Filter by rating :
filters

Best buy cellphone insurance

I purchased my verizon cell phone from best buy july 2010 with the insurance plan for 9.99 a month. They had my credit card information so they could automatically deduct the 9.99 from my account monthly, I received a call around june of this year stating that they had a 'glitch' in the system and they hadn't been deducting the monthly payment. I could update my card info and not be backcharged for the months that weren't billed. I called and set up the payment to be deducted from my debit card. I had the 9.99 deducted, as well as an additonal 9.99 and 19.98 on the same day under 3 seperate transactions. I noticed the withdrawls and immediately contacted the customer service number that had originally called me. They said it was another 'glitch' and that they would have my money refunded within 7-10 days. This was on june 22nd. I have since contacted the same customer service number 2 more times. Now they tell me it will take 1-2 billing cycles for my money to be refunded, and have apoligized but offered nothing to rectify the situation in any way. Today was my most recent phone call, and the woman was hardly sympthatetic and simply said that they were working on it and everyone was waiting on refunds or rebates. I find it quite disturbing that a corporation that prides themselves in 'customer service' can do nothing to actually service the customer except apologize for yet another mistake.

@misleading

it is an insurance plan, and no I did not go back and check to see when it stopped being deducted, because when they called to explain their 'computer glitch' not charching my card, they said if I chose to continue coverage they would not be back charging me for months that they didn't deduct for.

the same has happened to me, i upgraded phones and they said they would cancel the insurance on the old phones then re ran my credit card to put the insurance on the new phones, also when i first purchased the insurance on the old phones i was told that with they're plan unlike sprints plan that if my phone broke they would replace it with a brand new phone out of the box not a refurbished phone like sprint does whitch when my screen got busted this was not the case, they sent my phone out gave me a peice of *** loaner phone and when my evo came back 5 days later it was a refurbished phone, now i've been paying over $20 a month on 2 phones for insurance thats not worth a *** because the sales rep was a lying SOB

It's not an insurance plan! There's no deductible.

Also, did you check to see when it stopped deducting? Maybe it charged you so much at once because it didn't charge for for a few months.

You are dumb enough to fall for the rip off insurance plan, you gave them full access to your account, you let them make false charges against your account, you don't call your bank and have them do a chargeback, and now you're playing innocent, helpless victim?

Sigh...(eye roll)

View more comments (3)

Best Buy = misleads consumer = false presentation

Best buy seriously misleads the consumer with "bundling" products. They put products (bundled together) on the shelf, have a "price" underneath to make the consumer believe what you see is what you pay for (at shelf price). ABSOLUTELY NO information anywhere near the product to inform you that the above is not the case. So here we go with our daughter to buy a birthday gift. What a great deal we thought (not knowing to much about Xbox etc), for $199 we get, an additional game, cabling and a control !!!!! What a great deal. Until you get to the cashier and your total amount to be paid is just short of $500. I had to dissapoint my child, and we had to void some of the items to bring us down to at least $400 (still $100 over my budget). Their false advertising of product/price definately brought many tears to a birthday girl and has soured my experience to provide my child with a GREAT gift, that she has waited over 3 years for. BEST BUY.......YOU STINK........YOU HAVE DEVIOUS WAYS OF MISLEADING THE CONSUMER. YOU SHOULD BE BROUGHT TO JUSTICE ....YOU MIGHT HAVE MADE THE TOP 100 LIST ..... BUT YOU CANNOT BE PROUD OF THAT ..... YOU CHEATED YOUR WAY TO GET THERE!!!!!!

I just left Best Buy #286 and am very very angry. I was told 2 days ago while purchase a laptop & software, that the Kodak printer was on sale for $49(it had the sign too!)

and that if I took the coupon on the shelf, and brought an old printer in to recycle, that the printer would be free. Well, when I got there, the sign was gone!! The store manager disbelieved me, and told me that if was never on sale. I named the salesperson, and asked him to check with him--he refused.

He basically told me too bad!

Very Very dissatisfied and sick of their sneaky tactics! I will never set foot in their stores again!

Okay how did they cheat you? They have the unit it's self a base price and then they have additional things you are probably going to need if you didnt already have a unit.

Not everthing comes in the box that you will need to get set up otherwise you would see the higher price tag and think of buying her another present anyways. The dont package it all the box because who needs 20 of the same cable?> Research!

