Filter by rating :
filters

Get everything in writing | Best Buy review from Shrewsbury, Massachusetts

I bought 6,000 worth of tv/stereo at BB for surround sound. I told the manager at the time that I had speakers outside of the family room where the until would be installed. He said, "no extra charge". When the install/Geek Squad showed up, they said they would not install the additional speakers UNLESS I paid another $150. Whatever you do-with Best Buy-get everything in writting so you have proof when they make promises they never plan to do! Quite the rip off-never buy anything from them! They add and add without you knowing, my $300 install is now well over $500
Tom

Never make deals with managers. They never know what's going on.

If yo don't want to pay for premium install the stop your *** and do it yourself.

Loss
On 4-10-09, I purchased a Toshiba Celeron laptop. Within 4 months, it completely stopped working. We took it back to Best Buy, they refused to refund our money. Instead they replaced the hard drive. The same day I took it home, the computer made a clicking sound. Over...

don't waste money on their in house service. go thru the manufaturer if covered by their warranty. if not, pay to have it serviced by a business that is competant and stands by their work.

View more comments
Review
#161923 Review #161923 is a subjective opinion of poster.

Pre-order of game 4 months in advance | Best Buy review from Houston, Texas

how are you going to pre-order a game months in advance and it does not show up on the day it is to come out? When i could of just waited for the the day it came out and picked it up myself! This is unbelievable and the most *** thing ever, I could have just walked up to the store and picked it up on the day it came out but since i pre-ordered i have to wait a week for it to arrive, this is unacceptable!!! And this *** at the customer service desk, well you really can't get mad at them because they are mindless drones following procedure. *** ***.....

you guys should get a job and stop playing video games and move out of your mothers basement

File a BBB complaint against them. That's exactly what I did.

Review
I was very excited for the Prestige edition of the Playstation 3 game Modern Warfare 2. I was so excited in fact that I decided to purchase the prestige edition of the game from Best Buy for $164. I placed my order In September and was highly anticipating the release...
#200216

How do you expect BestBuy to check every single product that they have on their shelfs? There is no physical way they can make sure that every product they sell is completely functional from the manufacturer. As for the replacement, they are willing to give you a replacement computer NOT TO EXCEED what you originally paid.

View more comments
Review

Frontier Enterprises- Hackensack, NJ- Very Poor service company | Best Buy review from Bronx, New York

I bought a Big Scre Sony TV from Best Buy- Luckily I bought the service contract (or so I thought) The bulb blew out twice in less than 2 yrs. Best Buy outsources to Nusonic Radio. NuSonic Radio outsources to Frontier Enterprises a third party repair company- It took 1 month to get the bulb- I finally got a call to say they would be there between 1-3 on Thursday. The day before the manager called and said they would be there between 8-11 instead. I called Best Buy and complained. Frontier Enterprises finally said they would come in the afternoon. The guy finally came out to repair it- Brought with him the ballast and no bulb. Dummy! I offered to go get the bulb - so he could go to his next site and then return to my house. No way! After speaking with his manager he said he would be back at 11 AM the next day- He finally arrived at 3PM the next day. The repair man said Best Buy does not tell you that the bulbs for the big screen tv only last approximately 2 years. Heaven help Best Buy, NuSonic Radio and Frontier Enterprises if I need another bulb. Frontier Enterprises is not only an irresponsible company- but unresponsive as well. If I did not call them they would not call me. Try getting in touch with them- They do not answer.

Beware Best Buy Electronic Warranties

I pushed a Gateway laptop from Best Buy in 2007 and bought a extended warranty for 3 years. The laptop kept having charge problems and they replaced the mother board 6 times in before giving me a refurbished replacement laptop. I would always call the number of the bottom of my old laptop whenever there was a problem. When I got my replacement laptop and wanted to know when my warranty end there was no number on the bottom. So, I had to get the phone number directly from the Gateway website. I called them and they said they had no records of my original laptop. They only information they had was when I registered my replacement on their website. Once they found my warranty I spoke to a Supervisor to see why Gateway didn't have my records. He told me that this isn't the first time this had happened with BestBuy. Apparently, the number on my old laptop was for a company Best Buy owns to handle their warranties but its not the actual electronic manufacturer. They even introduced themselves as Gateway when I would call so I never thought otherwise. Once I got my replacement laptop it was shipped from the actual Gateway so there that was why there was no number to call on the bottom. So, never buy extended warranties from Best Buy. Only buy they directly from the actual company's website.

