item? They didn't? Sorry, simply running out of a sale item doesn't count as bait and switch.

Simon~

WHy dont you explain the bait & switch instead of calling people names.... unless of course you dont actually know what it means!!!

BTW Anonymous good luck with your situation... :)

You should really learn what bait and switch is before you start accusing a store of it. It really makes you sound like a retard. Google it.

#381984

Ordered a TV this morning online. BB.com claimed the tv was available for shipping.

Checked status 3 hours later... back ordered. Canceled order.Used bb rewards points. Purchase another tv.

Come to find out that my bb reward points wouldn't be available for 3 to 5 days. BB policy is horrible.

View more comments (3)
Best Buy Shipping Service

Black Friday Blues | Best Buy review from Washington, District Of Columbia

I have been standing in line at the DC store since 10pm to get tickets for Best Buy black Friday Doorbusters. What a joke. They won't tell you how many tickets are available but they let hundreds of people into the lobby to wait in line. Noow it is almost midnight and the Best Buy staff who are at the end of the line are telling us that the tickets for the 42" TV were gone over an hour ago and most items in the ad don't even require a ticket. Why didn' they just announce this so peoplle would know to leave? With all of the electronics they sell, why couldn't they just put a marquee ticker showing number of tickets left for each item.
riderman

Tim Thomas, I notice you respond negatively to most posts complaining about Best Buy. Other than your command of the English language, correcting posters spelling/grammer, do you have anything to offer? Or just an axe to grind, so to speak.

PS: I'm sorry that you are unemployed.

Rider

I stood in line for 7 hours on black friday along with 300 other people all wanting the 42" flat screen TV for 199.. Then they finally started giving out tickets about 11:00 pm (only 16) YES ONLY 16 TICKETS !!!

I will NEVER go back to Best Buy.. They could have let us know the TVS were gone but they didn't and let us keep standing there hoping to get one...

NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!! :(

Black Friday at Best Buy SUCKS. Waited in line for 2 hours.

Sales associate told me I did not have to have a ticket to buy their advertised TV. Waited another 3 hours in another line, just to be told I could not get a tv because I did not have a ticket. I was PISSED off you can't even. Imagine.

Found all the tickets they gave out was to the 3, yes 3 people who were first in line. They should have said something to all the folks in line.

NEVER NEVER AGAIN. I will shop at all the other competitors and I will make sure to bad mouth BEST BUY to everyone.

The add clear has printed the amount the store needs to have for customers right under every door buster

Just to point it out plainly using excerpts from your post:

1. in line at the DC store since 10pm

2. hundreds of people

3. at the end of the line

Summed up with a line from the Best Buy Ad

"Minimum Quantity: 10"

View more comments (4)

Bye Bye Best Buy

I have paid my final visit to Best Buy after terrible customer service in West Nashville Tenenssee. To begin with, I looked without success for a salesperson to help navigate the differences between satellite radios on display. After making my best guess, I waited at check out while the only cashier left her post and accompanied another customer across the sales floor to point out which alternative item might be best. At least five minutes later, the line of customers was at least 10 deep. Another five minutes and cheerless female manager showed up to open a second register. The line of customers was now 15-20 deep. I expressed my difficulty finding any rep to assist me and it was clear Jesse the manager could not have cared less. She was hostile and let me know what an inconvenience it was for her to come work a register. In this economy i can definitely find another retailer that respects their customers and who wants our business and hard-earned dollars. Best Buy will no longer be an option when I have gifts to buy.

Amazon, in my opinion, is going to put Best Buy out of business because 1) you can get what you're looking for because it's in stock, and 2) their generous return policies. Bye-bye Best Buy--may you enjoy the company of Circuit City, Borders, and Linens and Things.

Best Buy/GeekSquad/A&E Factory Service - no service

My 85-year-old parents purchased a dryer from Best Buy 10 mos. ago that's under warrenty. They called the GeekSquad for service - who contracts to A & E Factory Service (in No. VA). An appt. was made for 3 days later. The night before, A&E canceled because they didn't have a repairman - so why was the appt. made? The next available appt. is in 2 weeks! There's no way my parents can lug laundry anywhere. I'm flying home, so I can't do it for them. I talked to A&E with no resolution. I requested that they pay a repairman overtime, they snorted & said no way. I requested that they squeeze my parents in by bumping a person each day until they're caught up & they said they wouldn't "intentionally" bump anybody:. We asked them to pay for an outside company, they said no, no to a loaner also'. They were rude:. We called Best Buy/GeekSquad, they'll write a complaint:. No loaner there either;. I'm so upset, I know I'll be talking about this for a long time". I sure won't buy anything from Best Buy & won't use the GeekSquad or A&E/. I guess since it's under warranty, they don't make money so why help us?

a&e are independent contractors that work for the manufacture of the product and are not owned or controlled by bb. Call the manufacture of the product and see if they have a local authorized servicer in the area

ruth

I agree. BestBuy Geek squad has already gotten there money from you for the product they aren't making money now on the repair.