Service
Best Buy Cashier
Best Buy offers great specials and sale prices sometimes offered in "Bundles" then refuses to give a raincheck because one of the items is not available. This has happened to me twice. Most recently (July 2011) Samsung 46" HDTV on sale with free Blue Ray player and...

Thats so ***. You could easily order the tv and have it delivered to your home or shipped to the store.

You still would have gotten the bundle. Any other normal person would have used this option.

if you were willing to wait with a raincheck for one to come in, why wouldnt you wait for a delivery? Makes noe sense.

Stuck us with a lemon | Best Buy review from Los Angeles, California

On 11/17/08 we purchased an HP laptop computer along with a 2 year warranty. on 11/01/09 we took it in because it would not boot up. After more than a month we got it back only to learn it was still not fixed. The computer was sent back in for a "re-do". The motherboard, cpu fan, cpu and tc had been replaced. Mind you when the unit went in for service it still had the original stickers on it and was in excellent condition. When we got it back the second time the stickers were gone and it had a really bad scratch on it. I requested they replace the computer but was told they could not unless it had been sent in more than 4 times. We requested it be sent back and fixed. It was now January 2010. In November 2010 our warranty expired. Now it is July 2011 and again we are unable to boot up the computer. Bestbuy informed us the warranty has expired they can send it in but we will have to pay for the repairs. So we now have a laptop less than 3 years old that is a piece of ***! We basically told them it should have been replaced a long time ago and we would not pay to have it fixed. Told Bestbuy we would no longer be shopping in their store. They really could care less.

You need to remember 3 years is like 60 for a laptop. It's probably time to buy a new one anyway.

A 2 year warranty is for 2 years. After the 2 years, it is your responsibility.

Yea, I had the same problem a while back. I bought a laptop that kept over heating, and took it back over and over again because I had the warranty. They said the same thing about needing over 4 repairs. Its quite funny because their repair services mean sending it back to the manufacturer and getting refurbished parts.

After bringing it to best buy for the fifth repair, best buy said that the manufacturer wouldn't replace it and I would need to buy a new laptop.

Don't blame Best Buy for a bad laptop, but blame them for bad service. I will never buy another Toshiba, but I found ASUS quite awesome at performance and no break downs.

:zzz Anti Simon

Do not buy Best Buy Black Tie Insurance

Replacement of my laptop under my black tie protection plan that I purchased was not honored. I dropped off my laptop at the American Fork, UT store after if quit working.. it just would not turn on. After a week or so I received an automated call that it was ready for pick up but I had never even been given a repair quote so I was curious about the repair cost and called in. I was informed that they decided it would be cheaper to replace than to repair, so I was not given the option to repair it, but since I had black tie coverage it would be replaced for free under my black tie protection plan. I informed the gentleman that I had since moved to California and wanted to know how I should proceed with the replacement (i.e. could I have someone in Utah come in and take care of it or what?). He said he would call me back and let me know. He never called back. So, about a week or so later I called again and went through the whole story again and a new guy looked up my account and verified yes I was eligible for replacement and he said I could go into a store in California and they would be able to look up my account and help me with the replacement. So I went into a Best Buy in Elk Grove, CA and they helped me to look up the specs but when I went to make a purchase they said there was no credit on my account for a replacement. So the next day I called the Utah store again. This time I was told that although I was eligible for the replacement, the service center had made an error and had processed the paperwork wrong and had actually sent the laptop back to the store instead of processing it the way a replacement should have been processed, so that's why there was not a credit on my account for the replacement. He said he would need to escalate the situation through management to get the laptop sent back to the service center to have the paperwork processed correctly and he would call me back. He never called back. So, about a week or so later I called in again to find out what was going on. This time I wrote the name down of who I talked to, Shelly, (I think one of the previous people was Jason, but not positive). Anyway, Shelly listened to my whole story again and looked up my account and verified everything that had previously been told to me... yes I was eligible for replacement, yes the service center had processed it wrong, and yes she would call me back as soon as it was straightened out. She never called back. So about a week or so later, I called again. By this time I was getting kind of irritated as I went through my story yet again and asked to talk with a manager. The gal turned the call over to Shelly again who now informed me that the laptop would not be replaced under my black tie protection plan because it had water damage. 1. Why did it take 5 weeks and multiple people who verified that I was eligible for replacement to suddenly come up with a reason to avoid covering me? 2. I never had my computer around water, but even if there were humid enough circumstances to give indications of any kind of moisture contact as they claim, I was of the understanding that the protection plan that was sold to me would cover any malfunction of my computer. I was working on it just fine in bed one night and the next morning it wouldn't turn on. There was no water anywhere in or around my bed. After being told by multiple representatives of the company over the course of 5 weeks that I was eligible for replacement of my laptop under my black tie coverage, and after believing that was why I paid for the protection in the first place, they suddenly "found" a reason why they wouldn't have to cover my laptop. Don't bother buying the insurance... your equipment will break before the warranties expire regardless, but taking on the added expense of buying insurance that they won't honor is just an additional waste of money.

