Best Buy - Worst Buy!!

After 3 months of research we found the stainless steel fridge we liked. Purchased it at full price for Best Buy. A day before the scheduled delivery they called and said they didn't have the fridge anymore except for the floor model. I didn't want the floor model. I called other stores and found it new in another city. They said they would ship that one to me, NIB. After 2 weeks they delivered the fridge. The delivery guy scratched the door while putting in the handle. He reported it and did I. The manager called me to tell me that the fridge had been discontinued. Offered to give me another fridge for the same price ($2600). We picked another fridge similar to the original. The same delivery guy came to do the switch and scratched the 2nd fridge. Scratched the 1st fridge even more while taking it out. I called to complaint while he was still there. I told them I didn't want the fridge since, this one too, was scratched. I want a scratch free fridge. The manager called me back to tell me that since I had already received two fridges that I was no happy with they couldn't let me get a 3rd one! They wouldn't let me get a 3rd fridge because they now had two scratched fridges! Mind you, the same delivery guy scratched both! I got my money back (after a big hassle, too). Went to Lowe's and got the original fridge I wanted, which Best Buy said was discontinued. Lowe's delivered the fridge scratch free and with no hassle. I will NEVER, EVER buy anything from Best Buy!
#20683

I am an employe at best buy... When we mean discontinue it means we no longer cary that product my stores says "It was deleted from our data base" but you should have called corparte becuase they would have gotte you a fridege and probaly a 200 dollar gift card.... or more

Mariposa24; I don't know when or where you purchased this refrigerator, but you were not treated correctly. Unfortunately, in this case, Best Buy is it's own worst enemy; due to the use of third-party delivery servicers.

However, this is changing quickly, as drivers are being held accountable for thier delivery issues. At my store, you would have been refunded $260 dollars and a new door ordered to replace the damaged one...or, a seperate delivery team would have replaced it with a more expensive model, suitable to your needs.

As for Christy; the 15% restocking fee does not apply to refrigerators, unless they are special orders.

Also, the return/exchange policy is posted at the registers, as well as on a sign 12' tall at the front of the store. :x

Best Buy sucks. They also still have the antiquated 15% restocking fee for anything that you return at a lot of their stores (although, not all even though it is a "company policy")...whether it be a gift, broken an exchange, unopened with the receipt.

Doesn't matter.

If you buy a 1500.00 laptop, get to the parking lot, decide you don't want it and take it back in the store they charge you 225.00 to take the box and put it back on the freakin shelf. This policy is conveniently printed on the BACK of your receipt in practically invisible ink.

