Filter by rating
State:
City:
Product:
Show

Best buy and Geek cheated me..

Bought a Dell XPS laptop at BestBuy in Spartanburg SC. Purchased DickSquad ultimate warranty "just in case". I had owned the machine for a matter of days. It was no longer able to boot. I have buit comptuers for years and am taking classes for the CCNA exam. Needless to say..I have seen a computer or two before. I suspected hardware failure, took the machine back to DickSuqad.. Immediatly the next 30mins were we probably cant cover this you will have to pay to install a new OS. You have to buy this and pay blah blah blah. I called the manager. DickSquad was reluctant but agreed to run the diagnostic program on the machine..They did the Motherboard was bad.I needed the laptop for school so 4 to 6 weeks for "send out" repair was not an option and of course, THEY DONT HAVE THAT ONE ANYMORE. the best they could do was I could pay MORE or they could exchange for another laptop..All they had in store at the time was a piece of *** HP and a piece of *** Vaio. I picked the HP went up front knowing that the HP was a 700.00 dollar computer and I paid 850.00 for the Dell. Expecting them to refund the difference..Boy was I wrong. DickSquad told me that they were"Exchanging technology for technology" and couldnt do any price difference. I could get a MORE expensive laptop if I wanted to pay more,but I could get no refund. I walked out with a 700.00 HP laptop that I had only paid 850.00 for..Gotta love Spartanburg SC BestBuy..

Had similar problem with an HP bought from best buy. got the run around about best buy's extended warranty.

called HP directly and they gave me no cost repair and suggested i cancel the extended warranty and not let best buy work on it again.

have had no problems with the pc since the reapir. best buy manager wasn't too happy when i canceled the extended warranty and tried to create a scene in front of the others waiting for repairs.

I totally agree with Kevin, you fell under the 30 day return policy. You might still, because we extended the return period 30 days after christmas for purchases made before christmas.

And you cant possibly blame best buy for not having you computer in stock, especially right before the holidays when laptops fly off the shelves. And just curious, what warrantee did you get? We dont offer a "DickSquad ultimate warranty".

And also, all the warrantee coverage is in the packet that you received with the warrantee. I would consult that.

Um, if you had the computer "a matter of days" why didn't you just return it and say it's defective. They can't charge a restocking fee for a defective product.

That was your choice. A smart person would have made them stand behind their warranty and wait for a repair on what they felt was such a superior machine.

An educated person would have been able to explain their situation with more facts and less childish name calling, too.

View more comments (3)

Best Buy - Management

This complaint is regarding the Best Buy located in Irvine, California. My family was harrassed this past weekend at this store. I am so ofended by the way I was treated at this store. I was with my family Christmas shopping on Saturday. We were buying all kinds of goodies from digital cameras to gps units. We spent $1,000 that day. While we were checking out they decided to have a manager stand next to the cashier as she was scanning all items. The manager then bagged the items after the transactions were complete. As we proceeded to walk out of the store, we were stopped by another store manager. This manager's name is Lucey and she asked to see the receipt. We showed it to her, and she moved us to the side. She took everything out of our bags and went through the entire receipt. She told us that we didn't pay for items that were obviously listed on the receipt. She was rude, and made my family feel humilated. Other customers were looking to see what was going on. It was byfar the worst experience I have ever had. In the end (after 15-20 minutes) she saw that everything was paid for. She didn't apologize to us for her behavoir or anything. She was mad, and upset. As soon as I left I called the corporate headquarters, and I called the stores General Manager. The General Manager said that he would talk to her about her behavoir. Later that evening we realized we didn't buy something, and had to back to another Best Buy located in Laguna Niguel, Ca. We went in purchased our items, and walked out without any harrassment. In the end I am asking myself was the outcome of this good enough???? What do you think??

F best buy. If your having a good day, dont brother heading there. You'll just end up being pissed.