Same thing happened to me.

I am done with Best Buy. I am cancelling my account with them and sticking to the "

Mom and pop stores.

View more comments (1)
Review

The worst GM (Raymond) and worst display of CS I have witnessed | Best Buy review from Washington, District Of Columbia

Raymond (GM at this store) I hope you read this because you totally suck as a GM and as a person. I am not one to do this (actually never wrote a negative review on the internet) but this was easily the worst showing of customer service I have ever seen in my life. I consider myself a nice, calm guy, who usually goes with the flow and never lose my temper. A little background: I bought a touchpad 16gb as a birthday present for my brother online and ordered it for in store pickup at this store. One day passed and did not hear anything about the status of my order so I called since my credit card was charged the full price ($434). Apparently they liquidated the item (I paid $434) that morning and did not know what to do about my order. The lady on the phone (who was very friendly and understanding to me) said that she had one more left from a customer who did not pick up their item that morning. She said she would put that one on hold so I could make the 30 minute drive to the store. I politely thanked her and took the commute down to the TO best buy. I arrived at that best buy and was greeted by a nice kid working customer service who took sympathy to my case. He said he would get the manager and see what they could do. This is when Raymond came along, the GM of the store, walking up to me the last thing he wanted to do was talk to me. The first thing he said, without me even uttering a word is "there is nothing I can do, they are sold out". I told him of my ordeal and he simply said "that sucks" and continued to say he couldn't do anything about it. Not once did he ever say the word "i'm sorry" or even care to check their stock . I told him one of his employees said they held one for me and made me do the 1 hour commute there and back to pick it up. His only response was "there is nothing I can do, best buy is sold out of them" even though I saw 2 touchpads sitting right on the shelf behind him. I asked him, "so what are those touchpads?" and his response was "oh those are accessories" even though he was blatantly lying to me. I told him it was a little ridiculous that I placed an online order yesterday at full price and never got a pickup confirmation but they would sell the product the next day for 1/4 of the price and not even notify me. His response again was "there is nothing I can do about that and you should have asked for a manager before you came in". The whole time I asked questions, perplexed what was going on, I could not believe this man had the audacity to stand there with a rude smirk on his face and not even offer a single apology or even try to help me in the situation. Does Best Buy really want a man like this running one of their stores? It really makes the company as a whole look bad and I will never, EVER, buy anything in store again. This was the worst display of customer service I have ever encountered and I hope to warn shoppers to be aware of this when shopping at the TO best buy because if you ever run into a problem, you WILL NOT BE TAKEN CARE OF. Not to mention the fact that I called best buy corporate to complain and was put on hold for 45 minutes and then they hung up on me (I was not as mad at that since the telephone people are friendly and courteous). Raymond I hope you read this and realize you are not God and you should treat people how you would like to be treated.

I am looking to buy two large appliances in the next week. I found some very good pricing at Best Buy online.

However, I wanted to be sure about customer service, as this will be an outlay of a large sum of money. So I checked customer complaints regarding Best Buy before actually purchasing anything. Glad I did. The person writing this obviously wrote it because they could not get any private response from this company.

He sounds very reasonable. I do understand that the item sold out, but I do not understand why he was allowed to purchase an item online--with his credit card charged--only to find that nobody there had tagged one model as 'sold'. I can only surmise that those who buy something online are taking a wild chance. It appears they can charge you and have you come to the store and only then will you find you have not purchased this item at all.

This would only scare me away from online purchases altogether, but if this response above is truly from the store manager Raymond, then I am worried about an in-store experience as well. Raymond's response, if it is real, only proves this writer's complaint. The store made a mistake. They could have apologized and credited this guy's account, and perhaps offered him something similar.

I once had a store make a similar error, and the store made things right for me by giving me a slightly better item than the one I had bought. I came away from that experience a very happy customer despite the mistake. I do not live near this particular Best Buy, but I worry about a company that promotes and stands behind a manager of this sort. It sounds as though every other employee he came in contact with was professional and courteous.

I would think the store manager was overwhelmed, busy and having a bad moment when this customer arrived, but if this above response is Raymond's then it appears he thinks nothing of customers. I've worked with the public and I know it's difficult sometimes. Still, it is the customer who keeps the business afloat. Look what happened to Circuit City.

