*** "Manager", They Lost a $1,600 Sale! | Best Buy review from San Bruno, California

My husband and I wanted to purchase a 60 inch Panasonic Plasma HDTV which we saw on the Best Buy website for a reasonable price. Our time is limited so we wanted to buy it and take it with us on the spot. We spoke with a saleswoman who told us the TV was not in stock at any of their stores, and that it was a discontinued item. I knew it was being discontinued but the Best Buy website had indicated that they had the TV in stock in that particular store. We asked her if they would consider selling us the floor model and she said flatly, "No" because she "wasn't sure if they were going to get anymore in stock". I knew they wouldn't be because the item was not available at any Best Buy and was fast selling out on other websites online. We asked to speak with the manager and she said "I am the manager". She couldn't have been more than 21 years old. Later on I found out there was another Panasonic model in that size in Plasma that was definitely in stock at that store that she could have suggested that only cost about $100 more, which we might have considered, but all she could do was point out a smaller 50" in a non-plasma version that was not at all what we wanted. And she was supposedly a "manager"! She didn't even know her stock! We walked out of the store and ordered the exact TV we originally wanted from Amazon on our i-Pad right in the parking lot. They delivered it on the day we wanted and set it up for free. It's no wonder Best Buy is back in "deep trouble" according to today's news. People used to like the fact that their salespeople don't work on commission, but this type of situation is the end result. The employees don't care, and they don't work to make a sale even when the customer is ready to put cash on the table. This so-called "manager" couldn't even bother to engage us any further plus flat out refused to deal with us about the floor model. Losing a $1,600 sale like that when it could have been avoided was just plain bad business. In the end, when things like this are allowed to happen, I'd say Best Buy deserves whatever it gets.
#802092

The age of the manager doesn't have anything to do with your complaint. I had one job in an office, where the office manager had just turned 19 and she was good. You are putting age manager's age in as a put down, because you didn't get the service that you wanted from her.

#802002

dont be confused that they say they do not work on commissions and if she was actually the MANAGER of the store (I am pretty confident she wasn;t) they get a bonus on everything that is sold up selling is the moto! Amazon is great and you can't beat delivery to your door!! Good for you.

@Anonymous

Lol best buy employees don't work on commission. not our fault you don't want to listen to our recommendations and only see it as "up-selling"

#801970

I chose the right city location but it posted the wrong one - I am the author of this post and this happened in West Hartford, CT

View more comments (3)
Service
Best Buy Deal
I Paid the Geek Squad $600 to run my in-wall and ceiling mount speaker wire for my new contruction. I left them that AM at the new construction, went to work that day. Came back later that day to inspect the wiring. To say I was completely disgusted at the level of...

No pics, no proof, no story.

I know comcast does the same thing though. And AT&T busted *** in my wall the size of a softball while trying to drill a simple 1/4" hole. So I believe it.

But still not sure why you are complaining, it won't get you anywhere with a Billion Dollar company like Best Buy.

View more comments
Loss

Best buy or worst buy

I am a visitor to the US. I walked into the Best Buy Mobile store in seminole County Town Centre near Lake Mary, FL. I asked for a SIM and charge cards for a pre-paid connection and was met with Jacqueline, the manager (as I learnt later). 1. She offered an ATT mobile with connection which I declined because I didn't need a mobile phone. Later, she would repeatedly tell me during our arguments that she was recommending this mobile over the other connection that I took. She repeated this so many times that I actually had to ask her to shut up. 2. She sold me an H2O wireless SIM card which had a monthly plan, etc, that suited my needs. I clearly told her my needs. This was fine. 3. She sold me THREE $20 charge cards from O2 (which were old, as I came to know later) which had "compatible with unlimited" written on them. Apparently, they were compatible with a night unlimited plan that no longer existed. I think she just loaded her old stock on me. 4. The problem started when I activated my SIM with a $60 unlimited plan. The $20 charge cards would just fail to do the top up and no one (best buy or H2O) would help as to why that happened. I came to know this the next day that these are used only for the minute plans. I think the BB manager should have known this. I suspect she expected me to buy another top-up card because these wouldn't work. 5. She sold me $20 *3 = $60 of cards because she said it would take care of the $50 month plan AND give me a $10 charge for free international calls. It turns out that there is no $10 charge for free international calls. Instead, for $50, I get $10 WORTH of free international calls. Again, this is something I feel the BB manager should have known. Or did she? 6. On the third occasion, when i accosted her with all this information, she just refused to accept her responsibility. The fact that she missold the cards did not mean anything to her. She refused to refund anything saying those cards are not refundable. Under normal circumstances, that would have been fine but not in this case because she had missold her old stock to me by telling lies. =========== The consequences are: 1. I could not make calls or use mobile internet for 3 days in spite of having paid about $75 for the SIM and charge cards. 2. Finally, I had to take up the minute plan (to minimize losses) which does not support mobile internet while it was unlimited on the monthly plan I had thought I was buying. 3. The minute plan has a charge of $2 per minute for international calls. So, if I call my home country, I get to talk for just 30 minutes. In fact, the website has put a limit of $20.00 (seen under my account balance), which means I can make international calls for 10 minutes only. I had clearly told Jacqueline that I needed to call my home country. That was the basic purpose of the connection. If she had sold me the right cards, I could have had $20 worth of free international calls along with unlimited calls like local and SMS, etc. Having paid the same amount ($60), I get a much lesser value and more importantly, am hassled. 4. She kept telling me that it was H2O's fault and made me go back and forth betweent the two (H2O told me it's BB's fault).

Sir - I am very sorry that you had such a bad experience in our country with inept salespersons. Unfortunately, this is a representation of the work force in America.

Lazy workers who don't know how to help people and simply don't care about how we appear to the people they come in contact with.

Sorry. Even though, you can see what we have to cope with here in America.

Best Buy - Management

This complaint is regarding the Best Buy located in Irvine, California. My family was harrassed this past weekend at this store. I am so ofended by the way I was treated at this store. I was with my family Christmas shopping on Saturday. We were buying all kinds of goodies from digital cameras to gps units. We spent $1,000 that day. While we were checking out they decided to have a manager stand next to the cashier as she was scanning all items. The manager then bagged the items after the transactions were complete. As we proceeded to walk out of the store, we were stopped by another store manager. This manager's name is Lucey and she asked to see the receipt. We showed it to her, and she moved us to the side. She took everything out of our bags and went through the entire receipt. She told us that we didn't pay for items that were obviously listed on the receipt. She was rude, and made my family feel humilated. Other customers were looking to see what was going on. It was byfar the worst experience I have ever had. In the end (after 15-20 minutes) she saw that everything was paid for. She didn't apologize to us for her behavoir or anything. She was mad, and upset. As soon as I left I called the corporate headquarters, and I called the stores General Manager. The General Manager said that he would talk to her about her behavoir. Later that evening we realized we didn't buy something, and had to back to another Best Buy located in Laguna Niguel, Ca. We went in purchased our items, and walked out without any harrassment. In the end I am asking myself was the outcome of this good enough???? What do you think??

F best buy. If your having a good day, dont brother heading there. You'll just end up being pissed.

Service