Best Buy Warranties = Worthless

In 2005, I purchased a Westinghouse 37" LCD TV for nearly 1700. I was well aware of the 'hard sell' on warranty programs but having small kids and bad luck with other appliances, I purchased the program for another 250. On January 4, 2008, I contacted the store where I purchased the TV from about getting it serviced as the picture would appear for a second or two and then give me a black screen. The store referred me to the 888-BEST-BUY number for in home repair due to the size. After waiting on hold for nearly 30 minutes, I was connected to a service rep who told me I would be hearing back from a repairman within two days. After not hearing from anyone for four days, I called back and was told the same thing again (standard customer complaint reply, I know). After pointing out to the rep on the phone I was already overdue for a call, the rep took my work number (they now had three numbers to get a hold of me, none of them being my home phone) and told me I shoudl expect a call by the end of the day. When I arrived home there was a message from the repairman. Even though Best Buy marks the serial number abd other identifying numbers for parts, repairs, or replacement on the warranty info, they did not provide the material to the repairman! I was told by the repairman I would be hearing back from him within a week or sooner if he found parts. After 8 days, I called the repairman who informed me that parts for this model were unavailable and that he informed Best Buy about repurchasing the unit. I promptly called Best Buy to verify this info. The customer rep said that 1) no repairman had called to verify the parts and 2) no one from Best Buy followed up to make sure the parts were ordered. I proceeded to file a complaint via Best Buy's website. Instead of the three business day response, I received an email the following week with the same standard customer reply--please call us to discuss the issue. I called back again that evening to speak to a manager at the service center. Again, no followup on Best Buy's end. While I waited, she contacted, or said she contacted, the repairman. I was told parts had been ordered and I would be receiving a call scheduling a repair time within the next two days. Again, I waited four days and contacted the repairman who said NO ONE FROM BEST BUY CONTACTED HIM and that HE CONTATCED THEM OVER A WEEK AGO ABOUT NOT FINDING PARTS!! Being irate, I called Best Buy again. this time I was informed that my REPLACEMENT ORDER was approved the FIRST time I talked to a manager! When asked why I wasn't notified, considering they had FOUR numbers to try, they were speechless. I asked for an order number abd was told one would be given to me when they call to let me know I am authorized to exchange. Again, they were left speechless when I said they should have the number already (they didn't) and they should have notified myself or the repairman that an exchange was inevitable (again, they didn't). So three days AFTER I finally get a replacement approval, Best Buy calls with an exchange number and informs me that I get the depreciated value of the discontinued model of the TV and it MAY NOT cover the replacement cost. Long story short, it took nearly 4 weeks to get my TV replaced, which originally cost 1950 with the warranty, and I walked out with an Insignia for 700!!!! How is this a comparable exchange??? What about my headaches??? Never again will Best Buy see a red cent of mine!!!
#20251

you bought it in 2005

went bad in 2008

"technically" you were just out of luck, if it wouldn't have been for the extended warranty you bought you had NOONE and NOTHING to do about it.

you bought a warranty and you got a new TV

yet you still complain.

No i don't work for best buy but I understand common sense and comparable is comparable.

However, I do have to say this, you should have spoke to a manager because even though the resolution could be the same other things like contrasts etc etc etc could be different

To BestBuy28:

That isn't even a spec for spec match. And I notice you have no comment about the customer service.

Do you get bonuses for posting this *** once your supervisor sees it? I know they talked about starting that program.

If you read the service plan policy you get a replacement product replaced based upon spec to spec. That's what's wrong with people today, their to *** lazy to read.

Best buy seems to have a habit of ripping people off. Just as they did to you.

I am very suprised you got anything at all from them. I am sure the amount you paid for the warranty in no way adds up to the amount you spent. I do not know why the attorney general does not pick up on this.

maybe we are not complaining to the right people. I still wonder how they sleep at night, and geek squad is no better.

View more comments (3)

Front door secuity at Best Buy

I was comming home from work on April 23, 2008 around 6:30pm. I needed canned air and themal paste to fix my computer that was damaged from UPS, so I decided to stop at the Best Buy at Metro Town B.C. Canada on Kingsley street. Unfortainly The Best Buy did not carry the thermal past I needed and I proceeded to leave the store. When I approched the door a tall man with glasses left his booth on the right side of the door and got real close to me almost touching me, had a smirk on his face and told me to have a nice day. When I proceeded out the door someone purposely set the anti-theft sensors off at the doors. I was confused at first and the guy told me to come back so I did. In front of other customers humulating me he demanded to empty my pockets with that smirk on his face, so I empty my pockets to show him even know that I was very up set that he would accuse me of stealing I even asked him if he wanted me to *** my shoes and if it was normal S.O.P. to profile and single out people and stop them at the door to be searched. He got quiet and let me go. See the thing is that I once worked for Best Buy in Florida for 4 years and not once I have never seen such disrespect for a customer before in my life and I blame that on poor management and employee training I realy hope someone in customer relations reads this and fixes that problem. For now on I think I will never step foot in a Canadian Best Buy store ever again.

I worked at Best Buy in Plattsburgh NY. Lets just say I would never buy anything from this joke of a store.

They scam their employees and they scam their customers. Best Buy is a joke. All managers have nothing more than High School educations. One in particular Mr.

