Green Bay, Wisconsin

Back in 2007 I had purchased an Acer Aspire 3680 laptop from Best Buy. The salesperson asked me if I wanted the laptop to be "tested" - I accepted.

After using the laptop for a while I noticed that the wireless Internet connection would drop sporadically. It wasn't that big of a deal for me at the time, so I lived with it.

As time went by, the problem persisted. I knew the laptop was defective, but the warranty had expired so there was nothing I could do about it. My cousin had recently purchased an Aspire 5532 laptop, and I was amazed with Windows 7. I decided to purchase that same machine and give my current laptop to my sister.

The salesperson was pushing me into buying a more expensive model, claiming that the AS5532 had a single-core processor and could only run one program at a time. I told him that my cousin has the same machine and it runs perfectly. He then pushed me into having the Geek Squad setup done. I told him that I have an IT degree and am comfortable setting up the computer myself. He started insulting me claiming that I wouldn't be able to set it up correctly. After I assured him that I could set it up myself, he settled down and allowed me to purchase the laptop.

I haven't had any problems with my new laptop, which confirms that my old one had a faulty wireless adapter. After reading the many Geek Squad horror stories online, I began to suspect that Geek Squad reloaded the OS and resold the laptop as new, then "tested" it to overcome the fact that the box had been opened.

If you are thinking of buying a new computer, stay away from Best Buy! They are crooks and will cause you nothing but trouble.

Comments

#205229

You sir, are correct. When they are offering to test the laptop for you, it is because 9 times out of 10, they are trying to sell you an already opened model.

By them "opening it up and testing it for you," you are getting charged full price for something that you should be getting at a 10% discount. The other 1 out of 10 times is because there have been known issues with that model of laptop and they don't want the hassle of you coming in the next day with a broken computer