The squad is incompetent. | Best Buy review from Washington, District Of Columbia

Brought my machine to the local place in Stafford,VA. for a 'Blue screen' memory dump issue. Today was the 5th time! After replacing memory sticks 3 times, the first set at my cost, despite the machine is under warranty. During the first visit one of their "Managers" told me to order the sticks since they were out of stock. First he gave me the wrong part number, then he recommended 8 GB, the machine takes only max. 4 GB ! I'm dealing with idiots here. Pick up is tomorrow....I can't wait! They will screw up again, I see it coming. If so, names and case number will be posted here.

Next time take your laptop to the Pro's at www.Tek-Smart.net

I have had a few, similar issues with Best Buy but none have been quite as frustrating as yours. Maybe that is why I tend to use the web site bestbuy.com instead. The online version of Best Buy receives many positive reviews from review sites like www.viewpoints.com and others and it rates higher in quality than the actual stores.

View more comments (1)
Review

Refused to honor protection plan | Best Buy review from Washington, District Of Columbia

I purchased a new cell phone and purchase plan in January 2011. My daughter dropped her phone on a road in Seattle today. Best Buy refused to replace her phone because she did not go out into traffic and pick up the phone bits. They refused to refund the money I had paid for the protection plan. The copy of the protection plan does not state you have to bring in the phone (and in this case it would have been impossible). I spoke to store manager and the customer service department. Best buy refused to refund my money or honor their agreement.
pov9596

That is a mistake on your part. Of course you have to bring the phone in.

Also, I'm not sure how you "drop" a phone on a road with traffic.

Best Buy has the absolute worst customer service I have ever dealt with!! I bought a $600 Evo cell phone there a year ago and (STUPIDLY) agreed to their Geek Squad Black Tie Protection for $10/month, being promised that absolutely any problem you have - even if its your own fault, as long as you can bring us the phone (i.e.

not lost or stolen), we will immediately replace it. I brought it in because the phone kept randomly shutting down and repowering for no reason when the battery was fully charged. They told me if I wanted it immediately replaced (which I have been paying for this service for over a year) that all they have available is a downgrade to the Evo Shift. No, I dont want that.

Well, then it has to be "repaired." They sent my phone out for repair for 2-5 WEEKS and as part of the $10/month that is also supposed to include a loaner phone. What they don't tell you is that the loaner phone is a 1995 flip phone! So you're supposed to give up a $600 cell phone for a month (and still pay your cell carrier the full data charge etc.) and get this when it was originally sold to me to be an IMMEDIATE REPLACEMENT? Not only did it take almost 2 hours of paperwork dropping the phone off and 2 hours picking it up when it had been "repaired," but my phone wasn't even fixed!!!

The same problem was still happening. I asked to speak with a store manager and all he offered to do was exactly what had originally been offered - exchange for a downgraded phone or send it in for repair for 2-5 weeks and hope they get it right this time! He said it would take FOUR QUALIFYING REPAIRS (FOUR times sending your phone in for 2-5 weeks per time with each time the phone being sent back to you, the issue not resolved before you would actually get a new phone). Do you believe this *** So, obviously, I was not satisfied with those results and continue to tell him how upset I am of this service and in the middle of speaking to me (this is a manager) he says, "Ok, this is enough at the store.

If you want to talk any further, you'll have to call our 1-800 number," and shoo'd me out of the store. Absolutely appalling. I hope he gets fired because that is the absolute worst customer service.

Also, I told the store manager (above him) about this and all she did was say sorry, but there was nothing she could do. Please don't buy anything at overpriced Best Buy and DEFINITELY do not buy their service contracts!

smedrik

Common sense is often omitted from warranties as it is understood by most people that if you are returning and item for money, you need to actually have the item.

I am not sure how your daughter managed to drop her phone on the road, however, that is her mistake.

In order to return or exchange an item, you need to have the item.

So you thought you could just go right into Best Buy and get a new phone....without the old one? Am I understanding this correctly?

If you didn't have to show the old phone, what's to stop someone from just coming back the next day and getting another new phone? Best Buy's protection plans are a rip off, but this situation is just a lack of common sense on your part.