What I'm confused about is how you had the motherboard replaced 6 times. Per the Best Buy service plan, on the 4th qualified repair, Best Buy will replace the product with a comparable one, and it will not be a refurbished one.

I have also never known Best Buy to put a number on the bottom of the computer that you need to call. Was it for Geek Squad? Why did you not just bring it into a store whenever you had a problem with it? And when you called, they answered the phone as Gateway?

It seems to me that number on the bottom of the computer was for Gateway, and that's why they answered the phone as Gateway, as well as why they fixed it 6 times instead of only 4 before replacing it, and gave you a refurbished one instead of a new one. None of that sounds like anything that has to do with Best Buy.

No offense, but I think you bought the service plan on your computer, but did not actually ever use it. Sounds like everything you did was through Gateway, not Best Buy.

Tom

So, let me get this straight; you purchased a laptop at Best Buy in 2007 with a PSP, got service every time, and even got it replaced because of the warranty you were sold, and now you're telling people NOT to buy them because they did exactly what they promised? :x

Service
Best Buy Replacement

Best Buy does not honor pre-orders on video games

I recently pre-ordered the Collector's Edition of Dragon Age: Origins, a new computer game. The game was released on Nov. 3, 2009, and I made my pre-order on Oct. 23, 2009. I received a confirmation of my pre-order and was told the game would ship a day or two after it's release date. Since my pre-order, the price of the game fluctuated by $5, and it's "Availability" also changed between "pre-order" and "not available". I emailed Best Buy's customer service twice with questions regarding price changes and whether I will be getting my or not. I have received no replies. Since the game's release, Best Buy lists it as "Out of Stock" and is still not replying to my emails - I sent a third email on the game's release date asking whether they will be sending my game or not. I would advise other buyers of computer games to avoid Best Buy. Their customer service seems so poor as to be non-existent, while other online retailers (Amazon.ca for example) have the same games in stock and have no problems fulfilling pre-orders.

They just hosed me on marvel vs capcom 3 and a day earlier I tried to buy a 55 in tv that was being displayed online and instore and was told it was unavailable. Very unhappy with best buy

Everett

The game was delayed at the very last minute in our store, not sure about your location. I was upset too!

I wanted it badly! It was manufacturer's decision, not ours. We always honor pre-orders. In fact, all the midnight releases, the employees have a party in the store, play the game being released and invite customers to watch.

We make every effort to hand out what we are given. The cost of a pre-order is usually $5, return the receipt or the empty plastic pre-order case to have the $5 taken off the purchase price.

Review

Best buy warranty scam on sale items

3 years ago I purchased a Sirius radio (sportster 4) on sale for$121. The sales person was more than happy to explain how these radios are fragile and I should get an extended warranty. He then proceeded to explain that I can use this warranty for a brand new replacement even if I just didn't like the way it looked anymore.. or smashed it... any reason Best Buy will make it right and give me a new unit, the upgrade to this unit was going to come out in 2 months and he said the coolest thing is when the new one comes out if there isn't any of these in stock they will automatically give me the upgrade. Three years later and my unit is experiencing a power issue that is the fault of the power adapter for sure seeing the radio works on my boom box, but hey it's time to cash in my 4 year warranty and enjoy an upgrade that I was promised when I bought this item. I went to the store with all of the original items and pieces of this radio and explained the situation and showed them my receipt. they then walked me back to the car audio department and picked out the new upgrade sporter 5, only difference is a color screen. The retail price difference is $10 from the one I originally purchased. They began to ring me up for the exchange , the way they explained it I would have to pay the difference between the two which sounded fair to pay the $10 difference from the old one being 149.97 and the new one 159.97. No, here comes the horror story... they want me to pay the total sale price difference between the old one and the regular non sale price of the new one... almost $60. So I asked for the store manager, she then grabbed out the black tie book and underlined in it the line about price difference. So I was going to be penalized cause I bought this radio on a great sale price and because this specific week the radio I need to exchange for is not on sale I have to pay the whole difference, so Now I sit with a radio and have to watch the Best Buy ads for a great sale like I found when I originally purchased this. I was very calm and collected this and went to the original Best Buy I bought this from seeing they gave me a story about how returns hurts their stores numbers and maybe the store I bought it from will help me out more... HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE SO FAR from the 28th street location in Grand Rapids, MI.. went to the Walker, MI location and they sent me to the Geek Squad who explained the exact same thing to me and wanted me to pay the total sale to non sale difference.. and this guy thought he'd give me an analogy.. well if you buy a car and drive it you can't expect for you to get an exact new one without paying fees.. and I gave him one of mine.. so you're saying if I buy a washer and dryer set and they go out during the warranty period if I bought them on sale I'd have to get the model down from the one I researched and carefully purchased or have to pay a difference just because the new model is out? Basically told me there is nothing he can do this is policy.... Well, I plan to tell as many people about this.. I will also be making copies of my receipt and a copy of the best buy terms in their warranty booklet and I will not be standing in line this year for the Black Friday Sale I hope many of you will print this out and bring it to the store with you and show this to the sales rep when they try to sell you the warranty.. unless you're paying regular price.. you'd be better off buying it from the manufacturer.

