They sold me an open box as new | Best Buy review from Los Angeles, California

I purchased a 46'Samsung UNC7000 brand new and in the box. Got it home. No stand. Got it out of the box it had scratches on the bezal & screen. Took it back. The TV manager said it was an issue with Samsung. Do I have idoit written on my face. He offer a &25 gift card and comparable TV. Didn't even offer to search another store or have one delivered. Long time Best Buy consumer. No more! They have have no integrity or customer service. Nothing but allot of lip service. It appears they think they are the only store around. I'll be shopping else where!

Also, to the OP, go to consumeraffairs.com and check out what people have to say about Samsung TV's. It's their most popular complaint. Best Buy did you a favor.

@techiero

I didn't realize Best Buy entered into a contract when they sell a TV. What are the details of this contract? I suppose lifetime warranty and promise that they will always have more in stock just in case the need to replace it. You're a genius.

You don't know squat.

@Simon

Since Best Buy didn't offer Anonymous another 46" Samsung UNC7000 (with the stand, minus the scratches), which is what he/she bought and paid for, I wouldn't say he/she is being unreasonable. It's a little thing called "Breach of contract".

You were offered a $25 gift card and a comparable TV and you are still whining? You are being unreasonable.

View more comments (3)
Product
Best Buy Gift Card

Warranty Scam at Best Buy

I purchased a 2 year extended warranty for an inexpensive ($22) portable radio. When I returned the radio because it was not working properly after 8 months Best Buy offered to replace the item, but sad that would void the warranty. Had they repaired the item the warranty would have continued, but given the price of the item that is impractical. I have never heard of a warranty that "self destructs" if you use it. After much argument, Best Buy agreed to honor the warranty for 1 year, but that is still not the warranty I purchased. I live in California, so reported this to the State Attorney General's Consumer Fraud Division. Others who have similar experiences should do likewise.
This G

I love it when ignorant people hear what people have to say and then when they don't like it, they just say "oh you don't understand". Jacob is right, using the warranty as stated fulfills the warranty.

End of story. They give you a pamphlet with all of the info about the warranty for a reason.

If you want your item fixed but still keep your plan, go through the manufacturer. I don't tolerate retailers, I just know the rules after working for the *** hole for over 6 years.

#206163

Yes you purchased the replacement plan and once the item is replaced the contract (replacement plan) is fulfilled and it voids out the replacement plan warranty that you purchased.

it doesn't void the manufacturers warranty, just the replacement plan warranty because its a one time replacement plan that you bought.

There is no fraud.

#205943

It totally depends on the manufacturers coverage. If it failed within the manufacturers coverage period, and it was something the manufacturer would have covered, then the extended plan should continue.

However, if it falls outside of either of those two categories (because Best Buy covers things the manufacturer won't, like power surges, or normal wear and tear) the plan is considered fulfilled and a new plan must be purchased on the new product. I unfortunately have lots of experience with these plans, but they almost always pay off.

#205767

"This Guy" doesn't understand-- Best Buy chooses whether to repair or replace, not me. The price of the warranty is not the issue, but rather whether Best Buy honored the deal they themselves set.

As a consumer I can either buy the warranty or not, but I don't tolerate a retailer who attempts to change the terms after the fact. Neither should you.

#205265

If you find that repairing the item to keep the warranty was impractical, then maybe you shouldn't have paid for a warranty on something that cost $22 IMO. Given the cost of the product, I'm going to assume you spent about $8 (around 35% of the price on the product) to have it "covered." That is the craziest thing about this post.

Review
#203792 Review #203792 is a subjective opinion of poster.

Best Buy Parts Dept.

