Filter by rating :
filters

Best Buy - Worst Service

I bought a laptop via BestBuy.com as a gift for my sister, in large part because she could easily pick it up at her local store. (I also bought the Geek Squad Tech Support membership and wireless setup for her.) That was three frustrating, exasperating, and infuriating weeks ago, and it hasn't ended yet. My sister still has no working computer. I have never experienced such incompetence and indifference on so many levels. I can't be the first or only person to buy a gift online from Best Buy; it will be my last time. When my sister arrived at the local store, she was told no record of the order existed. Remember, she has no computer so cannot receive email, only text messages on her phone. She has the order number and the account info I'd given her. Nothing can be found on the system; nothing can be done for her. After many transferred phone calls to Best Buy by me, she was able to take her gift home; however, the tech support couldn't be authorized for her. More time on the phone helped me decide to simply have my sister return the laptop for a refund and start all over. (Apparently I'm a masochist.) This time I was very careful and deliberate in selecting all the options for a gift: receipt, email, pickup information, etc. I printed the confirmation page with all the correct information. Well.....sis went back to the local store. Her name was not on the purchase and she couldn't get the computer. Beyond crazy. I was on the phone for 90 minutes with another "exceptional customer support" rep. (The phone recording is very clear about that description.) The rep told me the info on her screen was different than what I was reading off my confirmation page -- all my own info was on her record. And, she informed me, no changes can be made after purchase. She suggested I return the item and re-buy it! She suggested I call the pick-up store or send them the confirmation page via email! You can imagine that piece of conversation, followed by this: "Even the president of Best Buy can't make corrections, that's the rule." I wouldn't hang up and asked to talk to a supervisor. "She can't help you either. It's the rule." "My supervisor says the system won't let me." "I want your supervisor to tell that to me." (The supervisor never got on the phone). After a very long wait, the rep said, "Well, my supervisor says I CAN do it after all. I never knew that." We tediously went through every entry multiple times until I was satisfied that my sister's name was listed on all the purchased items. I was given a case ID as reference. Sis goes to the store AGAIN. She cannot get the computer because her name is not on the purchase!! She calls me from the counter, repeating each comment and question by the sales rep. No one cares about a case ID, only the info on the screen is important. Being the older sister in this relationship, I tell sis to put the phone into his hand. The sales rep starts to lecture me for not entering the purchase as a gift and not authorizing my sister to pick up the purchase. Oh yes he did. When I didn't back down, he asked my address as verification of my account and handed the laptop to my sister. The Tech Support Membership card has my name and address on it; we'll see how that works out. Sis will call Geek Squad tomorrow to make an appointment for wireless setup. You can bet I'll be getting another phone call. Will this nightmare never end?????

Let's face it; sometimes the computer doesn't get it right, and employees don't handle the situation properly. I've had to become an advocate for the customer more than once over computer/.com orders gone wrong.

Sounds like between the on-line site, the computer system, and the store on the other end, you wern't treated very well, and that's something that needs to be addressed. But, don't stop trying.

When everything is all said and done, Best Buy really DOES want you to be satisfied with their products and services...even though it might not seem that way, sometimes. :sigh

Patrick

again, calm down little kid.

the one here is just as bad

I misunderstood the purpose of this site. I thought it was a legitimate forum for customers to share their bad experiences with businesses in order to warn other customers.

It's my fault for not researching more thoroughly. What is accomplished by "IHateStupidCustomers" and "Somebody" flaming me without regard to the complaint I submitted?

Nothing but pounding their chests. Useless.

Patrick

alright, alright. calm down.

I assure you, I am not a *** customer nor am I a naive computer user. I put all of her information into the "Friends & Family Pickup" page of my account before I placed the initial order.

I selected "gift message" so she would know it was ready. Yes, I absolutely expected Best Buy to know that my sister was picking up the items! Her name, phone number, and email was listed every time. That's what this complaint is all about.

She WAS listed on the order.

The confirmation page I have in my hand has all the correct information on it. The information Best Buy pulls up on their screen does not match it.

Patrick

even though Best Buy sounds like they handled the situation poorly, did you expect them to somehow know that your sister was the one picking up the computer and that it was for her even though you were the one that ordered it?