There is no way in this economy I would be this derisive to my customers if I was in their place. Raymond may be one manager, but why on earth would corporate be so unresponsive? I'm glad this guy took his complaint to the internet, as it has helped me know exactly which company to avoid now. Lowe's prices are a little higher, but I'm thinking it might be worth the extra money.

Thanks for posting this.

You did a public service. You probably saved me all kinds of money and trouble.

HAHA. This Raymond guy sounds like a small *** diouche bag.

The world would be a lot better without his kind. Enjoy your retail manager duties.

What do you want me to do? Sell you an item we don't have?

Excuse me while I wave my magic wand and make one appear. You are a real ***

View more comments (2)
Loss

Best Buy needs to go out of business already....

Update by user Jul 03, 2011

Well, thankfully and certainly due to the complaint that I filed through PissedConsumer.com, Best Buy/HSBC has updated their credit profile reporting for my account and it is up to date and current as it should have been the entire time.

Original review posted by user Jun 15, 2011

Best Buy is the worst company in the world and their credit card services are bad too. My account was marked as "late" in June, due to a payment issue in April, which I correct on APRIL 29TH!!! They will not rectify the situation in any way, shape or form despite the fact that I've made payments in April, May and now June. Their reps were of no help and all I received was attitude and snarl. I will be submitting complaints via the BBB and the Ohio AG's office. In an era of an ever-tightening dollar and consumer spending at an all-time low, these people decided to give me a run-around and attitude. Never again.

this again? really?

blaming best buy for a mistake at the bank? that doesn't make sense. hate best buy all you want, but make a valid complaint.

the store has nothing to do with billing, the bank does. so be pissed at the bank about this issue.

Well guess, what. The troll is back.

And guess what else, Best Buy/HSBC realized their mistake and, due to my complaint filed by Pissed Customer, have updated their crediting reporting through June, whereas in June they were only reporting through April, when THEIR mistake was made.

Suck on that simon/troll. The bill had always been paid on time and a MISTAKE BY HSBC (since I think you have a reading comprehension issue, being an internet person), caused this entire issue.

BTW the bill is completely paid off now. I will never set foot in that worthless franchise ever again.

Or perhaps you could just pay your bills on time and avoid situations like these.

"You can think what you want. I don't care. I don't think you're telling the whole story.

I still think if you paid your bills on time, there wouldn't be a problem."

You can think what you want, I love debating *** trolls. Yes I pay my bills on time. Best Buy (or really HSBC since they handle their Credit Cards) screwed up a payment and then reported it late on my credit due to THEIR mistake.

Now take your Best Buy shares and shove them.

I still think if you paid your bills on time, there wouldn't be a problem.

Simon IS a troll, but just to play his foolish game:

"Sounds like you didn't correct the issue. Like I said, pay your bills on time."

I DID pay it on time. That month's payment was paid through my bank in the first week of April. They didn't bother to post it until the 22nd. I fixed the issue on the 29th when I got the next bill but they screwed me anyway.

Now go troll someone else.

Simon is either a troll or has stock in Best Buy.

"My account was marked as "late" in June, due to a payment issue in April, which I correct on APRIL 29TH!!!"

Sounds like you didn't correct the issue. Like I said, pay your bills on time.

Hey Simon,

I DID pay the bill on time. It's NEVER been late. I thought I had made that CLEAR in the original complaint.

Pay your bills on time like you agreed to. Problem solved.

Best buy ripped off my son who is a marine they sold him a computer that was broken in the first month and said he wont have any problems he returned the broken computer again when he returned from deployment and was told there is nothing they would do for him because of time away dont do business with these criminals

BEST B

Is Best Buy in trouble? FROM MSN WEB SITE !

GOOGLE BEST BUY & HSBC COMPLAINTS , AMAZING THEY ARE STILL IN BUSINESS ! I CAN'T WAIT TIL BLACK FRIDAY & XMAS SEASON BUT I MIGHT SHOULD INACT PLANS NOW BECAUSE THEY BE OUT OF BUSINNESS BY THEN !

