BestBuy.com Dropped the Ball | Best Buy in New Haven, Connecticut

I ordered the uDraw GameTablet with uDraw Studio for Nintendo Wii via BestBuy.com. Shipping was not available to my home, so I was forced to select a location for in-store pickup. Before driving an hour each way, I called the store that I selected via their website, only to find out that it was a Mobile BestBuy (mall kiosk), not an actual store, and store pick-up was not an option for that item. I called Customer Service, they apologized for the error, and said they'd ship my purchase to my home. A couple days later, I received a notification that the item is on backorder and would ship by December 10th. This morning (12/10/12), I received an email that my order has been cancelled. I am pissed that BestBuy.com allows you to order items for same day in-store pickup from locations that not only don't have the item in stock, but don't even carry the item ordered. Weeks later, I am forced to pay more than triple my initial purchase price to order from one of their competitors, because the item turned out to be in high demand. Whereas, if I had ordered from one of their competitors initially, I would have had this product in my hands already, at a much lower cost. I will never buy anything from BestBuy.com again.

Say Bye Bye to Best Buy

Say Bye Bye to Best Buy Let's say bye bye to Best Buy and send them the way of Circuit City! Today I got an E-mail from Best Buy that read "Need help with your order?" "You left an item in your cart". If I could have, I would have written back and said, "You have lost an item in your head between your ears". You see the day before I went to order a computer on line and was told it was unavailable for shipping, to pick it up at my local store. The problem was my computer told me, the computer I wanted to purchase, was unavailable in none of my local stores. So crossing my fingers, I called the closet store which was Beaumont, Texas. One customer service person told me sorry, then solicited me to purchase something else. I told her that was called a Bait and Switch tactic. She did not have a clue as to what I was talking about. The store manager initially was very helpful and polite too in telling me, "Sorry we just sold the only one we had 10 minutes ago". When I got upset, and did the, "Yeah Right Thingy!", he politely hung up on me. Then … Just when I should have quit when I was spiritually and mentally defeated, I did a dumb thing and called the Best Buy National Number. There I was soundly trounced, skewered and barbecued. Not with nastiness or impropriety, but with pleasantry, and truth. The national representative who works for best buy told me, "I get this same complaint all the time from lots of people who are as angry as you are. I agree with you, it is wrong for Best Buy to advertise an item and then not have it available." He went on to empathize with me explaining how he understood the time I spent researching and choosing a computer, going through the ordering process only to be stonewalled. Of course he did not offer any resolution to the problem. My impression was he knew there was no resolution. Obviously … I remain a glutton for punishment since I am writing this open letter to the world at large. Although frustrated and angry, I intend to persevere if for no other reason than to simply not let Best Buy or any other money grubbing operation to do that to me. Oh by the way, the BBB has had almost 10,000 complaints against BB in the last 3 years. Remember the price of consumer freedom is eternal vigilance!

That manager was an exception. Providing good service will get him fired.

Uninformed customers need to learn what bait and switch actually means...offering an alternative is not bait and switch.

Complaints about computers will be coming in from all retailers around this time...especially around when a new operating system comes out they all sell out of the old OS computers and can't sell the new OS computers till the release date of the OS.

This is what happens when there is no competitors.. Microsoft has Apple so when a new OS comes out there is no alternative for a computer you must wait till the new one comes out. And when best buy goes out of business the company that everyone goes to can do the same thing and in the end can literally tell its customers to *** if you don't like it where else will you go.

ShuutokuTentei

UPDATE: Say Bye Bye To Best Buy ...

This is most certainly my week for the unexpected. As well, I know those of you who read this self update after consuming my initial complaint cannot help but think that I was bought off, originally substantially in error, or threatened by a platoon of Jack Booted Geek Squad members.

Yet, I assure you, it is none of the preceding. I am in fact the author of the foregoing complaint. What happened simply is that my letter of complaint caught another Managers attention. A different manager from the Beaumont, Texas store called, was sincerely apologetic, then asked me to allow him a few hours to locate the computer I wanted.

