1800 Plaza Dr, West Covina, CA 91790

Went to return a defective motherboard my daughter purchased. I told them I was a computer tech and had worked for over 15 years on computers.

I had inspected the motherboard and it showed no damage. The return desked open the box and said sorry we can't take this back as it's been open. I was confused. Why would I return a item that was not open.

I was told that it is there policy not to except returns on open computer items and that it may be defective or have a virus. Again I was surprised. I told the return desk so you sell a item, I open it and if it's bad it's my problem. The desk rep said yes.

I said so if I get a TV and open the box that if it's bad it's by problem and he said that's different. I was confused. A manager was called and said the same thing but did say I could contact the maker of the motherboard and get it covered under warranty. I stated Fry's lets you return or exchange items and both reps said yes that's true but we don't.

So let me get this right. They can have a defective product that I purchase and it's my fault because I open it and now I'm out of money, I have to spend time returning it to the maker to get it exchanged, I have to spend money shipping it to the maker of the motherboard.

I've never had any company have a policy like this. Best Buy you purchased the product, you should have taken it back and replaced it and it should be you who does the leg work to return it not the customer.

Product or Service Mentioned: Best Buy Manager.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Comments