Best Buy misrepresented their credit line conditions to the consumer

My husband and I purchased 2 televisions, 1 blue ray video player, and 2 Nanos for my children under their credit line available at the time of purchase. We were told that it was zero interest for one year and no min. payments required. We had the money available to pay in cash but decided to take advantage of this promotion. The same day we made this large purchase someone that I knew from my daughters school made a large purchase and used the same promotion to make the purchase. The next month to my surprise we received a bill from Best Buy to make a min. payment. When we contacted the store the manager explained that there nothing he could do and we had to contact their credit department which of course they were not interested in helping us with this issue. I contacted the other person from my daughters school and the same thing happen to them. In the process of trying to get someone from the company to talk to we ended up being late on our payment. No one contacted us personaly and sent a gerenal e-mail stating there was nothing that could be done. So this purchase ended up costing us more than orginaly thought and I am so sorry that I ever went to a company that choose to cheat their customers. Be aware of this company's credit offer and in turn anything else they may offer their customer. I ended up paying the account off with the additional late charge and I never want to purchase another item from this company.
Everett

This is a rather interesting situation. Purchasing that much stuff would lead me to believe that you were at $1,000 or more.

When were you planning on making a payment? All at once in the 11th-month? I guess I cannot question your financial situation, however, if you were indeed told that there was no minimum payment (which is hard to believe, all our employees must take the course on credit and it states there is one) then you we misinformed. HOWEVER, the minimum payment is $10 OR 1% of the purchase price, whichever is greater.

The maximum available credit limit is $5000 (last-time I took the course, but credit laws are changing, there will be another one). Meaning that you were unable to make a payment of $10-$50? This is suspicious, I'm sorry. I understand if they misinformed you, but when you sign on the paper it states: Customer has read and agreed to all terms and conditions.

Regardless of what they tell you, it's still a customer's responsibility to read the literature they're given. I apologize again, best of luck.

As far as any misrepresentation on the terms of a financing agreement...GOOD LUCK! :p

All of the financing options at Best Buy require a minimum monthly payment.

Always read the agreement and ask any questions BEFORE you sign! Failure of you to have an understanding of the terms isn't a defense.

If you can't afford it, or don't want to have a big TV delivered, the best thing to do is have the unit tested/inspected in the store for hidden damage due to shipping. I don't know of any retailer who would refuse to do this for a customer.

Delivery is always your best option, because it insures you have a connection to someone who is responsible for getting the product to you in NEW condition, and without damage; or else the retailer replaces it on their dime.

In your case, the best thing would be to continue to ask for assistance from the store, the corporate office AND Sony.

Even though they didn't deliver your TV, many times the mnufacturer will care enough about their name to go to bat for you with a retailer to settle things in the consumer's favor. In any event, I'm sure it's just a matter of timing and available product before your situaation is taken care of.

"in the process of trying to get someone from the company to talk to we ended up being late on our payment."

apparently it is the retailer's job to get you to make payments too? you were mis-sold on something, but that doesnt put your credit in their hands. be responsible for yourself.

This is amazing that this happened to you because believe it or not I had a terrible experience at Best Buy today as well.

On christmas eve, I read about this deal that best buy was giving on a Sony 40" LCD + Song BluRay Player + Sony 5.1 Surround Sound System for an amazing price of almost $1,300! I wanted to buy it right away so I called and the stores were closed so I call the 24 hour service and the systems were down so I had to wait until the 8AM on the 26th when the store who has the package deal opens. Well what I did was actually leave my place at 7:45AM Saturday morning and got out to this best buy and right away found the package and yes it was their last one. The full package was their last one because they had only one box of the theater system left but there were still tv's and bluray players. It was an amazing feeling at the store to get this deal that not many other stores even had because of one part of the package already sold out. I noticed that the sound system box had some damage on it and the sales associated made a joke about how these packages are treated when they are being shipped but that this units are packed up really well. We paid for the units and even set up that best buy rewards program and we got a free $10 gift card since our total came up to almost $1800 which we also put on our Best Buy Credit Card to take advantage of their 0% special financing.

We took the packages home and surprised the *** out of our parents and I slowly went into the process of setting up the surround sound system with all the wirings and speaker set ups on the walls. It takes a bit of time for all the measuring and hiding of those monster cables that I also had bought ( I really don't like the cables what come with the speakers, too tiny and cheap looking with no shielding of any kind). Now if someone takes as much time and dedication in setting up their surround sound as I do, they understand the amount of time it takes to make sure the speakers are at the right height/distance/volume before anything else.

