Filter by rating :
filters

Unbelievable how bad a loyal customer was treated. | Best Buy review from Albuquerque, New Mexico

a quick complaint. i went to buy a HK receiver the other when it was on sale from $500 to $200. best buys all over albuquerque were sold out, so i went home to see if any other best buys had any left. there was one receiver and it was in santa fe so i bought it online immediately and the next morning drove an hour to pick it up. to my dismay, it i was told they couldn't locate it and although my card had been charged, your inventory system had it listed as "no pick" which i guess means your website thinks you have it but your inventory says it doesn't. so they offered to sell me the display model and *** 20%. i'm not an unreasonable man. I like a good deal, so i said "well, if you can show me that it works, then i'll take it." i drove one hour to get there, I'd waited one hour for them to look for the receiver i ordered, then i waited quite literally over an hour for someone to hook the HK receiver up to speakers to see if it worked. i suppose they had forgot about me waiting there, but my waiting wasn't due to the store being so busy that no one could help me. when a boy that worked there finally hooked it up to speakers behind the counter, he said it worked. i walked toward it to listen for myself he said "who are you? please step back and stand on the carpet. don't come back here." at this point i was absolutely furious. i stepped back to think about whether or not i was going to buy this thing anymore. in the end i figured i'd driven so far and wouldn't find another deal that good... plus, I'D ALREADY PAID FOR THE THING. i told them i'd buy it, with the 20% they'd offer me. the cashier couldn't ring it up because by now it was sunday. they'd cancelled the old transaction to ring up the new one for 20% less, but since the specials had changed, they could only offer me 20% off of the original $500 price. the manager said there was nothing he could do and these were the deals this week. so i drove the hour back to my house, pissed beyond belief, and ordered an onkyo on amazon that i'm extremely pleased with.this is an absolute insult to customers, and the worst i've ever been treated when going so far out of my way to be one of your customers. in the last year i bought from you guys an xbox360 w. kinect, various movies, controllers, a nikon d5100 bundle that was over $1100, a 47" LCD tv, and various other things. after the ringer you guys put me through, i don't feel it's enough that i just swear you guys off and tell a few of my well paid nerd friends about my experience. i would like others to know as well.

I know this doesn't help you now, but NEVER go to a BB that supposedly has one left of anything and expect them to actually be able to find it. Get a name and ask them to physically find the item before traveling. I know you purchased it online, but if you ever do decide to purchase from BB again, call the store, have them physically find the item, and ask to do an OMS order for it.

Here is an idea. Why not cut the employees salary to minimum wage and let them makeup the rest on commision. I'll bet they would treat buyers like gold and fistfight one another getting to anyone walking through the door.

@Good-Idea

I get customers day in and day out accusing the store reps of "saying anything" just to get them to buy *** and close the sale.. do you really think that would improve?

And uhh.. fyi- BBY store reps don't make a whole lot above minimum wage to begin with, son!

May I also suggest staying with Amazon along with the suggestions of Stinky!. These companies were highly regarded by CONSUMER REPORT's Dec 2012 issue.

If you must shop in a store H.H.

Gregg is an option if there is one in your region. BTW, I have ordered from B&H Photo in the past and found them trustworthy.

@JohnT

Just a quick note regarding Amazon -- items purchased from Amazon proper are normally "safe" purchases, however, keep a very close eye on their "Marketplace Seller" items where the shipping charges can be outrageous in some instances, and excessive in most. Only the genuinely honest Marketplace sellers will charge a shipping rate close to the actual cost of shipping.

Most of them however, sadly, charge an excessive amount and pocket the difference. Trust I know this first hand.

So yes to Amazon, but watch very closely where the item is being shipped from. And if a MP seller, check and re-check the shipping charges before you click that submit button!

John N

I used to buy alot of computer and electronics from Best Buy. No longer, tho.

I can find what I want online at a cheaper price and I no longer have the hassles one encounters in their stores now. They are having massive financial problems, anyway and I would not recommend buying from them as they seem to be going the way of Circuit City.

You have a reasonable complaint, however I must question why you accepted the decision of the on-duty store manager, especially on a Sunday. Usually, weekend managers are only fill-in replacement managers who act on behalf of the actual store manager.

It's quite possible you would have done better on Monday, or even contacting Best Buy Corporate. In any event, try and avoid Best Buy for major audio purchases in the future and instead perhaps opt for Crutchfield (dot com) which has stellar customer support, a variety of quality items and a great money back guarantee. If price isn't a factor, B&H Photo Video is another I personally prefer, but their shipping costs are a bit higher than Crutchfield. The advantage for you via either of these is -- no tax.