That's your fault for not putting a family friend pick up on the order when you placed it.

That's your fault for not putting your name on the order

View more comments (8)
Review
#319578 Review #319578 is a subjective opinion of poster.

Purchase back ordered after deducting payment | Best Buy review from Panama City, Panama

I found a laptop I wanted, nothing out of the ordinary and fairly basic. The product details said it was available so I went ahead and ordered it for shipment. The receipt for the purchase came back with an estimated delivery date of 7-10 days which was ok by me, it fitted in with my time frame. Four days later I get an email to say that the product had to be back ordered and may not be available for 7-30 days. I called customer service to see if there was a closer estimate of expected shipment/delivery and the agent came back and advised that it was the later date on my original invoice, 10 days, my online tracking still shows back ordered with no promised date. I'm pissed because Best Buy shouldn't take our money if they don't have the product for shipment, with networked inventories it should be automatically advised to the customer that there is a back order for that product and it is not current;ly available, for a company that touts it's 'Geek Squad" it isn't up with other technology related to customer service, oh I forgot customers don't really count for some these days. No wonder the economy is so bad when shopping experiences through USA sites more too often leave a bad taste in ones mouth. Last time shopping with Best Buy for sure.

So, it's been more than ten days...What was the end result? :x

bestbuy.com orders do not get charged until final shippment. Best buy puts a hold on the money so when the order is finalize they will make sure they get their payment.

Therefore if you had cancelled your order you would have received your money immediately since it was a hold. It's not best buy fault if the manufactor runs out of a product either...

Patrick

basically what Simon said. that's not why the economy is bad. while I don't agree with Best Buy's online order estimate, the agent said it would take 10 days.

"No wonder the economy is so bad when shopping experiences through USA sites more too often leave a bad taste in ones mouth."

Ah, that must be what led to the financial crisis. I had no idea our economy was devastated so much by sneaky online retailers.

View more comments (3)

BEST BUY/SAID WARRANTY ONLY COVERED PURCHASE PRICE NOT PURCHASE

Purchased a microwave last year from Best Buy on sale and dented for a reduced price & also purchased a replacement warranty...it died and after three attempts by Geek Squad under the manufactures warranty, they said to return and get replaced...the store manager refused to replace my 9 month old microwave unless I paid the $130 difference between what I paid for it originally and what the microwave costs now...I asked him about the extended warranty that goes into effect after the first year manufactures warranty expires and he said the Best Buy warranty does not replace the product only covers the amount paid...I asked for his supervisor and he told me to call 1-800-BESTBUY...I am truly pissed!!!

Sounds like they're dealing fairly with you...what's your problem? :?

the terms and agreements you agreed to gauranteed you that you would get no more then you spent.Unless they made you purchase the warranty by force, you should have known

Patrick

yeah, use some common sense. most stores offer to give your money back towards a new one.

maybe you should have used the money towards a cheaper microwave. how fancy of a microwave do you need anyway? a replacement plan lets you get what you paid back, not extra credit. learn some math.

like for example. you buy a $600 computer and a 2 year plan is let's say $150. that's 1/4 of the price but if your computer takes a ***, then you have that $600 credit. but the computer you bought is now back up to $650.

you have to pay the $50 difference. well what sounds better? paying $650 for a new computer or paying $50?

or maybe even consider it $200 if you include the cost of the replacement plan. it's not a scam, you just have to use common sense.

You have a scratch and dent coming not a new one.

You got a discount because the microwave was dented. You're not going to get a brand new replacement without paying the difference because that's not what you originally paid for. Use some common sense.

View more comments (4)
Loss
in 2009 I purchased an HP laptop computer for my home business. I wanted the complete coverage so that I would not be without my computer. This coverage included hardware, software, remote support, in home service and if needed in store which would put me ahead of...

I hate to say this but ever since 2009 best buy customer service and geek squad services have gone down hill and fast I use to work there from 2007 to 2011 and i can tell you that they have pulled a lot of the good to great people that would bend over backwards for the customer and had the knowledge to actually help like myself and others I know out of the stores or have made it so much to the point that we just frankly can't care about the customer. This is not saying that I hated working there because for the most part I did enjoy what I did but the direction the company had and has taken can not be condoned and it does need to change so customers like yourself get the service and care that you deserve like it use to be in the stores.