me and my wife replaced our phones many times with this black tie with no problemsshe even dropped it in her coffee and they replaced it.

my experience with Best Buy's Black Tie program is that they will find a way to avoid honoring the insurance coverage. They will "create" a reason why the accidental damage will not be covered by them.

My advice, if you have to buy from Best Buy, then stay away from the Black Tie program.

You will come out better if you buy through Amazon.com or even Walmart. At least honor their extended warranty programs.

63 | Best Buy review from Ponchatoula, Louisiana

From: Henry MarechalContact Info: Cell# 504-613-8106Home# 985-467-0691E Mail Addresshmcajun@charter. net Date: 7-12-11To: BBB and Best Buy US HeadquartersSubject: Second Complaint with Poor Service, lack of Knowledge by Geek Squad Personnel and Problems with the TV Model# Samsung 63" Class 8000 series 1080P 3D Purchased: 10-24-10Installed in Home: Est. 1st to 2nd week of 12-10TV Model# Samsung 63" Class 8000 series 1080P 3DSerial # Z1ZY3CKZB00069PFinanced thru Best Buy and Payed off early this year. History: 3-16-11 thru 5-26-11Case turned over the BBB Case# 57197431 Business InfoName: Best Buy Stores, LP-US HeadquartersBBB Member: YesContact: Customer CareAddress: Richfield, Mn 55423-3645Phone: 888-237-8289Fax: 952-238-3048Contact person was: Mr. Damon Gammon Sr. Executive Resolution Specialist. Current Issues with the TV:TV does not play in Full Screen for Non HD as it has always done.TV Comes on during the night after shutting it off. What I want to see done this time.Replace the TV with same. Geek squad 7-12-11I place a call to report problems again with the Samsung 63" Plasma 3D HD. TV has come on during the night by itself and we are unable to view the full screen mode with watching non HD. After the TV was repaired back in April of this year we could watch full screen either HD or non HD.In the manual the screen is to be set to 16.9 to view full screen for non HD. Pay close attention to the time I once again had to deal with Geek Squad personnel not knowing what to do or just to give me a round around. I spent $598 dollars on their Black Tie Protection Plan that is clearly a SCAM. (5:11PM Spoke to # 1 Agent Mike)Gave my address, name, phone number and what I was calling about.He had to transfer me to the TV Repair for set up service. (5:15PM Spoke to # 2 Agent Shawn)Again I gave him my address, name, phone number and what I was calling about.Explained the problems, cannot view full screen in non HD and TV comes on by itself during the night.Agent Shawn set up service with Sherwood TV and Appliances for 7-14-11 between the hours of 12 and 5PM. He did say the TV would need to come off the wall for servicing. Well here I go again because Agent Shawn transferred me to another department to set this up. (5:30PM Spoke to # 3 Agent Stefun)Again I gave him my address; name, phone number and what I was call about.I explained to him the Sherwood TV and Appliances would need the TV removed from the wall for servicing. I also explained the Geek Squad would need to be here the same day so after removing the TV and let's say it was repaired they could hang the TV back up. If this did not get done I would need to reschedule another visit from Geek Squad to re-hang the TV. You can already see what I'm going through just to get it down.Agent put me on hold. He came back on the line to tell me there would be a $ 99 dollar fee. I told him I purchased the Black Tie Protection Plan for 4years at $ 598 and was not going to pay anything. He puts me back on hold and a little while later tells me he needs to transfer to his boss. (5:45PM Spoke to # 4 Agent Jess)Guess what? Agent Jess that was suppose to bee Agent Stefuns boss must not have been. I had to give him my address, name, phone number and what I was calling about. I explained it all over again about removing the TV off the wall that Geek Squad originally installed day one and the $ 99 dollar fee. Agent Jess proceeds to tell me he don't have enough stroke to reverse the $ 99 dollar fee that we should not even be talking about seeing I purchased the Black Tie Protection Plan. Guess what I get transferred to another agent. (6:11PM Spoke to # 5 Agent Sarah)Guess what? I had to give her my address, name, phone number and what I was calling about.I tell Sarah what I was calling about. She pulled up my records and she was amazed that first starting with Why Have they not replaced this TV do to all the calls and service that is in the Data Base, Don't Pay the 99 Dollars because that was covered in the protection plan. I finally found someone that seems to know what they were talking about and she understood the protection plan the same way