Phoenix, Arizona
1K views

This past black friday 11/25/11, I bought a samsung 43" plasma TV. After the checkout process, a best buy employee loaded the TV into my car and I proceeded to drive home.

I unload the TV from my car and into my house, where it sat untill tonight 12/11/11. I had originally planned not to open it untill I moved into my new house but my patience was wearing thin and finally decided to open my new TV. Keep in mind the TV sat in the same exact place I set it down on the day I bought it. So I open the TV to find the screen is cracked in numerous places.

Upon returning the TV to Bestbuy, the representative at the "customer service" counter informs me she can not accept the TV for return. Their argument: Since the box that the TV came in was completely undamaged the only way the screen could have been damaged was if it was damaged when it was taken out of the box i.e., when it was in my care, not theirs, of course they assume I took it out and broke it myself. "If it was damaged on our account their would have to be *** or some kind of puncture in the box where the crack was located" is what they told me. Not only is this complete malarkey but there are a million other ways that this TV could have been damaged.

One plausible way and what I think to be the most likely reason was that if the TV was stood up, while still in the box, in the back room of a bestbuy or wherever for that matter, and fell over flat on the floor, there would be no puncture in the box and the screen would still break. BOOM, completely plausible, but for some reason bestbuy just refutes as impossible.

Comments

I bought a Samsung 32 inch tv at best buy and when I got home also found the tv to have a crack screen. It was on sale and they had a stack of the tv's in the aisle so I just picked one off the top, it had no visual defects on the box.

I immediately took it back and was told there was nothing that they could do. Paid $279 for a tv I didn't have a chance to plug in. That was all most a year ago and I am still fuming.

Was told I needed to take it out of the box at the store and make sure it was not damaged before taking it home. I previously bought two larger tvs at best buy with no issues and didn't even imagine that I needed to check items before leaving the store.

Had this happen with a TV we won in some drawing. The Styrofoam was cracked on the top inside the box (which was perfectly fine in appearance) which shows evidence of it having been dropped/fallen and landing on the top, which is where the crack was from top corner to top corner arcing downwards to the middle. The packing itself is designed to withstand normal handling, including falling over while stood up,etc. And in my personal experience a TV will not crack in such a situation. Takes usually a 3+ foot highdrop like if they were unwrapping a pallet and it fell off, or if shipped through best buy business from the shipper.

If you unbox a TV that is damaged/not working get photos of everything, especially the packaging.

I would have demanded to see a manager and if tthey would not allow exchange would tell them you will sue for negligent damages to private/personal property as well as contacted their corporate offices over the issue

the reason they don't believe that it came that way, is because most people don't hold onto a tv for 2 weeks with a cracked screen. Now in your case, you didn't open for a few weeks, which sucks, but from their prospective, it makes sense that they wouldn't return it.

This EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME!

WE WENT THREE TIMES AND THE MANAGER TOLD ME THAT IF I RETURNED IT WITHIN A DAY THEN I COULD'VE GOTTEN A RETURN BUT NOT IF IT'S 2 WEEKS AFTER. THEY TOLD ME THE ONLY WAY WE CAN GET OUR MONEY BACK IS FROM SAMSUNG.

Maybe that's what happened to you?

Best Buy Reviews