Best Buy Manager

Best Buy in New York, New York - Bestbuy.com

I have been a Best-buy premium SILVER customer for a very long time. This holiday I bought a Samsung ln46b640 (a bestbuy exclusive model for$999+tax) from bb.com. I had to pick up from Brooklyn, NY as it was the closest available store to get the TV. I got a confirmation from bb.com and I even called the store to confirm the same. After driving 25-30miles to the store, they asked me to wait for them to find the item. Long story short, after waiting for 2hrs and 15mins they finally told me that they couldn't find my tv. I called bestbuy.com the next day and after an hour on the phone they told me that there was a computer glitch and I cannot have the tv I ordered, as its out of stock. They told me if I buy with the next model (ln46b650)which was priced at $1359that they will give me a discount of $250. This model # has the same spec as ln46b640 1080p&120HZ, but with a red color border and a chin at the bottom part of the tv. In effect I paid $1100 for the same wine in a different bottle. I got the tv delivered on 12/11/09 and I was still satisfied with my purchase as I got the tv even if I paid a little bit extra. At least that's what I thought until I saw the bestbuy's sales flyer. I found that the tv came with a free blueray player+ free blueray movie (Hangover) and the price dropped to $1279. I called bb.com to at least get the blueray player. I was surprised when the CS rep told me that her supervisor denied to do so. I called again after a few days and got the same answer that they cannot honor the promotion as the TV has been delivered. I felt that I have been screwed over by bestbuy. I am going to return the TV as I still have 8 more days to do so. I am probably going to sears and getting the deal as they do price match. I am learned it the hard way that bestbuy.com will not price match there own promotion even if its with in few days after the item is delivered. I have been a bestbuy customer for a long time and a premium silver member, but from now, bestbuy is not going to be on the list of my "Place to shop"!

Tom is probably the rep that messed up. Poor Tom.

Kinda same deal I bought a Dell XPS laptop with unconditional DickSquad warranty..I am studying for CCNA so I have an idea about computers..DickSquak IMMEDIATLY started telling me reasons why the COULDNT cover this..The manager got ivolved the decded to run the diagonostics on the computer. The motherboard was bad, The exchaneged ONLY for computer of LESSER value..I paid 850.00 for the Dell walked out with a piece of *** HP that sold for 700.00..They "exchanged technology for technology" no refunds..

Screw BestBuy of Spartanburg SC and DICKSQUAD service. Next time its Dell.Com all the way...

Your just mad because the only job you can get is working for Bestbuy. Get a life, the only thing you have to do is set in your mon and dads basement and play on your computer. I forgot to add it was the Bestbuy of florence Kentucky

sonijp

@ Tom

I don't know what your agenda is but here is the situation. I paid $100 more and not $10.

And the $200 off wasn't for the that TV.

It was a compensation for the Bestbuy employee screw-up, which made me drive 20 miles to Brooklyn and wait for 2hrs and 15 min at the register for a store pickup and not get the item. I don't know how you value your time, but for me 3hrs is worth more than $200.

Not only did you get a better TV (100k contrast vs 80k, and the additional features; including Twitter, Flickr, Yahoo! Widgets, You Tube, Rallycast, Blockbuster On Demand, and eBay) but the price difference is AT MOST $200! So, they sold you that TV at almost $800 off list! (your math - not mine...you paid $10 more for a better model!)

So, you get a better deal on a BETTER TV (which nobody else got, I'M SURE), and you're going to post them up over a lousey DVD PLAYER? It's called double-dipping. I wouldn't allow you to do it, either.

Now, if you REALLY want that free DVD player, I'm pretty sure they would be willing to renegotiate the price you paid for your TV back up to the level where you would qualify for it, but it would very likely cost you more than the DVD player is worth! The price you paid for the TV is STILL less than the difference with the cost of the player removed, or don't you see that?

Please burn your "Premium Silver" membership card; you're not qualified to use it.

Oh, Jeff...MANUFACTURER'S WARRANTY. Look into it. It doesn't matter what price you paid or what the model is, DEFECTS IN WORKMANSHIP has you covered. Best Buy would have sent it back to them for free, and you would have been made whole by now.

Think much?

Hi, I had the same kind of thing happen to me. I bought a new HP computer the day after thanksgiving and they were sold out in minutes.

It was screwd up from the start, hard drive was bad and maybe the mother board.

They would not replace it because it had a different model number and they wanted me to pay over $400.00 more for the same computer with different model number or they would give me a smaller computer instead. The computer they offered me you could buy at Walmart anyday for a cheaper price.

View more comments (5)
Best Buy Deal
Loss

Will not shop at Best Buy AGAIN!!

"I purchased 2 of these laptops. The first laptop was purchased early December from Best Buy online. Shortly after, I was having issues with the screen and mouse freezing after I open the lip. It seemed to be an intermittent issue but after a week of having it - it became more of an inconvenience. Under the impression that it was just a isolated incident I advised the CSR what I was expriencing and my full refund was provided with no questions asked. The second laptop was purchased a week after since it was sold out at all the local Best Buy's. YET AGAIN, I was experiencing the same issue with the screen freezing. This time, I attempted to get the issue resolved with technical support - to no avail. Not only was the issue causing me a lot of frustration but at this point in time, I had spend about 2 hours with un-help desk. I went to the store to return the laptop. The Geek Squad would not refund me in full and wanted to charge me with the 15% restock fee since we could not "prove the issue we were experiencing". How do you prove an issue that is intermittent? Aside from spending hours on end until it occurs, they refused to give me my full refund. I dealt with 2 managers. One of which did not speak to me in person the other one stated that he would waive it only if I purchased a laptop today. SO, the restock fee could be waived at the discretion of the manager only if a purchase was made? Sounds like a bribe. Nonetheless, after spending over an hour at the Geek Squad desk, we just took the hit of $85.00. I am extremely unsatisfied with this laptop and moreso with the Customer Service of Best Buy. We will not be purchasing any future electronics here again and we will definitely share this experience with family and friends. What's really upsetting is they will resell this defected laptop and if that consumer wants to return it, they will have to pay the 15% restocking fee since they will not be able to prove an intermittent issue - unless of course they are lucky enough to have it occur in front of Best Buy."
Sirrrus

