Tampa, Florida
1.3K views

I have been a Best Buy Customer for 17 years. They were my first credit card, where I bought my first TV, where I shop every Christmas for electronics. After today, I will no longer be a Best Buy customer.

On August 30, 2011, I purchased a Flat panel television and a Rocketfish Large Tilt Mount. My husband and I were excited and looking forward to watching the new TV. We scheduled for a private installation company to come out and their first available date was 9/10.

Day of the installation the tech noticed we were proactive and bought a wall mount, he pointed out that he had the same type of wall mount for a quarter of the price; not to mention there were other retailers that sold the product for less than what I paid. He suggested I return the item and use his mount; I took him up on the offer.

In today's economy, every penny counts and $80 in savings is a tank of gas or groceries. Being the good consumer that I am I put my receipt in my purse and put the mount in my car with the intention to go within the week to return the item; unfortunately, life (flooding, business travel, & medical reasons) had other plans for me and I was not able to make the return until today (9/30).

As I approached the counter at Store #565 in Saint Petersburg, Florida, I was greeted by a young girl. I told her my story and reason for returning the mount and was told immediately that she would not be able to return the item because my deadline was 9/29/11. First, I did not even notice the return by date on the receipt when I mentioned this to the girl she pointed out the top of the receipt "returns must be made with receipt by 9/29/11 for 30 day products." The font size look and color no different than anything else on the receipt. I questioned her "How am I suppose to know what a 30 day item is? Nowhere on the product or the receipt it indicates my item is a 30 day item." She referred me to the back of the receipt in the small print amongst a list of details you see all product other than desktops, notebooks, etc are 30 days. If this return by is so important to Best Buy than why do they not make any efforts to highlight or communicate it more effectively to their customers.

I asked the girl, if there would be someone, I could talk to about the return to see if an exception could be made. I was only 1 day late. She advised me that Best Buy can not make any acceptations and the computers are set up not to take the returns; I would need to call Customer Service to discuss.

To make an extremely long call short. I sat in the parking lot and called the number she gave me. The rep I spoke with just repeated what the girl at the counter told me. She said she would call the store and see if the manager at store #565 would possibly agree to at least a store credit; I was on hold for 10 minutes. The customers service rep on the phone returned to the line to let me know the manager refused to take my return and that was Best Buy policy.

I can't believe that Best Buy would treat loyal customers, like myself, in this manner. I am so insulted, so offended, and so shocked that any business today would have these types of business practices. The policy and the people I dealt with made me feel like I should be grateful that I could shop at one of their stores instead of them being grateful that I shop at their store. I understand policies need to be set in place for people that abuse the return policy; but I am not one of them and I WILL NOT BE TREATED AS SUCH.

I will post my letter everywhere and anywhere I can, I will tell all my friends and family, and I will make sure that Best Buy knows that they have lost our business. Going forward I will shop in other retailers who have a realistic return policy and who show that they appreciate my business and want me to come back again; not to mention I won't have to worry paying for overpriced items such as the wall mount I am now stuck with and have no use for.

Product or Service Mentioned: Best Buy Credit Card.

Comments

A complaint about a store not accepting a return outside of their return policy is not a valid complaint. Case closed.

Best Buy takes pride in not returning items. I bought a monitor that had a defect, there was a dot on the screen.

Because I lost the receipt the manager refused to exchange the monitor. No matter how much I begged, complained or bitched she only laughed and got more aggressive.

Best buy likes screwing over customers. They take pride in it.

Yep, you are all Best Buy employees. My last post telling you this was taken off.

Ha!

Now the battle begins. Consumers against Best Buy or should I say Worst Buy?

All of you that are saying that they can't bend the rules in order to keep customers must be paid employees of Best Buy, and yes I have worked retail for 20 years. My customers come back for great prices, merchandise and oh...fantastic customer service. What a concept.

I think everyone is missing the point here. Is it worth losing a customer over a small return that can easily be resold than losing a customer for life?

Best Buy spends a lot of money in advertising in order to attract and keep customers. This is a poor decision on Best Buy's behalf because they lost a customer for life that will be sharing this story with friends and family who in turn will also share the story.

I am sure that if you own a business or ask some who owns a business if it was worth losing this customer they would tell you "No". Best Buy needs to look at hiring more mature minded employees that can think outside of what the policy reads or what the register will allow us to do or not do.

How is this Best Buy's fault and not your own? Why should they make an exception for you?

If they change their policy for you, they'd have to change it for everyone. Get off your high horse.

not finding out until 10 days after it was purchased that I didn't need it didn't help my schedule. Tha left me 20 days, being admitted to the hospital for 14 days 2 days later left me 4 days to return it.

If you were a Best Buy customer of 17 years then you would know the return policy.

Everyone is busy. I can't imagine you not have ANY time to go to the store. You were busy for 4 straight days? Didn't stop to eat lunch?

It's your fault it wasn't returned on time, no one else....

They did everything they were suppose to. They provided you with information and 30 days to return it.

Sorry but life happens. Company's know this, thats why they give you 30 days.

Maybe return it within the returns window next time? Some people will do anything for a buck - except work for it.

Everyone has a personal life, not just you.

If they make exceptions because you couldn't find someone to run an errand for you, they'd have to make exceptions for the person who "forgot, but it wasn't their fault" which would be extremely ***.

Refusing to shop there because of your slothfulness, and belief that you are too elite to follow basic rules is extremely childish.

You're not entitled to any thing special. You were too lazy to read the receipt to learn the return policy. Its your fault.

Why couldn't your husband make the return for you? Or are you the only one who can handle such a big responsibility?

It was printed on the receipt, in black-and-white (or blue-and-white, whatever color their printers' inks are). They don't need to put neon signs on the products or highlight the due dates in multi-colored markers to tell you if they're 30-day products or not; you just have to read the slip of paper they give you.

I've worked retail for almost ten years (I'm 25) and it never ceases to amaze me how much people take receipts for granted.

They are the most important part of the purchase, giving return dates, specifics, and item descriptions. I'm sorry you've had so many problems, but rules are rules; even if Best Buy wanted to, their computers would turn down the refund automatically.

BBHTR

Hmmm, oh that's right the recent flood that totally destroyed my back yard and pool took the other 4 days up. Don't assume I was just sitting on my behind smelling roses.

nikalseyn

What do you mean you are OFFENDED??? Just living must do massive harm to your self esteem.

Good grief!!! You had until 29 Sept. to return the thing and you did not. End of story.

You snooze, you lose.

Best Buy cannot make exceptions. For anyone, even brightlites like you who are too "busy" to follow the rules and then complain they are "offended." Get a life, lady.