After dinner I was finally ready for the LCD TV. We took it out of the book and put it on it's stand very carefull and I screwed in the screws to hold the stand in place. I put the tv in my mother's amoir and plugged it all up. My family was very excited to see how everything looks because this LCD is not only 1080p but also has 240Hz which makes the picture just outstanding to see.

Well guess what... we turned it on and saw a HUGE crack looking colors everywhere sort of thing and right away turned it off and inspected the tv. There were NO marks on the screen of the tv except for a little scratch near the middle towards the top of the tv. When turn it back on and there it was... a HUGE crack on the inside with NO marks on the outside. Right away I called Best Buy and spoke to a lady and she told me to bring it back in. It was 9:30pm and at this time I was very tired and I told her that if I am coming back in now that I want another tv (same one) or something extremely similar, nothing less. My brother helped me pack up the tv in it's box (showed no damage on the box at all) and we right away put the tv into the car and left for best buy. We literally got there at 9:58 and I parked the car outside. Went inside and I told another girl that I was here for my problem with the tv. She knew the story so she went to check with a salesperson on another tv that was similar because she said that they don't have anymore units of that model. While waiting we decided to just walk around and look at the tvs on display to see if I can find the one that we bought. Eventually I did and saw a box sitting there all by itself. Right away I went to find the girl and I asked her about this box and the salesperson with her came and looked and said that yes that is our tv. NOW at this point after what had happened I asked the salesperson if he could plug in the tv just so that we can check to make sure that there is nothing wrong with it. After he opened the box and removed the tv out of the box, he was about to plug it in and turn it on when this other man walked up to me. He asked me what had happened to the original tv and I had explained to him my whole day. He flat out told me that he is not returning the tv. I had asked him why and he said that there is no damage on the box. I told him that of course there is no damage on the box and that there is NO damage on the tv except for a small scratch which is not close to the location of the huge crack. This was apparently the sales manager which I found out later on when I asked him who he was because I wanted to talk to someone higher than he is and that was the general manage who was not in. He continued to tell me that he will not exchange the broken tv the store sold to me and that we are not getting our money back either. I kept asking him that this does not make any sense that why is this happening to us. At this point it was approaching 10:30 and the sales manager gave me one option of leaving the store with my broken tv or he will call the local police. I told him to call the police because I am not afraid at all, I was not there to cause any problems and that store was the one who sold me a broken tv. He did call the police on us and I had called my older brother who was listening in on the whole conversation over my cell phone and he had told me to leave and to see if corporate will be willing to help since this sales manager was being completely rude and inconsiderate towards customers who don't spend a couple of dollars at the store but nearly $1,800. So they wrapped up our broken tv and brought it outside which at that time the police had shown up as we got to my car (which was parked right outside the doors of the store). The sales manager told the police officer that there is no problem anymore that we were leaving. At that moment my brother made a comment to the officer asking what is the law regarding a store selling a broken tv? He didn't hear him correctly so he walked up to us and asked what was it he had said so I explained to him very briefly what our situation was. I explained that we were not there to cause a problem but that this manager was being very rude to us and being completely inconsiderate to how upset we were for spending this much money for a gift for my parents and how upset we were that our first LCD tv was broken. The office told me that he has had problems which this store too and that he had stopped shopping there all together. He felt really terrible about what my brother and I just went through there but that when a manager says to leave the store that we really have to leave the store.

We got into our car and we drove home very shocked and upset that out of all places this happened at was Best Buy... we got home at nearly 11pm and explained what happened to our parents who then were in shock as well.

I really don't know what to do at this point, I am going to call corporate but I don't know how should I even go about getting this issue solved. I have never felt this cheated before in my left and it really hurts that our present to our parents was broken and I never even thought about check it at the store before buying it. My emotions got the best of me but now I know that if I am to ever buy something from a store to make sure that product works properly. Yes I did actually go and check out the BluRay player and surround sound system to make sure that they worked.

