Best Buy Reviews

Show reviews that mention
customer service service store customer geek squad phone manager order money card
Filter review

Best Buy

My elderly, disabled sister purchased a Best Buy computer with the extended warranty for about $1200. It never worked properly, if at all. She took it back to the Tupelo, MS store on numerous occassions requesting repair or replacement. After each visit, it malfunctioned within a short period of time. She finally got 2 indedpendent computer expert written evaluations that it had too many problems to repair, mailed those to the pres. of Best Buy, and requested that he honor her extended warranty with a working computer. She got back a letter of apology which is not helpful since she has no money to purchase a working computer-making it her Worst Buy.
Galeton, Pennsylvania

Best Buy - Customers don't count

The Best Buy organizational culture appears to be one based on rigidity and indifference towards the needs of customers. After spending $1200 on a laptop computer, I was told it would take 3 hours to do the installs and pre-service work for which I had agreed. I left the store at 1pm with the plan to return at 6:30pm on my way to an important dinner with 15 friends. The store was not near my home. They called later to tell me that it would be much later before it finished. Conversations with several Geek Squad members proved only more frustrating because they did not seem the least bit concerned about my inconvenience. But, they said they would talk to a manager while I was en-route to the store. It should be mentioned that I would be unable to return for several days and miss a full day at home to set up, etc. if I didn't get it that night. At 6:30pm I arrived (after changing my car pool situation) and waited over 45 minutes for the computer, making me very late for my evening. I realize that they could not have speed up the process at this point and my dinner plans were ruined. However, no offer of a small discount or gift card was offered. Nor were there any apologies about the delay. In fact, the one Geek said, "I talked to the manager about a gift card or something and he said there really isn't anything we can do." That translated to me as "We have your $1200 so we don't need to do anything for you". I would have returned the whole system had I not been screwed for the $129 of non-refundable service they had started. I sat there close to tears for 45 minutes watching dozens of people make large purchases. A small gesture of understanding would have saved a customer. The failure to extend a small gift card ($15-20) has lost them far more in my business for life and that of any others if in my power. And, I started with the 15 friends I met later that night. Best Buy is clearly the most customer un-friendly organization I have ever encountered.
#562083

Why did you decline the offer to set it up and just take your computer home? It is not hard to install anti virus software or any software.

At home you can set it up the way you want it set up with the software that you put on it. I am not a geek but I have had no problems setting up my computers as long as you can punch a few buttons and put the code in the software the computer will do the rest.

Even all the plugs are color coded and to set up speakers and mouse and keybord all you have to do is match up the color on the computer with the color on the cord. A 6 year old could do that.

#20257

LOLwho ever mentioned faulty software??the 129 is what I got done to my computer that is simply the installation of security software and antivirus.How's that faulty software?YOU GET REAL! lolHowever, I do agree that sometimes it takes forever, my lap took an hour over but works great.People people people, a gift card for every time you're mad doesn't change the world...man I should try that next time" OH SORRY THE LINE WAS TOO LONG, WHERE'S THE 100**** GIFT CARD PLEASE??"

#19858

Geek Squad "agents" don't do anything... yeah, because that new computer he bought must of had faulty software... get real!!

Which would you rather have, a good computer that you know is set up properly without faulty hardware? Or something that you are completely uncertain about?

When the Geek Squad agents set up new computers, they are making sure all hardware is not faulty and correctly installed, as well as that all software and Windows installations have been done correctly.

If you get it home and the speakers aren't working, do you know what to do? More than likely, you'd simply waste the trip or time to bring the entire laptop in and yell and scream because something doesn't work.

View more comments (3)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Product
Best Buy Gift Card

Best Buy is a ***!

