2.2K views

The sound on my notebook computer (PC) stopped working. I used the restore CD that came with the (PC). When I was finished and restarted the (PC) I saw a blue screen with the message " missing system 32 hal.dll.".

I took the computer (PC), restore CD and power cord to Best Buy (Geek Squad) on 8/28/09. The employee told me that they charge $69.99 to Diagnose the computer; the employee told me that the geek squad would call me when they were done. I received a voice mail message from the geek squad 4 days later on 8/31/09. I went to the store and talked to the employee about the (PC). I was told that the Hard Drive was bad. I asked the employee what needed to be done to get the (PC) working again. The employee said, "The Hard Drive in your computer needs to be replaced". I asked "How much will that cost?" I was told, $129.99 + $49.99 + $69.99 + price of a new hard drive. I was told hard drive price was around $50.00. (Copy of service order included with this letter) I told the employee NO THANK YOU and that I was not ready to spend that much on the (PC). I paid the $69.99 for the diagnostics and took my NOT WORKING (PC) home. I was OK with the $69.99 diagnostics charge at that time. That same night my next-door neighbor and I were talking about the (PC) problem I was having and he told me that his teenage son fixes his computer when it stops working properly. I asked my neighbor to have his teenage son look at my (PC) to see what he can do. I gave him the computer, restore CD and power cord. The (PC) DID NOT work properly anyway. Two (2) hours later that teenager came to my door with my WORKING computer. I asked the teenager how he fixed it and he told me that he formatted the hard drive 2 times in a row. He also told me that he had to do the same thing to his friends (PC) he fixed a few weeks before. He formatted the (PC) then turned it off rite away, restarted the (PC) reformatted again then installed the operating system. I spent 20 minutes checking out the (PC) then I paid him the $50.00 he wanted for fixing it and Thank him over & over again.

I took the WORKING (PC) back to the geek squad and talked to an employee named; Francisco Tapia. I asked to talk to the manager (Andy or Mahmud) and Francisco Tapia said "He is not here and will not be in until much later, can I help you?" I explained the whole story and asked for the $69.99 to be credited back to my credit card for the FAULSE diagnoses. Francisco Tapia told me that the geek squad was NOT going to give me a refund because the hard drive was bad and the diagnoses found bad sectors in it. I opened & turned on the notebook and showed Francisco Tapia that the notebook was working fine. Francisco Tapia said "We could have made the (PC) work by reinstalling the operating system too but it would have cost you more then the $69.99 we charged you. All I was told when I picked it up was that my Hard Drive was bad and needed to be replaced.

I understand what happened here, Best Buy (Geek Squad) wanted to sell a new hard drive to me and make money off me for the Installation Fee, New Hard Drive Fee, Operating System Installation Fee and the HW Install Fee whatever that is.

I honestly wonder how many people this company has RIPPED OFF?

I am writing this letter to you on the notebook computer that the Geek Squad said needed a new hard drive to work and were going to charge me about $300.00 for.

The wireless Internet, the speakers, the DVD player and everything else works now.

Had an Experience with Best Buy?

Comments

Port Saint Lucie, Florida, United States #1201066

No it just shows how lucky you were.

Port Saint Lucie, Florida, United States #1201065

When a hard drive fails, it can be totally not working or it can have bad sectors and still work for now.Sounds like your hard drive was bad and they were telling you that.

But somehow you and a 15 year old know more than experienced IT people.

What do you do for a living?I bet it's not IT...

YOur running with luck having the computer run for whatever time it runs, i might never fail but that does not mean the HDD does not have bad sectors, dont trust it and keep a backup, one day it just wont start, the problem is spending all that money on labor, you actually ripped off the kid that fixed your computer, you think 50 dlls is ok for a repair thats wrong.

Fairfield, California, United States #735347

You are wrong.Your hard drive has bad sectors and should be replaced.

You can keep trying to re-install on it, and eventually you will get it to boot up. But as soon as you place a system-critical file on one of those bad sectors again it WILL crash again. Best Buy knows they can't "band-aid" your laptop because you will come back when it stops working and complain. So they offered you the full, correct, way to repair it and you refused.

L0s3r.

If I go into a mechanic with a non-working drive axle; the guy doesn't lube it and wrap tape around it and call it good because it technically works again. NO.

They would replace it with a good part so I don't come back in 2 weeks complaining.Same thing.

rbc1965
to payuploser Los Angeles, California, United States #735587

That PC worked for 3 years after best buy tried to rip me off!!!

That shows me how much of an *** you are payuploser!!!

Phoenix, Arizona, United States #695520

First off, I wouldn't trust GeekSquad to do anything with my computer.That said, that doesn't mean they are ALWAYS wrong.

Judging from what your teenage neighbor did, you did have, and still do have a failing hard drive. By reformatting twice, the currently bad sectors have been identified and marked as such. After reloading the OS you are now working again. You will, however, experience various levels of file corruption from time to time.

At some point, a critical boot file will become corrupted and you will have a non-working pc. Reformatting gets a pc running again, but barring backups you will lose all your personal data again.

I suggest replacing your hard drive NOW.Find a local repair shop that will do the job quickly and for a reasonable price.

hard drive fried on old PC, so i bought a new laptop from best buy.they do "free data transfers" but you need to buy a 150.00 external hard drive.

i got home andhalf my pictures were not there on the new laptop. i went back to the store and said WTF? they took the hard drives in the back room and said one does not work we need to send it out. it will cost 250.00 for a level 2 recovery.

i said fine. 3 months later they need 1000.00 more upfront, and another 850.00 when i get the data because it is a level 3 data recovery. i said no, just give me my hard drive back. and now they will not refund my 250.00 original payment.

i will never ever shop at best buy or the geeksquad again.

and i do not recomend them to anybody.ever.

Took a new, never opened item with receipt to the Best Buy I bought it from and they would not take it back.Past thirty days (not much past) no money back, no store credit, nothing.

Now I remember why I rarely buy anything from this place. And they scan your driver's license and scowl at you like you're a crook. Lesson learned for me.

Don't care if it looks like a deal online.I'll take my business elsewhere.

:cry

I was convinced to purchase the Geek Squad Black Tie protection plan for my new Samsung PC based on the fact that I was promised a free battery.This extended warranty was supposedly good for one year.

I received a renewal letter telling me my coverage would expire on May 6, 2012, so I took my PC in for the new battery on May 6, I was told it already expired and I should have read the terms and conditions of the warranty. When I called the Geek Squad's 800 number, the customer service rep told me the warranty was good through May 6th. Then she put me on hold, and when she came back, she told me the same thing the *** at the store told me; that it didn't expire on May 6, it was already expired on May 6.

Add this scam to the two times I contacted the Geek Squad regarding hardware issues and they were unable to help me with the problem, I will NEVER shop at Best Buy again.They push their extended warranties and then do not honor them.