Crutchfield is in Virginia while B&H is in New York. Stick with Crutchfield for audio/video and car stereo and B&H for all your camera needs. You'll do much better than Best Buy on both. Don't forget, there's also Tiger Direct for all of Best Buy's overstock items, usually at a much lower rate.

Not sure which H/K receiver you bought, but I own two of the HK3490. We use them for secondary audio/video stuff on the front porch and back deck. This is a quality upper level home receiver, but by no means top of the line. For something to utilize HDMI with full audio return as in a complete 7.1 (or even 11.1 such as my system), the Yamaha RX-A3000 cannot be beat.

Anyway, think of Best Buy as the next Radio Shack: limited stock, all over priced and employees who know very little about the items they sell.

Try any of the retailers I have suggested above. You won't be disappointed.

View more comments (6)
Loss

Black Tie phone protection plan | Best Buy review from Rockaway Township, New Jersey

We had been paying for the best buy black tie phone protection plan for months and when we finally needed it, we were not given a new phone as promised and had to fight with best buy to get a new phone. We were never told that if we did not cancel the protection plan on the broken phone, we would continue to be billed. Months went by and best buy was deducting for the service on the new phone from our checking account and then approximately 6 months later, they billed a credit card of mine for $16.00 4 times in one day. I called them and told them we were paying for the protection plan from our checking account and they should not be taking from my checking account and credit card for a protection plan on one phone. They promised me a refund of $96.00 and when it was never credited to my card, and I called them about it, they told me they had decided to refuse me the refund because we never cancelled the plan on the broken phone. We were led to believe that the plan on the broken phone would transfer to the new phone and all would be fine. I have cancelled the plan and will never shop at best buy again. How they can justify charging twice for a service plan, one on a new phone and one on a de-activated broken phone is really questionable.

Call the credit card company and tell them that you would like to file a complaint under the Fair Credt Billing Act and want the charges refunded to your account. Ask them for the procedure.

If the represenative is unaware of the Act ask for a supervisor. The Act is federal law. Also you may file a complaint with the New Jersey Office of Consumer Affairs at (973)504-6200.

The Dec 2012 issue of CONSUMER REPORT rated retailors. Best Buy was at the bottom.

John N

First of all, you are throwing money away on a "protection" plan. Like extended warranties, this is usually a waste of money and a scam.

Almost always a waste of money.

Second---never, ever let anyone take money automatically from your bank account or charge your credit or debit card.

Why would you allow someone to do that? As you found out, you play *** trying to get them to stop or correct their mistake.

Thirdly---dispute the charge with your credit card company.

@John N

lrn2read your reciepts. They state CLEARLY in very plain english that the plan will bill for 23 months unless you call 1-888-best-buy to cancel the plan.

The billing system is nothing more than a computer program..

It does not come laced with miss cleo, so it does not know when a phone is de-activated by your wireless carrier.

View more comments (2)

STAY AWAY FROM BEST BUY CANADA

I had the bad luck to became client of Best Buy Canada when on October 2011 I bought 3 iphones from them and also contracted the maintenance service for the three phones. They didn't tell me there is no way out of this contract even if your phone is stolen or upgraded to a newer one by the operator. If you have to maintain the service you have to buy the phone from them. And the callcenter service is awful they keep you back and forth with agents and at least you have to wait 20 minutes to talk with the right one, and finally no solutions are provided. Even if you escalate to senior levels. Please don't buy any cell phone here and don't even think in buy the maintenance service. Do yourself a favor: stay away from Best Buy Canada.

There TVs suck | Best Buy review from Cumming, Georgia

how about a television and a surround system. neither 1 seemed to work. so I took both of them back. they finally gave my money back to me. I finally purchased a television they cost 600 dollars. well I got it home and it does not work either. this is absolutely the worst place in the world to buy television. I will never ever buy anything from Best Buy as long as I live. my children were waiting on that television for hours so they can play there video games. I even bought a game and 2 controllers from them so my kids could be happy. well that did not work out so well so I will never buy from them again. all I had all I was too little boys crying because they cannot play a game. Best Buy sucks

Best Buy is the Retailer!! Not the Manufacturer!!!

They don't build the TV ***! They sell it. And how about you actually do *** with your kids instead of buying them a TV to babysit them.

Best Buy is not at fault here. You should complain to the manufacturer of the TV for supplying Best Buy with a defective product.

This isn't surprising to me at all. I can tell you as a BB employee that if you saw the way most employees handle the televisions, you wouldn't even consider purchasing one.

Trust me, they are quite often drooped or knocked over and that's just once they are in the store. The way manner in which they are shipped is entirely another story.

Are you sure you know how to operate a TV?

