Filter by rating :
filters

Best Buy - Takes money but accepts no responsibility

When my husband and I bought our laptops from Best Buy, the sales representative persuaded us to buy Trend Micro Antivirus software. The come-on was that the first six months were free. Towards the end of August, we started getting notices that the software was expiring and that we needed to call Best Buy to renew it. The Best Buy representative said that they had our credit card number on file (I was not happy to hear this) and that the software would automatically be renewed on August 31. The charge was posted to our credit card in early September. Almost one month and many calls later to both Best Buy and Trend Micro, we continue to receive from Trend Micro the statement "unable to authorize payment." Best Buy acknowleges that they have received payment, but each person to whom I have spoken claims not to be responsible and will not do anything to resolve the problem. I have only four days left before the grace period expires so I am going to have to buy new software to replace the software I have already purchased.

cancel the charge and go get avast.

it's free and outclasses trend micro in almost every way.

#205238

You need to read the fine print on things. Everything that is "free" nowadays requires a credit card. You wouldn't have been able to get that 6 months free if you didn't swipe your credit card so you can be unhappy all you want for willingly giving them something.

Review
#200219 Review #200219 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Service
Best Buy Sales Representative

Liar, Liar on Dyson vacuum cleaner | Best Buy review from Laramie, Wyoming

Bought a Dyson vacuum cleaner as was told that if I ever had a problem with it that they would give a replacement. One of the tubes busted so I drove the sixty miles to take it in. They said that they could not give me a replacement and they would send it in. They assured me that it would be back in a week. I explained what the saleman had said about a replacement because my wife has a daycare in the home and vaccuumed every day. They said they could do nothing and to come back in a week when it would be back. I called for three weeks and each week they said it would be in soon. I called on a Wednesday and they promised me that the vaccuum would be in by Saturday and that I could come and pick it up. I drove the sixty miles to pick it up and when I arrived they said it had no come in as promised. I explained that I had to have a vaccuum cleaner and they again told me they could do nothing. I then requested that when it came in, they could deliver it to my home which was sixty miles away. They told me that they did not deliver. I told them that they would this time as I was not coming back in the store again. It ended up with my son in law picking it up and when we went to see the grandchildren, I picked it up then. I have never and will never set foot in that store again and I have told my story to as many people as will listen.

Darken, go home to your own country.

What really helps me is to not try to deal with such an unprofessional place and I immediately take it to the corporate level and/or to the BBB and state Consumer Protection Agency; you could also try going through the company that made the product. It sounds like you had a terrible experience that no one should have to experience! It also sounds like poor management and an awful manager in this store.

Tom
#197015

if it was a refurbished Item then you were taking a gamble, ah god all you americans are like spoiled children, waa waa waa

#193803

next time read the service plan within the first 30 days that you own a product.

View more comments (3)
Review
#199894 Review #199894 is a subjective opinion of poster.

Best Buy/Geek Squad poor customer service

My sister bought her son a $500 ASUS laptop from Best Buy last December. They don't have much money and going against my advice, she did not buy any additional warranty or insurance policy. Long story short, within 6 months, the LCD screen was cracked due to misuse and the computer was no longer usable. Understandably, since they did not buy the accident protection policy, Best Buy was under no obligation to fix the computer for free. My problem is that when she brought it to the Geek Squad section of the local Best Buy store, the computer was sent away for diagnosis and she was ultimately told that it would cost $900 to replace the LCD screen. Recall that the original laptop purchase price 6 months earlier was $500. It didn't make much sense to me that it should cost almost twice as much to replace the LCD as the original new price of the laptop. How would you feel for example if you bought a new car for $20,000 and when you brought it back to the dealer in 6 months to repair something they wanted almost $40,000 to repair it? Fortunately, I had enough technical expertise to diagnose the problem and fix it myself. My cost was $180 for the replacement LCD screen and $10 for shipping. My labor time was 20 to 30 minutes. Therefore, not counting my labor time, I fixed the laptop for $190 (versus Geek squad charge of $900). I believe that any reasonable person would agree with me that Best Buy was attempting to grossly over-charge for this repair. I'm just glad that I was able to help my sister avoid being ripped-off. Another example of customer service at its worst! By the way, I did call the Best Buy corporate customer service department to complain but they didn't seem to understand why I felt that this was bad service.