I did. Never the less I was finally transferred to the Installation department. (6:25PM Spoke to # 6 Agent Natasha)Guess what? I had to give her my address, name, phone number and what I was calling about.At this point I'm trying to explain to her that Sherwood and Geek Squad both need to be here on the same day same time to remove and re-hang the TV. She transfers me to the another agent but I did get a work order # 10713459 to remove the TV but still not set up for the same day. (6:40PM Spoke to # 7 Agent Trisha)Guess what? I had to give her my address, name, phone number and what I was calling about.At this point I'm trying to explain to her that Sherwood and Geek Squad both need to be here on the same day same time to remove and re-hang the TV.At this point and had finally had enough. Ask her to transfer me to someone that could authorize the REPLACEMENT TV. She told me to contact the store I purchased the TV from for replacing. I will do this on 7-13-11 to see what reply I get but I'm sure they will tell me to call Geek Squad. (7:05PM Spoke to # 8 Agent Mingo)Guess what? I had to give her my address, name, phone number and what I was calling about.I explained the entire case from even back with when I turned my first complaint over to BBB Case # 57197431. Agent Mingo set the removal up for 7-19-11 and he was going to contact Sherwood TV and Appliances for also 7-19-11. Agent Mingo did call me back and said that Repair shop had closed but he would call them on 7-13-11 to set up for service on 7-19-11 same day as Geek Squad. Reason for turning this over for support from BBB is to show what Best Buy and Geek Squads service is poor, personnel are not knowable about how the Black Tie Protection Plans work, the run around you have to go through and as a consumer I have to do some of their leg work for service I paid for. I'm requesting support from the BBB to help in no longer fighting the ongoing issues with the product and support in having this TV Replaced with New. (7-13-11)No call from Agent Mingo. # 7 Agent Trisha. As per Agent 7 she told me to call the store I purchased the unit and request a new TV. The below is an e mail I sent to The Sales Person That Sold Me This Product (Mr. Stephen. Please call me at 504 613-8106, Long story short, The TV has been a living *** with problems. In speaking with Geek Squad Agent Trisha yesterday she tells me to contact the store that I purchased the unit and have you all to replace it). Please make sure you call me as I'm going to turn the case over to Damon Gammon Sr. Executive Resolution Specialist at 7601 Penn Ave S Bldg D6, Richfield, Mn 55423-3645, Phone Number 888-237-8289 and also for the second time the BBB. Tell us how we're doing. View: Mobile | Web | Español Dear Henry Marechal, On 07/12/2011, you contacted Best Buy and received assistance from Jessie, one of our Geek Squad Agents. As part of Best Buy's commitment to excellence, we want to make sure we met your needs during that conversation. Would you please take a minute to answer a few questions to let us know how we did? Please click the button below to begin this survey. Take Survey NOTE: Please respond within five days so that you can provide timely feedback to us. This survey will be available for only 5 days. Thank you for your valuable help! Best Buy Customer Support I received the above e mail last night. Look it up because I replied to it. Take the time to read. (7-14-11)Day two and no phone calls from #7 Agent Mingo. I contacted Sherwood TV and Appliances this morning and spoke to Ronnie and raised the question had he heard from Geek Squad about this service that is needed. Here we go again just like the first case that went to BBB Case # 57197431. Sherwood TV and Appliances is not responsible for the (FIRST YEAR) and I need to contact Samsung. In ClosingI'm done with this 63" Samsung HD 3D TV that comes on during the Night and plays in reduced picture for non HD. Next I will not settle for anything less than the Unit being replaced. NO MORE REPAIRS! Next will no longer deal with Geek Squad as the employees have no clue to how the BLACK TIE PROTECTION PLAN WORKS. O DID I FORGET TO MENTION THEY WANTED $ 99 FEE TO COME TO MY HOME AND OVER 2 HRS ON THE PHONE TO FIND OUT THIS MORNING NO ONE IS COMING TO LOOK AT THIS LEMON OF A TV! 12.59 Noon today I called the Magnolia Store in Metairie Location where we purchased the TV as directed by # 7 Agent Trisha due to Mr Stephen Patterson never replied to the e mail I sent out on 7-13-11. Was put on hold again. Not waiting anymore. I expect to here from Best Buy, LP US Headquarters today. Don't take this wrong but I will fax this document along with the past cast directly to BBB and obtain a Second Case Number.