Lussier. They had no right to search you at the door.

That is bogus. They are a complete joke!

First of all, I'm pretty sure the laws in Canada are different than in the US.

Secondly, I work at a Best Buy in Florida...and I am a bit surprised you haven't heard about this before.

Finally, being a former Best Buy employee, YOU - above anyone else - should know that posting on a consumer forum is NOT how to get in touch with the company if you want action on something. :(

View more comments (1)
Review

Misleading description on collectors music cd's | Best Buy review from Galeton, Pennsylvania

Recently bought 3 music collector cd's from Best Buy. They were produced by The Madacy Group in Canada. Supposedly they were to be original artists like The Platters, The Dell Vikings, Tom Jones etc. Well come to find out that they are in fact original artists...but they are the cheap, crummy knockoffs of the old original songs, using the original aging artists! Who wants to hear The Platters singing at 60 or 70 years old....they sound terrible. I wrote to Best Buy and The Madacy Group asking for a refund or a credit..so far no response from them. I recently read that just last month The Madacy Group had massive cancellations from Wal-Mart! Wal-Mart sells or sold the same *** imitation cd collections, but I guess complaints about the misleading advertising on the Madacy Group cd's forced Wal-Mart to cancel orders. Good for Wal-Mart...Best -Buy should follow suit. I am going to pursue this untill I get a refund or an in store credit. I hope folks will be careful when buying these fancy packaged music cd "Oldie Collections" from Best-Buy and other retailers. Watch out..the labels say "Original artists...New stereo recordings!" What the ***...it doesn't say you'll hear original songs sung by original aging artists! Some of these guys and gals must be in their 70's..trying to sing like when they were teenagers! Gimme a break!
Review
Thank you for using the Better Business Bureau's Online Complaint System.Your complaint has been assigned case # 57115121.Correspondence regarding this complaint will be emailed to : nagi4649@hotmail.comPlease print a copy of this for your records. Filed on :...
Everett

Shane Ryack - Look at the receipt and see if there is a sub-line under the model number that states "LP: 1234567890". You're looking for the LP (License Plate) number.

If the plate number is not on the receipt then it was rung up incorrectly. Try to find the "Shelf Display" sticker and return to the store with that. Explain the situation (calmly please, a little kindness goes a long way) and present the receipt and sticker. Ask for the promised price.

If the rep says "no" ask for the computer manager first (sub-managers are easier to pull away), if not available, ask for Store Manager, if not in, ask the the "M.O.D." Rinse and repeat. If no results, call 1-888-BEST BUY and explain. Rinse and repeat.

The original article seems misleading. The employee could very well be correct.

IF the customer did/did not specify the latest model Best Buy CARRIES. Not all Dell models are available through Best Buy. Our latest model could very well be somewhat old depending on when during the year you're shopping. Just before the new models come out, the oldest models (on display) would technically be the newest model available.

Not enough information here. This is hearsay.

The restocking fee is listed on the wall, on the receipt, the rep should have mentioned it and there's supposed to be a yellow sticker taped over the seal that reads "14-day return policy, 15% restocking fee if returned". Best of luck, sorry they made a bad impression.

View more comments
Review
#111964 Review #111964 is a subjective opinion of poster.