I went in on Black Friday, nice and early to get a good deal. I got 2 tickets for laptop computers that were advertised in the paper. The Gateway laptop for $599.99 and a Toshiba laptop for $799.99. There were no prices on the ticket, just a bunch of bar codes and the title of the product.I stood in line for about 4 hours, the cashier rang me up and told me to pick the items up in the back. The next day I go to look at the receipts and realize that they charged me an extra $128 for each computer for 2 software and installation for these software, which was not disclosed to me nor was on the advertisement. I call customer service and they tell me to go ahead and bring it in and it would not be a problem. So I went in to Best Buy two days ago and tell them what happened. She said they would check on it. She took the laptops to Geek Squad, which was right behind the Customer Service desk and she said they would take a look. I told her that the Gateway shouldn't be opened since I was returning the Gateway completely. She replied with, They have to check on the software,so I let it go assuming that was her acknowledgment that I was not responsible for opening it. Then a manager comes back and says that I had to have known about the software and the installation charges because the bar codes were on the ticket. There were in fact bar codes all over the ticket but no prices or anything saying that they were an additional cost. The price for the actual product was also not on the ticket, it was in the ad. So naturally, I was upset that they charged me for something without disclosing it.. In addition, he said that there would be a restocking fee since the laptops were opened.. When I explained that they were the first to open it, they said that the boxes were already opened. The customer service rep also denied the fact that I told her not to open it since I was returning the Gateway outright and actually yelled and pointed at me saying that I was wrong. ( She was probably in high school). The manager basically said no and to take it up with Customer Service through the 800 line and walked away. This is one of the most frustrating situations that I have had to deal with. In the past 3 months I have spent over $3500 in appliances and electronics through them and they basically turn me away without any kind of help. They are outright liars and thieves. I plan to call my credit card company and dispute these charges as well as file a complaint with the BBB. I am so disappointed and upset. Consumers should not be lied to and charged for items that were not purchased. In addition customer service was terrible, I understand that the rep was very young but her attitude only made the fire stronger.I am never going back to Best Buy again.

You are right, Bestbuy is a rip off. I wanted to buy one of the gateway at $599 and they did not have any in stock but they had a display model.

The manager would not sell it due to some sort of sku problem. She stated she was sure I would be happy taking it home today but laughed and stated I would have to come back in the week when they would be getting more.

Apparently they don't want to sell computers. I won't be back.

#19868

Yeah, never buy anything from the BB... they employ some of the biggest idiots and liars I have ever seen.

And yes, most of them are in highschool. And I hope they never grad and are forced to work at that dumb store for the rest of their dumb lives.

And as I never shop there. I'll never need to deal with them.

View more comments (1)
Washington, District Of Columbia
Best Buy Cashier

Bestbuy online gift cards

I ordered a customized gift card from BestBuy.com on Dec. 8th with a promised delivery before Christmas. My son never received his card until Dec. 26th to make matters worse he went shopping and the $100. card was declined at BestBuy !! the store manager told him he needed the original receipt. I then got on the phone and told him it was purchased online. "oh duh well we can't do nothing about it mam' you got to call the online store. I did and.... um dah they can't do nothing because it was ordered online through Cardways.com" I'm still on hold being transferred to another department. My visa card was hit for 104.91 on Dec 8th and now I have to contest the charge.

I ordered the card on the BestBuy site and no I don't steal ! Your wrong on all accounts.

If you notice now that Best Buy must disclose when you are sent to a third party site. They didn't then. If consumers don't complain when they are ripped off nothing changes.

It took months to resolve this issue because Cardways blamed Best Buy and Best Buy blamed Cardway. You blame me the consumer how ridiculous.

#562088

It sounds like you bought the gift card from a third party like the ones you see in the grocery store. It is the responsiblity of the company you buy it from to activate the card.

My guess is you went into a store and stole it off the rack.

Those cards are of no value until the clerk activates them. That is not Best Buy fault.

You ordered the card from Cardways.com and youre blameing Best Buy what a dumba$$ :roll

Nashua, New Hampshire
Product
Best Buy Gift Card

Best Buy-Not customer freindly

A friend of mine and I were looking for an LCD television for her. After looking around, I suggested Best Buy. The price was right, and the salesman was friendly. My friend bought a 32 inch Samsung/waranty ( over $1000). When we got it home, I couldn't quite figure out how the stand attached to the TV, mainly because of a piece that was referred to as a "bottom cover," which through me of a little. I called Best Buy and asked them how the TV fit on the stand. The guy who answered the phone asked me if I used their paid delivery and assembly service, to which I replied, no. He went away, and returned saying that the manager said that I would have to pay $80 to have their crew come out to assemble the set. $80? All I wanted to know is how the stand attached to the TV. The guy said that they don't assemble TV's there, and have no knowledge. I asked to speak with the salesman. The guy went away again, and told me that the salesman wasn't there. I finally figured out that the "bottom" cover was to cover the stand slot, if one wanted to mount the TV on the wall. Then, I was able to figure out that the set just slid on top of the stand. I looked for the Stand/TV assembly in the manual at the beginning, but couldn't find it. Lo and behold, the instructions were on page 86 after the manual discussed TV set up. You would think that the stand/TV assembly would be first up.
#562089

All manuals suggest you read the manual before doing anything with the product. Also there is a table of contents in the front of the manual. Myself I would have paid the delivery and setup so if anything goes wrong it is Best Buy problem not mine.

