Hamtramck, Michigan

First and foremost, I would like to state that I have always loved Best Buy. When I was a kid for me going to Best Buy was like going to Toys R Us for other kids, and when going there I always felt like a kid on Christmas morning. This love has been going on since Best Buy was opened close to 15+ years ago. I love how they are set up, their selection, the aesthetics of the displays and just about everything in regards to the store.

Unfortunately, that was until my unfortunately experience yesterday. I purchased a VSS4000 startsmart remote start unit for my 2012 Mazdaspeed 3. I wanted the 3000, but the Geek Squad installers told me that only the 4000 would work with my car, ok $100 more. Installation was supposed to be included in the price, but they tacked on another $130 for the install, plus parts, so my $300 unit with installation ended up costing me $590. Wow, but ok, I thought it was worth it, it was a Christmas present from my girlfriend to me, and I figured just get it and be done with it. I set an appointment and was told they would need the car for 5.5 hours. Darn, but ok… take all day just do it right, right? Not so. I had to take an hour off work to drop off the car, had to arrange for transportation back to work, and then arrange for transportation from work to get the car. No problem, all day I was so happy I was finally going to get my remote start to keep me warm in the winter. I dropped the car off at 10 AM, and told them I would be back at 7.30 PM. I get a call a little after 4, everything is going great, and they need my info so that I can set up the service plan from Viper to be able to send a signal to the car. I set up the plan and paid $113 for 3 years of service. At 6.40 PM I get a call stating sorry, no can do, we had the car apart, were on the phone with tech support for 3 hours and it just won’t work. So, after all day of being happy and impatient to get my Christmas present installed, you can imagine my disappointment.

Best Buy was good enough not to haggle over a refund, but that does not include the $113 I spent for the service plan from Viper. I still have to waste my time trying to get that refunded. Also, the $600 I paid at Best Buy was refunded to my debit card, so the funds will be on hold for who knows how many days. Of course, I asked to speak to a manager regarding the problem, hoping that for my trouble and their incompetence I would be compensated with at the very least a small gift card for $25 saying sorry, at the best a $100 gift card. The manager came, and already had a look on his face like he was eating dirt. I explained my problem to him, and the entire time he was not only anti-sympathetic, but he was actually a *** about the whole thing. I explained to him what happened, and he told me, well we did all we could. I asked him, why was I sold something that would not work in my car, made to waste my time, take time off work, have someone waste time taking me to the place, have my car taken apart, have to now fight with Viper for a service plan refund, all for nothing? The manager actually smirked at me and said, “What do you want me to do. Its not our fault/problem.” I asked what went wrong, why did this happen, and how can we make it work. His reply, “I don’t know”. Even a mediocre manager would 1) sympathize with my problem 2) try to resolve it, or provide steps to get the problem resolved 3) minimally compensate me for their ineptitude and failure to understand the product.

I never thought I would say this, but Best Buy = Epic Failure in product knowledge, management and customer experience.

Comments

John T.... Can u say anything besides telling us what the dec 2012 issue of Consumer Reports says?

You post the same comment on almost every review you read. Enough, we get it. You are very tiresome just repeating yourself and I'm sure everyone else is tired of reading it too. Man of many words here....

Just repeat the same *** over and over. So clever.

indigo1898
@Anonymous

Why you never answer his questions?

Poor customer service

Another example of a bad Best Buy experience. The Dec 2012 issue of CONSUMER REPORT rates retailers on page 25. Best Buy is at the bottom.