$900 seems a little extreme, but it is the most expensive part of a laptop.

As a side line I renovate historic buildings. Had a project that was abandoned for several years. Need every window replaced, but still had to keep this historic window frames. I had 7 window companies quote the job, ranged from $150K to $2.1M. A team of 3 people and 6 months and we did it our selfs for less then $3K.

Moral: Self repair is ALWAYS less expensive!!

#205241

They are a major company, with the main goal of making money. So to them, $900 from you is awesome. Next time, don't smash the screen

Tom
#197024

well they are a business first off so they have to make money. second thier parts department is a third party company and charges Best Buy full price for parts.

View more comments (2)
Review
#199877 Review #199877 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Loss
I purchase an LG washer and dryer at Best Buy. After four months, the dryer broke. Wouldn't power up (fancy model with bells and whistles). A machine four months old should not break and should replaced. Although I was on the phone for 5 hours with their Cust....
#205245

It's not Best Buy's fault that LG made a faulty product. They don't have random parts sitting around waiting for products to break. Direct your ignorant rage at LG

Review
#199518 Review #199518 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Loss

BEST BUY ....I AM PISSED OFF!

I just went back to use the BLACK TIE warranty service and was harassed for 60 minutes while they told me i must have misunderstood their policy (although they have been charging me 9.95 for the last 10 months. The plan was expressed that if the BLACK TIE protection plan allows a person to bring their phone back to best (rip off) BUY and if they can no fix it ...they will replace it (PALM PIXI).....the part they left out (the flippin idiots) was that they have to send it off and we could be without it for 3-6 weeks. This was the mount Juliet ,TN store and the department manager Holly Black was one of the most Sarcastic kid i ever met. The other person Mark (the person making the sale but leaving me without "the whole truth" kept us waiting for over 1 hour while he set up the "loaner phone" and literally joked and laughed with another employee the entire time. Best Buy....not only do you have a problem with your warranty/protection plans (should be called black hole protection...not black tie)...but your associates need a whole lot of training. So I am going to take my storey to the next share holder meeting (yes I own stock) and speak to all who attend the share holder meeting. Sincerely ABSOLUTLEY PO'd.

O yea, it's a team of undercover best buy employees posting on your complaints to make you look ***. Paraniod much? Whether those other comments were you or not, that last one made you sound like an ***

To all reading this. I (Rtaylor807) only wrote the initial complaint on 99/21/10......all the other post i.e 6 & 7 are not mine.

They are probably Best Buy corporate reputation defenders trying to make those writing legitimate complaints look like fools. Oh well....I guess my trips to best buy will yield more results as i take my time to tell all about my experiences.....should have plenty of listeners with the holiday traffic.

#205243

LOL you sound like a *** who wouldn't read about what you are paying for.

"Stalkholders"? Is Best Buy a corn based company?

#196935

"allows a person to bring their phone back to best (rip off) BUY and if they can not fix it ...they will replace it."

Did you think they repair phones in the back and would say "hey we fixed it"? No duh they have to send it out, and if they can't fix you get a new one.

Everyone wants stuff for free these days.

#195293

Yeah dude, you need to not be a blind *** and just R-E-A-D! Why are you paying for a warranty that you don't understand? You, along with every other *** that likes to sign paperwork or buy warranties without reading, are the easiest to fool.

#194951

Lol, you are the only one acting like a kid. I doubt that the sarcastic person was a kid.

However you act like an eight year old. You spell like an eight year old.

My conclusion you are eight years old. This would explain why you did not understand the policy, because you have the understanding experience of an eight year old.

#194949

Those people at the stalkholder meetings are just as dumb as the people working at BEst Buy, they said I misunderstood the policy. They laughted at me did not take my side.

#194948

Shut up guy behind the plan just shut up and go kill yourself.