He actually called back within minutes telling me he had located my computer in Lake Charles, Louisiana and it would be here locally in 2 days to pick it up. I could not be more pleased that someone took the proverbial bull by the horns and actually made an effort to service a customer. Please forgive my lack of passion, and ill timed sarcasm as I have become a bit jaded. Truly … Kudos to Arthur the manager who did in minutes what no one even made an effort to do.

In closing, I suppose I could just let my original complaint stand without an update, but for me that would be as bad as what was originally done to me. As a consumer, and a merchant myself, I feel it critically important that merchants feet be held to the fire.

However, I feel it twice as important, in spirit and truth, to report when a merchant does take responsibility and make things right. As they say two wrongs do not make a right, and two rights are a beginning to keeping the circle complete.

View more comments (2)
Tags
  • customer service person

Best Buy, Switch and Bait Tactics...

My TV that I purchased in November 2011 six months ago needed repair. A Blue line across the screen appeared and was permanent. I called Best Buy to get it repaired, I was told that being that the TV, Samsung 60" LCD, 3D was still under the manufactures warranty being only 6months old to file my claim thru Samsung, instead of the extended 4 year warranty thru Best Buy. I purchased the extended 450.00 warranty at the time of purchasing the TV. Now all of this communication is with the Geek Squad, and so they asked for the usual info ID number, serial number etc. I was told to expect a tech to come out and check the TV and was given a date and time. The date and time passed and the next day I called to see what happened. I was told that this is a well known issue and that they have ordered the part "flat screen" and would call when it was in to schedule a time then. Two weeks later I call Best Buy, and was told that the item was on "extended back order" and that I should now call Samsung directly to get them to just replace the TV. At no point was any recconigition made to never showing up for the appointment, the two weeks of nothing as to a update on the TV. Finally after contacting Samsung directly I recieved a return number and that Best Buy would swap out my TV. The time that has passed now is 4weeks. I recieved a call from Mike at corporate that everything was all set and to bring my TV for the exchange. I went to the Mission Viejo, CA location to swap out the TV and after 2 hours of trying to strong hold me into paying $250+ for a new TV, I picked up my TV and left the store. I called their corporate customer service and explained my situation and was told it would be a couple of days before I would hear back from them. Three days later I did recieve a message asking if I had heard anything from the store and if any new was up? Made no sence of the message and called corporate to find out what was going to be done. After multiple calls to supervisors managers I was offered this- either pay the difference of $200+ for the comp. tv or they would continue to look for a out of box TV. The TV I purchased was NEW, never opened etc. apparently the TV was on sale and that the TV is out of stock and the new model has replaced it, but costs more and hence why I needed to pay the difference. I argued that I don't set the price you sell TVs for etc. I have now contacted Samsung and they are shipping me the updated TV at no charge. Best Buy has lost a loyal customer who likes the latest stuff and is on there way down. Buyer be ware!

Best of luck in your journey in life, sounds like you have discovered the answers to all questions. By your insightful responces and first hand knowledge we should all follow your wise wisdom.

Then again, not!

Patrick

um.. ***, you mentioned the extended warranty in the first paragraph of your post.

and oh yeah, I somehow work at Best Buy just because you don't like what I say. well since I don't like what you say, how about I just assume that you kidnap children and keep them locked in your basement? well that might sound crazy but I guarantee you that I don't work for a crazy store like Best Buy. nor would I ever want to with seeing how many immature, ignorant nut jobs shop there.

and buddy, your product includes a 1 year limited MANUFACTURER'S WARRANTY.

Samsung built your TV, not Best Buy. the extended warranty with Best Buy starts after Samsung won't do *** for you anymore.

that's why it was still Samsung's responsibility. before just saying yes to an extended warranty next time, learn about it.

The first thing Best Buy told you to do was call the manufacturer. And you didn't.

What did you expect??? And NO, Best Buy did NOT have a "1 year guarantee", the manufacturer does. Which is why they told you to go to them first. Everything BB did was according to the warranty that your purchased and signed for.

