Irvine, California
2.3K views

The sound on my notebook computer (PC) stopped working. I used the restore CD that came with the (PC). When I was finished and restarted the (PC) I saw a blue screen with the message " missing system 32 hal.dll.".

I took the computer (PC), restore CD and power cord to Best Buy (Geek Squad) on 8/28/09. The employee told me that they charge $69.99 to Diagnose the computer; the employee told me that the geek squad would call me when they were done. I received a voice mail message from the geek squad 4 days later on 8/31/09. I went to the store and talked to the employee about the (PC). I was told that the Hard Drive was bad. I asked the employee what needed to be done to get the (PC) working again. The employee said, "The Hard Drive in your computer needs to be replaced". I asked "How much will that cost?" I was told, $129.99 + $49.99 + $69.99 + price of a new hard drive. I was told hard drive price was around $50.00. (Copy of service order included with this letter) I told the employee NO THANK YOU and that I was not ready to spend that much on the (PC). I paid the $69.99 for the diagnostics and took my NOT WORKING (PC) home. I was OK with the $69.99 diagnostics charge at that time. That same night my next-door neighbor and I were talking about the (PC) problem I was having and he told me that his teenage son fixes his computer when it stops working properly. I asked my neighbor to have his teenage son look at my (PC) to see what he can do. I gave him the computer, restore CD and power cord. The (PC) DID NOT work properly anyway. Two (2) hours later that teenager came to my door with my WORKING computer. I asked the teenager how he fixed it and he told me that he formatted the hard drive 2 times in a row. He also told me that he had to do the same thing to his friends (PC) he fixed a few weeks before. He formatted the (PC) then turned it off rite away, restarted the (PC) reformatted again then installed the operating system. I spent 20 minutes checking out the (PC) then I paid him the $50.00 he wanted for fixing it and Thank him over & over again.

I took the WORKING (PC) back to the geek squad and talked to an employee named; Francisco Tapia. I asked to talk to the manager (Andy or Mahmud) and Francisco Tapia said "He is not here and will not be in until much later, can I help you?" I explained the whole story and asked for the $69.99 to be credited back to my credit card for the FAULSE diagnoses. Francisco Tapia told me that the geek squad was NOT going to give me a refund because the hard drive was bad and the diagnoses found bad sectors in it. I opened & turned on the notebook and showed Francisco Tapia that the notebook was working fine. Francisco Tapia said "We could have made the (PC) work by reinstalling the operating system too but it would have cost you more then the $69.99 we charged you. All I was told when I picked it up was that my Hard Drive was bad and needed to be replaced.

I understand what happened here, Best Buy (Geek Squad) wanted to sell a new hard drive to me and make money off me for the Installation Fee, New Hard Drive Fee, Operating System Installation Fee and the HW Install Fee whatever that is.

I honestly wonder how many people this company has RIPPED OFF?

I am writing this letter to you on the notebook computer that the Geek Squad said needed a new hard drive to work and were going to charge me about $300.00 for.

The wireless Internet, the speakers, the DVD player and everything else works now.

Comments

You people really need to learn what you're talking about before you go off on a rant. For one, just because you can reinstall your operating system on a computer doesn't mean the HDD is bad.

So when a little down the road it *** the bed, I don't want you to come crawling back to us because you screwed up. Two, its like going to a plumber, are they cheap? No, its because you pay for the knowledge not for the time it takes.

If you don't like it don't pay it, it's as simple as that. You pay because you have no idea how to do it yourself.

yep... geek squad had my computer for 2 weeks, said i had to pay for a new hard drive & labor, yeaaah,no. I took it to a local shop here in MI "CyberRev", picked up my computer, called me back in 2 hours, done...60$

We took our computer to the Best Buy in Opelika, Alabama for the Geek Squad to clean up any viruses we may have and to install new virus software. They have had our computer for approximately 4 weeks, now. We just received a call...you guessed it they said we had a failed hard drive.

The GeekSquad would not fix the computer and wanting you to get a new harddrive due to bad sectors. Bad sectors means that the system can be restored and continue to work for awhile, but one day, it will stop working and your files will most likely be unrecoverable.

So they could have fixed it, but it could have completely failed just weeks later. If that would have happened, you would had come into the store and wanted data recovered free stating that they broke it. By your ignorance on the matter of computers, your expecting a company to attempt losing money and potentially make you more angry than you already are. And for the diagnostic, it was completed and completed correctly.