I own a Sony 42" projection TV, that had a lamp burn out. When I contacted Best Buy, where I purchased the TV, they informed me my extended warranty had expired.(just my luck!). I was then transferred to the Parts Department to order a new part, which I could install myself. I spoke to the rep who ordered the part, and the transaction was completed. I was then told I would receive the part on Tuesday the 12th. I asked if it could be shipped any faster & I was told yes, for an additional fee, & was promised it would be delivered "tomorrow the 8th". When the part didn't arrive today, I called to have my order tracked and was told they couldn't find my order!! After speaking with 2 reps, they finally found my order, and while waiting for this information I discovered by going online with my bank I had been charged twice!! So, now I'm out $400.00, with no part in sight!! I was promised I would be refunded one of the charges, but it will take a whopping 72 hours to see the credit back on my account! I was also told my order would not arrive until Tuesday, because Monday is a %#&$$ Holiday!! So not only was I given a promise for delivery that they could not keep, but they billed me twice for a part that is nowhere in sight! I have purchased 4 TV's + numerous other electronic equipmentfrom Best Buy over the years, this is the last time I will ever shop at this store. Customer Service is the worst I've ever experienced! It's a big steaming pile of caca!!
Review
#201849 Review #201849 is a subjective opinion of poster.

Sold Personal Information / With out permission | Best Buy review from Los Angeles, California

Last Friday I logged on to the Best Buy Survey , With the numbered code on the bottom of the reciept. I saw the questions were WAY to personal , and none of this companys GOD *** business . I closed the browser , without clicking the submit button , and signed out . Monday , I had SPAM , and unwanted phone calls , In other words , they took the information I never authorized and sold it anyway . I looked at the privacy statement , And saw you could OPT OUT , I had already done that when I joined the so called Rewards Program . I e-mailed my concerns , and went unanwsered . And calls were put ON HOLD . No responce . My days doing business with this *** company are coming to a close .

Best Lie and all of the other faceless illuminati controlled businesses do sell your your personal info to data collection companies for for marketing data and mailing lists besides furnishing your private info to the NSA. This is why they try to push you into signing up for a Best-Lie credit card and their rewards program or Geek Squad services. Huge profits on all of these may be the real agenda but that is not the only real agenda.

Tom
#197021

Um hate to burst your bubble but Best Buy doesnt sell your personal information, you need to check your computer for spyware because that forwards your private information to companies and that can cause the phone calls.

Like George Carlin once stated, "If you look at how *** the average person is, just imagine half of those people are even dumber. They are starting to take over and the smart people are a dieing breed".

View more comments (1)
Review
#200404 Review #200404 is a subjective opinion of poster.
I purchase an LG washer and dryer at Best Buy. After four months, the dryer broke. Wouldn't power up (fancy model with bells and whistles). A machine four months old should not break and should replaced. Although I was on the phone for 5 hours with their Cust....
#205245

It's not Best Buy's fault that LG made a faulty product. They don't have random parts sitting around waiting for products to break. Direct your ignorant rage at LG

Review
#199518 Review #199518 is a subjective opinion of poster.

Best Buys from ***

A while ago I purchased a computer package for about $1000.00 from Best Buys with a fourteen days return policy. That evening I installed the computer, the next morning I set up my internet account and started to use the computer. few days later it become sluggish and erratic and it stopped doing anything at all, then the mouse stopped moving and moved to the edge of the screen. I contacted Best Buys and told them about the problem, they said to bring it back since it was still within the 14 days. I said to the Best Buy that I'll pack it and bring the next morning she said no problem and got her name. At the store the girl was there she processed the return with a receipt, and then called for someone to come and verify. The "*** *** M*THER f*CKER" named LAN TAN refused to sign the ticket without any *** explanation what so ever. I asked to speak with a manger they said the manager was not there. So I decided to leave the *** computer there to shove it up their BIG BEST BUYS ***. I also notified security on the way out. I called my credit card co. and disputed the charge, they did but the M*ther F*ckers at the BEST BUYS from *** refused to either resolve the issue and never offered to fix the computer or exchanged it they just kept it while they refused to process a return. So a warning for everyone who does business with BEST BUYS FROM *** is be extremely careful when buying from these M*THER F*CKERS and specially that M*OTHER F*CKER *** FROM SOUTH EAST ASIA THE SO CALLED LAN TAN, THIS GUY IS A *** breed from ***, his MAMA must've been pleasing the master of *** when he was born, he does look like he has too big HORNS FOUND ONLY IN ***. For that I will not shop again at BEST BUYS from ***, I am trying to warn everyone so you don't get ripped off, but if you enjoy getting *** in the *** you would shop at BEST BUYS from ***...... my message to BEST BUYS is go to *** *** where you came from...coz I will make of it...