View more comments (3)
Best Buy Manager

False advertisement | Best Buy review from Washington, District Of Columbia

None of their employees or managers knows anything about their products. Pre ordered a game because they offered a free headset when you pre ordered. Then they didn't know if they even had the headset. After that they pulled the ad and we called several times to find out if we would still get the headset since we pre ordered. No one knew anything. They didn't know if they were doing a midnight release. Then other friends that tried pre ordering for the headset were told it was first come first serve, so no guarantee that pre ordered copies would receive a headset. We went to Wal-Mart. Will NEVER step foot in Best Buy again. It's more like Worst Buy

I assume you're talking about homefront? Many people I know have had issues with their preorder for that game. I guess it was a storewide error. They did not send enough of the actual game headsets and had to suppliment. You're not the only customer with this problem. Everything is run by computers and sometimes the message doesn't travel fast.

Ps. Don't get worked up over something that's free. Its silly

Is it obvious that SIMON must work for WORST BUY???? since the only thing he ever has to say id something ***!

Frank

Ebooks Store: www.ebooks159.com

More than 45,000 ebooks in this store.Most ebooks are good quality and very cheap.

If you have any question,you can contact me with LIVE CHAT,I'll reply as soon as quickly.

Thank you.

You would think, though, they would know about the products and special ads they publish

but what would I know

More like Worst Buy...hahaha that's original.

Sorry if they don't put the whole store on notice about your video game. You would have thought they would have held a 5 hour meeting about it.

View more comments (4)
Review

Bay Shor, NY - BestBuy Buyer beware!! | Best Buy review from Washington, District Of Columbia

Purchased what a thought was a good deal 320GB hard Drive $60, turns out that there was a 40GB hard drive in the sealed box. Brought it back to bestbuy next day, and was told by Cust. #@%$^#, "MIke B." that I had to call the manufacturer and complain to them. I contacted BestBuy Cust. relations, "Tina" who assured me that she would contact store mangaer and do something about this..just as soon as we were off the phone. Well I week later I contacted them again..and left voice mail.. 3 days later still No call back - No real customer help. I'm currently disputing charge with my credit my card co. I used to spend thousands of dollars in their store as a computer repair man, now I rather drive 30 miles and shop at "MicroCenter".. screw Bestbuy, I hope they end up like "Circuit City".
This G

Funny how you jump to conclusions after I tell you the proper way of going about how to fix your possibly unfortunate situation. Obviously the store isn't going to help you. But your post did make me laugh. Since you claim to work in computer repair, I'm going to assume you run a hammer store. Well I hope Home Depot puts you out of commission! (See how ridiculous it is to jump to conclusions about someone you don't know just because they have a different opinion?) And FYI, I actually WANT Best Buy to go out of business. They have incredibly shady practices which upper management will preach behind closed doors and then deny to your face. This is not one of them. All stores have policies in place to protect their bottom line. This is one of them for Best Buy.

Telling your friends and family about not shopping at that store is not going to hurt them. There always has been and always will be other avenues for people to buy their electronics. Tell me, why is it ridiculous to check the box of something you bought to make sure it is in there? This obviously happens enough to people everywhere that it seems like it would be a pretty good idea.

Here's my favorite part:

"I guess most of you sheeps outthere think is OK, when a big company reaches into your pocket and takes money from your kids mouth?

P.S. I alreay made my next PC/TV purchased at RadioShak and PC Richards... over $1,500"

You complain about food being taken out of their mouths over a $60 hard drive, then you go out and spend another $1500. LOL!

And for calling other people high school drop outs, you spell like a ***.

I hope your next customer tries to rip you off. Then if you don't fall for their ***, I hope they end up on this site complaining about you. See how you like it.

I hope your next customer tries to rip you off. Then when you catch them, I hope they end up on this site complaining about you. See how you like it.

Carma is a ***. I hope your next purchase from bestbuy is a rock in a box. Let's see how you like it.

Maybe they don't return your phone calls because they have given you their answer and they don't want to hear you whine anymore.

How many times do they have to tell you that they will not give you a refund on a product until you bring in the item that was purchased?

They aren't going to give you $60 for your old, used hard drive.

They caught you in your ***. Get over it and move on.