Very Helpful. I am also having problems with Geek Squad.

Do you really think anyone is going to take an hour to read that novel you wrote?

Loss
The 1st machine I got did not work after I set the whole thing up. I figure this cost me 2 hours time and 2 gallons of gas. After setting up the 2nd machine whenever I tried to install a new program. I kept getting an error message that windows Installer was installed...

That's pretty great that you won't buy from Best Buy again. Better yet, just start your own store and run em out of business.

Review

Do not buy Frigidaire or go to Best Buy: refused to replace bad dryer first week purchased

Purchased washer & dryer for 86 year old mother and 5 year extended warranty.First time use the dryer ripped and tore at the cloths. Called BEST BUY within the first week and wanted the dryer replaced, Best Buy refused to replace it and instead sent a repair person to "fix" it. Had to resend repair man 3 times. 3 weeks later, dryer would not spin correctly.Repairman sent again. The digital control was not working properly. A repairman was sent again. Last month when dryer would not turn on and all the lights were blinking on panel. Called Best Buy repair and was told that it would cost $100 JUST TO LOOK AT IT and that warranty expired this past February, 2011. (No notices that warranty was expiring were sent). I scheduled $100 service call and drove to Pittsburgh from Philly to meet service person (mother is afraid to have a stranger in the house). Service person called 7am saying & without seeing dryer said "it is the digital panel and that will cost over $300 plus the cost of the visit to fix." BEST BUY refused to help or replace defective dryer in first week, even though we wanted a new dryer as paid for. Dryer should not have this MAJOR repair cost after a life of five years and very little use by an 86 year old woman! We wanted the dryer replaced the first week when we saw that it was not operating correctly. The only way this can be made right is if Best Buy repairs this dryer at no cost to my mother. From the first week of purchase this dryer did not operate correctly. All I keep being told is that "your 5 year warranty was up in February." No one is responding to the fact that the dryer did not function correctly from the first day we received it.

Please contact me directly in regards to your dissatisfaction on the product and your customer service received at the dealer location. I would like to review and see how we can further assist you directly.

Chris Polk

Online Outreach Representative

Electrolux Major Appliances, North America

Chris.Polk@Electrolux.com

Find me on Twitter @ChrisPolk

Review

Monitor failed, had to pay more to get less! | Best Buy review from Monterey, California

I bought a computer monitor online as a gift for a friend in Albuquerque, New Mexico- I set it up as an in store pickup- that part went well. The monitor failed two months later. This happens- so the monitor went back to the pickup point- and they wouldn't offer her an exact replacement- in fact, she ended up getting a credit of less than what I paid, and had to put out an extra twenty dollars to get an HP monitor with inferior specs. She's mad, I'm mad, and we are not only unlikely to shop there again (and I dropped more than 2k there over the last year all by my self)- but we'll be telling everyone who gives us a chance to get one word in edgewise about this for years. I'm not just pissed- I'm an incandescent beacon flashing out "Avoid Best Buy"; I'm a tech maven, people ask my advice daily- and I know who I won't be recommending- the folks who made me look bad for twenty stinkin' bucks. The Best Buy store location was 55 HOTEL CIR NE, and this happened today.

Geek Squad Rip Off | Best Buy review from Seoul, Kyonggi-Do

I called Geek Squad and arrange a service call to resolve some issues with Slingbox settings. I'm overseas and gave detail information including case number and phone number to contact slingbox. Service tech shows up with no details and does nothing and still charges me. I try contacting Geek Squad for refund but after waiting over 20 mins on hold for two times I finally get to talk to suppervisor but she hangs up on me. GEEK SQUAD is a RIP OFF service I will never use again. I want a refund but impossible to get money back Beware if you want to use their services