i like it when he curses jensen eat a pig snout and by snout i mean ***

best buy:1

this guy:0

do you have a mental problem you swearing ***??????????????????????? :zzz :upset :eek :( :x :? :cry

View more comments (2)
Loss
A warning to anyone buying anything from Magnolia Audio Video. I made a purchase at a Magnolia store-within-a-store inside a far-away Best Buy and was assured I'd be allowed to return what I purchased. Liars!! I tried to return the item (an HDMI cable overpriced by...

What's up dude. Best Buy Magnolia Brand is a different entity than Best Buy Stores.

They sell all the higher end audio and video components etc that Best Buy does not carry. So it's fairly obvious that Best Buy could not and will not take that return for a refund. You should have realized this or at least emphasized this when asking about return policies. I never had a Best Buy sales person volunteer that info to me unless I asked.

Make the sale and hope they never hear from your again. Honestly, you should be annoyed and pissed at yourself for overlooking this, especially when the sales person did say you could absolutely return the item to the store (Magnolia)correct!

Sometimes we just don't pay enough attention and have to chalk it up to experience. It Is What It Is!!

View more comments
Loss

Best buy doesnt stand behind their products

i bought a computer and monitor from best buy. set it up and immediately noticed that the monitor had a crack all the way across it. i packed it up and returned it immediately and told them it was damaged. they insisted that i must have damaged it and refused a refund. i can assure you, i did nothing that would have caused the screen to crack and was as careful as possible with it. i paid $170 for something that i had in my possession an hr and never got to use! plus the insult of being told i caused it. i will never shop at best buy again!
Meldon R

Well unless the monitor was Best Buy brand, why would you think they would stand behind it? They didn't make it! Talk to the people who made it.

Everett

I work for Best Buy. I would ask you to please see both sides of this.

VERY RARELY does an item arrive sealed in a box and is damaged on the inside. It just doesn't happen much. My best educated guess is that maybe it was very cold outside and you attempted to power it up right as you got home? Running power through it would cause it to heat up rapidly.

The sudden change in temperature could cause the screen to crack. If the monitor could be powered up to see the screen and there was a mark on it (usually pink) where something was resting on it, a geek squad agent would notice that as a pressure crack. Returns in this case vary from store to store and often come down to the customer service reps judgment because there's no real evidence either way. Taking someone's word is quickly vanishing because we actually do get many dishonest customers (and we know they are because we find some factual evidence that supports our claim) and they're ruining it for customers who are legit.

Without a lie detector there's just no way to tell. Try getting the PSP on it next time.

You may think you're paying for something you don't need, but when it does break and they fix it/give you a new one, you might be surprised. Best of luck!

they said since it was sealed when i bought it i must have caused the damage when opening it. i did not drop it,

bump it,or hit it and was careful in

removing it and setting it up. they described it as a "pressure" crack, so i dont know how it happened ...i should have opened the box inside the store b4 leaving

i purchased a computer and when i got home and monitor was cracked. took it back the same hour and they exchanged it, no questions.

so i don't understand why they wouldn't replace it for you. is there something that you are leaving out of your story?

why would they replace it for me, and not for you?

So... how did you crack the monitor?

