Best Buy doesn't honor online installation prices

I recently got a holiday gift that requires installation. I looked online and Best Buy was offering installation services for around $100. It looked so convenient - just add the installation to the cart, pay online, then go to the local store to get the work done. Except that when I called to confirm and get an appointment for installation, they informed me the charge would be around $300 - about 3 times the online price. When I complained, Best Buy's corporate office called to inform me they do not honor online pricing on installations. Each store is permitted to determine pricing on the spot, regardless of what prices and services Best Buy has advertised or even pre-sold online. Fair enough, but then isn't it illegal to advertise or sell installation services online? Thank goodness we learned of this policy before we ordered anything large or expensive from them! We declined to have the item installed at Best Buy and we'll never shop Best Buy again.

Discount services on things like a TV installation usually happen at the time of purchase of the product they are intended for; not as a stand alone item. Check the ad again, or provide us a link so we might discuss it further.

Best Buy Installation

Best Buy warranty means nothing

Bought a Sony 60" projection TV from Best Buy April 2004. With warranty and extras it came to $6800. TV is out for the 5Th time. TV will not last a yr without going out. Was told from their repair people, these TV'S were defected and after the 3rd time, we would get another TV. Best Buy, Sony or the warranty dept. could care less. Our warranty is out this April, so you know what Best Buy is doing. They do not CARE about customer service. I do not recommend anyone buying from BEST BUY. Their warranty means nothing.

I have a 50" HP TV that i got at best Buys. Over the last ten years i have spent alot of money there, but never again.

The TV has been out for 55 days. Three trips with three different parts to fix it didn't do the trick so the service company took nthe TV and sent a part to be rebuild and was to take two days. This was 3 wk and 2 days counting. The warranty department lost the part and the TV can't be replaced without the part being in the TV.

for best buys to replace the set it has to be in tact. Now the part has been found and is not fixed but they are sending it to the service center were the TV is so they can but it back together and return it to me so i can take the Tv TO BEST bUYS to exchange it for another TV The thing is i live 42 miles away from Best Buys and the service center is in the same town down the street from Best Buys. Makes no sence. But i have a feeling it well never get exchanged for i have been told so many lies by every one in every department This is the fourth time they said it would be exchanged so i don't belive it.

I couldn't even start to write the whole story and every lie i've been told. DO NOT BUY ANY THING FROM THEM, IT WELL ONLY CAUSE YOU TIME , MONEY, AND MAKE YOU MAD!!!

"Going out" means a lot of things; can you be more specific? If you are talking about the bulbs, then I believe you might be part of a Sony class action group - you might want to check into it.

Best Buy's warranty only covers one bulb replacement, so if this is what your complaint is based upon, you're out of gas. :sigh

As much as I would LOVE to bash Best Buy, I have to call "bullshoot" on these people and their warrenty expectations. The warrenty from the manufactures covers "MANUFACTURERS DEFECT ONLY"- that is, stuff that was built wrong at the factory- it DOES NOT imply working forever!!

ALL electronics will fail eventually...they wear out! The fact that some retailers (Best Buy included) offer supplemental coverage at an additional charge on certain products (for things that aren't covered by the man. warrenty ie. heat, power surge, "wear and tear in normal use",etc..)is mind-boggleing to me- if you can guarantee that you will get X amount of years of use rather than "roll the dice" without it-who in their right mind would turn it down.

In my CC days, we had some issues with the vendors not backing up the warrenty and pissed off a very few customers- in hindsight, it would have been a smarter business decision to just take the hit and take care of the customer, but retailers are NOT a non-profit business! I am FAR from a Best Buy fan, but in this case, I have to side with the retailer- If you CHOOSE to buy a "Chevy Cobalt for $8000, you can't complain when it doesn't perform or last as long as a $40,000 Mercedes!!

View more comments (2)
Review
On christmas eve, I read about this deal that best buy was giving on a Sony 40" LCD + Song BluRay Player + Sony 5.1 Surround Sound System for an amazing price of almost $1,300! I wanted to buy it right away so I called and the stores were closed so I call the 24 hour...

Williamsburg VA Best Buy,

Same thing happen to me yesterday. I called the police and was told to take it to court.

something needs to be done about Best Buy. I've been a loyal customer in the past two months I know I've spent over $3000. I got my iwatch, Harmon Kardon head set, sound bar, another tv, etc... The sales clerk in that store know me.

I can't believe it!

I tried to call head quarters they said the manager in the location has to handle the situation. I'm in the military and don't have the time but I'm going to make the time to go to court $1542 is a lot of money to just let BB have.

Onekeisha@yahoo.com

View more comments
Review
The Geek Squad is a rip off. They take advantage of anyone with a question. They treat their customers like prey instead of appricating their business. They tried to tell me I made a laptop crash after having it less than 24 hrs. I was sold a laptop as new that...