@Simon

I find it funny they are upset because her kids are crying they can't play their game. God forbid a parent spends anymore time with their children.

Parents before gaming consoles must have had a horrible life spending time with their children before they move out and don't come back home much anymore.

Besides that I'm with you. If there was a problem with the TV and they knew what they were doing it would have been like "the AV port on the TV didn't work" or something of the like.

Loss

Sold a Displayed Computer, won't Exchange the computer | Best Buy review from Stone Mountain, Georgia

December 22, 2012 my brother had purchased 2 televisions and 2 computer labtops. My brother gave my children the 2 laptops at Best Buy in Hoover, Alabama. The sells person gave my brother one new laptop computer and the other was a display which he had no knowledge. When we opened the gift. We saw the yellow sticker said display. I called my brother and asked if he was aware its a display and he said "NO" he had no knowledge they put a display in the box, he just assumed a new computer. December 26 2012 my mom and I went to Best Buy in Snellville, Georgia and told them this is a display and that the password on this computer we couldn't get it off in order to get into the computer.. It took Greek Squad hours to get the password off. After 2 hours we went back on December 26th to pick up the computer and the guy from Greek Squad informed me they finally got it off and I mention about my brother didn't know the other store sold him a display and he had paid full price for a display. He called his manager on duty the young woman came over and give me $31.00 dollars back but did not offer me an exchange. January 26th I came back to Best Buy with the same computer because something was wrong with the screen. This is Snellville, GA location. Geek Squad told me it was the screen and the warranty doesn't cover it and they check to see if my brother purchased accidental insurance. I told him this was a display so why can't they exchange it. The manager told me they see impact.. I told him that's a lie, there's no scratch, no bumps, no cracks, I didn't drop it.It was on a flat surface, nothing fell on top of it.. There was no impact.. Look I know that screen sometimes just go out for no reason. He telling me that's not true and he know his employees had offered me an exchange. I told him that was a lie and I had a witness with me that can tell you the same thing no one offered me an exchange. Then the manager says to me the receipt shows they gave me an exchange. I told him that is a lie because I received a 20% discount I never gotten a new computer again no one offered me a new computer. So Best Buy denied giving me a new computer.. I called ASUS and they told me Best Buy could have given me a new computer, I called them on December 27th. Now I have to send the other or the 2nd computer my brother brought only a little over 30 days and ship it to ASUS because this computer will not charge the battery.. Both of these companies I will never deal with. I've had experiences with computers but nothing like broke in 30 days and I'm suppose to have 12 month warranty.. This is ridiculous.. Never and I will tell any and everyone to never by this company computer and buy anything from BEST BUY..

Im dealing with the same problem. I got a lawyer because vestbuy wont letme talk to the store manager so finally I get a new computer hopefully

Me, the Best Buy employees that overwhelmingly comment here do blame the customer or insult commentors that display sympathy and support to the complaintants. You are the first one that has actually purported that the complaints here are legitimate.

Your comment here indicates that you have scrupples and honesty. Unfortunately, your coworkers do not always display the same values. This is one of the significant reasons that Best Buy is having problems insuring a long lived future.

Any company would appreciate you as an employee. But I fear that Best Buy does not.

Unfortunately you accepted the $31 rather than demanding an exchange. It would have been prudent to decline the money and file a complaint with the Alabama State Attorney's Office's Consumer Protection Division.

This is not the first type of complaint against Best Buy. They also have been known to replace old equipment in new boxes and reseal. Then when the victim returns, they claim that the victimized customer is trying to "scam" the store. They were caught not long ago hosting 2 websites, one for the public and an almost identical one for their stores but with higher prices.

When a costumer would bring a printout of an item for purchase the salesman or saleswoman would "check" on the stores computer and low and behold the price would be higher. The usual "reasons" were that the price had just increased or just claim ignorance.

Best Buy employees respond here (if you have not noticed) trying to put blame on the customers. The Dec 2012 issue of CONSUMER REPORT rated retailors and Best Buy was at the bottom.

@JohnT

John not all of us BB employees that respond here try to blame the customers. This complaint (along with most of the ones I see on here) is legit.

I completely agree with everything else you said though.

And no, I'm not some disgruntled former employee that's just bashing the company. I work for BB right now, but I, unlike many other employees, believe in telling the truth and taking care of the customers that are the reason we all have jobs.

Andrea

You found out you got a display computer, allowed them to *** the password (which is so darn easy you could have done it yourself)took it back home with you, THEN decided you wanted another one, and you can't understand why they won't exchange it? The time to push for an exchange was the initial visit, not a month later.