Black Friday Disappointment at Best Buy

We received inappropriate and likely illegal treatment at the Simi Valley store and by the Corporate office phone line. A group of us loyal customers, stood in line in front of the Simi Valley store on Wed. November 25, 2009, until Black Friday, November 27, 2009, in hopes of purchasing their advertised laptop for sale in the amount of $197. We were amongst the first 10 people in line who were guaranteed a laptop. We were advised the store had 40 more laptops on a first come first serve basis. On their website, it stated this was a ticketed item and only guaranteed a certain amount of customers to receive this item. Come 3 am, when the employees were handing out tickets, we were advised that they were not handing out tickets for this item. One of the employees said the reason was because consumers have until 9 am, once receiving their ticket, to come and pick up the item. This allows them to receive their ticket at 3 am and go to another competitor store and do their shopping there before 9 am. By not ticketing this item, it prevents them from leaving the store, therefore, they will shop and spend more in the store. We were advised that at 4:40 am, they were allowing the first 10 people in the store so they can be guaranteed their laptop, followed by increments of small groups every few minutes. Upon entering the store, we had asked the manager where could we find the $197 laptops. We were advised and directed by an employee to follow the red balloons and stand in line within the red tape. At 5 am, the cashiers would open and then we would be brought out our laptops. This way the first 10 would get their laptops guaranteed. Little by little, people were flooding in and grabbing items, while we all just watched and waited for 5 am. At 5 am, we were called up to the register 1 by 1. I was the 3rd person who was to get a laptop and my group followed, along with the other families we got to know by spending two nights out in the cold, camping out in front of the store. When I got to the register I was told that they were all out of the laptops. Of course this caused pandemonium amongst all of us who sat out there since Wed, to be guaranteed a laptop! The management team was so unprofessional and advised us that it was our fault we did not receive the laptop and no one told us to sit out there since Wed. Of course this did not sit lightly with everyone. The employees kept advising that they only guaranteed the first 10 people and the rest was at a first come first serve basis. We kept trying to tell them we WERE the first 10 people and had been sitting out there since Wed to guarantee our spot. The employees were not listening to us and were very rude and condescending, even one manager, Jason, jumped up on a stool and started yelling at us telling us to get out of the store. It even got to the point where they called the police on us. Now, while sitting outside the store since Wed. afternoon, we got to know the police in the area. They had patrolled by and kept an eye on us, for our safety. They even would come by and have friendly conversations with us about our shopping spree, family, sports, etc. They knew we WERE the first in line. When the employees told the police of the situation, they just shook their heads at the employees and advised us that we had ourselves a civil action case and suggested we take the company to court. The police knew that some of us missed Thanksgiving dinner with our families to guarantee we got a laptop, as a Xmas gift for our children. We can not get that quality time back. Needless to say, the police were on our side and therefore, they just left the store. A teenage boy who was standing in the line behind us for 2 days, happened to be in the area where they had the laptops and saw people who were at the end of the line outside, grabbing the laptops. He was lucky enough to grab one. He came over to where we were and heard the commotion. He knew we were outside the store for several days, he handed the laptop to a lady who was one of the first 10 people. He knew she should have received a laptop. This teenage boy knew Best Buy was wrong and that this lady should be getting this laptop, not him. For a complete stranger, let alone a teenager, to recognize that Best Buy was in the wrong, was just very upsetting and shows how their company has lost compassion for the American consumers! When this lady went to purchase the $197 laptop she was promised was the price from Best Buy's advertisement and what was tagged right on the side of the laptop as $197, the employee tried to charge her $297. Again, we all were upset because this was not the price the advertisement announced. The employee advised us that they had optimized ALL the laptops, which is $100 extra, and if she wanted to purchase the laptop and walk out with it that day, she would have to pay $100 extra. WHAT???!!??? Where in their advertisement did it say, "$197 laptop, $100 optimized - out the door $297". This is plain and simple FALSE ADVERTISEMENT!!! This was a scam by Best Buy!! Again, we were trying to argue this amount with the employees, which got us NO WHERE! We were again told several times that it was not the company's issues and if we had a problem to take it up with their corporate office. When asked for the number, The store manager, Adelyn, rudely stated the number out loud and told us to leave. I had asked her to write the number down as well as her name. She rolled her eyes at me and wrote the number and her name on a card. She wrote her name so sloppy that we could not even read her name. She again told us she was not going to do anything and to leave the store. Of course we were very upset and appalled at the treatment we received from a well known store like Best Buy. We were treated like criminals and forced to leave the store. We sat outside the store, trying to get a hold of the corporate office and were hung up on. We called back, and were advised it was not their issue, we had to handle it with the store. We even asked them what was the purpose of their corporate office, if they do not handle situations like this. We were even accused of being liars. After all this repetitive abuse, we decided to take matters one step further. We NEEDED someone to listen to us. The family behind us, knew of a corporate