Any new laptop returned has a 15% restocking fee if it's a straight return. Unless there's a defective issue.

Since you had 2 of the same laptop and had the same issue, it's one of 2 possibilities. It's every laptop on the entire line of that model number (which would be all over the Internet and there would be a recall) or it's the user/their software. Those are the only 2 constants in this situation and logically, since you had 2 of the same situation, it's one of the two constants. Managers do have the authority to wave the restocking fee IF you buy something else...anything else...equal or greater to your purchase price.

Laptops are expensive to return to the manufacturer. If there is an issue, they never go back to the floor, it's sent to manufacturer. If it's proven to be working and in pristine condition, then it MIGHT be sold open-box with your issue listed in the comments. Manufacturer will do the same thing Best Buy will in that first year and won't charge you shipping to the service center, mac.

We don't building these things, if they're broken when we get them it's not our fault. If they become broken in a customer's possession it's DEFINITELY NOT our fault.

Swap for a different model next time. Get the GSBTP so all repair is covered by Best Buy, they'll fix you up even after that 1 year is over.

don't take it back to best buy for service. big mistake to do that......go to the manufacturer for help. second mistake ---- buying a second one from best buy.

Like this board is an accurate sampling of anything? :x

I have no problem with posting complaints if they are legit, but with this site you get to post whatever you want and ignore the facts.

I merely try to bring a little reality to the discussion.

Now, do I tend to be a little RUDE? Have you read some of this ***?

Tom you must work for best buy I've seen 3 or four posts where you seem overly offended by someone venting over them. I agree with you on one account, but everyone can't be wrong about them.....

First of all, Best Buy only charges a 15% restocking fee on laptop computers that are new in the box when purchased, and then returned without another unit purchased to replace it. Open items and display computeres sold do not get a 15% restocking fee when they are returned.

Likewise a computer that has ben "pre-set" by the Geek Squad prior to purchase.

Secondly, electronics is not a perfect science; especially when you factor in the human element.

Just because you can't understand it, doesn't mean something is or isn't as issue. And re-purchasing the same item expecting different results isn't always the wisest course of action.

Maybe you should do a little more research before buying a computer next time.

View more comments (4)
Review

Best Buy in Charlotte, North Carolina - Company will not replace items purchased on the internet

I bought a tom tom gps on a black Friday sale and it was defective. Best Buy will refund your money but will not replace the defective item. After I waited two weeks for delivery it was to late to take my money elsewhere and buy the same unit because of the black Friday price. I will never buy from Best Buy online again. I have purchased items from dozens of on line companies and have never had any one of them treat me the way Best Buy Customer service did. If they don't have it in the store then "Don't buy from Best Buy."

Best Buy in Auburn, Indiana - Did not address my complant

Best Buy rejected a personal check written on an account with at least 30 times the amount of the check. I stopped at the bank to see why. The bank said the problem was with best buy's electronic check checking system and not at the bank. I went to another best buy location. Same deal. got phone number for their check system. Got nothing in the way of an answer as to a sense able reason as to why it was rejected. Talked to store manager and was told it had nothing to do with best buy, but was with the global company they hired to do their electronic check checking. The store is within a half mile of the bank I stopped at. Don't the phone lines connect to the bank?

We had the same problem at Best Buy, although we had more than enough to cover our purchase in our account, Telecheck denied us. When i called Telecheck i was informed:

A. I have not had this account for long, there have been too many transactions on it thus far.

--True it is a new account, but i hardly think one transaction yesterday for $20 and the one i tried to make today hardly is TOO many!! Why can't i spend my money? I don't know why he didn't seem to care and know that maybe i am trying to build up history but if you deny me, I CAN"T.

B. You should make more small purchases, to build history???

WTF so your trying to control how i spend my money? Oh i can spend $20 and under but no more than that?? Really why even keep my money in a bank (which i don't) or a credit union if you have to deal with this ***. I'm not going to buy Starbucks or a pack of gum with a check get real i'm sure they wouldn't even take it.

