Best Buy is stealing from trusting customers!

What you should know when you let Best Buy "get the pc ready for you" With E-Machine or Gateway, There is not anything to get ready for you. They are ready to buy, take home and set up. They already come with a trial version of virus protection. They are also charging you for 2 virus programs, that do not get along with each other. Consumers are being told that Best Buy has to get it ready, and they are lying. They are charging up to as much as 200.00 for this service. Whats worse, they are charging you 50.00 to make a back up copy of the operating system. All you have to do is look in the start menu and create your own with the touch of a button. Best Buy is laughing at you all the way out the door "what a sucker" is exactly what they are saying. Trust me, I hear this over and over.

For questions on computers try Kim Comando.com. Since not everyone is computer savvy, it's nice to be able to get answers somewhere that doesn't call you names like the people above.

Try it, it might be a good starting point to try. :zzz :zzz

#20261

since when does selling and MAKING A PROFIT is illegal in the US?

wait, isn't that the foundation of our economic system?

First off:

Geek Squad services are more than ANYTHING convenience. *NEWS FLASH* deep *** not everyone can install antivirus, and doing restore CD's if anything is more annoying than anything. I know how to do the installs and all but did I want to sit 5 hours to do it all? no thanks here's the sofware I want put it in. (them charging me would only make sense)

Second: When did trials of software fully did something for you? wait, here it's the HINT WORD "TRIAL".

You go buy internet protection packages (70ish bucks) and maybe a good antispyware (30 bucks) you're already at 100 bucks..... wait, that's also best buy's fault.

The problem is that you all expect free *** free installs, free software, all free free free and oh man don't even get me started with "CANIGETADEAL??"

I only laugh harder when your 2000 dollar computer fails after 2 years because you fail to get a 200 dollars extended warranty.....but wait, you not getting it it's ALSO best buy's fault.

M O R O N all over

BestBuyChik get real. Half the *** BestBuy is "supposedly" customizing can be done yourself and for less money then what your Geek Squad is charging you for.

Oh and yes you are talking to someone who knows their ***. ^.^ Trend Micro can be purchased if the consumer so wants it for way less then having Geek Squad personally put it on my computer. As for them speeding it up the first commenter said it best. There is only so much you can do to speed up the memory hogging Vista and that includes adding new memory to your computer.

So, does all of that justify Best Buy charging people obscene amounts of money for little to no service at all? Nah I don't think so.

So do more research and stop sucking BestBuy ***. Now that makes YOU an ***!!

So, explain what "they customize it making it faster and easier to use"

actually means.. Honestly there is not much you can realy do to make Vista "faster" except add more memory.

You can *** SOME of the trials, but you can not realy *** enough to make it faster.

No comment on the back up cd that you charge them for? That just is not right.

The least best buy could do is make it known to the customer that they have the option of making that cd for nothing, except the cost of the cd. :)

Actually, the software that is sold was actually written to be compatable with eachother. And the trial that comes on your computer doesn't scan for viruses like the trend micro does.

So they are actually giving you a better deal. As for gateway & e-machine being ready to use when you get them home, that is true for all computers, but they customize it making it faster and easier to use!

I recommend that you not talk out your *** about things you obviously know nothing about! That makes you an ***!!

View more comments (4)
Review

Steve Azerela Brookfield Rude manager | Best Buy review from Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Went to Best Buy store in brookfield to ask for repair on a DVD player I bought expensive service plan for. I am being told to wait a minimum of 3 weeks to get it back. I asked to talk to the manager and get explanation of why I paid so much money for a plan and have to live 3 weeks without something I use every day. He is telling me to read the contract. I hand him over the contract and ask politely to show me the section in there that says that I am not to expect any commitment for a repair. His answer - figure it out yourself or ask your manager to. I am asking for his name so I can file a complaint with BBB, he is telling me he is not going to give it to me and I should just go and if I am not happy, maybe buy a new DVD player instead what a commitment, what a manager focused on the welfare of his customers and that service plan, what a ripe off.
werte

A store should sell a good product. Have you seen all of the complaints about Best Buys.

WoW. And they say the same thing over and over again. It's not the customer.

Poor products from Japan. Gezz even Walmart took back 100% of my returns and guess what I still shopped there.

I guess I don't understand why you are upset. Maybe it's because your expectations for a fair resoltuion to your problem are unreasonable.

