Filter by rating :
filters

Best Buy- lies about service, then says buy a new product

I purchased a camera at Best Buy a year ago. I was told by the sales person that if I buy the Geek Squad warranty I would be covered for any reason for four years. He also stated that all of the repairs are done in house. I fell for both lies. My camera's auto focus stopped working. I took it to the Santa Rosa, CA store where I purchased it. I was told they ship them out and I would have it back in 4-6 weeks! Since then, they have sent my camera off, received it back, discovered that no one had looked at it and sent it away again. It will be a month on Tuesday and STILL no one has repaired it. The technician got it yesterday 04-15-11. I dropped it off 03-19-11. The Geek squad agent I spoke with last week told me that I should buy a new camera! Isn't that why I bought the warranty? I spoke with a manager who also told me to buy another camera and if I wanted he "Might" be able to credit me back for my old camera, without the restocking fee. What a guy. Never buy from Best Buy unless you have done your research. Don't get the warranty. Never go through Geek Squad. I will be telling everyone I meet. I have the email the girl sent about the mix up. I will be happy to post that also.

I am absolutely disgusted with the whole operation. My poor husband spent $300 on a Black Tie warranty which was to cover everything from head to toe.

When it malfunctioned, of course that didn't cover a virus, only the hard drive. I spent another $200 to cover three computers for viruses. Of course, I was called to say I needed to buy some Disk from the manufacturer. I said wasn't that covered by the Black Tie but no, it didn't.

The second computer I took in for a virus problem was not covered as I again needed to buy a disk from the manufacturer.

I gave up and will NEVER go back to Best Buy. We were really taken by this whole outfit.

Don 't worry I will help you spread the word because I have been dealing with the exact same senareo. I have told all my family friends and coworkers and after my nightmare not one of them will shop there

View more comments (1)

Unopened Wireless Return | Best Buy review from Chicago, Illinois

Best Buy would not let me return a wireless router because it was 30 days past the date of purchase. Unopeded still in plastic. OK I get that. So give me store credit right? NO. Can't do that either because they decided to discontinue this item. Unbeliveable. I despise this store as it is and this just made me livid. Not only will I not go in the store again I will be sure to announce to the world how much they suck and their customer service skills are pathetic. Managers don't give a *** and they are all 20 something years old with no skills dealing with the public.
smedrik

You had 30 days to decide whether or not you wanted the item. A month is more than enough. Return policies are apply to EVERYBODY.

pov9596

Your story doesn't add up. If it were 30 days past the sale date then they would have returned it because the return policy is 30 days.

So how old was it really?

Just because you are young doesn't mean you are incompetent. Get a life.

Go to Wal-Mart and see if 30 days actually means 32.

Go to Target and see if 90 days means 94.

When you find out that 30 days means 30 days, I hope you realize how much of a diva you are.

smedrik

I am sorry you don't think a written and posted return policy applies to you, however it does.

You had requested that the bend the rules for you and approve a transaction which would have cost the company money.

Feel free to call the associates every name in the book, however you were the one in the wrong.

Loss
Best Buy discontinued service of my 8 month old item.
Best Buy discontinued service of my 8 month old item.
I just returned from Best Buy Union Square in NYC where I purchased an EZip1000 last August 2010. I've the receipt images attached. I'm very very upset because I purchased this item there because it would be easily serviceable and batteries easily purchased. The...

I agree with Simon. They failed to fulfill the service contract. They did not fail to provide you with the product. A refund of the service contract is fair.

Also, it should be noted that they did not "mislead" you or sell you the scooter "under false pretenses." It is impossible for a store employee to predict the corporation's inventory two years into the future.

Also, do you expect to get a full refund on a non-defective scooter you've apparently used frequently? Another unrealistic expectation.

As an anonymous poster on the Internet who claims to have a law background, I'd advise you not to waste money pursuing a legal resolution.

View more comments

Don't purchase an Ipod from Best Buy, go straight to Apple

I purchased an Ipod Nano 6th Generation, April 14, 2011 and just finished setting up my playlist when I dropped the Ipod 3 to 4 feet onto my hardwood floor and the screen broke. Best Buy said they could not give me another Ipod & I should have gotten the extended warranty. I never used the Ipod. They said there was nothing they would do. I tried the Apple Store, located at the mall. The store looked up my registration up and gave me a new Ipod and I purchased a nice rubber case that would protect the Ipod. REGISTER YOU PURCHASE

My comments absolutely have a place here. Just because you don't like them, doesn't mean ***.

I'm proving a point Y.M., even though you're too big of a *** to see it. I think the OP and my comment are both equally ridiculous. You shouldn't be able to buy things, break them, and expect an exchange.

It's nonsense. It's nice that Apple does that, but you can't expect other stores to do it.