The battery would be in the laptop if it was a Toshiba or a certain Dell model. I call *** because if the laptop was defective they would replace it. There is more to the story, such as damge orsomething.

View more comments

3 month old computer/best buy is a joke

purchased a computer in September, by December the motherboard and hard drive were fryed. Best buy said they would send it to HP to have it taken care of. A month later, we finally got the computer back. Heres where it gets interesting, first we paid for them to back up the computer and we needed that by the next day, they said no problem, well we did not get it for almost a week. then when e got the computer back the *** tried to say we owed money, i said for what, he tried to say they reprogrammed the computer however i knew they didn't because my husband had told them not to. the *** check and they did no work. so then i asked the guy if my original programs were on the computer the ones it was sold with, he said "NO" its empty. I started getting very anrgy, he said well you did not but there service package, I told him the computer should come back the way it was purchased, he got very rude and said contact HP. By this time I was pissed, I tolded him there practices are not right and they don't stand behind products they sell, he got even ruder, at the end of the whole thing, he had the nerve to say his exact words " SIGN THIS PAPER SO I CAN GIVE YOU BACK MY COMPUTER" indicating it was his, I went off on him, i hope this company goes under i will make a point to advise people to stay away from best buy, there a joke

Looks like Best Buy has the Geek Squad answering back to the comments.Its already known Best Buy has *** customer service and social rejects for the Geek Squad. bottom line another customer bites the dust.

If you hear people yelling every time you go to Best Buy, it's probably not a good sign for us to be shopping there. I doubt someone expects instant repairs ---maybe quality repairs but not instant.

Yet again, *** tool blames ALL their problems on the people trying to fix them! I'll bet she SCREAMED for a brand new computer cuz' she spilled something on this one.

Every time I go to Best Buy there is somebody YELLING because they have to wait for somebody to fix the computer that they broke! Yeah, I saw the big sign outside offering "INSTANT COMPUTER REPAIRS" (Not!!!)

You seem to have that malfuntion tommie.

Just another *** wanting something for nothing.

Is that also YOUR malfunction, MAC? :x

"Jokes on you"? Sounds like a "best buy attitude".

Don't you think you should have paid someone to do your thinking for you BEFORE you fried your computer?

Joke's on you. :roll

View more comments (6)
Review

Best Buy Sells Faulty Computers!

This is the third and last computer I will ever buy from Best Buy! The first one crashed in 6 mos Best Buy could never seem to fix it. The second the mother board fried took them 4 mos and 3 times of sending it back to fix it paid for back up protection for pictures they forgot then charged me anyway for the back up. 3rd and last I had no choice to buy #2 froze and crashed got #3 had it 3 wks had to send it back they had it 6mos got it back it crashed that same night! In the 3 years I've owned it I have had it for 6 mos working properly. They dont honor Lemon Laws Ever!

does best buy make the laptops themselves? no.

who does? the manufacturer.

who should you be angry at? the manufacturer.

I worked at BBY in a separate service center. It's expensive to run a service center and BBY was constantly looking for a less expensive M.O.

The fact is that customer service will always suffer with the monster-regional service plans. We used to call every customer and follow all the parts orders, expediting them if the part was on order over 48 hours, but this did not result in cost savings. My belief was we were doing the right thing by keeping the customers informed and advised, but let's face facts: that wasn't getting the units proccessed quickly or cheaply enough for their business model. Also we had been techs for a minimum of ten years, so we were well paid, but there's more expense.

That's why we all got "promoted to customer" and replaced by teenagers.

All businesses want it cheaper and quicker. And yes, some customers will get screwed in the proccess.

All I can say is, that it's too bad Best Buy can't refuse to sell computers to people who breathe through their mouths, don't wear seatbelts, and smoke a pack a day while pregnant.

Yet more examples of inept people spending loads of money of things they have no understanding of, using terms they don't fully understand and thinking they are soooo right.

@gsdpero "Fried" your wireless?? How is that done exactly?

How do you "fry" a motherboard? I really need to know as I have been working IT for going on 12 years and have never had anything remotly like that happen to any computer I have installed, admined or supported.

Why does anyone pay for backing up their files? I just don't understand it. Buy a thumb drive or an external HDD and copy them there. Simple and easy.

As for crashing? What were you doing before a "crash" What OS, hardware specs, open and running services, extra hardware connected, ect? Answer those questions and I can help.

Another thought on Mom_of_4's geek squad complaint: Can it really be that the geek squad is that inept in something that they are touted at be so proficient in? Like Arsenio Hall used to say, "That's one of those things that make you go: Hmmmmmm?"

I had a similiar experience with BB, except they fried my wireless while doing some routine maint. that I was paying for.

It took several months and alot of hassle to get them to make it right. I believe, based on watching other consumer issues at the geek squad desk, that BB paints unsuspecting customers into a corner in order to tug at their purse strings.