Just so you know debit cards are not an option for me, I have also had this same problem with them at BofA ,when i had an account there... they would freeze my account (suspicious activity) 1 hr later free to spend my money again. I don't like corporations telling me how and when to spend MY MONEY!!!

Well i guess it'll be all cash for me from here on out.

it must be frustrating for the customers that experience this. best buy must be frustrated with it also ---i wonder how many upset customers just go somewhere else to spend their $$.

"Comments on did not address my complant"

Maybe that's because your complaints are pointed in the wrong direction. Best Buy would dearly LOVE to take your check. Unfortunately, with all the flim-flamers about, presenting bad checks, stolen credit cards and funny money, a retailer has to protect itself.

This is where TeleCheck comes in.

If TeleCheck tells a retailer it's suspicious of a transaction, there's some kind of reason. If Best Buy ignores this partner and takes a bad check, then they stand alone. If TeleCheck approves and the check is bad, then Best Buy only stands for a small percentage of the loss.

Yes, this is not a Best Buy problem at all. This has everything to do with Telecheck.

Best Buy cannot override a check that has been declined by Telecheck.

Just wondering, if you could stop by the bank so easily, why didn't you just go by and get the money?

And who the *** uses checks anymore??? Just use a freaking debit card!!!!

We have the same problem where I work, we use Telecheck and many checks are refused when we run them through the Telecheck machine, some of them from clients who we KNOW have more than enough money to cover the check.Telecheck will not tell us why the check is being refused, and though there is a number for the client to call, when they do they just get the run around, never any clear answer as to why the check is refused when the money is in the bank, this often leads to the client yelling threats into the phone at the Telecheck person. Perhaps someone from Telecheck would like to explain how their system works

View more comments (4)
Best Buy Manager
I purchased this LG washer/dryer combo on Nov. 22nd when they first listed them for $349 each online. LG - 3.6 Cu. Ft. 5-Cycle Washer - White Model: WM2016CW | SKU: 8247569 LG - 7.0 Cu. Ft. 5-Cycle Electric Dryer - White Model: DLE2516W | SKU: 8247603 When I completed...

My daughter had the same problem. We were told that the store "oversold" the warehouse quantity and LG was not able to fulfill the quantities to satisfy all the orders sold.

Seems like poor planning on Best Buy's part but , It was a REALLY good deal!! She got her money back on a cancelled order and was offered a MAJOR discount off on any "in-stock" laundry pair.

Review
I've worked at Best Buy for a little over 3 months. I was hired as a "seasonal employee" for the time leading up to and through the Christmas holiday. The first month was fine, no problems no complaints. As time went on I began to notice things. There were certain...

I have been harassed by my supervisor at store 175 Donna Robinson

Loss
2 1/2 years ago I purchased a wide screen t.v., blu ray player, and a receiver. I spent over $5,000.00. I bought the warranty. My blu ray door stuck and caught one of my favorite cd's inside. I returned player to store. It was sent to repair, and I was called and...
Best_Buy_Tom

So, they totally replace your almost three year old Blu-Ray player with a brand new one, and you're carping about a disc that will be on sale next week for $5?

get.a.life. :roll

Best Buy TV's are junk

I purchased an Insignia 47" 1080p HD TV on 8/28/09. On 12/1/09 the TV picture went blank in the middle of a television program. I also purchased the extended warranty just in case the TV quit working. After contacting the Best Buy Geek Squad I spent an hour on the phone trying to get an appointment to have the TV repaired. They set a date of 12/8. I told them to also try to find a sooner appointment. I called back on 12/7 and was told that my original appointment date was cancelled. They scheduled the next appointment for 12/11. On 12/10, I received a call that the technician got hurt and the appointment was re-scheduled for 12/17. That is more than 2 weeks without the use of a TV. Obviously Best Buy doesn't care about the consumer. All they want is your money and once you walk out of the store, they don't want to hear from you again. I called the store to complain about the service and got the brush off from the manager in the TV department. From now on, I will purchase my TV's from Walmart. They cost less and will probably last longer than 3 months.

Wow, I bet that technician got hurt on purpose just so that he didn't have to come to your house. Are you that selfish that you don't care about someone getting hurt as long as you get to watch your shows?

I am sorry about the other reschedulings, though.

However, if you want a TV that lasts longer than a couple months, maybe you shouldn't be cheap and go for the brand name products. Remember, you get what you pay for, and regardless of where you buy it (Best Buy or Walmart), if you pay #500 less for one TV than a comparable Sony or Samsung, you should probably expect it to not be as good of quaility.

Best_Buy_Tom

Yeah...I was feeling sorry for you, right up until the WalMart crack. Now, I have no respect for you.

If you feel THAT screwed, go return your service plan and get your money back...that'll show 'em. :roll

View more comments (1)