Hahaha, You're an ***. I am a computer repairman, I used to spend 15K to 20K at bestbuy. I run my own business, and have no need to scam besttbuy. I did not want a refund simply an exchange to complete a repair on a laptop. When I say, they took from my kids mouth it is a fact, since I support my family repairing computers. The Only scammers here are the people of Bestbuy, Bay Shore, NY.

you would think, they would at least return my phone calls after I presented my case with Customer Service Relations.

Nothing!!!! that's why I'm here... "Buyer Beware" of bestbuy the true scammers-conartist.

How do you connect buying a hard drive to taking food out of your kid's mouth? Are you saying that since you lost money buying a hard drive your kids don't get to eat?

Maybe you should buy your kid's food before you go to Best Buy.

You should just come clean already. You bought a 320GB hard drive, took it home, put your old *** one in the box, and tried to get a refund. Best Buy caught you in the act and now you're mad and embarrassed.

You were probably planning on using the $60 you conned Best Buy out of to feed your kids and now you can't. Well too bad.

I guess most of you sheeps outthere think is OK, when a big company reaches into your pocket and takes money from your kids mouth? I wll not laydown for this, I will fight, and fight.

I will persue all media avenues to show how *** up bestbuy is. If I can contribute to just .0022% to bestbuy demise, it will make my day.

P.S. I alreay made my next PC/TV purchased at RadioShak and PC Richards... over $1,500.

People!, there are more choices out there don't shop at BestBuy... shop at PC Richards, Staples, NewEgg, RadioShak, Etc.

Whoa there. No one was being rude, he was simply trying to explain the reason behind why you may be having a hard time getting a refund in this situation.

His point is: How does Best Buy know that you didn't change out the hard drive yourself? Should Best Buy take every customer at their word? I work in customer service and customers lie all the time to get their way. Think of how much money a store would lose if these policies were not in place.

You talk about profit margins. Well fraudulent returns cost a store a ton of money. Also remember that the more money a store loses on fradulent returns, the more they raise prices.

Never have a heard such a ridiculous answer, to open the box before you walk out of the store" Clearly you're one of BestBuy’s "Damage Control", rude high school drop-outs working there. You guys think you're too big to care about customer service.

Can't wait for the next big store chain to put you out of business.

I hope everyone who reads this post will boycott “Bestbuy” and passes along to their friends and family. Maybe if they feel it in their profit margin, they will do something about their customer service.

This G

This is an issue to take up with the manufacturer. If something comes sealed in the box, it has nothing to do with what Best Buy did.

A lot of fraudulent returns are done using the same story you are using, so when there are legitimate issues they tend to not believe it. There was one instance where a guy bought a wireless adapter, called from the parking lot to say there was a mix of cheesy potatoes in it. We told him to bring it right back in and we'd switch it out for him but he claimed he was "way too busy to come back right now" and he'd be back later. So the store had to take the loss on the cheesy potatoes wireless adapter.

While your claim is not nearly as outlandish, these things happen ALL OF THE TIME.

Best way to make sure it doesn't happen? Open it in the store.

View more comments (10)
Review
#206785 Review #206785 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Best Buy Deal

Best Buy pickup site.

Best Buy hire mostly young boys and girls. I have waited to get waited on more than once, while the boys were chasing the girls. I can say that one they see you they ask if they can help, if not they go back to their playing. Best Buy should hire people that are knowable of their products and care about the consumer. Most of the time this means older people. This does not go on at one store, I have seen it at least three. I know they are not paid a commission,and the is to keep hard selling down, but maybe they need a supervisor that can keep it looking like a place of business.

You are ridiculous. You think older people are going to know more?

I know for a fact, older people tend to know less when it comes to electronics and technology. The fact that they were young has nothing to do with how they acted.

That store obviously does not take care in who they hire, or keep an eye on their employess to make sure they do their job. Just because you're old doesn't mean young people are dumb.

Simon, you are right , I shop online.

If you don't like the service you receive, don't shop there. Problem solved.

No need to cry, complain, whine, ***, or anything else. Just don't go there.

Since you clearly have the know-how, if you have the courage to put up or shut up, put in and application and show them how customer service is done.

Be a part of the solution instead of whining from the back row. Unless you're scared of having a 17 year old kid being picked over you.

Simon, I do not care who they hire, there use to be customer service.

smedrik

In order to be compete with places like wal-mart best buy has to be cheap. In order to be cheap they pay their employees minimum wage and no commission.