View more comments (11)
Review
We bough 10 days ago a refrigerator, a stove and a plasma TV 3d 51", and we schedule (after a long process in your store) the delivering of the appliances and the mountain of the TV. Once the guys with the appliance arrived I showed to them the basement entrance, where...
Review

The squad is incompetent. | Best Buy review from Washington, District Of Columbia

Brought my machine to the local place in Stafford,VA. for a 'Blue screen' memory dump issue. Today was the 5th time! After replacing memory sticks 3 times, the first set at my cost, despite the machine is under warranty. During the first visit one of their "Managers" told me to order the sticks since they were out of stock. First he gave me the wrong part number, then he recommended 8 GB, the machine takes only max. 4 GB ! I'm dealing with idiots here. Pick up is tomorrow....I can't wait! They will screw up again, I see it coming. If so, names and case number will be posted here.

Next time take your laptop to the Pro's at www.Tek-Smart.net

I have had a few, similar issues with Best Buy but none have been quite as frustrating as yours. Maybe that is why I tend to use the web site bestbuy.com instead. The online version of Best Buy receives many positive reviews from review sites like www.viewpoints.com and others and it rates higher in quality than the actual stores.

View more comments (1)
Review

Refused to honor protection plan | Best Buy review from Washington, District Of Columbia

I purchased a new cell phone and purchase plan in January 2011. My daughter dropped her phone on a road in Seattle today. Best Buy refused to replace her phone because she did not go out into traffic and pick up the phone bits. They refused to refund the money I had paid for the protection plan. The copy of the protection plan does not state you have to bring in the phone (and in this case it would have been impossible). I spoke to store manager and the customer service department. Best buy refused to refund my money or honor their agreement.
pov9596

That is a mistake on your part. Of course you have to bring the phone in.

Also, I'm not sure how you "drop" a phone on a road with traffic.

Best Buy has the absolute worst customer service I have ever dealt with!! I bought a $600 Evo cell phone there a year ago and (STUPIDLY) agreed to their Geek Squad Black Tie Protection for $10/month, being promised that absolutely any problem you have - even if its your own fault, as long as you can bring us the phone (i.e.

not lost or stolen), we will immediately replace it. I brought it in because the phone kept randomly shutting down and repowering for no reason when the battery was fully charged. They told me if I wanted it immediately replaced (which I have been paying for this service for over a year) that all they have available is a downgrade to the Evo Shift. No, I dont want that.

Well, then it has to be "repaired." They sent my phone out for repair for 2-5 WEEKS and as part of the $10/month that is also supposed to include a loaner phone. What they don't tell you is that the loaner phone is a 1995 flip phone! So you're supposed to give up a $600 cell phone for a month (and still pay your cell carrier the full data charge etc.) and get this when it was originally sold to me to be an IMMEDIATE REPLACEMENT? Not only did it take almost 2 hours of paperwork dropping the phone off and 2 hours picking it up when it had been "repaired," but my phone wasn't even fixed!!!

The same problem was still happening. I asked to speak with a store manager and all he offered to do was exactly what had originally been offered - exchange for a downgraded phone or send it in for repair for 2-5 weeks and hope they get it right this time! He said it would take FOUR QUALIFYING REPAIRS (FOUR times sending your phone in for 2-5 weeks per time with each time the phone being sent back to you, the issue not resolved before you would actually get a new phone). Do you believe this *** So, obviously, I was not satisfied with those results and continue to tell him how upset I am of this service and in the middle of speaking to me (this is a manager) he says, "Ok, this is enough at the store.

If you want to talk any further, you'll have to call our 1-800 number," and shoo'd me out of the store. Absolutely appalling. I hope he gets fired because that is the absolute worst customer service.

Also, I told the store manager (above him) about this and all she did was say sorry, but there was nothing she could do. Please don't buy anything at overpriced Best Buy and DEFINITELY do not buy their service contracts!

smedrik

Common sense is often omitted from warranties as it is understood by most people that if you are returning and item for money, you need to actually have the item.

I am not sure how your daughter managed to drop her phone on the road, however, that is her mistake.

In order to return or exchange an item, you need to have the item.

So you thought you could just go right into Best Buy and get a new phone....without the old one? Am I understanding this correctly?

If you didn't have to show the old phone, what's to stop someone from just coming back the next day and getting another new phone? Best Buy's protection plans are a rip off, but this situation is just a lack of common sense on your part.

View more comments (3)
Best Buy Manager
Loss
Terrible sales people in the TV department at Best Buy in Cary, NC! I went in to purchase an AV Receiver to use with my new TV I purchased a few weeks ago at another Best Buy. I was approached by a female associate and was asked if I had any questions. I asked a...

I have similar experience with sale people of best buy ,not only dont know nothing if not they dont attend you ,ahh and of course the manager always is in vacations.Compusa they are the same ***.I think that when you go to

work to one of this stores you receive a training or something .Aparrently more retard you are you are the best candidate to work in this stores.

View more comments