So now it is nearly 2AM and I have this broken 40" LCD TV in my garage and not sure what course should we take now. I know that we didn't pay almost $1800 for just a bluray player and a surround sound system by Sony.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

View more comments (4)
Best Buy Manager

Best Buy online order but only you can pickup

I ordered online a computer for my daughter from a Best Buy store in Texas to be picked up at a store in Virginia Beach. However, when my daughter went to pick it up they did not let her. Even though, I had her name as the recipient to pick it up. I even had the manager of the Best Buy at my store call the manager at Virginia Beach and told him he had the parents here with him letting him know everything was legit. The Va Beach managers reply. "okay still not letting her have it". What a ***! Best Buys online promotion mentions order online and pick it up at the store and save on shipping costs. Right! What they do not tell you is that the cardholder has to pick it up! What is the sense doing that if the pick up is out of state? I might as well go to the store and buy it. Duh!!!

Obviously, you only bothered to read what suited you. It clearly states that the person and the card must be present at the time/store the pick up is made.

I realize this doesn't work for you, but if you are willing to drive to your nearest Best Buy location, you are able to purchase products for pick-up at another store BY ANOTHER PERSON! Best Buy .com does NOT offer this service, but the stores DO!

Best Buy - Management

This complaint is regarding the Best Buy located in Irvine, California. My family was harrassed this past weekend at this store. I am so ofended by the way I was treated at this store. I was with my family Christmas shopping on Saturday. We were buying all kinds of goodies from digital cameras to gps units. We spent $1,000 that day. While we were checking out they decided to have a manager stand next to the cashier as she was scanning all items. The manager then bagged the items after the transactions were complete. As we proceeded to walk out of the store, we were stopped by another store manager. This manager's name is Lucey and she asked to see the receipt. We showed it to her, and she moved us to the side. She took everything out of our bags and went through the entire receipt. She told us that we didn't pay for items that were obviously listed on the receipt. She was rude, and made my family feel humilated. Other customers were looking to see what was going on. It was byfar the worst experience I have ever had. In the end (after 15-20 minutes) she saw that everything was paid for. She didn't apologize to us for her behavoir or anything. She was mad, and upset. As soon as I left I called the corporate headquarters, and I called the stores General Manager. The General Manager said that he would talk to her about her behavoir. Later that evening we realized we didn't buy something, and had to back to another Best Buy located in Laguna Niguel, Ca. We went in purchased our items, and walked out without any harrassment. In the end I am asking myself was the outcome of this good enough???? What do you think??

F best buy. If your having a good day, dont brother heading there. You'll just end up being pissed.

Did not address my complant | Best Buy in Auburn, Indiana

Best Buy rejected a personal check written on an account with at least 30 times the amount of the check. I stopped at the bank to see why. The bank said the problem was with best buy's electronic check checking system and not at the bank. I went to another best buy location. Same deal. got phone number for their check system. Got nothing in the way of an answer as to a sense able reason as to why it was rejected. Talked to store manager and was told it had nothing to do with best buy, but was with the global company they hired to do their electronic check checking. The store is within a half mile of the bank I stopped at. Don't the phone lines connect to the bank?

We had the same problem at Best Buy, although we had more than enough to cover our purchase in our account, Telecheck denied us. When i called Telecheck i was informed:

A. I have not had this account for long, there have been too many transactions on it thus far.

--True it is a new account, but i hardly think one transaction yesterday for $20 and the one i tried to make today hardly is TOO many!! Why can't i spend my money? I don't know why he didn't seem to care and know that maybe i am trying to build up history but if you deny me, I CAN"T.

B. You should make more small purchases, to build history???

WTF so your trying to control how i spend my money? Oh i can spend $20 and under but no more than that?? Really why even keep my money in a bank (which i don't) or a credit union if you have to deal with this ***. I'm not going to buy Starbucks or a pack of gum with a check get real i'm sure they wouldn't even take it.

Just so you know debit cards are not an option for me, I have also had this same problem with them at BofA ,when i had an account there... they would freeze my account (suspicious activity) 1 hr later free to spend my money again. I don't like corporations telling me how and when to spend MY MONEY!!!

Well i guess it'll be all cash for me from here on out.

it must be frustrating for the customers that experience this. best buy must be frustrated with it also ---i wonder how many upset customers just go somewhere else to spend their $$.

"Comments on did not address my complant"

Maybe that's because your complaints are pointed in the wrong direction. Best Buy would dearly LOVE to take your check. Unfortunately, with all the flim-flamers about, presenting bad checks, stolen credit cards and funny money, a retailer has to protect itself.

This is where TeleCheck comes in.

If TeleCheck tells a retailer it's suspicious of a transaction, there's some kind of reason. If Best Buy ignores this partner and takes a bad check, then they stand alone. If TeleCheck approves and the check is bad, then Best Buy only stands for a small percentage of the loss.