Not to sound negitive or anything, it sounds like you may have a problem with Samsung, after all Best Buy didnt write the manual..did they? Think about that.

View more comments (1)
Reston, Virginia

Best Buy -- I got screwed

I really don't know where to start this story. It is just really unbelievable what has happened. It is almost like I am the victim. After all, it is my fault that I took my car to Best Buy. I own a 1998 BMW 528i that was in excellent condition when I took it to the Best Buy in Heath, OH on October 21, 2007 to have a Viper Remote Security System installed. The install appointment was scheduled in advance and the car was dropped off with them when they opened at 11 A.M. I returned 8 hours later and only part of the work was done. I had to schedule the remaining work (door lock/unlock feature) to be completed that Thursday, October 25. I returned on Thursday and again the car was left for the entire day. When I went back to my car, it was obvious that certain wires were crossed as my panel lights were flashing, the lock/unlock feature was not working properly, the door handle to open the vehicle wasn't the same, and I noticed obvious gouge marks in the side panel where the technician either pried loose or forced open the panel to gain access. All of this was brought to the attention of store management and I was assured they would address it the next day. A review of the work order paperwork (copy obtained when I dropped the vehicle off compared to the copy when I picked the vehicle up) clearly shows the technician covered his tracks by adding comments indicating the damage was done previously, which it wasn't. The paperwork proving the technician coverup was presented to the manager, Best Buy assumed liability for the damages to the door panel, and a Best Buy Insurance claim was generated. The store manager assured me that the technician would be fired and his other techs would look at the installation and fix it. The store had my car for 4 more days before making the decision on October 29 that they decided to remove the system from my vehicle because, according to the manager, they couldn't figure out how to do the complete installation properly on my vehicle. The next day, when I called the store to inquire of status, I was informed that arrangements were underway by the store to have my vehicle towed to the BMW dealership, Kelly BMW in Easton, OH. The store had my car towed by a non-affiliated AAA tow company without my authorization, and as it turns out, I had to pay the tow bill to get my car from the dealership. I am a AAA Plus member, and if I wanted to have it towed, I would have had it arranged under my coverage. But the tow bill is only part of the story. Best Buy Claims did not cover the entire cost of repairs, and I had to incur even more out of pocket to get my car back. Bottom line, I was without my car for over a month and it cost me almost $600 to get my car back. Surely there are consumer rights issues with my case. I have documented all conversations with all the parties involved, and am very much interested in leveraging a lawsuit at Best Buy. Loss of use, aggravation, $600 out of pocket expense to get my car back – this is unbelievable. My next step is meeting with my lawyer and filing suit with the Small Claims Court in my area of jurisdiction.
#562092

you should have taken it to the BMW Dealer in the first place then you would not have had all these problems.

Google theft rates on cars w/ factory security and one w/ aftermarket alarms. Factory alarms are way easier to steal so keep on trusting your key-fob.

P.S. BMWs are pure garbage electronically

Why would you have an aftermarket alarm fitted to that car? The system integrated into the car at the factory is superior to anything "Best" Buy can offer. The transmitter is in the key, so you don't require an additional fob. Selective unlocking of the driver's door, trunk, or all doors. Loud siren, tilt sensor, interior motion sensor. EWS which disables the starter and ignition unless the correct key is used. Diagnosable via the diagnostic connector. And it can be activated using the key in the door lock, if the transmitter battery dies.

I feel your pain, but I just don't understand people thinking that they can outsmart the legendary engineers of Germany.

p.s. Now you know, "Best" Buy blows!