attorney. She got on the phone with him and he advised us we had a class action case against Best Buy since there were several families involved in this matter and we had a store full of witnesses. Which by the way, these witnesses were pretty upset as well at the treatment we received and how this whole situation was handled that they provided us their contact numbers so they can be a witness if we needed them to be. The attorney advised he would take the case and file a class action suit against the company on ALL of our behalves. We wanted to try to give Best Buy a chance to settle this without going that far. We were not looking to cause trouble, we just simply wanted to resolve this issue and receive an apology for the treatment we received. Again, we tried to call corporate. I spoke to a Shirley. Shirley had called the store to try to get their side of the story. She stated the manager of the store's name was Adelyn. She stated that Adelyn advised her that I had gone to another department to get another item, therefore I lost my place in line. Adelyn also advised Shirley that they only guaranteed the first 10 in line. Shirley got back on the line with me and told me what she was told by Adelyn. Now, this was very upsetting that Best Buy would hire a manager who would lie and try to turn things around like this. This not only makes her look very bad, but this is also a reflection on the company, especially with Adelyn being the store manager. First of all, Adelyn did not know who was calling and complaining. There was a group of us who were there, we were all upset and we all got on our cell phones to complain to corporate. There is no way she would have known who was on the phone since she never once asked our names to identify us. The only way she would know I went to another department to get something else is if ALL 10 of us who were let in first, went to another department first together to get something else. Which of course was NOT the case! Shirley then advised me that it now turns into Adelyn's story against mine. I had advised Shirley that I know for a fact that I was not the only one calling in and complaining and the others would have the same story as I did. Shirley told me that no one had called in and there are no complaints against this store. Which again was a lie because I was standing next to someone who just got off the phone with corporate with their complaint and there were several others right next to me on their cell phones with corporate as well. I advised Shirley it was not my story against Adelyn's. I told her I know you guys have cameras in your store and if she wanted the truth to pull the video tapes, which will show we went up to the manager and we were directed to stand in a line within the red tape behind the cashiers. I advised Shirley that we had contacted an attorney, as well as the media, and I was calling to give their company a chance to try to resolve this matter before we were to meet with the media that morning. I was then advised by Shirley to do what I feel like we needed to do because there was nothing she could do to help me. We met with Fox Channel 11 news, in front of the store, a half an hour later. We all expressed our concerns and complained about the customer service and treatment we were provided. We also expressed our concerns on the company's false advertisement. This was fraud, a scam! The news interviewed the store manager, Adelyn, who stated unfortunately they did not have any more laptops to provide us, but in exchange, they would provide each of us with a $200 gift card and a discount on another item in the store. The representative from Fox news approached us and advised us of the offer from the store manager and then left. When the group (the 8 of us) approached Adelyn to accept her offer, she then told us that she was not giving us each a gift card, she was just going to give one gift card in the amount of $200. This was ABSURD!! AGAIN, we were lied to by their employee, a manager at that!! We, of course argued again with Adelyn and advised her that we did not just stay 3 days and 2 nights in front of their store just for a $200 gift card for the 8 of us. We each were purchasing a laptop. All 8 of us did not stand in line just to purchase 1 laptop! After a while of complaining to Adelyn, she told us this was all she was going to do for us and we were not going to get anything more out of her. Adelyn advised us to deal with corporate. She stated that by us complaining to corporate, they can do more for us then what she could. Adelyn finally said she would just give two $200 gift cards to two of us and the rest could buy something else at a discount and then work it out with corporate to get something from them. I was very upset and to the point where I refused to purchase another item from Best Buy! Regardless of how good the deal was, I was NOT going to contribute another penny to a company who has NO respect for their faithful and loyal customers! Therefore, I was NOT going to purchase anything else for a discount. This whole thing has been a scam to rip off the American Consumers!! We called corporate again and advised once more of the whole situation, and were told there was nothing they can do and it should have been handled in the store with the manager. Corporate even got Adelyn on the other line so they can hear from Adelyn what she wanted them to do for us. Adelyn stated that she did not know why we were calling and she already gave us a discount and gift card. We reminded Adelyn that she was the one who told us to work something out with corporate because she could not give us all the $200 gift card. Adelyn denied ever telling us that. We kept advising her of the whole conversation that took place in the store to refresh her memory and reminded her that she told us to deal directly with corporate to get this issue resolved. We have gotten nowhere with the corporate office and with the Simi Valley store management. We wrote a letter to the CEO of Best Buy and are hoping they provide us the $200 gift card and discount for another computer, that their manager had promised us on TV. We are still pending the results of this letter. I am so disappointed with Best Buy and I am hoping the CEO can restore my faith in this company. If not, I will boycott Best Buy every chance I get!
#381993