Best Buy, or any retailer who sells an extended warranty for that matter, are only expected, under the terms of the warranty, to repair the product. If you had purchased that DVD player at American, they would have sent it out of town for repair. I know because I used to work there. Maybe it wouldn't take three weeks but it would take at least two weeks.

Your service plan is doing exactly what it was sold to you to do. Provide service repair coverage beyond the period of the manufacturer's warranty.

So I don't understand why you feel you have been poorly served. Cetrtainly you were'nt expecting a loaner DVD player or financial compensation for your time without it, because NOBODY does that.

View more comments (1)

Best Buy ( ya, right ! )

I will not be shopping at Best Buy any longer.They do not offer cash refunds. I ended up going to that store 3 days in a row with problem with a PC game I bought, it wouldn't play in my PC, I returned it, but they said only store credit.I found another game, brought it home, it wouldn't play ( my computer's only 3 yrs. old & plays other games completely fine ).On the 3rd day I tried to find something else, but couldn't find anything I wanted.No cash refunds & you have to use the store credit right then & there.

have you ever heard of CD-KEY????? I know you do, well it is a copy right protected game so you can't copy it and share it on internet.

Those CD-KEY are one of a kind so you cant copy it, there's always going to be a person that does this like 1 every 5 people (which is stealing the CD-KEY). You're lucky if you actually get store credit

#20240

oh man this one was a good laugh...

so you bought a game and your PC can't play and....that's their fault??? LOL

You were ACTUALLY lucky they gave you STORE CREDIT so you can exchange it....... NO best buy i've seen has done that.

don't buy a 400 dollar laptop and expect it to play call of duty!

and BTW the return policy on best buy software has been the same for any store

Buy a new computer yours is garbage if it cant run todays games

It's not best buy's policy. Due to copy right laws they can not return any software that is opened.

That is every single store that sells software!

They were nice enough to actually give you store credit. Be glad for that, they don't usually do that.

View more comments (3)
Review
I had a dishwasher installed by Best Buy in May of 2007. The first flood to my kitchen occured in June - - fortunately I came home fairly early in the leak and was able to shut the water off. The same service man came out and "fixed" the problem the next day....
werte

I feel so sorry for her. My friend has been trying to get the fridge fixed from them.

They don't return phone calls. I didn't realize till I had a problem with them how many people had soooo many problems with their products. I bought a video camera... I will never do it again.

Just remember we get what we pay for.... cheap stuff from China

Best Buy Installation

Best Buy Sham

I took my home PC to best Buy for repair (because I bought it there along with thousands of dollars in other purchases). The computer would power up but nothing showed up on the screen. I was working two full time jobs and did 60 college credits in one year soooo was kindaaa busy. They finally told me to come pick it up or they'd junk it. I paid the repair/eveluation bill but declined a few other "suggestions" just like when you get your oil changed. I got it home, plugged it in.. Nothing. It was EXACTLY like it was prior to taking it in. Best Buy said "its been too long, repairs can't be warrantied that long," even though it had only left their store that DAY. They refused to do anything without an additional repair/evaluation fee of about 70 bucks. I told them to take a leap. I went to Electronic City fully prepared to buy another computer and while shopping for one, their repair folks came and got me telling me it was a loose video card and it works fine. They charged me zip.. zero.. nada...Its still working fine to this day. If I ever but something puter-ish again, it won't be at Best Buy. I spent thousands there... big screens.. surround sounds .. digital cameras.. PDAs.. yada yada.. hope they enjoyed the 70 bucks, it'll be the LAST DIME they ever get from me. BTW, I called their store manager, corporate on and on. I basically got told to *** off (but they were tossing my salad nicely while they did it). Need more info? e-mail "flapsdwn@aol.com" I hope I'm not being overly vague on how I feel about them.
Review
#119000 Review #119000 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Best Buy Manager

Best buy not best price as advertised

Local Best Buy would not price match Sears on Appliances I tried to purchase LG Steam Dryer from Best Buy in Mt. Laurel NJ,. I was treated rudely whenI asked to Match Advertised price at Sears for same unit delivered and installed..Customer service would not give me to store manager instead I was told to call 888-bestbuy. I was told at that number that pricing was at the discretion of Store Manager. In short I believe that the local store was actively trying to avoid the issue by not letting me speak to store manager. I believe that the chain should adhere to their advertisement claims.

bestbuy generally doesn't match package prices and or service promotions, which this sounds like and is stated in the price match policy if you ever looked at it.