You have failed.

And will continue to fail. Please do not reproduce.

FYI

After the joke service of Best buy, I delt with Samsung directly and they were more then happy to send me a new TV to my home and pick up the broken one. Something Best Buy never attempted do with more $$.

Who said anything about extended warranties, try reading the facts rathan then your interpertation of them. The Tv broke less then 4 months from when I purchased it.

Sounds like you work for Best Buy, I guess the 1 year guarantee means nothing. Also when some the company says to come in and we will exchange it we should all assume to bring the credit cards.

Patrick

no, obviously you have a misunderstanding of extended warranties. they give you the money that YOU SPENT and put it towards another product or another TV in this case.

let's say you spend $1500 on a TV and a 3 year extended warranty costs you $300. your TV breaks after a year but your TV isn't being sold anymore. you see an updated model but it costs $1700 now. well you aren't getting the more expensive TV for free, you pay the difference.

altogether in that situation, you would pay $500 for the new TV instead of spending S1700 on a brand new TV. I'm not sure if it gets more simple than that but basically, you can't buy something, get the extended warranty and then be able to get a more expensive product if yours breaks.

Obviously there is a missunderstanding.

When Best Buy told me to bring the tv in to exchange it then upon arriving and handing over my tv to them, to hear it will be an additional $200+ to exchange it. I don't know of a more clear definition of bait and switch!

Learn the definition of bait and switch.

Patrick

while I do agree with you when you basically say that Best Buy didn't treat you very fairly in this situation, it's not really bait and switch.

View more comments (8)

Best buy ripoff

I ordered a camera from bestbuy.com. I chose the store pickup option because as stated in their store pickup policy if after placing the item in your cart, if it says item is available for pickup then it is in stock. The order said the camera could be picked up at the Florence, Ky location that day. About 2 hours later I got an email stating that my order was ready for pickup. So i printed my order and took it to the store. After a 30 minute wait in line I was told the camera was not in stock and they had no idea when or if it would be available. Of course my credit card had been charged. The store wouldn't cancel my order so i had to call bestbuy.com to cancel. Bestbuy.com said they would ship the camera to my home when one was available but they couldn't waive the $3.99 shipping charge! Really? What a joke they are. I told them to stick it and canceled. I can buy this camera from hundreds of different places for the same price. So now i wait for a refund for something I never really purchased. Beware people. Best Buy is taking orders and charging cards for items they don't have and can't get. Sure you might get a refund but what a hassle. Don't shop bestbuy.com!

best buy selling amazon cards that wont work. said sorry but you will have to contact amazon we wont help you.good luck trying to get help from amazon. all lying indians

Christmas morning not so fun thanks to Best Buy

On 12/13/11 we purchased two tablets from Best Buy for our children 10 and 12 years old. We were told these were guaranteed shipping by Christmas. Then we returned items that these tablets were replacing. On 12/19 I called 888-BESTBUY asking why I have not received shipping information yet. After being on the phone for 47 minutes and placed on hold several times, I was told that my items were scheduled to be shipped at some point that day. The man I spoke to said they may have already been shipped, but if not they would go out my the end of the business day. I thought, Great. It is close but they are on there way. 25 hours before Christmas I get an e-mail that Best Buy does not have these tablets in stock and expect them in 4-5 weeks. Wonderful, lets just celebrate Christmas in 4-5 weeks. Best Buy should have never sold items that they did not have in stock to ship. Now I have to try to replace these on Christmas Eve and still stay within our budget. This will definitely make me never order any thing else from Best Buy. In my opinion they think this is acceptable. As a consumer I fell they should be ashamed of themselves.

You are a bad parent and need to teach yourself some morals, you were taught wrong so shame on your parents and to put a "block" on your childs computer just deems you untrustworthy of your children and just shows you have no control over them

Find the tablets elsewhere (cheaper if you can) and cancel your order, call your credit card company and challenge the charges, if they've already charged you, they shouldn't have if the product hasn't shipped. Let them know you never received the merchandise.