View more comments (4)
Loss

When in store to buy a laptop and a new cell phone...what a freakin joke | Best Buy review from Lafayette, Louisiana

First up no one ever answers the phone so if you sant to know anything you have to go to the store..the automatic system always says there is one person ahead of you...there was 5 employees just standing arounx bs...proably why no one can snswer there phones..best buy will end up just like circuit city.down the tubes....customer service sucks big time..another thing proably why best buy is close up about 50 to a 100 of there big stores and having to open up smaller stores....NO SERVICE AND NO PRODUCTS TO BUY IN STOCK.I WHEN TO OFFICE DEPOT....
Mike_mn

end up just like circuit city! OMG!

The reason Circuit City went out of bussiness, and , CompUSA declined, is because BB drove them out! BB is directly responsible. Its' all business!

JohnT's stmt 'I noticed a rapid change for the worst with Best Buy. Maybe they felt that all major competion had been eliminated' is true.

With less competition, BB doesn't have to strive as hard. It's just being lazy!

I read on the Yahoo News ticker that BB is scheduled to close close to 120 stores! The enconomy is NOT the only reason.

Actually I always had better service with Circuit City. Best Buy at the time did have better prices and fair costumer service.

After the demise of Circuit City and Computer City, a Tandy Company, I noticed a rapid change for the worst with Best Buy. Maybe they felt that all major competion had been eliminated and quality of service could be compromised. If that were true then it certainly is not true now.

Best Buy again has major competition but has not adapted. They, too, will follow Circuit City into oblivion.

View more comments (1)
Loss
My fiance bought himself, his mother, and me each a laptop from Best Buy. In less than 6 months the screen stopped working on one of them. Toshiba said it was not under warranty. I took it to Best Buy and as soon as I walked in the door I asked for a manager and...

Best Buy offers warranties for a reason. After 30 days it's no longer their problem and you would need to go through the manufacturer.

I don't see how you are complaining. You're the one that didn't get Geek Squad Protection on it to protect it from things like this. You would have been told the same thing at Staples. Retailers offer warranties for this exact purpose.

Maybe you should get one next time. Best Buy is not at fault.

View more comments

Best Buy Master Card $50 Off Fiasco

I went to BB with the $50 off coupon on the 22nd. After 20 min drive, 30 min in the store and being told it was not valid and 20 minute drive home, I chatted with Customer Service to request $50 compensation for their print error. No interest in taking care of a customer. I advised I'd wait 5 days for compensation and they had a chance to turn lemons into lemonade. No reply. So, I will no longer buy from BB. They don't seem to care about making up for their errors. Don't seem to be a customer focused company. I've go SO MANY other choices.

Simon is probably a BB employee. Isn't that how they treat customers? Ha Ha

You aren't owed a penny. Stop being a baby.

The coupon was a misprint. Get over it.

@Simon

Actually if this situation in which he's referring to WAS actually a misprint as you stated, then he IS owed something umm it's not some myth or corporate decision ***, it's *** the LAW haha... :grin :grin Funny how you say he's being a "baby" yet you're the one who doesn't even know what you're talking about hahaha.

There seems to be a problem with coupon activity with Best Buy. Since some stores are honoring them,the coupons must be valid. Best Buy never seems to have clear policies. Calling their corporate office to complain would be an exercise in futility. The Dec 2012 issue of CONSUMER REPORT rated retailors and Best Buy was at the bottom. Eventually, everyone stops being a "repeat" customer with them.

Best Buy Customer Care

Coupon Problem | Best Buy review from Annapolis Junction, Maryland

Went to best buy with wife on jan 22. Wasn't going to go but she dragged me because she got a coupon. It was the save $50 when you use mastercard over $100. So I went. Bought some stuff for my son and she wanted to buy a waffle maker and some other little things. After 10-15 minutes of standing there waiting for our guy to get someone who knew what was going on, they refused the coupon and said it was one day only. On the 21'st only. I argued that it clearly states 21-27 on the coupon. The said no. It was a misprint. IThey told me there was a sign on front door. I went and checked. There was no sign. So we just decided to buy one item (for my son) because he was already there standing next to me. Then the guy started to crumple my coupon (trying to throw it away) I told him "why don't you go ahead and give that right back to me buddy" So we left. The next day I called the store and asked for the Genaral Manager. He was in a meeting. So I waited the next day and called again and asked for the General Manager. To my suprise he was , again, in a meeting. I asked for any other manager the the lady kept asking what the problem was. I told her about the coupon but before i finished she rudely cut me off and said I could not use the coupon for Amazon Gift cards. I asked her what she was talking about because i did not need freakin gift cards. She then said maybe what I bought was not eligible on the coupon. I told her that was not the issue. My wife and I made sure before we went to register. I finally asked her if she was going to honor the coupon and she said no. I asked who she was and she told me her name and had the audacity to spell it out for me. I asked what her title was she just said the general manahgers assistant. Now, if you're just the assistant, and have and ounce of customer service, wouldn't you get the consumer's phone number and have the general manager call that person back? (just a thought) instead of acting (on behalf of Best Buy) rudely and dismissing someone just like that? I will never shop at Best Buy ever again. I will tell all of my friends and associates about what happened because I was treated like garbage.
Raquel

Had the same experience here in Elk Grove, CA. Asked to speak to a supervisor.