Kathy, you ***, why dont you write your own coplaint instead of of posting your complaint in mine. ***.

#194221

Took my lap top in for service, disc drive guide came off, so they had to send it away for about 4 weeks( it really was longer, Holidays and all) when I got it back; the laptop would not boot up. They said it had a virus.

Funny it did not have one when I turned it over to Geeks. Ran virus scan and protection just before they took it over. It was Norton, the one they sold me + plus a second one (AVG). They then kept it for several more

weeks, tried to charge me for the virus they unleashed on my laptop, then when I got it back again the keyboard and mouse would not work.

Finally, some tech slammed one of their diagnostic discs into drive, scrolled around and fixed the problem.

Don't use the service for Best Buy, use a Tech who has proper PC training. :( :( :(

#193785

funny you never took the time to read the plan that you bought.

View more comments (9)
Review
#199475 Review #199475 is a subjective opinion of poster.

Best Buy Sells Inferior Toshiba Laptops

I purchased a Toshiba Satellite laptop from Best Buy and one month later the keys popped off. I had it placed in my rolling computer bag and opened the laptop in a clients office to a mess of keys sitting atop the keyboard. I was able to place the majority back on but several could not be replaced. I contacted Best Buy and was informed that thirty days was up and there was nothing that could be done because the warranty does not cover the keyboard. BEWARE of patronizing Best Buy, they could care less about customer retention, satisfaction, or service.
#205246

It's not Best Buy's fault that Toshiba made a faulty product. You ran the risk of not being covered by BBY when you didn't buy their warranty, so you are stuck with the manufactures warranty. Which is, btw, the people you should be angry with.

#196926

Your best bet is to do this. Call Toshiba and tell them you have a sticky key.

They may ask you if you want to send it in for repair or you send you the keyboard. They may ask you to send the old one back.

I have had Dell and Lenvo send me new keyboard this way many times. If you search on the internet, you should be able to find the best way to get the other keys on if the above doesn't help out.

#193801

maybe you should read your service plan. that would be a great idea. or know that the 30 day return policy is there for almost every company in existance now.

View more comments (2)
Review
#199113 Review #199113 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Loss

BEST BUY THE WORST ELECTRONIC STORE...STILL OPEN!!!

COME ON CONSUMERS, WHY ARE YOU BUYING FROM THESE PEOPLE! THEY ABSOLUTELY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE CUSTOMER. THEY DON'T ABIDE BY THEIR SALES WHICH IS BAIT AND SWITCH ADVERTISING. THEIR EMPLOYEES ARE NOT FAMILIARIZED WITH THE PRODUCTS OR HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE TO PROPERTY DEMONSTRATE. LAZY MANAGERS. SO MANY EMPLOYEES THROUGHOUT THE STORE HUDDLE TOGETHER AND CHAT INSTEAD OF WORKING. IF THEY SELL YOU BAD EQUIPMENT, THEY WILL CHARGE YOU A RESTOCKING FEE OF 15% OF RETAIL PRICE EVEN IF THE PRODUCT IS DEFAULTED! USE BEST BUY TO PLAY VIDEO GAMES, WATCH A SHOW, AND LOOK AT FLOOR SAMPLES. BUY ON AMAZON.........NO SALES TAX + FREE DELIVERY. WILL SAVE YOU $100'S ON A BIG PURCHASE. IN THIS BAD ECONOMY WHY SUPPORT A COMPANY LIKE THIS!!! LET'S PUT EM OUT OF BUSINESS.
#207673

What a couple of *** i*****! Gillette71 do you an actual account of why Best Buy is the worst electronic store?

Lisa, Does the freezer still posp open? Maybe some duct tape will work, Home Depot is running a special on some it comes with a 45 minute warranty.

#190981

QUIT BUYING! Why are we buying from ANYONE.

Just one example more (Athough I could give you several just from my recent experiences): I bought a brand new refigerator from American TV in Jan of '09. The next day I called and told them the freezer posp open constantly. They sent a technician (who rudely claimed to be a Christian) that replaced the seal that WAS NOT bad. Problem not fixed and they refused to replace or fix the issue.