There are plenty of places you can get these tablets not just Best Buy, don't give them your business. Write a letter to their headquarters, it works, I did the same thing for a problem I had with them.

Children - what is wrong with you? Got nothing better to do than reply to posts here?

when you are old enough to buy something with your hard earned cash, you expect it to be delivered when you are told it will be delivered. You also expect the item to be available unless you're actually told its back ordered. That's part of the responsibility of running a business. When these rules aren't followed you have a problem and customers complain, they have the right to.

Who are you to judge what a parent decides to get their children? You actually proved your own point by posting like you have on here. Shame on you, if your parents knew they should place a block on your computer from going to most sites so you don't cause problems.

Or maybe your parents use the computer to keep you busy so they don't have to deal with you. Shame on you and shame on them!

Kids that age don't need tablets anyway. They'll just break them.

Get them something they need like books to read.

No wonder Americas kids are so dumb these days. They're spoiled with things they don't need and don't know how to use.

View more comments (3)
Best Buy Shipping Service
Ordered a computer online and after the order was placed and accepted on bestbuy.com then we received an email informing us that the unit will only be shipped in 1 - 2 weeks. .. and "We apologize for the inconvenience, If we do not hear from you before we ship your...

I agree...BestBuy.com SUCKS! They did the very same thing to me.

Never told me that the computer that I ordered was on back order until AFTER they took the money out of my account, which they aren't even suppose to do until the item has actually been shipped, and now I have to come up with the money to purchase another one locally because at this point my money won't be available for another 5-7 days if I cancel the order. UNLAWFUL!!! On top of that, they blatantly hung up on me TWICE when I called to discuss their screw-up!

They should be shut down! NEVER will I order from them again!

Best Buy bait and switch

An Acer A100 tablet was offered for $189. Even though several locations claimed availability, I was told they were not available only after I entered all my credit card and personal information. In addition, I received emails confirming that the purchase was made and telling me to call Customer Service to have the unit shipped for free. After talking to Customer Service 4 times, I was still told there were no units available. and if they were, there was no shipping available for that unit. The normal price was for this unit around $350. 2 Days later, I see they are still on sale on the BB website. This time for $249. Again, when I went to the locations, and called Customer Service, they claim that no units are available. There were never an minimums mentioned on the site. I have customer service on the phone while writing this. I told them to check any store throughout the country and any warehouses. There are non available even though the website clearly says there is availability. I can understand if the website is not up to the minute accurate, but it's been four days and only the price has changed. But no "out of stock" or "not available at this time" message is posted by the item.

Sure thing:

Bait and Switch-

An illegal tactic in which a seller advertises a product with the intention of persuading customers to purchase a more expensive product. When a seller uses this tactic, they frequently tell the customer that the original product is sold out or no longer available (even if the product is indeed still available), and push hard for the customer to purchase the costlier product. This tactic can be considered false advertising if the seller is not actually providing the original product, but if the item is available but the seller strongly encourages the customer towards another item, in general no legal action can be taken.

So, how did Best Buy persuade the OP to buy a different, more expensive item? They didn't? Sorry, simply running out of a sale item doesn't count as bait and switch.

Simon~

WHy dont you explain the bait & switch instead of calling people names.... unless of course you dont actually know what it means!!!

BTW Anonymous good luck with your situation... :)

You should really learn what bait and switch is before you start accusing a store of it. It really makes you sound like a retard. Google it.

#381984

Ordered a TV this morning online. BB.com claimed the tv was available for shipping.

Checked status 3 hours later... back ordered. Canceled order.Used bb rewards points. Purchase another tv.

Come to find out that my bb reward points wouldn't be available for 3 to 5 days. BB policy is horrible.

View more comments (3)
Best Buy Shipping Service

BEST BUY FALSE ADVERTISING!!!!!