Supervisor was polite but told me there was nothing he could do. As much as I wanted to throw a tantrum I felt it was out of their hands. My fiance and I shopped the store for over an hour before checking out. Over half of the time we walked around mindlessly because nobody would assist us, but thats typical at Best Buy.

I called corporate immediatly after leaving the store to file a compliant and demanded that my coupon be honored. Yelled at someone for about ten minutes and then asked to speak to their supervisor. The supervisor told me nothing could be done. I asked to talk to his supervisor.

He then told me that he would be the last person I spoke with today. I heard about customers being offered $25 gift cards for their trouble. They offered me no such thing.

I'm talking to a lawyer and writing a letter. So tired of giant corporations taking advantage of consumers.

We all know that.

BEST Buy can not control the message here. Only on it facebookk page were they ban customers complaints

Someone here sounds like a typical Best Buy employee. Lets make an excuse and then tell someone to move on. They must teach that in training.

Next time do not fall for a coupon for Best Buy. Instead go to another retailor for a better experience.

The coupon was a misprint. Get over it.

I don't know what you expect a different manager to do, corporate decided they weren't going to honor the coupon. End of story, move on.

@Simon

This is why I rather shop online. no gas or time wasted for them to make up random rules.

I had the same email and coupon. However the Best buy in my area honored the coupon on 01/22. They also didn't have anything posted. I am glad she did.

My 10 year old wanted a tablet but only had 69.00. I told her I would loan her the 35.00 difference.

That coupon made the lenovo tablet affordable for my daughter. Now I am teaching her a lesson about debt.

@online shopper

I always have problems with advertisement from Best Buy,From the 50... master card promo and 10% coupons and now the acer monitor.

#662042
@Simon

It's even more important that management does SOMETHING to either honor or provide an alternative because they released misprinted coupons. They did not send out retractions when the misprint was realized or offer an apology - simply waited for people to try and use it and THEN informed them the coupon was misprinted and now invalid.

It ends up looking like some disgusting trap to get people to look at their merchandise and then expecting them to still want to pay full price. It's common sense and a common courtesy for a business to actually DO something to make up for THEIR marketing mistakes.

@Simon

Are you saying that it is OK for large corporations to make errors but consumers should lick up and be quiet.I work hard for the money and am not willing to pay for overpriced products.

@Simon

lick my dog's butt, Simon....

View more comments (10)
Best Buy Manager

Poor customer service and online ordering. | Best Buy review from Ocala, Florida

Purchased a product online that is only sold online and was sent the wrong item. I had to go to the store to exchange it as I was told by the CSR over the phone. When I got there Brandon, the CSR saw me standing in line and went to the back after waiting on the customer in front of me. He was back there almost ten minutes. By the time he re emerged there were four people behind me in line. He comes out, walks to the register and asks if anyone has any returns/exchanges. Instead of asking me if he can assist me, since I was the next person in line. He was very rude and unprofessional. I ended up making a blank trip because he refused to exchange the purchase and told me I have to send return the item myself. I am not sure if he even knew what I was talking about. He glanced over my order receipt and threw down on the counter. I advised him that I was told to bring the item to the store and have them ship it back. He still refused. I called back to the 888 # once I got home only to be told by another rep that she would resend the correct order with a return label. I called back to the store to speak with a manager who was too busy with another customer to get on the phone. No one at Best Buy.com/store is on the same page. I will not do business with them again.

NO CONTROLLING THE MESSAGE HERE. BEST BUY FACEBOOK WILL JUST delete all your comments they are controlling the message

Antonya
@suxs

Thanks, suxs for the information.

Your story is typical of Best Buy's lack of customer service. There are other online shopping companies that are more reliable AND customer friendly.

There is no point complaining to Best Buy's corporate office as they are well aware of the customer service problem and do not really care.

The Dec 2012 issue of

CONSUMER REPORT rated retailers on page 25. Best Buy was at the bottom.

Antonya
@JohnT

Thank you JohnT for the information.

Best Buy Manager