Yes, this is not a Best Buy problem at all. This has everything to do with Telecheck.

Best Buy cannot override a check that has been declined by Telecheck.

Just wondering, if you could stop by the bank so easily, why didn't you just go by and get the money?

And who the *** uses checks anymore??? Just use a freaking debit card!!!!

We have the same problem where I work, we use Telecheck and many checks are refused when we run them through the Telecheck machine, some of them from clients who we KNOW have more than enough money to cover the check.Telecheck will not tell us why the check is being refused, and though there is a number for the client to call, when they do they just get the run around, never any clear answer as to why the check is refused when the money is in the bank, this often leads to the client yelling threats into the phone at the Telecheck person. Perhaps someone from Telecheck would like to explain how their system works

View more comments (4)

Bad Management Customer Service | Best Buy in Mount Laurel, New Jersey

I know his first name is David and he is the operation finance manager is what we were being told. This Best Buy just open it is store # 1768. He was very rude and did not want to honor an ad that was displayed by the product. We had the salesperson agree to the ad and two other managers agree to honor the ad. If it wasn't for Jamaal and Michael we probably won't be going back as Best Buy customers. David also at one point just refused to talk to us and was very disrespectful to myself and my wife. I just don't understand how someone can be so rude and work in retail. He wasn't willing to work with us and just told us we are done with this conversation and walked off (while my wife was still talking). I enjoying shopping at Best Buy and I know the customer doesn't train it's employees especially managers to treat their customers like that. Thanks to your two other managers we will continue to shop at Best Buy but employees like David will keep them away.

Guillen84,

David only walks away from customers who are cussing at him. Maybe if you pulled your head out of your *** and started acting like an adult, you would be treated like an adult.

Just a suggestion. :p

this sounds like a pissed off employee, and im sory you got the brunt of it. I have seen some best buy managers bend over bacwards to make the customer happy. Being a non comishion sales team most of what they do is for you but prices are very hard to change because they arn't marked up for hagaling.

laptops are package very securely, for a cracked screen to come out of the box it would be hard to believe. now could it have one, everything is possible.

But without a protection plan the manufacture and the store will not replace the item. I work in a computer store and have never seen a screen broken right out of packaging, only dropped or impact by a customer.

Today in the morning I saw an add online about a computer they had on stock at the above best buy, however when I went there and told them the price that I saw online the Operations Manager Joe claimed that that is the price for a refurbished item, I reviewed the SKU of the product and it matched the one on line, I decided to call customer relations which I must admit they were really nice and they tried to talk the manager out of his stupidity but also failed miserably. I used to purchase at least 20 grand each year on that *** store. Not anymore.

I recently purchased a laptop HP from Best Buy. It had a cracked screen and it did not turn on.

The store said i damaged the computer.

They have the scam all set up within management. They will not take your returns...Buyer Beware...Worst experience in retail ever

Best Buy is the worst store you can ever deal with..Sales and Service are two different animals.Buyer Beware..Never again.

View more comments (5)

Beware Best Buy Return Policy

I went in on 9-16-08 and spent over 500.00 on a washer. lookes at the Wii games while I was waiting. salesperson came out and made a big deal out of the fact that they just got a supply of Wiis still on the truck and they go fast.ok I bought one. 11-17-08 took wii to exchange decided my son is already hyper would get him a game he could play sitting still and buy my daughter an ipod. would not do exchange due to pass 30 day mark. sales manager would not help told to capp 1-888-best=buy. called that number told it is up to store managers discretion, will never shop there again.
rick

I was a retail store manager for 25 years and got caught in the same trap at Best Buy 7 years ago. I have never, and will never shop there again.

If I tried this *** at one of my stores the roof would have blown off. I hope they go down with the rest of the retailers that *** on their customers.

you're an ***. it's past the 30 return policy.

if you choose to not shop best buy, do it because the customer service sucks and the sales people don't know ***. don't be dumb and say your mistake is reasonable cause to discontinue usage of a service you've gone to before

View more comments (1)
Loss
After purchasing a Toshiba laptop a day less than the two week mark from the Hamburg, New York location, I returned to the same store I had purchased the item since I was having difficulties connecting to the internet. The internet was "connected" and...

Did they refuse to help you because you started yelling at them? I highly doubt a corporate manager would start swearing at you for no reason. Contain your emotion next time and maybe they will be willing to help

View more comments
Best Buy Manager

Best Buy Return Problems!!!