TV Nightmare | Best Buy review from Denver, Colorado

I purchased a Mitsubishi - Diamond 65" 1080p DLP HD model WD-65833 in late December, along with a stand and full home theater installation. The unit was delivered and installed the week of January 7. On February 13, the TV stopped working completely (it will not power on). I called Best Buy service that day, and on Monday, February 18 the first service call was made to my home. The technician looked at the TV for 10 minutes, verified that it would not power on, and indicated I would hear from someone in the service department in 2/3 days regarding a follow up appointment to install the necessary parts. 4 days later I called to get an update and was told the parts were on back order and would arrive in mid-March. I asked if I could have the TV replaced and was initially told that because the TV was delivered 7 days past the 30 day window, they would not replace it. After talking to the store manager in Novi (Tim), he agreed to replace it, but after a couple of days trying to find a replacement indicated none were in stock and that he would keep trying. Last week, I was called by service and told the part was in early, and I set up another appointment (2nd day off work) and the technician arrived on Monday, March 3 to repair the TV, only after removing the back of the unit and the main board, said he had the wrong part and they would have to re-order the right one. I again talked to Tim that same day, and he indicated he had a line on a new 73" model and that if I'd pay the difference, he could replace my current TV with that. He promised to confirm this and get back to me in 20 minutes. That was around noon Monday, and as of today, Thursday, March 6, he has not returned that phone call even after daily calls and messages left to him. Also, this morning, after I called service to get any update, was told the right part was now on order and was expected April 1. I think any reasonable person would agree that this is very bad customer service. I've been almost a month without a working TV after having it for just over a month, and am looking at almost another month for the next service call and after the first 2 have no faith that it will get fixed then.

Same as all the above. Best Buy is NOT a Best Buy.

They will *** you around and around. BUY ELSE WHERE

#11923

Finally our nightmare has ended...at least we hope so......Returned the original tv to BestBuy.....received full credit....had a coupon for 10% off of another tv that we were going to purchase.....and brought the new tv home. I then mailed all the documentation to BestBuy corporate headquarters.....and did get a quick response....and a gift card for $200.

It is unfortunate that these things have to happen...It took me over 1 month to get some sort of resolve to the matter...and a LOT of documentation....but it is over now....and I felt obligated to inform everyone that it has been settled...I am still nervous about making any more purchases...from them....It is just too much aggravation to go thru... Have a good day...and good luck.

werte

ya a friend of mine has been trying to get the to fix a fridge for a year. My microwave caught fire. Your " best" bet is too avoid this store

I am having the same problems going on two weeks now....I have called Best Buy 7 times since March 18th. I purchased their PSP warrantee, never again.

Each call same story, we are researching. Finally get to the point of speaking to one of their Mgmt. group, who takes the serial # and tells me it will still be another 24 to 48 hours for them to get back to me with an authorization # to exchange the tv. Well the 48 hours is up right now, so I guess I will spend yet one more afternoon on the phone.

Oh and yes I have documented everything too. Well have a nice day anyhow....

Good Luck! I have been trying to get my Phillips television fixed since last September....still no luck.

They are supposed to fix it this friday, almost 6 monthes later....we will see. I would recommend to you document everything and get a lawyer that's my next step.

View more comments (4)
Service
Best Buy Installation

Returnedtvw/crackincabinettheywouldnotaceptit | Best Buy review from Minneapolis, Minnesota

manager acused us lying . she was twisting our words around . this happened on wed 5/21/08 at best buy in mankato minn. we bought the tv, a stereo, a computer, a printer in one weekend. the weekend of 4/19/08. we took delivery on 4/25. we think it got cracked either in storage & or delivery of the tv &everything else that came that day. my complaint is with the policies, managment, delivery, & the intimidation me & my fiance suffered at the hands of that conglomerate,best buy. i am truly pissed. we left the tv in the store so they can resell it to some other poor *** on the street!!!! thankyou.
Loss

I bought a new compaq laptop, discovered it is refurbished | Best Buy review from Stonewall, Mississippi

I purchased a new compaq laptop. Best Buy replaced it the next day because it had a bad hard drive. I paid 940.51 for the unit with extended warranty etc. The replacement has not worked since i brought it home. It was in a sealed box but Compaq has now informed me that it is at least a 6 year old refurbished unit. Needles to say Best Buy has offered no solution. I guess an attorney is my next stop along with an article in the local newspaper called the people speak and a call to the Better Business Bureau maybe that will get some attention.
#20250

i laughed for a little...

maybe you should stop smoking or drinking...

no store keeps electronics for..... past 3-6 months.... with todays technology you buy a car next day there's a better one

4ever E

I do want to correct the age thing, It was meant to say the hardeware and programs!!!!!!!!!!!! and the programs due to Best Buy putting optimization, anti-virus, and spyware to fix the user who had the computer before me that they were trying to fix whatever happened to it with.