Today, I still own that refrigerator. Problem not resolved even after complaining to BBB. Funny, was under warranty from Frigedaire also. Two more bad organizations.

I QUIT BUYING ANYTHING I don't truly need and they wonder what's wrong with our economy.

I say we TANK the economy and walk off jobs everywhere at once. If we have to suffer, then let the CEOs suffer more.

Review
#198815 Review #198815 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Service
Best Buy Customer Care
Loss

Lost Oven and Failed to Solve Issue in 4 weeks | Best Buy review from Cleveland, Ohio

In May of 2010, I spent $5,000 on home appliances with Best Buy. The sales process was fair but the follow-up was disaster. Extraodinary customer service is only found when there is an event that requires it. Best Buy is soo silo'd that they don't understand how to help or who owns the opportunity to help a customer. Overall they lost my GE Oven and spent 4 weeks trying to track it. I was caught between there store people, logistics/delivery, and their Corproate customer support. Everyone explained to me how this wasn't their problem or how they didn't have access to the right system to help me but NO one wanted to own it. People including store manager's promised to call me back and never did. The only person that seemed to initailly care was Dave who is a director of logistics and even he eventually stopped returning calls and "gave up" on helping. Even after 4 weeks of waiting I find an alternate source and then they made me come into the store to cancel the order. I have never been treated so poorly by an organization especially one that claims to have extraordinary customer service. They are a joke and I will never do business with them again.

Best Buy sucks *** I now do as much of my business and CompUSA. They have more of a selection of products.

I don't have to worry about the staff running the other way when you seek them out for help either. I too have a 42" Insignia and it has thankfully lasted at least almost 4 years. I now get black cloud smears over the left side of my TV shortly after I turn it on. Sometimes it is an annoying grey shaded wide patch almost mid center of my screen.

It seems when the TV is warmed up it suddenly dissappears and everything is fine. I am not even gonna think about any warranty because I know it has expired. I will never buy Insignia again though. Hopefully the next choice I make will be a smarter one.

This was my first ever LCD purchase. You live and you learn I guess.

Best buy sucks!!!!! I made a .10Cent mistake paying of my bill now they are charging me the defered intrest .

I guess they make no mistakes the darned thing is they sent me a bill for .10 cents w/o the intrest the next month and i guess now they got greedy!!! last time i shop there even if i could pay up front bad buisness :( :( :(

best buy sucks the are charging me a defered intrest now for a .!) cent mistake i made paying of my bill

i'll never buy at best buy, would be nice if they tell you about the return policy or have it posted in big letters when u walk in,, i bought a car radio from there, brought it back the next day, told me we have to charge a restocking fee? wtf, i went, put it back on shelf and called my credit card and got all my money back, online is the way i go now, *** with best buy and there policy

#220811

WOW!! Everyone complaining here (except for the lost oven post) is in need of a reality check, you all need to read the contracts you sign, read the return policy before purchase, and stop complaining about nothing! most of you are whining about trivial BS created by your own actions or there lack of.

Best Buy did put Circuit City out of business, they actually bought out some of their locations directly during CC bankruptcy process, 16 stores I believe.

Best Buy also owns the largest electronics retailer in Europe, car phone warehouse, which will eventually turn into Best Buy stores.

Best buy has their challenges, but they are a good company, they are the leader and the largest in their market, they own the largest electronic market share in the North America. BB is also a very young company, they have a remarkable story.

I'll always stick with BEST BUY, 99 out of 100 experiences being good are good odds, one or two screw ups will happen anywhere. I've had problems at BMW, Rolex, and at McDonalds, but I still understand that perfection is just a word and imperfection is a reality in life and so many people being a part of the puzzle. :) :) :)

#219439

I've been at Best Buy for over two years now and I've worked both sales and warehouse. I can't speak for other stores, but my store is constantly driving customer service in to our heads.

And we don't just put random tags and act like they were a big hit and you just missed the last one! we dont have the room for it!

we need space for new product. And yes CC did struggle because of online stores but CC went under because of corprates bad financial decisions as well.