I recently purchased a computer at Best Buy for $2100 and realized that it was not working properly 3 days later. I brought the defective machine in, and a *** girl turned it on and barely looked at it before telling me it was fine and I was wrong. The manager then arrived and told us that we would not be given our money back without a 15% penalty, and that if we were not willing not accept his terms, he would have us escorted out of the store. His name was Martin Burkhead. He then walked away from us!
Loss

Best Buy tried to steal from us

My wife received 2 palm pilots for Christmas a couple years ago. The lesser of of the two came with a BestBuy.com gift receipt. My wife then tried to return it to the nearest store (60 miles away) and the clerk was very helpful until....... she said she had a problem. She called the manager over help. He explained the product was from BestBuy.com and could not be returned to the store. My wife was disappointed she made the trip but said she would mail it back to Bestbuy.com, but the manager of the Coralville store said he could not give her the item back because it had been run through the register as a return and he would be short the $100 if he didn't have the item to show for it. She said fine she would take the $100 instead, but he said he couldn't do that either because it wasn't from a, "brick and mortar" location. After a heated discussion, my wife left with nothing and relayed the story to me at home. I called the store the next morning and spoke to the store manager (who was the same person who dealt with my wife) and explained the problem. He said there was nothing he could do. After more discussion he said he would give a $100 gift card but he would have to fire the original gal who helped my wife and I would be responsible for that. I hung up and called the corporate office and was put on a 3 way conference call with the manger and verified the story. The corporate office told me to return to the store (120 miles round trip) and pick up my refund.

You said that it could not be returned, but you also said that it had been rung through as a return. Bestbuy.com purchases can be returned in store, it happens all the time.

Plus if the register accepted the return there would of been no problem. If it didn't the product would not be part of BB inventory so they would of given it right back to you.

Best Buy Manager

Dishonest and rude managers. Read the fine print Sucker! | Best Buy in Saint Louis, Missouri

I was in the market for the new computer was willing to spend $800 to $1600 for a decent computer. I found what appeared to be a great deal. I bought a computer for $900 and if the specifications were accurate then this computer was a great deal. I took it home and it stunk. Ran horribly and could handle programs that my 4 year old desktop can run smoothly. I took it back and The supervisor talked me into buying a model that cost about $300 more. I was assured that if this didn't work I could bring it back and get a FULL REFUND. Ofcourse when I tried the computer out is was almost as bad as the first on purchased. I brought it back and they said I could either spend another $600 on a model that would "surely" work. OR I could get a refund but I would be charged %15 fee. I told them I was gaurenteed a return with no fee if I was unhappy with this new computer. I must admit that the girl at the service desk was actually polite and respectful but she said firmly that she can not over ride the policy. At this point I asked to speak with a manager. I waited for almost 40 minutes before he came over and before I could explain myself he just chuckled and said borishly "sorry dude you should have read the fine print" and then turned away and chuckled again. I calmly explained to him I would not have sunk more money into another computer if I was going to be charged a fee. He wouldn't listen and Now i am down almost 200 bucks.

To tech adviser(I'm sure) and Kye

You draw your conclusions with out any fact. That makes you ignorant, unintelligent or more likely BOTH.

More specifically: the software was bought the same day. BRAND NEW! So are you trying to tell me something just released this summer is out to old? PLEASE! You are dismissed ( you can continue to fail at life. Carry on)

And did I remove the trials and junk? I guess you have already decided. Of course I did. Techadviser you are just as lame as Kye. I believe you should get your mommies permission before posting moronic comments on the internet.

If any one else has any doubt as to me complaint then by all means continue to shop at Bestbuy (worst buy more like it). Were service is nonexistent and quality is NONE.

First of all your 4 year old computer is running XP

right? Theres one reason your XP software won't work

on your VISTA computer. It's a diffrent OS so of course it's not

going to work. Know what your talking about if your going to

complain.

It would help a little if we knew the make and model of laptop you are speaking about, too.

I don't suppose anyone ever offered to remove the spyware/adware out of your computer and optimize it either, right? :x

Did you clean all the trials and ad junk off of your computer? If not, then it's probably running around 60-70 processes when it should be running 30-35.

That's your own fault for being an *** that doesn't know how to properly own a computer.

View more comments (3)
Review
#120585 Review #120585 is a subjective opinion of poster.