BestBuy.com is a rip off. You order merchandise online to pick up in store and you get an email stating the merchandise is not available at the store and to call customer service to have it shipped for free. The email also states BestBuy will not charge your credit card until they check availability at the store. BestBuy customer service does not offer the free shipping or any shipping at all, so basically the email is a lie and you purchase an item they can not provide. They also authorize your credit card which holds the money for 3-5 days.It's not "charging" your card but the money is unavailable your use for several days. SO you have no merchandise and no money for 3-5 days. It's going on day 3 and I still do not have the $650.00 back after I cancelled the orders for two laptops bought one after another due to their inacurracy of stock on hand at my local store. In addition, Bestbuy leaves the items on their website at least 2hours after they know it is not in stock in the local store.I personally timed the order after it happened to me the first time. I had to call customer service myself to have the internet ad taken down after I threatened to sue for false advertising. POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE, BUSINESS PRACTICES, AND BORDERING ON INTERNET FRAUD. DONT RISK IT FOLKS!"

:upset :( :x :sigh :p :grin :) :roll :eek

when you buy for instore pick up do you not take in to account the fact that there are customers in the store buying the same product? Common sense!! It may be availble when you are online but be sold out by the time your order goes through and as far as the money hold goes....that's all your bank and how long they hold your funds before releasing them

This happened to me and others too.

You make it sound like Best Buy is the only one that does this. They ALL do it!

Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Sears, Circuit City, etc etc. The list goes on and on.

Best Buy equals the BIGGEST *** cking crooks ever!

Best buy is trying to do same thing to us. We had multiple black friday options for laptops.

We chose best buy and made purchase.

Now they send email saying it isn't in stock but they will ship for free from warehouse. When you call they say they have nothing, but a few hours later you get email asking you to call and they will ship free from warehouse?!?

They need to honor the transaction and respect the customer!

It was completely relevant after they did this to him for him to time how long they kept the post up.. Ppl are buyin these items and best buy is charging them and they dont even have any in stock!

It shows that they knew they were out and still were taking ppls money for a product they dont even have!

Thats basiclly stealing! u must need a hobby if u have so much time to just sit around and try to make fun of ppl, when hes actually the one whos right!

Hey. I'd say that a mad & irate customer does this sort of thing.

I; myself DON'T have a problem with Best buy. I love the place. My rant is with Direct TV. But I can tell you this.

When it comes to your money; no telling what you may do. So I don't think you should try to be-little this person.

That's NOT what these forums are here for. You may want to think about that next time you have a problem with a company & YOUR money, "So Sad".

Who sits there and times the internet to see when an item is removed?Quick someone get this man a hobby and a life asap.

:cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry

View more comments (8)
Loss

Best Buy and there rude costumer service

I bought a 55' LG t.v on Wednesday and was told it will be shipped on Friday. They said they will email me the shipping info and call me to let me know when there coming....they NEVER did either. Then when i call to find out, the workers at the store was so RUDE. They did not even help me. But..... when i was purchasing the t.v Wednesday, they were all kissing my *** I am super pissed...i will not go to the Margate Best Buy anymore...i will purchase my electronics elsewhere....uhhhhh super pissed
Judye

Dear Sir,

We regret the inconvenience you had to face and would like to help resolve this issue on priority basis. We have made a note of your complaint and request you to kindly provide us with your service request number/complaint number or contact details so that we can look into the matter.

For any further assistance, please feel free to write us at serviceindia@lge.com

Regards,

LG Customer Support Team

Best Buy Shipping Service
So I ordered a samsung 40 lcd with a stand on black friday. I asked it to be delivered on wednesday the 1st of december, wednesday the 1st rolls around and no tv or stand. I checked my voicemail and the message from best buy says that the tv and stand will be delivered...

Yep, I work for Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, Toys R Us, Staples, and Office Max. If someone doesn't automatically take a customer's side, that is proof positive of their employment.

Anyone who says that a store ruined their Christmas clearly has their priorities out of whack.

And the fiancée crying? A grown man?

Because of a TV? These people are clearly delusional.

View more comments