Update, Compaq sent package to send in and repair (replace) what can't be fixed even by the GEEK SQUAD! or just send me a New computer that has not been sold messed up , refurb. or should I say optmizedand resold!

:( :( to Best Buy . :) :grin for Compaq for standing behind their product.

The longest a computer will be at any Best Buy is about 6 months. They return all the extras back to the manufacture. I just have to laugh because that's total BS.

Its not 6yrs old youre full of *** dude. Even if it was wouldnt its design look old then youre just plain retarded :roll

View more comments (4)
Service
Best Buy Replacement

Service Plan is a rip off | Best Buy review from Tyler, Texas

October 2006 I purchased a HP desk top computer with the in home service plan in Tyler Texas. Now the computer won't turn on so in early March I called 888 BestBuy. I was on hold for several hours and finally called back the next day. Customer service said that I was out of the area for local repair and would be serviced by some company that they contract with. Took my info and said someone would contact me in a few days. 13 days later I had not received a call from anyone so I started calling 888 bestbuy. Stayed on hold from 10:30 a.m. until 5:30 p.m. one day and finally hung up. Called back the next day and finally reached someone. He said someone from the contracted company will call me to set up a time for the repair. He also said that the parts that were ordered had not arrived. Finally a repairman contacted me and is supposed to repair my computer this week. We'll see, I'm not holding my breath. Through all of this, both my husband and I called the store repeatedly and got absolutely no where. They were rude and informed me that the contracted company got the money and would do the repair and that I have no recourse except going through them. Of course, they refused to provide me with the name or a telephone number for this company, saying that I have to go through 888 bestbuy. OR- I could take it to the store and they would send it off and of course charge me for the repair. This is the 4th computer that we purchased from Best Buy, in addition to two high dollar cameras and various other pieces of rather expensive office equipment. I will NEVER purchase anything from BestBuy and I strongly advise everyone to avoid any and all BestBuy stores.

why don't you go back to the store where you bought it? its obviously easier to deal with.... duh?

werte

That's true. They think that because they are big it doesn't matter if make a few customers angry.

All I have to say is Enron.!!!! :p

Wow I agree totally, I haven't shopped at Best Buy in three years because of a misrepsented service agreement. They have missed out on a lot, while one person doesn't hurt them I make sure that I tell everyone I know so hopefully more people are shopping the many other options that we all have besides kick me in the face and call me *** best buy

PRICE MATCH SCAM | Best Buy review from Breckenridge, Texas

I purchased a dishwasher the week of April 2,2008 for $599. It went on sale on April 7, 2008 for $549. I e-mailed and asked for price their price match and was told that I qualified for a $50 refund and was given an 800 number to call. I called this number and was told that I qualified but would have to call after the item showed delivered in their system that it would not process the refund until that time. I waited until I had an e-mail confirming delivery and called them back. At this time they informed me that the other cs reps were wrong and that I did not qualify for refund They did, however apologize for any inconvienience. I think I am done with best buy. This is terrible customer service!
#132004

they changed the price after you bought it you don't deserve any refund you *** as*

#20247

HEY I BOUGHT MY CAR FOR 20000

on sale now for 12000...

WHERE IS MY MONEYZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

:upset

Why is that that someone agrees to pay a price, and just because the price goes down later to move the last items off the shelf, you think you deserve a discount/partial refund. You agreed to pay $600- maybe you shoulda waited.

There is no law and should be no policy to give you that just because it was the price that came later- If I could do that, Id buy everything when it comes out and get a discount when they lower prices.

What a silly notion. You are a sad sad silly person....