I said then: "I'll never do business with them again," and I haven't and won't. Another to big for their britches big box company.

View more comments (5)

Best Buy poor customer service

In November 2005 I purchased a 50" LG plasma TV from Best Buy in Dover, DE. (#842). In May 2008 while watching the TV there were three very loud "bangs" and the unit shut down. I called the warranty service and the TV was repaired ( cost of $ 700.00). On 12-27-09 while watching the TV there was a very loud "bang" and the unit again shut down. I called the warranty service and was advised that the extended warranty expired 10-31-09. I was very upset as I had not been afforded the opportunity to renew the warranty for this TV. I explained the situation to the warranty rep, stating the TV had blown up twice within a year and a half and I was not afforded a renewal on the extended warranty. Nothing they could do. The afternoon of 12-27 I went to the Dover DE store and requested to speak to the store manager. I was advised that the assistant manager was there. I asked to speak to him but he refused to come out and speak to me. He sent messages out to me via a store associate. I was told that there was nothing that could be done at the store level and that I would have to contact the corporate office. On Monday 12-28-09 I called the corporate office and after being transferred to the wrong department four times I finally spoke to a gentleman by the name of Tim. Tim advised me that there was nothing that Corporate could do and it would have to be handled at the store level (here comes the runaround). I then called the Dover DE store and spoke to the manager his name is Glenn Stitsworth. I explained everything to Mr. Stitsworth and he asked me exactly what I wanted from him. I explained the story to him and that I have been a loyal customer to Best Buy for many years and have spent many thousands of dollars with the company. Mr. Stitsworth advised me that company loyalty means nothing. Considerations of this nature are not based on loyalty of the amount of money one spends with Best Buy. He did however say that he would see what he could do and he would get back with me. He again asked why I thought Best Buy should help me with matter and I again explained that I paid $ 4000.00 for this television and it had blown up 2 times in a year and one half. I feel that this unit is defective and should be repaired at no expense to me. I also explained that I feel I was not afforded the renewal warranty due to a "payout" being made on this unit. He assured me that that was not the case. It has bee over 10 days and I have not heard from Mr. Stitsworth. I believe Best Buy should stand behind this unit. The overall cost to Best Buy would be in insignificant on the overall scope of things and would go to great lengths in restoring confidence in the company.

Does someone HAVE your TV, or is it just looking pretty sitting on your wall? Also, is it the same part that was replaced (that you didn't pay $700 for) two years ago? Did that repair have any warranty? What you describe sounds pretty unusual for a plasma TV. Have you checked the Internet for bullitens or recalls by the manufacturer?

Because, honestly, I don't see that Best Buy's going to do anything for you at this point. They don't own the warranty, and from what I've been told get nothing on a renewal. I got no call on my TV, refrigerator, dishwasher, range, or other electronics. I don't expect to get one, either. About the only hope you have left, is that the manager might be able to give you a discount on a new one.

The only good part if this, is that you will be able to purchase a 50" plasma with better technology for a lot less than you paid for yours 4 years ago. I've seen them for as low as $700.

Good luck.

Thank you for reading my post. Perhaps I need to clarify a couple of things in my description of events. I was not charged $ 700.00. I stated that I called the Warranty/Service dept and the TV was repaired. It cost $700.00 for the parts and labor which the warranty/service plan covered. ( as I stated further in my post as a "Warranty payout being made".Historicaly, it has been my experience with most all of my extended warrantys/service agreements that as they reach their experation date I am contacted via mail or phone, if not both, inquiring if I wish to extend them.

I believe I am clear as far as the dates are concerned. Unit was purchased in Nov. 2005. First problem was in May 2008, covered under ext warranty/service plan. Second problem with unit 12-27-09. That would equal 1 year and 7 months. The unti failed twice in less time than it took for the original failure.

Perhaps I am not as articulate as many but you have the full story. I am not pulling any fast ones here. And as of this writing I STILL do not have any response from the store. Perhaps I am asking too much.

First of all, explain to me why you were charged $700 for service in May 2008. Secondly, did you bother to read the terms of your agreement?

The time frame of how and when things happens to anything you connect to wall current not withstanding, you had four years to figure out when was a good time to renew a service agreement (not an extended warranty)

Aside from that, you compound the confusion by stating "the TV had blown up twice within a year and a half", when by your own admission it was well over two years before you experienced your first problem...and then PAID FOR IT? Was there some service performed outside the warranty terms?

Something tells me that, once again, we are not getting the whole story here.