Most self respecting people with the expansive knowledge of electronics you require are not going to accept minimum wage.

You should tell the store you visit that they shouldn't hire who they want, they should hire who you want.

View more comments (5)
Review
#222048 Review #222048 is a subjective opinion of poster.

Pre-order not full filled | Best Buy review from Washington, District Of Columbia

I pre-ordered the game "Home Front" for my X-Box 360. With the pre-order of "Home Front" from Best Buy a free headset was offered. On the 15th of March I went to pick up "Home Front" and the head set. I stood in line for sometime. When waited upon I was told they were all out of headsets and would not be getting any more. I was told I could take the game as is or get my deposit back. I chose to get my deposit back. The store I use is located in Fort Smith Arkansas.
Review
Never buy online/phone with Bestbuy.com. They have horrible service for delivery and customer care. I had a very bad experience with them and just want to let all know as they can be careful before ordering something. I ordered a Refrigerator from Bestbuy.com over...
#205232

This scenario is a warning to people buying appliances from Best Buy. This kind of thing happens ALL OF THE TIME!

The store makes promises that it can't always fulfill because they will do anything to make the sale and then blame the warehouse when things don't go right. Also, things get oversold and it always leads to customer disappoints. I.E.

3 different stores see that 1 fridge is coming into the warehouse and they all make the same purchase, 2 customers are S.O.L. and it doesn't matter

Review
#200372 Review #200372 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Best Buy Customer Care
Loss

4 months and no refund on appliance | Best Buy review from Washington, District Of Columbia

I purchased a $1200 washer dryer 4 months ago but had to return on delivery unfortunately because it did not fit up our staircase. Four months later, they acknowledge the item was returned but cannot figure out why I haven't been refunded. They blame everyone including the 3rd party manufacturer who delivered it, and their division called Best Buy Direct, who is supposed to handle the refunds. I have contacted them numerous times and they keep saying it is a high priority and they will follow up, but never do. I finally filed a dispute with my credit card company. They managed to convince my credit card company that they would refund me, so the credit card company sent me a letter saying a refund was promised and that they no longer considered the transaction in dispute. Unbelievable - it is outright highway robbery by a Fortune 500 company!! I am ready to file suit. I have never done this. Any advice?
#195328

I sued Best Buy, but because of a national corporation, that requiers that you go thru the secretary of state in your state to get the proper information for small claims court. Yes nd I won with their corporate $$$$ attorney.

Review
#200319 Review #200319 is a subjective opinion of poster.

Advertised 6 gb dell, in fact sold me 4gb..bait and switch | Best Buy review from Washington, District Of Columbia

Made the mistake of shopping Best Buys advertised price after extensive research and price comparison both online at at several local office supply stores. Best Buy advertised a 6GB Dell desktop with 750 GB hard drive bundle package too good to pass up. Stopped at best Buy the evening of sale, and was told they did not have the tower, though the model was on shelf, identical model number a specs, at a much higher price. Manager told us they would pick one up at another Best Buy if we paid in advance and could wait a couple of days, No problem. Paid in full. The girl that rang us up, kept ringing and then deleting items in bundle, said that's the way it is done. A second manager looked at receipt, asked register girl to re-ring correctly, she had a tantrum and refused, they then both agreed it was correct, we paid and left, exhausted after a long work day then computer shopping. A couple of days later, picked up computer bundle,everything extra we had bought installed nicely, but were stopped at door, threatened with police because alarm rang, big scene, fortunately manager was there that knew we paid (receipt was in our hands!) and that ended. I never went over computer carefully enough as I should, in fac, kept computer home in package until after New Year's when we brought computer to work. Everything was in package, up and running, was happy until I just now checked my system and find I in fact got the wrong model, a 4 GB 64 bit system. Receipt matches model I do have. What can I do? called Customer Service (800 #) and was told by supervisor "Jessie" "that's just too bad". ??? I honestly do not know what the difference in GB is truly worth, but do know I did not get what I paid for, and want to be compensated if nothing more than a gift certificate to Best Buy. I would like to shop there in the future, but wil not if this bait and switch in not corrected. What can be done, if anything. I will check my receipts against model # / specs more carefully in future. Mybad, I was too trusting.