I was promised a free battery after one year with black tie protection. I went to collect on the battery and was told to call the AAA-BEST-BUY.

I Would just have to give my serial number Btb number to collect my free battery. I was asked if my barrery was defective. I said no. I was told my battery had to be defective and that they just do not give out free batteries.

Duh!

Then it would have been covered under black tie! I was totally scammed!

My wife and I had a Sony laptop with a 3 year accident warranty. We took it back several times to get it fixed and finally after about 2 1/2 years they just let us replace it.

So we went and picked out another Sony laptop for $799.99 but when we took it to the counter they said they were only going to be giving us 299.99 credit because that's what a laptop "comparable" to our old broken one would cost today. I was livid, the *** warranty was 299.99 alone when I bought it. Well needless to say that we rejected that offer and fought with the geek squad guys for about an hour before leaving. The next day we took our problem to the store manager and she apppoved the 799.99 credit in about 30 seconds.

I think that there is some kind if incintive plan or something in place that pushes the low level employees to avoid issuing refunds and returns.

We asked why he was so insistant that we only be given a 299.99 refund and she said that "that's our new policy but since yours was bought several years ago we can't be sure what policy was in place at the time". Even though we came out of this deal ok I deffinatley see the potential for huge losses and we will never buy a best buy warranty again.

Some people should not be allowed to buy electronics, or even use them.

This person qualifies for that rule.

Do you have problems with your Black Protection Plan?

I am an investigator with the law firm of David P. Meyer & Associates Co., LPA.

Our firm has been researching a potential class action case against Best Buy regarding alleged misrepresentations of their Black Tie Protection Plan. If you have been affected by this, and are willing to assist with our investigation, please contact me at 1-866-827-6537 or www.dmlaws.com and fill out a form so that our firm can evaluate your situation.

I think you should just shop at circuit city oh wait they are gone..... walfart is way worse they dont cover ***.sears is a joke so for you sir stick to ebay and I hope your house gets hit by a huge power surge and all of you electronics die on you!!!!!!!

You paid $121... You pay the difference... Simple math.

Why should you get a credit of more than you paid?

I can't stand *** people...

OP was willing to pay the difference between what he originally paid and the newer replacement. However, his point was that the comparable model to replace his defective one was on sale, and they wouldn't give him the sale price.

I don't think OP should be discriminated from taking advantage of a sale price because he utilized his warranty, which he had to buy to begin with.

And Best Buy makes a killing on these warranties - I'm sure they sell thousands of them and a claim is never made. That's FREE money to BB.

I purchased one of their warranties and I'm still within the timeframe to return it, which I think I will. Doesn't seem worth the trouble.

Always look at the fine print. you paid 121 dollars and you got your 121 back 3 years down the road, what is the problem? because i don't see it.

I happen to love Best Buy's black Tie, the geek squad can be a bit taxxing at times but the over all peace of mind i have is worth it.

My TV had a loose conection in hte HDMI port and they came to fix it. took about a week and all was well. when my son buped the TV a few mounths later causing the same problem only worse they came back and ran some test then approved me for an exchange. and yes i had to pay the diffrence when i picked out a new TV that was more expencive then the first one i had.

but what do you expect to do give you what ever you wanted for free because you broke something?

then what is to stop you from getting a 19" TV with the protection plan tossing some water on it and demanding a 55" replacment?

some times you have to be reasonabul.

It is unfortunate that your original salesman said what they did. it seams that person might not have liked their job.

the protection plan you paid for will cover many difrent types of malfunctions or damages so your products can get FIXED! if they can't fix it they will replace it with a comparibul product.

Or, like said by BTNO you can opt for a refund during your plan and get back the mony you paid.

you are not limited to getting the same make or model.

You are not understanding your plan. They offer you a store credit for your product, basically a 4 year plan gets you what you paid for the product in the form of store credit.

If you want to go with a new model you can and will pay a difference. Now a service plan after the 4th time a product is brought in the Service plan can be used towards a comparable product with similar features.

