Despite my warnings, my husband bought a computer at Best Buy while in AZ visiting his family. Best Buy had so many programs and processes running at start up that there was less than 25% memory remaining to run the computer.

We could not even use it. Unfortunately, there is no Best Buy around us so we had to pay $300 just to get it fixed before we could even use it.

My husband specifically told them to make it as simple as possible with limited programs running at start up. I believe they purposely do this to get you to run to their Geek Squad because the same thing happened when my father purchased his last two computers from them, which was the reason I told my husband never to go there in the first place.

Comments

Whatever you do, don't order a computer from Sweepstakes Clearinghouse with one of their $400 :consolation prize" vouchers.

h.kitchener

The best way to buy a computer is directly from the manufacturer, eg., HP.COM. Even then it will come pre-loaded with some software you don't want or need and can safely uninstall. Buying a machine from a place like Best Buy is a mistake as you indicate due to the junk they install but you can usually get rid of the junk yourself by using things like "pc decrapifier" and others, or simply by going thru the program listing and uninstalling yourself.