Columbus, Ohio
Best Buy Installation

Cartridge for hp printer

I bought a cartridge for my printer hp22, however I had no sucess when I brought it home, I bought this cartridge in march 07. I then bought a complete computer and a printer which is cannon. I just wanted to return the cartridge and purchased a cannon. Taylor station rd Best Buy said I couldn't return it because of the time period. I then brought it home and called the corperate office and the supervisor said he could only sent what I paid and he said I paid 5,00 and some cents. I had some bonis points from previous purchases. I feel I should get full refund. I have made some big purchases there. I have bought 2 computers, TV and play station. Please take this in consideration. Thanking you in advance Lila Ohmart 2900 Torrey Pines Dr. Pickerington, Ohio 43147 Phone No- 614-866-****
Columbus, Ohio

Best Buy- No Match

I’m writing to convey a situation that was extremely dissatisfying regarding my purchase of a new HP HDX notebook from Best Buy.com. This particular notebook is very new, large (20-inch screen!) and expensive. Best Buy has not been willing to stock them in-store so I made the purchase through their .com service. I’ve never used their .com before, but have made many large electronics purchases in-store, I use my Best Buy credit card and I am a member of Best Buy’s Reward Program. I’ve bought several thousands of dollars of equipment from Best Buy including video and still cameras, TV’s, a surround sound system, a portable DVD player, an automotive cd changer and installation, and numerous smaller items. Here’s my order: HP HDX- $2,999 Extended Warranty- $456 Tax- $215 Total- $3,600 Before I received my purchase I discovered that B&H photo (New York City) had the same model for $2,399; $600 less retail! I called to cancel my Best Buy order, but it was already shipped. When my computer arrived, I took it unopened to my local Best Buy (Orange Park, FL) with the online price from B&H. It is also worth noting that I also printed ads from Circuit City and CompUSA, both local Best Buy competitors and both $300 less for the retail price. I began my attempted price matching with the ad from B&H. I was told that they are not local competitors and as such Best Buy would not match. My final attempt was to show them both the Circuit City and CompUSA ads for a matching of $300 on the retail price. Now the rep.’s story changed to state that Best Buy.com does not price-match. She said it was plainly indicated on my invoice though she was not able to show me this. They absolutely refused to match the price. I had to leave the unopened computer and get a refund. As a final insult, they would not refund my measly $20.00 shipping charge stating that it is not their fault that I do not want to pay so much more for a computer. Luckily I’ve saved quite a lot since B&H can not charge tax and does not offer extended warranty in Florida. Here’s the final tally: Best Buy total: $3,600 B&H: Computer: $2,399 Shipping: $40 Tax: $0 Warranty: $0 Free printer: $0 Free Windows Training DVD: $0 B&H Total: $2,440 Savings: $1,200 plus a $50 rebate, free HP printer and Windows Training DVD I’ve gained a valuable lesson and Best Buy has lost a valuable customer. I’m sharing this story with everyone I can find. Too bad all the people at work consider me the go-to-guy regarding technology. I’ll steer them all away from Best Buy. Jeff Aboumrad Middleburg, FL Jeff@***d-eye.net
#132009

that was sort of dumb "This particular notebook is very new, large (20-inch screen!) and expensive" wow dumb *** most 20 inch laptops are durr

That's ok Best Buy. Keep making your customers unhappy.

That's the way to stay in business. I told the lower level manager that I would post complaints online. The problem is...

I can't find anything good about this store unless it's from corp. All I have to say is " Enron"

Cant wait till it breaks and you have no local support :grin

Tallahassee, Florida
Best Buy Shipping Service

Repair On switch Compaq Presario x1000

The "on" switch for our Compaq Presario x1000 laptop computer broke. Best Buy, where we purchased it originally, told my wife that they would have to send the work "out" and that it would take "at least" 5-6 weeks, They could not give a cost estimate but said it might "cost more that the computer was worth" and why didn't we just buy a new one. HP service center will repair it for 298 dollars and return the computer within three working days. The cost includes all shipping, handling and repair plus a warranty on the repair. I think $298 is a better investment than $3000 for a new computer Thanks for nothing Best Buy Another reason to not purchase anything more compicated than a DVD or CD music album E L Koch
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Best Buy Shipping Service

Best buy /tops electronic services,inc

we bought a 50" samsung plasma psp call sevice center they have come out 4 times with wrong parts . The last time, they put in a part now we have no t.v. They tell us we have to wait. best buy will do nothing to correct this problem so beware. This t.v. is still under manufacture's warranty, so all they would need to is exchange it. problem solved. They tell us this process will take 2-5 days. so in the mean time we have no t.v Now is'nt thats special. so next time you buy from best buy. Beware of there sevice, not the best buy.
Reston, Virginia