View more comments (2)
Best Buy Manager

Fraudulent price guarantee at Best Buy

I saw a 52 inch TV on sale at Best Buy for $1,799.00 and saw the same TV on sale for $1,599.00 at a competitor's website. The sales manager at the Surrey Central Best Buy location in Surrey, British Columbia refused to honor Best Buy's price guarantee even after I provided him with a printout of the competitors price as proof. The manager's excuse - the competitor's price was below Best Buy's cost price, so he was not prepared to honor Best Buy's price guarantee. No other manager was available so I sent two e-mails to Best Buy's customer service - to date, they have either refused or chose not to respond. I will be filing a formal complaint with the BBB, Consumer Protection Authority and the Competition Bureau for Best Buy's fraudulent marketing practices. Never buy from this business again.

I tried to do the same thing at my Best buy and they said, "Can't do it" , but they explained why... The website I brought the ad in from, on further investigation, is an "Authorized Re-Seller" meaning they sell "refurbished" items, NOT factory direct "New" items.

I asked the Mgr. about the quality of refurbished and he said "Most of them are great, but, when you buy "sight unseen" from the web, you can never be sure of the condition, how long it was used BEFORE it was refurbished, and who do you deal with if it fails again?. They offered me a substantial discount on a similar but better model (matched a local dealer even tho' the closest store had sold out-but a store 45 minutes away still had some)just to get my business. I thought they handled the issue professionally and with a great deal of tact.

I'm sure they get TONS of people wanting to match prices on "iffy" on-line merchandise and I bet it gets old really quick, but in my case, they did right by me. Just sayin'..........

Hey Alan Z; match a price on what, and from whom? WTF?

Give us some legitimate details to look at!

Jim, I have never been refused a price match at my Best Buy. Maybe I am just lucky, huh?

Hey ***

Have you ever read the notices right as your walk into a Best Buy that says they reserve the right to refuse business with anybody they see fit? Have you ever read the fine print of their price matching guarantee?

Or were you just naive enough to think that there were no details, no stipulations, no exclusions, and downright no way for a manager to deny a sale? If you've made it far enough in life to be able to purchase 1600 dollar TV and not have learned that lesson by now, well congratulations, you're the luckiest human being in history.

Same problem with Bestbuy in Commack, NY. Went into the store with a local competitors ad and they refused to match the price.

I had the newspaper in hand. I was told the price was below their wholesale price????? Who cares if Bestbuy cannot obtain the item cheaper then the other store. The policy states, bring in the ad and we will simply match that price???

I called Bestbuy main office and no one could tell me why the store did not match the price.

Great customer service. I will buy my electronics else where.

By policy (and general rule) Best Buy doesn't pricematch competitor's websites. If a store's manager decides to do so, that's up to them.

Good luck with your complaining.

Best Buy Retail Store Price Match Guarantee...

If you find a lower advertised price on the same available brand and model prior to your purchase or during the exchange and return period, we will match that price. Simply bring in the ad of the local retail competitor or Best Buy, while the lower price is in effect and receive your price match.

The guarantee does not apply to our competitors' website pricing and the guarantee does not apply to our or our competitors':

Offers that include financing, bundling of items, free items, pricing errors and mail-in offers

Items that are limited-quantity, out of stock, open-box, clearance, Outlet Center, refurbished/used items and items for sale Thanksgiving day through the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

View more comments (4)
Product
Best Buy Website

Laptop purchased online and not received! | Best Buy review from Charlotte, North Carolina

Best Buy has left me with the worst experience shopping online I've had. After purchasing a laptop online, I was sent the UPS tracking number for someone else's shipment and never received mine. It's been over a month since I reported the problem (and I've made over 10 phone calls on the issue!) and they have not refunded my credit card. A card I opened with them! All the customer service reps can plainly see that they package was not mine and was not shipped to me, yet they can't seem to get it resolved. I will never give another dime to Best Buy.

"...the package was not mine and was not shipped to me..."

Well, if it wasn't yours, then it SHOULDN'T have been shipped to you! :grin

srly, dude...just drive down to the store and have them help you out. :cry

BestBuy employees ill-informed | Best Buy review from Chelmsford, Massachusetts

I have been told buy Best Buy that the TiVo $100-off promotion has ended: Quote: "I have researched the promotion and it has ended" However, when I go to the web site it still shows the offer: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat197600050019&type=category I have talked to at least 5 people at Best Buy that told me that there is no and never was such a promotion... I found one store manager who told me the offer only started after Dec 26th. However I received an email for the offer on Dec 10th. I have been told by customer support that the offer is for bestbuy.com only. But right on the web site it says: "Offer available only at Best Buy stores and BestBuy.com" I still cannot get a straight answer from anyone I talk to.

maybe someone should tell the employees at the best buy store what tom found out.

Yep...promotion expired. The link still works, but you can't pull it up on any of the current offers.

"Savings will be reflected in your cart when all offer requirements are met.

If you remove any of the qualifying items from your cart or cancel all or part of your order, you will not receive the promotional savings. Valid on in-stock items only. Items may ship separately.

OFFER SUBJECT TO CHANGE."

Nice try. :roll