If it happens to be a color screen whatever you can get it. Second read your pamphlet I don't understand why you'd take somebody's word on something like a warranty knowing the fine print has exclusions exceptions whatever.Best of Luck.

View more comments (9)

Best Buy Bait and Switch Routine

Recently, I took my daughter shopping for a computer. We returned twice to the same Best Buy Store in Lafayette, LA. Each time the sales clerk tried to sell us a computer that had been "tweaked and cleaned" by the Geek Squad. The computer that Best Buy was trying to sell us was an open box special with and extra $120 tagged on to the price. What a ripoff. I left and ordered a computer directly from Dell. No more Best Buy for me. Please take note, that this bait and switch routine has been tried on me on several other occaisons, and I will not be returning to Best Buy.

You better read up on "Bait and Switch"...because you're all wet on this one.

Oh, and a GOOD thing about these OPTIMIZED laptops, is that if you return them, you can't be charged a restocking fee.

Dude you're gettin a Dell.........GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Your an ***, its an optimization!!!!

The geek squad offers many services one of wich is an Opptimization. basicaly cleans all the *** from your opperating systum that is no longer needed and bogs down your systum + some agent tweeks that are done to make every thing run smoother.

it's called a pre-work and normaly adds 40 dollers to the price because thats how much an opps costs.

yes the box is open because... well they have to take the computer out to do it. however it's only opend by Geek squand then reseald with Geek squad coads. And not all computers are sold that way.

in fact they only do about 15% of them.

sory you missed out, but there was no bait and switch they told you every thing. and im sure they told you it was optional as well.

You bought a Dell? Sorry to hear that. Hope you insured it.

View more comments (4)

Delay after Delay on warranty | Best Buy review from Mount Laurel, New Jersey

I purchased a television a year ago and opted for the extended warranty. Four weeks ago my television back light stopped working so I called the warranty company. They sent a local company to pick up my television for repairs. Mind you this television was not that expensive and figured on it being replaced. I was given the timeline of 7 to 10 business days for them to decide if they were going to replace it or repair it. I went 3 weeks without a television. On the 10th day I received a call at 4 p.m. stating my television was not repairable and was given a confirmation number. Now during this time while I waited for my television to be repaired or replaced, I went to Best Buy. During my visit I found a great deal on a television package but could not purchase it at the time because the status of my television was in limbo. I certainly missed, what I think was a great deal. When I received the news about the status I went to Best Buy and the deal was no longer. I was very upset because of the delay in which it took to give me the status of my T.V. missing the opportunity to purchase a package deal. So, I sent an email to Best Buy expressing my disappointment. I was given a confirmation that I would be called in 3 business days. No call. I had to call Best Buy and file my complaint. I waited on the phone for one hour and fifteen minutes for them to offer me $175. I made a counter offer of $250 which of course is roughly the cost of the sound system that came with the package. I was then sent over to a manager who said "No, we cannot retro offer a deal that is past" I explained because of the numerous delays caused by the warranty company I had no choice but to pass on the offer. I was told again "Sorry but that is our final offer" What was I suppose to do? I accepted grudgingly. I would like to point out the representative I spoke with was Royal or Royce or Roy. I acknowledged I did not raise my voice nor make insults or threats. Nor did I make any insults I was pleasant.
Tom

The Best Buy warranty replaces the TV; it does not make you whole on the purchase price, so that you can buy something else.

Many times, TVs with surround systems are purchased by the vendor - NOT Best Buy. Those terms are not something that can be played with, or else the retailer will lose money on the deal, rather than being reimbursed by the vendor.

So, the timing may have been bad, but it wouldn't have happened anyway.

it does suck that they took so long that you missed the sale.

to margie

nothing stated above said that Best buy would not repalce the TV.

if a replacment is isued the customer is basicaly given a store credit for the amount paid. Wonderboy is complaing that he didn't get his cad fast enough and missed a deal.

say he paid 1200 for the TV. he gets 1200 back to get a new TV. but two weeks before that there was a sale on a TV package with a theater systum and blue ray for 1200. he wants that. but it's no longer on sale. it sucks that the time frame was missed but look at it from all angels. and don't be so greedy wonderboy

An attorney would have forced them to replace the TV. I had this very same problem with Conns (hence, the name). I bought Prepaid Legal. My $1400 TV burned out after 1 1/2 yrs. I had an extended warranty that cost $300. Conns stalled for 4 months. I purchased PPL and had a new TV in two weeks.

Buy it - be covered