Wow, they wouldn't match SEARS? And I thought it was just Tiger Direct, and all the small stores in Chinatown they wouldn't match.

Typically, the only reason a Best Buy store would not honor a competitor's price (on the same make and model), would be market location or availability.

Your rant topic is a bit deceptive. :roll

View more comments (2)
Review
#119047 Review #119047 is a subjective opinion of poster.

PISSED OFF | Best Buy review from Franklin, Louisiana

I bought a new pioneer car stereo in the San Angelo Texas store. Not only does it not work but the store & installers have been no help. The manager of the store , installers cant even set the clock. What happen to standing behind what you sell? I spent 1800.00 to buy & have installed. Ive been in this store where peaple are standing in line pissed. The manager shys away from any problems. i will never buy from worst buy again. I will go local where they stand behind what they sell. bigger aint better. pissed in San Angelo Texas.

I totally understand your frustration. I recently had an alarm installed in my car by Best Buy.

Yeah it turned out to be a joke. I spent the extra money to have my trunk pop from the key chain which no longer works. I pulled my e-brake and the cover came off (from when they tore my car apart to install it), they left a roll of electrical tape under my hood to melt on my engine. Very careless installers .

What's sad is the deck I want is from there, I will probably buy it and have some where else install it. :(

Review
#119707 Review #119707 is a subjective opinion of poster.

Screwed by Geeks! | Best Buy review from Cumming, Georgia

My computer stopped working. I spent over $300.00 at Best Buys and still my computer would not connect to internet. The Geek who serviced my computer withheld very basic information that could have saved me a lot of money.(things I could have done myself like INSTALL my OWN CD) They wanted me to return for a NIC card (which I did not need) which would have cost another $100.+ with the installation. I chose to go to a private business and it was repaired that afternoon. I will NEVER give Best Buy any more money. The GEEKS suck!!!!!
Review
#120309 Review #120309 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Best Buy Installation

Irrational restocking fee | Best Buy review from Chicago, Illinois

I was charged a restocking fee for returning a camera to Best Buy even though I had purchased a more expensive camera a few days after I had purchased the first camera. I did not have the first camera with me at the time of the more expensive camera purchase. I had all receipts to prove the events but no one cared. I also wrote the company a detailed email explaining my dissappointment with this type of policy. No response has ever been received. My last purchase (a $1600 laptop computer) was from another source because of $15 of not caring.

yea you'd think that, but when i bought a brand new laptop from best buy and went back there to purchase a more expensive one that happened to be on sale, they charged me a *** 15% restocking fee even after i told them i just wanted to buy a better one and make them more money. The people were extremely rude, and the worker who sold me the first laptop even told me there wouldnt be a restocking fee and that they had recently done away with it for laptops but the manager didnt seem to care.

#20689

If you had purchased a new camera at the time you brought back the old one you would not have paid a restocking fee....

#20244

or read the back of the receipt, that helps too

if you intended on getting a more expensive one and returning the other simply do both transactions at the same time, a manager is mroe likely to waive the fee if they dont already have your money for the new camera.

View more comments (3)
Loss

Best Buy....What a Joke...Never Again!

Just wanted to share my experience at Best Buy, Bay Parkway, Brooklyn, NY. I recently purchased an all in one printer, (brand name not important), from Best Buy. When I attempted to set up the printer, I received an error message indicating that the printer didn't recognize the ink cartridges. I noticed that the black cartridge was leaking, and that it was probably damaged in shipping. Logic dictated that replacing the damaged cartridge would probably solve the problem. I called "Customer Service" at Best Buy, and was advised to bring the unit back to the store. When I arrived at the store, there was a line of approximately twenty people...also waiting to return/exchange products. It took me approximately one hour to present my printer. After approximately another ten minutes.....I was handed a refund receipt. The "service" person didn't even ask if I wanted an exchange.....but assumed I wanted the refund. (Did I mention, that there were approximately fifty people behind me in that line? What did Best Buy do, charge them rent?) My wife wanted to buy another unit...guess what...the checkout line wait was also approx 20 minutes. Needless to say, I didn't wait....to buy another "bargain". I figured, the time I wasted travelling to Best Buy and waiting on their "Customer Service" line...negated any savings on the printer they sold me. A word of advice to the buyer.....if you seek expedient "customer service", Best Buy, Bay Parkway, Brooklyn, NY is not the place to shop.
#19861

Yeah, Best Buy is the worst. Just go stand next to the CS line next time you are there and you will see what I mean.