Scott, I am sorry they did that to you too! What store did you go to?

I have not been back to that store since my experience. I would advise you to contact the CEO of Best Buy. I did and ended up getting a gift card for the difference I would have saved.

Keep letting them know how they store managers NEED more training!! Good Luck!

#381911

You counted the number of words he posted???? :x :x :x :eek :eek :eek :sigh :sigh :sigh :zzz :zzz :zzz :roll :roll :roll

I went to Best Buy on Black Friday and Best Buy sais anyone will get signed up to get the 42 inch TV at the 200 dollar price. Everyone went in and the person said we were not able to get the deal because all of a sudden the Best Buy computer network was down and that Best Buy would not be able to take customer's information. A manager told me to get out of the store and that she does not want my business after I asked why Best Buy would not fulfill what they had promised.

You're the kind of person that makes working in retail a *** nightmare.

crits you for over 9000

Product
Best Buy Gift Card

Best Buy refuses to return/replace defective TV

Do not buy big ticket items there - they don't care about their customers, and their service plan is a joke! I bought a new, Samsung LCD TV on July 4th, 2008 and spent $2500 on the TV and peripherals. A week ago I noticed that the frame that surrounds the screen was detaching from the rest of the tv on one side. Since I purchased the protection plan, I called and scheduled service, and had to wait a week to get service since I work Mon-Fri. Today, the tech showed up and told me it was a cosmetic defect and therefore not covered (then why did they let me schedule a service call in the first place and why did they sell me a $220 service plan that covered "everything"??). The 1-800-Best-Buy customer service rep dug up a footnote in their protection plans that "accidental and intentional physical damage" is not covered when I complained that no one had explained to me that so-called cosmetic issues were not covered by my protection plan. For the record, this footnote is NOT LISTED on the brochure that Best Buy gives you that describes their Home Theater Performance Service Plan. To add insult to injury, the rep refused to authorize letting me exchange the TV in store since I was past the 30 days exchange/return (as of today it has been 51 days). I am SO FURIOUS with Best Buy - it's not like I'm trying to return the TV after using it for two months. I just wanted to exchange it for a TV free of defects, which is what I thought I was getting when I fist bought it! So now I have to go through the hassle of trying to get Samsung to replace the TV - oh joy, they're sending out a tech, but they're claiming that cosmetic and physical damage is not covered under their policy either - I think I'm going to scream!! Two months ago, I was excited to make my first big ticket electronics purchase and it has turned into the worst shopping experience of my life. I WILL NEVER SHOP AT BEST BUY AGAIN, which I told their customer service person (not that she cared).

I doubt any reseller would exchange that tv. It took you 50 days to find a flaw, they think you dropped it!

I know ur pissed at the situation, you'd be better off dealing with Samsung. To the commet above, BBY mismanaged?

Have you seen Circuit City's stock price. Go buy your *** online and see what kinda of customer service you get!

If you simply do a little research on the internet you'll see that Best Buy's customer service is a joke. I've never seen so many complaints related to a single retailer's CS department.

In fact, simply ask a few people you know about BB.

I guarantee that at least one of them has had an awful experience with this poorly managed company. After my horrendous experience, I am on a personal campaign to discourage as many people as possible from patronizing Best Buy.

View more comments (1)