P.s. I am not by anyways shape or form stating that all stores are this bad but I will say that more than anyone really knows are this bad.

Review
Bought $300 netbook for my wife. Took it home, spent two hours configuring it. Rebooted, it shut off and would not restart at all. Took it back. It started - of course. They essentially called me a liar. "What good is a computer that may or may not start?" So instead...

for all the know you two are getting a divorce and someone is screwing over the other, be smart, do you want someone with the same last name as you to walk in to a store and pickup your product without being questioned?

Product
Best Buy Gift Card
I brought my Acer Aspire desk top computer to the Best Buy store at 6025 E Broadway, Tucson, Az. 85711 (Store #198) since I only had 1 month left on the extended service contract and after opening it up I found that one of the fans was making the strange noises I'd...

When I bought my Dell from Best Buy it has viruses on it when I pulled it out of the box for the first time. I had to completely restore the whole thing because best buy would do,nothing about it, even though I returned about 14 hours after I bought it and told them about the problem. I go to ABC Warehouse now and get treated with respect, the way a customer paying good money should be!!!

Best Buy

I had Geek Squad install a tv. After buying all the things from best buy the tv would not work. Best Buy store or corp office did nothing about it. They care less about anyone. They were rude and didn't care. I just lost 600 dollars because they won't do anything about it. Best Buy wants me to pay additional money to have a new one put up. I will never ever shop at best buy. I should have read reviews about this horrible company before I spent thousands of dollars. The Corp office wouldn't ever take my complaint
Patrick

I have a feeling you left out the part where you wanted them to replace it after it stopped working a year later.

Loss

Best Buy, Switch and Bait Tactics...

My TV that I purchased in November 2011 six months ago needed repair. A Blue line across the screen appeared and was permanent. I called Best Buy to get it repaired, I was told that being that the TV, Samsung 60" LCD, 3D was still under the manufactures warranty being only 6months old to file my claim thru Samsung, instead of the extended 4 year warranty thru Best Buy. I purchased the extended 450.00 warranty at the time of purchasing the TV. Now all of this communication is with the Geek Squad, and so they asked for the usual info ID number, serial number etc. I was told to expect a tech to come out and check the TV and was given a date and time. The date and time passed and the next day I called to see what happened. I was told that this is a well known issue and that they have ordered the part "flat screen" and would call when it was in to schedule a time then. Two weeks later I call Best Buy, and was told that the item was on "extended back order" and that I should now call Samsung directly to get them to just replace the TV. At no point was any recconigition made to never showing up for the appointment, the two weeks of nothing as to a update on the TV. Finally after contacting Samsung directly I recieved a return number and that Best Buy would swap out my TV. The time that has passed now is 4weeks. I recieved a call from Mike at corporate that everything was all set and to bring my TV for the exchange. I went to the Mission Viejo, CA location to swap out the TV and after 2 hours of trying to strong hold me into paying $250+ for a new TV, I picked up my TV and left the store. I called their corporate customer service and explained my situation and was told it would be a couple of days before I would hear back from them. Three days later I did recieve a message asking if I had heard anything from the store and if any new was up? Made no sence of the message and called corporate to find out what was going to be done. After multiple calls to supervisors managers I was offered this- either pay the difference of $200+ for the comp. tv or they would continue to look for a out of box TV. The TV I purchased was NEW, never opened etc. apparently the TV was on sale and that the TV is out of stock and the new model has replaced it, but costs more and hence why I needed to pay the difference. I argued that I don't set the price you sell TVs for etc. I have now contacted Samsung and they are shipping me the updated TV at no charge. Best Buy has lost a loyal customer who likes the latest stuff and is on there way down. Buyer be ware!

Best of luck in your journey in life, sounds like you have discovered the answers to all questions. By your insightful responces and first hand knowledge we should all follow your wise wisdom.

Then again, not!