Brought my 1 yr 4 mo laptop into Best Buy. Was told mother board blew and not worth fixing.

Mother board was $500 and didn't know how many hundreds for labor. Advised me to buy a new computer. Looked at computers and wanted to sell me computer with their super duper warranty for five years. Warranty was 2/3 price of computer and when I said it would be more practical just to buy a new computer, I got the usual story about the man whose computer blew after four years and he got a brand new computer.

Total cost was $1,300 and since my computer was just over one year old, I really didn't want to buy a new one. Besides, they really pushed the warranty and I thought the warranty might be for five years, but is Best Buy for five years. Stopped at a little computer fix it store on my way home - $185. for the mother board and $100 for labor.

Picked it up, works fine. Will stay away from Best Buy

I love going to Best Buy - I have'nt bought anything from them in seven or so years due to the REFUND policy of getting an in store credit instead of cash when you try to return certain things. So now days I stop in and hang out around the camera department and when I see someone looking at a higher end camera I point out the INSTORE CREDIT REFUND bs to them and smile as they walk out the door...... : ) Ah I remember telling the store manager he would regret not giving me my money back..

I went through a similar customer service problem with getting credit for an extended warranty on a returned product...talked to people who ended up transferring me until I ended up back on the main menu at square 1. Was even told a few times it was credited when it was not because during the almost 3 months of calls and certified mail forms to get the credit, I spoke to a lot of people and some claimed it was done, but then each monthly credit card statement showed it hadn't.

The last call was the one where I ended up on main menu after being connected to 4 different people and spending a lot of time on hold. So I just hung up and called my credit card for a charge back, guess I should have done that in the beginning.

I'd never buy an extended warranty from them via the internet because apparently if I bought at the store they would have just done it on the spot. What a huge pain in the a!!

No companies are perfect ,but so many problems stem from customers who pay no attention to deatils when making a purchase ,most are rude and had rather act all self important answering their cell phones or making calls ...then blame the associates for incorrect address info , incorrect contact numbers and even wrong selection ,maybe take some responsibility for yourself sometime....nah that won't happen!

#206996

At Best Buy, I purchased a new HD TV last year, and I paid for the television set, along with a delivery fee(since it is large,) and then an additional "set-up" fee, since my home theatre system is too sophisticated for me & my husband to successfully set-up; unfortunately, the cashier failed to inform me that I would be charged an additional $265 payable to their "Geek Squad" technician when he arrived at my home!! Very unprofessional, too!!

And I wonder, what the heck was I even charged INSIDE THE STORE for a "set-up" fee??

Best Buy is the Worst Buy idea; And whatever happened to the "Best" Retail Stores from many years ago? (I was just a little curious about that, too.) Thanks.

#205249

Dan T is right, as a brick and mortar set up, CC went downhill because of all the competition from online sources. But, while NewEgg and Tiger Direct are good places, they are not nearly big enough to matter in the overall picture as of right now. Walmart and Amazon.com are the major competitors taking the market share

#204141

@ #7. Best Buy did NOT put Circuit city out of business.

They are no way good enough competition to run Circuit City out of business.

It was internet stores like New Egg and Tiger Direct that did it. And notice that Circuit City is now circuitcity.com, and does a thriving business.

#203140

Best Buy used to be the only place I bought electronics. After a horrible experience with Best Buy's in-house Geek Squad, they have forever lost my business.

It was actually a very good thing, as now I have saved several hundred dollars by purchasing from reputable companies through Amazon.com.

Best Buy deserves to go under. There are so many good companies that deserve my business and act like they want it through good and honest service.

#203007

Ever notice they NEVER have the "bargain" item(s) in stock.

I frequently stop in for blank mini-DVD's at many places like best buy, staples, etc..

ALL of them have a spot on the shelf for the 10-pack or 3-pack or basically the "cheapest ones", but they are ALWAYS sold out.

Staples does this too- Stop in for a HDD or Video card (PC replacement hardware), you will find the best deals are ALWAYS out of stock. They want you to believe there was a "run" on the item.. like they JUST sold out, but those items are NEVER in stock. Walk MArt, best but, staples, they ALL do it. I hope they choke.