Dude, it started as a mistake but you never corrected it. When you paid the cash they gave you a receipt. You clearly didn't look at it because it's made out for the 4GB model (according to your statement). That receipt is should have been treated as cash. You needed to ensure it was correct. Would you accept a $100 bill that has Mickey Mouse's picture instead of Franklin? Of course not, but that's essentially what you did here.

To make matters worse you didn't inspect the merchandise. This was your second opportunity to see and correct the mistake but you ignored it again.

Now the only thing preventing you from returning it is the extended time it took for you to finally look at those things. What were you thinking?

They did you wrong: They sold you the wrong product. HOWEVER, you had the opportunity to correct it but never did. You had 15 days or whatever, but you let that elapse. Now the deal is done and that's the computer you bought. No bait and switch at all. In fact, FAIR DEAL.

No IQ he has to prove malice in order to claim bait and switch. He has to prove that he was singled out in a criminal act.

Something he failed to do.

How about you look in to what a crininal act is. The fact that he was allowed to uy a computer proves to me a crininal act.

So YOUmade a human mistake by not checking what you bought but just because someone at best buy ( a HUMAN ) made a mistake and gave you the wrong item it's called bait and switch.

Oh you are such the saint arn't you?

Hard economic times? Is that your excuse for your own stupidy? Get a new one. you spent a bunch of money on an article and faild to check it. Your fault. Not the stores or anyone elses but yours.

What is wrong with a little personal responsibility? If that still existed in our country today we wouldn't have this "economic" problem. But it's all Bush's fault and the Bank's fault. Ya OK.

When you grow up and act like an adult let me know. Untill then I am tired of your lazy ignorant childish ***

so basically, because I was trusting and, not lazy, more like exhausted working 7 days a week and giving my customers a hand up in these hard economic times, it justifies Best Buy's unscrupulous business practices. I pity you if that is the realty that you live in.

I thankfully would never treat my customers this way, and in fact, have lost money at times making things right when I have made an honest ,human mistake.

You stated yourself that you didn't go over the pc carefully or soon enough. So what the *** do you want??

Had you have been more responsible you would have checked the hardware ASAP and had there been a problem it could have been taken care of.

Yer own fault. Next time don't be so lazy and slow.

View more comments (5)

Best Buy/Geek Squad poor customer service

My sister bought her son a $500 ASUS laptop from Best Buy last December. They don't have much money and going against my advice, she did not buy any additional warranty or insurance policy. Long story short, within 6 months, the LCD screen was cracked due to misuse and the computer was no longer usable. Understandably, since they did not buy the accident protection policy, Best Buy was under no obligation to fix the computer for free. My problem is that when she brought it to the Geek Squad section of the local Best Buy store, the computer was sent away for diagnosis and she was ultimately told that it would cost $900 to replace the LCD screen. Recall that the original laptop purchase price 6 months earlier was $500. It didn't make much sense to me that it should cost almost twice as much to replace the LCD as the original new price of the laptop. How would you feel for example if you bought a new car for $20,000 and when you brought it back to the dealer in 6 months to repair something they wanted almost $40,000 to repair it? Fortunately, I had enough technical expertise to diagnose the problem and fix it myself. My cost was $180 for the replacement LCD screen and $10 for shipping. My labor time was 20 to 30 minutes. Therefore, not counting my labor time, I fixed the laptop for $190 (versus Geek squad charge of $900). I believe that any reasonable person would agree with me that Best Buy was attempting to grossly over-charge for this repair. I'm just glad that I was able to help my sister avoid being ripped-off. Another example of customer service at its worst! By the way, I did call the Best Buy corporate customer service department to complain but they didn't seem to understand why I felt that this was bad service.

$900 seems a little extreme, but it is the most expensive part of a laptop.

As a side line I renovate historic buildings. Had a project that was abandoned for several years. Need every window replaced, but still had to keep this historic window frames. I had 7 window companies quote the job, ranged from $150K to $2.1M. A team of 3 people and 6 months and we did it our selfs for less then $3K.

Moral: Self repair is ALWAYS less expensive!!

#205241

They are a major company, with the main goal of making money. So to them, $900 from you is awesome. Next time, don't smash the screen

Tom
#197024

well they are a business first off so they have to make money. second thier parts department is a third party company and charges Best Buy full price for parts.

View more comments (2)
Review
#199877 Review #199877 is a subjective opinion of poster.