Best Buy Store #358 Bad Customer Service

As Written to their Corporate Headquarters: I just recently had a less than positive experience with a floor manager by the name of Aaron in Store #358, 611 Marks St. in Henderson, Nevada. I tried to replace a Camcorder for my 65 year old mother who had purchased it with a 4 yr extended warranty. The model of camera she purchased, Sony DCR-TRV-22, suffered a CCD chip factory recall and the symptoms related to the recall were consistent with the problem her camera was experiencing. When I tried to explain why we were wanting to exchange the camera for a different brand of the same value, Aaron refused to help. He only insisted that he can sell me another camera while I waited for 6 weeks for the service department to determine whether the camera can be repaired. I told him it was a defective part that Sony recalled and was not repairable. That my mother wished to have a different brand of camera of the same value. Aaron did not look at the receipt of purchase or look at the 4 year plan. He did not ask to see any of the documents I had in my hand. He only told me to stand in line at the service department to have the camera repaired and he'd sell me another camera. I explained that it was unnacceptable. I told him that it wasn't completely out of the ordinary for Best Buy to honor the request I was making as it was done in the past by another member of my family at a location in Southern California. In that particular instance, the customer was escorted by the floor manager to the camera department where he helped the customer locate another brand of camera of equal value. Aaron's response was, "Well, take it to that store then." I told him that his response was rude and unprofessional and a return policy should be honored. Aaron refused. This entire conversation took place in the front of the store. I was noticeably unhappy with the outcome. The greeters, who check receipts at the entrance were in earshot during the conversation and with a condescending tone and a smirk told me to have a nice day while I was on my way out. I turned to them and instructed them that not only is it unprofessional to address a customer to have a nice day when they can see that the customer is obviously upset but it is rude to say it when they didn't mean it and as if it were funny that the customer were unhappy. One of the greeters then stepped into my personal space as if to try to intimidate me and told me I had to lower my voice. I told the greeter, as I was leaving the store, that his behavior was going to be included in my report to corporate. Then I heard him say again, mockingly, "Have a nice day." (I don't need to go into how really angry that last comment made me. I'm sure you can put yourself in my place and just imagine.) Normally, I do not bother writing corporate offices when I have a bad experience in a business. I just simply never shop there again and, when the topic comes up, tell everyone I know my experience and encourage them not to do business there. But the behavior of these employees and the attitude of the floor manager at this particular location incited me so much, that I felt compelled to write you hoping that someone can investigate this type of unprofessional behavior. I'm sure that this is not what your corporation or any corporation expects from their employees who represent their business at the public level. Sony Corporation has agreed to replace the camera at no expense. Their support service was exemplary and I have already informed them as much. It's too bad that my experience at Best Buy was so sour that I will probably never walk into that store ever again. And will be very hesitant to shop at Best Buy even if it were a different location.
Las Vegas, Nevada
Best Buy Manager

Best Buys Costumer Service Stinks

Let me just say that I recommend that no one ever shop with Best Buys ever again. I can tell you that not only do they fail to deliver, their costumer service appears to go out of it’s way to lie and mislead the customer. I purchased a washer and drier from the Courtland, NY store the week before Labor Day 2007. The store informed me that delivery could only be made to my location on the Saturday before Labor Day. On that Saturday, the delivery, from the Poughkeepsie, NY store was cancelled. The “only” delivery driver had called in sick. As I discussed the situation with the store manager, he gave me the biggest run around I have ever experienced in shopping retail. He would not even attempt to explore options to get the delivery. With a house hold full of guests, we needed the appliances. We were forced to cancel the order and purchase elsewhere. (SIMULAR MODELS AT HOME DESPOT FOR $300 LESS). After the holiday, my wife and I followed up with e-mail customer service and directly with the Courtland, NY store. The e-mail response was dismal. “You will have to contact the store. There is nothing we can do for you.” The store response was better, but no satisfactory. The Courtland store appliance department manager tried to explain the situation and confirmed that the Poughkeepsie store manager had outright lied about the situation. He tried to smooth the situation by apologizing and made the matter worse. Every time he tried to explain something, another lie was exposed. MY ADVICE TO EVERYONE IS TO NEVER HAVE ANY DEALINGS WITH BEST BUYS AGAIN FOR ANYTHING UNLESS YOU ENJOY BEING ABUSED AS A CUSTOMER.
ID
I went to Best Buy when they had there big after Thanksgiving sale. I waited in line, I kid you not, for 1 1/2 hours. After I finally got to the register, the item, I pointed out to the guy in the camera shop, rang up wrong. I was told by the cashier that he gave me...

You should in line for an hour and a half on Black Friday (the craziest shopping day of the year)....Lady people wait for days in line. So your hour and a half is nothing!

*** happens!