You dont eat half your plate at a restaurant and ask for a refund because the portion you ate, wasnt good enough or was undercooked. GeekSquad and other companies might go further into detail with you about the problem so that you understand. But, to explain something like this to someone with little computer knowledge, will cause you to still believe that they are ripoffs when a boy can fix it. Computers are easy, play with it and you'll get it.

The key is to understand a product or service prior to completeing that service. You dont get a shot without knowing the risks and benefits. Americans are too hyped up about themselves and not thinking about the rest of the world that are laying beneath their feet.

Maybe someday this world will be able to realize its ignorance and rise from the dirt ground that we seem to think is made of gold. Think...

You have your fees messed up - per their advertised prices:

$129 would be the OS service (install windows, drivers, updates, and optimize)

$49 to install the drive

$69 for diag

Is Geek Squad expensive? Sure. And if you don't like the prices, enjoy the fruits of capitalism by taking your PC somewhere else.

I work at a best buy and I have to agree the Geek squad is fauls advertizing. they do not take the time to fully train their agents before throwing computers at them.

And with all the hullabulo you see them in the prices a far to high.

what they do offer is amazing but the price is so unafordabul for most people.

when dealing with Geek squad your best bet is to ask for a feild agent to come to your home. He/She will be the most traind and in your home they are one on one and more likly to find teh realy problems not just what it appeirs to be.

I just took a laptop that i bought in Feb. back to the store for a cracked screen. I bought "what I was told when I purchased the laptop" was a warranty that would cover accidental damage by the sales person.

When I took it to the store last night, I was told that is not the case and they would gladley upgrade me for $100.00 more.

How pissed was I? Try almost ready to drive my car through the store. (I have anger issues). I want to know what my $119.00 i dished out when I bought it ACTUALLY covers? Best Buy is a joke.

And *** me, bought the laptop, netbook, and a flat screen with them. Oh, and all with the extended waranty.

God help me,

FYI,

The repair that your neighbors son did is only a temporary fix. Bad Sectors on a hard drive is degenerative.

The Bad Sectors on the hard drive can be isolated and worked around by formatting the drive (With the correct options selected) but new Bad Sectors will continue to appear and eventually the drive will be unusable.

That being said, the prices they were quoting you are ridiculous.

#71962

I recently quit working at Best Buy. We have meetings at least twice a month where the management tells us to "Upsell, upsell, upsell" Sell services, sell accessories, sell, sell sell.

The prices for geeksquad are extreme. Most of them are not trained and are relying on more seasoned people to help them. I was never fully trained- they withdrew training dollars in favor of storewide 3 hour meetings that accomplish nothing. I was supposed to help people with car electronics, video games and the like, which I knew nothing about, but had to "fake it".

I had a phone call from a customer who needed assistance on a $1000 tv he had just purchased, and I told my manager that he wanted a call back or he would return it, and she said *Fine.

Let him return it." This was Mariah John at the Grandville Store in Michigan. Once they sell the stuff, they don't care about the customer.

Kelly

$120 to diagnose and reinstall is OK if they actually spend some time diagnosing the problem testing hardware, etc. 129.99 to install a new hard drive is excessive. Changing a hard drive is easy as changing your underwear.

Written by Anderson, on 07-09-2009 03:07

Out of curiosity what was the $129.99 + $49.99 + $69.99 itemized for?

-------------------------------------

$129.99= Time & Labor to install New Hard Drive.(Three screws, Three Minuts).

$49.99= Reinstall Operating System.

$69.99= Diagnoses of computer.

Plus the cost of the Hard Drive.

I understand the overhead, Advertising, fleet, insurance and the green employees.

When you pay Professinal prices you shoud get a professionals work!!

I did not want or expect free service, just honest answer for a honest question.

Kelly

Out of curiosity what was the $129.99 + $49.99 + $69.99 itemized for?

Geek Squad has massive overhead: Advertising, their fleet of cars, employee health insurance, "rent" of store space, training program for their employees. Often Geek Squad's repair techs are fresh out of school, with not much hands-on experience.

Fixing computers is about 80% experience and 20% courses (only takes about 6 months to take the course). If you do a little searching you'll usually find lots of freelance computer repair people in your area who work for MUCH cheaper.

Best Buy Reviews