#196519

Man, I thought I was all alone when it came to poor service at Best Buy. They have a price match guarantee for any in stock item and I found a $45 flash at Ritz Camera that Best Buy was selling for $60.

The manager gave me some song and dance about specialty items etc... and refused to honour the guarantee.

That was nearly ten years ago and I have never set foot in a Best Buy since. Circuit City and CompUSA both sell online and their service and products are reliable.

#194738

So glad to hear I'm not the only one. Purchased a $1200 washer dryer 4 months ago but had to return on delivery unfortunately.

4 months later, they acknowledge the item was returned but cannot figure out why I haven't been refunded. They blame everyone including the 3rd party manufacturer who delivered it, and the silo'd division called Best Buy Direct, who is supposed to handle the refunds. They keep saying it's a high priority and they will follow up, but never do. I am ready to file suit.

I have never done this. Any advice?

#194665

Best Buy continues to refuse to cancel my order even though the oven hasn't shown up and I had to go out and buy a replacement else where. I tried the credit card company as I bought it on a Best Buy card as part of the promotion and since I am beyond 90 days of the original purchase they can't help me dispute it.

Therefore I technically still owe the money for an oven that I don't have.

Now that is customer service. Thanks Best Buy and Chase!

#194204

I bought a wi fi scanner to find to have a broken glass. When returned within two hours I was told I had broken it. H.P., the manufacturer promptly replaced the machine and advised me on how to file legal action against Best Buy.

We go to court October 28th.

Film at 11:00

#194165

Best Buy refused to sell me a $500 computer, so I went to Staples where they happily sold me a different $500 computer. I know Best Buy put out of business their biggest competitor Circut City, but just know there are other places out there that will actually SERVE a customer.

View more comments (19)
Review
#198580 Review #198580 is a subjective opinion of poster.

BEST BUY just lost another customer

On 12/1/09 we purchased a Panasonic 50" Plasma TV (also purchased a costly 4 year warranty plan); six months later TV crashed; Best Buy did not have "Geek Squad" service in our area (23 miles away) and a 2nd party picked up the TV for repair. To date (September 2, 2010) I still do not have my TV back. Over that last few months and after SEVERAL CALLS to various departments of Best Buy I spoke with Charlie and Supervisor Stacy in Customer Relations Dept (53 minutes total wait time) who were although very nice people were of no help at all other than to tell me that they are still trying to work with Panasonic for repair or replacement. Note: Stacy also informed me my Best Buy warranty had to be used in order to replace my TV that I would have to purchase a SEPARATE warranty plan (another $500??)- yeah right!! They just lost me as a customer!!! It should be noted that I've spent many many hours of my own time contacting each party involved instead of receiving the customer service that Best Buy claims to provide.

Do you really think buying the T.V. from ANYWHERE else would have really changed anything?

All retail are the same. Doesn't matter where you buy it from.

Review
#196847 Review #196847 is a subjective opinion of poster.

Computor repair | Best Buy review from Atlanta, Georgia

carried laptop to bestbuy to be fixed, didnt fix what was wrong with it. took it back they couldnt fix it. there answer was to bring it back a third time, let them reboot it. i paid 140.00 for them not to fix it.if i wanted it rebooted i can do it myself. asked for my money back, would not give it back. will take it somewhere else next time.will pay off my bestbuy card and not spent anymore money there.they have good products there,but they need to train there repair tecs better.if they wanted my busness they should work with me instead of treating me as if i dont know anything. roger clements

this is way I would go to a small shop ( I used to manage one). you can speak directly to the tech or the owner.

as for laptops did you know that many large places like this don't take laptops apart and fix them?

they send them out. We were a very small shop but did all of our own repairs.

first off it's COMPUTER.

Then if they suck soooo bad like you say then why were YOU not able to fix it? How can you judge a service as being bad when you can't even say what is wrong with it in the first place?

Please take your computer out in to the street and smash it. You are obviously too *** to own or run one.

Review
#196807 Review #196807 is a subjective opinion of poster.