Patrick

um.. ***, you mentioned the extended warranty in the first paragraph of your post.

and oh yeah, I somehow work at Best Buy just because you don't like what I say. well since I don't like what you say, how about I just assume that you kidnap children and keep them locked in your basement? well that might sound crazy but I guarantee you that I don't work for a crazy store like Best Buy. nor would I ever want to with seeing how many immature, ignorant nut jobs shop there.

and buddy, your product includes a 1 year limited MANUFACTURER'S WARRANTY.

Samsung built your TV, not Best Buy. the extended warranty with Best Buy starts after Samsung won't do *** for you anymore.

that's why it was still Samsung's responsibility. before just saying yes to an extended warranty next time, learn about it.

The first thing Best Buy told you to do was call the manufacturer. And you didn't.

What did you expect??? And NO, Best Buy did NOT have a "1 year guarantee", the manufacturer does. Which is why they told you to go to them first. Everything BB did was according to the warranty that your purchased and signed for.

You have failed.

And will continue to fail. Please do not reproduce.

FYI

After the joke service of Best buy, I delt with Samsung directly and they were more then happy to send me a new TV to my home and pick up the broken one. Something Best Buy never attempted do with more $$.

Who said anything about extended warranties, try reading the facts rathan then your interpertation of them. The Tv broke less then 4 months from when I purchased it.

Sounds like you work for Best Buy, I guess the 1 year guarantee means nothing. Also when some the company says to come in and we will exchange it we should all assume to bring the credit cards.

Patrick

no, obviously you have a misunderstanding of extended warranties. they give you the money that YOU SPENT and put it towards another product or another TV in this case.

let's say you spend $1500 on a TV and a 3 year extended warranty costs you $300. your TV breaks after a year but your TV isn't being sold anymore. you see an updated model but it costs $1700 now. well you aren't getting the more expensive TV for free, you pay the difference.

altogether in that situation, you would pay $500 for the new TV instead of spending S1700 on a brand new TV. I'm not sure if it gets more simple than that but basically, you can't buy something, get the extended warranty and then be able to get a more expensive product if yours breaks.

Obviously there is a missunderstanding.

When Best Buy told me to bring the tv in to exchange it then upon arriving and handing over my tv to them, to hear it will be an additional $200+ to exchange it. I don't know of a more clear definition of bait and switch!

Learn the definition of bait and switch.

Patrick

while I do agree with you when you basically say that Best Buy didn't treat you very fairly in this situation, it's not really bait and switch.

View more comments (8)
Service
Best Buy Shipping Service

Sucking bestbuy | Best Buy review from Dallas, Texas

I wanna buy a TV on Bestbuy.com. but they just show the price at check out, *** THAT, bestbuy just let you know the price when you purchase some *** *** from them, what the *** , *** sucking bestbuy. I have never seen anything like this before, normally, at other sites , i just need to add it in the shopping cart then I can see the price, but Bestbuy want you to add it in the cart, then log in to check out, they will show you the price, *** , i just cant image they like to cheat customers like that , i dont *** care about what the price they give but it *** suck, *** you bestbuy
Patrick

really? because I'm able to see the prices of the TV's.

I guess Best Buy made you mad because they caught you stealing and now you want to bad mouth them.

and even if you couldn't see the price of the TV until checkout, it's not like you actually had to buy the TV to see the price so calm down. oh and learn how to type at least a little better.

Service
Best Buy Customer Care

Worst Custer Service in my life! | Best Buy review from Denver, Colorado

Service Order Number 00211-970606828. Jack B. was my representative at store #211. I purchased a tech support package and a data backup to repair my computer. Jack assured me that the computer could be repaired and data retrieved. The computer was not repaired and I did not receive data backup. I was told everything was non-refundable. All three geek squad representatives were arrogant and disrespectful. I have been a loyal customer of Best Buy for 5 years. I will NEVER purchase anything here ever again and I will utilize my SEO expertise to make sure the general public becomes aware of my experience.

custer service..?

@Patrick

Do you now feel better having criticized the author for spelling mistakes? Do you feel like a big man now?

Grow up!

To the author: This kind of story is not new. Find a small local shop to help you. The big chains could care less about you. A small local shop won't survive long providing bad service.

Find a small store that has been around for a while. They will treat you a lot better and will likely try hard to win your repeat business.

View more comments (1)