I completely agree. Apple has a terrific return policy and they are always more than happy to satisfy the consumer. Simon (above comment)has ridiculous sarcasm and that really has no place here.

I know what you mean. I bought a brand new car and drove it off a cliff.

I returned it to the dealer and they wouldn't give me a brand new car! The nerve!

View more comments (2)

Whirlpool Range (Model WFE381LVQ) | Best Buy review from Victoria, Texas

Purchased on Sept.27,2010 at Best Buy, Victoria, Texas...Oven would not heat properly at temp. you set for baking. Technicians have been out 5 times since then & tells me everything is working fine..Took pictures of food baked to prove it was still raw in middle, overdone on edges in front & not cooked enough on back of food..Asked for a new range,but was told no from Whirlpool mfg., but range is still under warranty..Will charge for any other service call..changed control board, sensor and still not baking properly. When setting temperature at required setting for that food, it is not baking at the temperature that was set. Also talked with Best Buy and they will not do anything either. No more Best Buy or Whirlpool in my home!!!

Hi my name is Kyle and I am a representative of Whirlpool. I am sorry to learn of the issue you are having with your Whirlpool appliances.

If there is anything that I can do please reach out to me via Facebook (Whirlpool) or Twitter (WhirlpoolCare). Or contact us directly via e-mail NAR_Customer_Solutions@Whirlpool.com.

Insignia tv bought at best buy 37" no good

I awoke to the smell of smoke after dozing off while using my oxygen. my three year old 37" insignia tv screen was black, and smoke was pouring out the top of it. I of course immediately unplugged it and took it out of the house. I called insignia, giving them a list of numbers from the label on back of the tv. They told me there was a recall, referred me to best buy who sent me a box to send it in to them for a voucher for $500. Turns out the recall was for the 26" model only. When I asked why I couldn't expect some recompense for the 37" having the exact same problem I was simply told "sorry". The local Best Buy where I bought the set was also "sorry" I hadn't bought the 4 yr. warranty.

Sounds like Best Buy handled the situation correctly. If there is not a recall on your model TV, there isn't anything they can do after 3 years. I realize it would be better for you if they would buy you a new TV, but that isn't going to happen.

Review
#232001 Review #232001 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Loss

Sound is bad, sent it out no tv for weeks | Best Buy review from Norfolk, Virginia

The insignia 26" tv has a stuttering audio problem. Because it is intermittent the Geeks could not replicate it. I asked for a replacement. They would not honor my request an said that they would send it back to Insignia. I await their response. This is on warranty and I expected Best Buy to honor that warranty. I was told that if I had purchases a plan, I would have had better service. Why should I spend more than $100 on a service plan when I was told that the Insignia has 2 year Warranty. I recommend that Best Buy be avoided.

What do you expect them to do if they can't replicate the problem? Just take your word for it?

If they did that, everyone would just go in every couple of years and get another TV. I can't believe after that you still asked for a replacement and act surprised when you're denied.

Get a clue.

Your warranty allows for the TV to be sent for repairs, not to get a brand new one off of the shelf. Best Buy has handled this situation correctly and no other store would have handled it any different, so I recommend that you give up shopping altogether.

Review
#231966 Review #231966 is a subjective opinion of poster.

Best Buy = Worst Buy

I bought a computer at Best Buy and declined all additional stuff they were trying to sell (geek squad etc..). The computer was at $699 and that's what I paid with the Best Buy credit card. 1 week later, I returned the computr. The CD ROM was not working. Whn I returned the computer, I realized that the sales rep at discounted the computer by $19.99 to add the geek squad for $19.99 so that the price was the same than what I expected but I had to pay for a monthly fee for the geek squad. The Mission Valley manager refused to reimburse me the $19.99 for the geek squd even though I returned the computer (I bought a Sony online instead) and even though I had not ordered that service in the first place. 2 months later, I still have not been reimbursed the $19.99!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After talking several times to supervisors on the phone, making a phone complaint. I was already told 3 times that the reimbursement has been issue yet the credit card has still a balance of $19.99 that I need to pay if I don't want to be charged interest! BEST BUY=WORST BUY. Will never buy there anymore. Ah, on the phone, I was told that the store manager should have never refused to rimburse the computer and not the Geek Squad S--- that I never used or ordered!

You actually were given for free Geek Squad 6mos Tech Support. IT is free, it charges on the receipt 19.99 but the 19.99 is discounted from the computer. Their is no monthly fee, so I have no idea what you are complaining about.

Totally agreed with "Best Buy = Worst Buy". I just bought a gaming keyboard that I wanted to price match with another company because they were like $100 cheaper than what Best Buy was selling.

