Burnaby, British Columbia

Purchased a cell for my daughter at a Best Buy in Calgary, NW approximately 3 years ago. Decided the protection plan (via AGI) would be a good deal at $5.24 per month.

The first phone screen stopped working and was replaced. The next received water damage, which isn't covered, so we decided to just buy out and get a better, more functional phone from another retailer. With life going on, I never contacted anyone to cancel the plan until a year ago - wasn't really worried about the $100 or so. This is where the fun begins.

Best Buy store "couldn't help" advised I needed to contact the protection plan directly, so did that. Spoke to one of the rudest people I have encountered to-date. He, also advised that the store would have to help me. Now keep in mind all these calls are over a period of days/weeks ....

next call to the store, was advised again to call the Plan directly, so made another effort hoping that the rude guy was just an *** and I would have better luck - not so. Was advised I needed to go into the store physcially and have them call the protection plan themselves to cancel. I said, why does the store need to call you - this has nothing to do with them. Oh well, that is the rule...

Finally made it into the store, went to Customer Service who advised, they can't help me, I need to go to the Mobile Department - who SURPRISE, advised they can't help me. Now I have VISA on the phone opening an unauthorized purchase file... just for fun, decided to call back to Best Buy Customer service at the 1-866-Best-Buy number, where I spoke to a nice lady who advised the protection plan was a contract for 3 years - breaking news to me. So nearly $200 later, the plan ends this month and I have been advised it will NOT automatically renew.

So my advice to anyone looking to purchase a protection plan: Find out if you are locked in. Calculate how much over the contract you will end up paying. Decide if it will be worth it to not get the plan and use that wasted money on purchasing a new phone.

I mean, the plans can work, but buyer beware of the agreements attached to them. This has been a headache and a half for me - that is why this is an "I am Pissed" post!

Comments

It's really just a souped-up warranty, and you end up paying for a new phone over the duration of the contract. What a waste of money.

You have to be careful what the salesmen say.

I don't EVER buy warranties. I tell them - "with all the money I've saved over the past by NOT buying product warranties I can pay for any damage that might happen".

Well, this guy got me to buy the Product Replacement Plan because he said lots of things were covered except water damage and that they wouldn't repair it I'd get a new equivalent phone. Well my phone dropped on the corner and the screen cracked.

A guy in the back got out a magnifying glass and said it wasn't covered because it wasn't a defect in the phone. The salesman then tried to convince me to pay out the old phone and buy a new one, that repairing wasn't possible. I also wanted to cancel but they said I couldn't since the duration was 3 years.

I got the glass replaced elsewhere for $300 and I'm not going to Best Buy any more.

I want to just hang around the cell phone department and when the salesman try to sell it, I want to tell people my story.

Just had a similar experience. Was told that it was a binding contract and therefore i could do absolutely nothing about it.

I've had to replace my screen 3 times, I'm a klutz and won't leave the *** Otter Box on my phone, my fault.

I've since gotten insurance for my daughter's phone through Rogers, guess what, it's cheaper and covers everything including broken screens.

I agree with the comments. Similar experience happened to me.

My advice DO NOT PURCHASE A PHONE OR A WARRANTY FROM BEST BUY. THEY ARE CROOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also purchased an iPhone4 at Best Buy for my sister, at 65 Dundas Street West, Toronto, on May 20, 2011 by AMEX.

I was careless and NOT aware of that I was paying for the 1st payment of PEP 3yrs SKU#10151299.

While paying a new case for this new iphone4, I was NEVER informed on PEP 3 yrs plan and I never agreed to purchase this 3yr PEP plan, because the sale person looked at his monitor i.e. a cash register and told me to walk over to the end of the table, i.e. passing 3 other cash registers to sign my name for the purchase of iPhone case on an electrical pad for AMEX. The sale slip that I signed having the dollar amount that is equal to the case price tag, not noticed it's actually including 1st payment of PEP 3yrs and the iPhone case, because I was given a big discount on the iPhone case to cover the 1st payment of PEP 3 Yrs.

As I am also very careless with my AMEX monthly statement, at times I saw a transaction entry as AGI Best BUY MPSP 866-668-5998, I just wondered what I purchased again at Best Buy without further investigation. It only got to my attention until November 2012, and went to the store and learnt the AMEX auto payment will be cancelled in few months, i.e. May 2012.

Today, November 2013 I am still paying the monthly $14.68 without my agreement on purchasing this plan. Went to BestBuy store again last week to ask for the agreement that I may have signed, but BestBuy was unable to produce the signed contract to prove that I agreed on this contract.

What a joke! for a company like BEST BUY using this way to cheat/fool their customer!

I am going to re visit the store next week to see whether they are able to produce the signed contract.

It so obvious that I have never considered to purchase any insurance protection on a cell phone!!! ($529 for 3 years)

My Platinum AMEX has great coverage to protect all my purchases. As technology gets new advance products daily, in addition, my network provider Rogers has a new hardware replacement program every 2 years for a new cell phone. Why would I spend over $500 to buy this useless protection!!!

I ALSO PURCHASED A CELL PHONE FOR MY DAUGHTER, WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THIS PLAN WAS A GREAT DEAL... $14.55 MONTH/ THE PHONE WAS STOLEN THIS PAST SUMMER AND I'M STILL PAYING $14.55 AND BEST BUY WON'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT! NOT IMPRESSED!!

Best Buy Reviews