Long story short, they wouldn't price match it because of some things, yet they have done it in the past. I sent them an angry letter and all they can send back is a reply full of spelling errors. What do these people think they are doing. Who is Best Buy really hiring?

4 year olds as customer service representatives?

Now, I got to wait for the keyboard and waste time going to a Best Buy to return a $300 keyboard.

Waste my time, and my life trying to deal with these guys. I guess the moral of this is: NEVER BUY FROM BEST BUY IS THEY ARE INCOMPETENT FOOLS.

This is exactly why you proof read the screen before you swipe your card...

Hi, we just bought 2 computers from Best Buy, they were top notch... of course, this was in Augusta, GA.

and so I am not sure where you are - but I can say our receipt was VERY detailed and we checked it thoroughly before we left the store, because we did buy all the bells and whistles (two kids = bells and whistles, ha)... I am sorry you had bad reps at the store, I think this is an exception rather than the rule.

Bestbuy has crapy customer service | Best Buy review from Winnipeg, Manitoba

My Xbox 360 overheats 2 time,the second time i go to touch the system and ouch it is really hot now i can smell the xbox burning inside so i said i will get everything ready in the morning, so the morning comes and i unhook my HDMI cable and its all melted inside the 360 :( , now tuesday night i took it in to Bestbuy and the woman tells me that she thinks that i will be seeing a brand new system so i am thinking cool cool, now today i get a phone call telling me my system is at Bestbuy now i am thinking, so i get to bestbuy and the woman starts telling me that the people that where working on my system said there is nothing worng wiht it, now i ask the woman if they even opened the xbox 360 and she said they did not, now just that HDMI input thing is Burnt now imagen what the internal are gona be like, so hear i am pissed off, the costomer service did not want to even help me at all, i ended up buying a xbox 360 250 gig from Game Stop they where nice .

People always say stores should "step up to the plate" Translation: Fix my out of warranty things for free or give me free merchandise. Nope, not going to fly.

"best buy dose suck big time i am never gona buy anything from them again ."

My apologies. No way are you 10 years old. You are probably more like 5.

well my HDMI cord did melt and it did overheat 2 times, best buy dose suck big time i am never gona buy anything from them again .

And BB has crapy support and never steps up to the plate!

What are you, 10 years old?

I've never heard of a 360 melting on the inside. I think you're full of ***.

Managers unfit to run the store | Best Buy review from Jersey City, New Jersey

East Brunswick, NJStore sold me broken item,asked me to come in and place order for replacement, when visited store, manager was pissed to come out of the office so she didn't perform the exchange, asked me to leave the store because insisted. when called store manager,he refused to come to the phone. told him I know CEO Brian Dunn, he hang up the phone. went to different store and exchanged product. Since, i have retuned any Best Buy item I could and will never shop BestBuy again. Oh, my calls to Brian Dunn went unanswered. ASK their own employees, they tell you not to shop there.

I Managed retail stores for over 20 years. There are many unethical practices that go on and upper managers are well aware of it but deny it.

In Sales, it’s all about the numbers and profit margin. Extended warranty in additional services are the most profitable products retailers can sell and the more you sell, the better you look and the sooner you are promoted. THIS IS A SAD FACT OF RETAIL.

Simon might disagree with this, when a sales person gives you one price on a product and you look at your receipts and see 2items but your total is what you were quoted, that’s unethical practice. This practice is called bait and switch, in many states, this act is punishable by law.

If your sales person “packed” or tacked on additional service without your knowledge, you can certainly report that to your better business bureau and DA office. WORST BUY is best known for this, Black Tie………

Simon, just like the rest of you Worst Buy Managers, you judge customers based on their grammar and perhaps the color of skin and accent as well.

Yes, I do have Black hair and dark skin. But I can teach you proper English.

best buy managers are a joke

Most customers arnt trouble until they have to deal with long waiting or unsatisfactory service! I had a best buy manager put his chin and chest in my husbands face after waiting to talk to a supervisor for 45 min. Lucky for him his manager came out and helped us and was quite easy to deal with so sometimes its the employee thats a problem.

I have worked in retail and customer service far to many years. The one thing I can tell you is that if the manager needs to come out and if you start claiming to know the CEO you are a problem customer.

I have never had issue returning or exchanging at best buy, however I tend to be polite and patient.

I am sure your buddy Brian would appreciate you bad mouthing his company on the internet.

If you know Brian Dunn, why did your phone calls go unanswered? Could it be you're a lying sack of ***?

Why should the manager have to come out and deal with you? He pays employees to tell customers they can't exchange the item they broke. It sounds like you weren't smart enough to understand what no means.

Unfit to run the store? Judging by your grammar, you are unfit to run a lemonade stand, so who made you the almighty? I'm sure you not shopping there is a win-win for everyone.

View more comments (6)