Horrible customer service | Best Buy review

I'm very disappointed with your BestBuy store# 282 located at 1701 Belmont Ave in Baltimore, MD 21244. I purchased a few items on 4/19/13 for $325.19 receipt# 0282-060-0797. Today I wanted to return three of those items value at $97.97 plus tax. When I approached customer service the rep told me I couldn't return them due to the return policy, I spoke to the manager Allen Ditch, and he offered NO help at all. I explained that I was a Best Buy customer for many years and he didn't care. I'm losing about $100 and this is unacceptable. I will pay off my credit card and CANCEL ASAP. I want NOTHING to do with your store/company ever!!! Your employees are rude and unprofessional.

Why is it that people always have to mention how many years they've been shopping at a store? If they were truly shopping there for that long, they would have been relatively happy most of the time, so why would they let ONE bad experience make them mad? If you really thought they were such a bad company, you would have abandoned them a long time ago. If my ONLY experience is bad, or if ALL experiences with the company are bad, I probably will stop going there. But if, as you say, I was a customer for SEVERAL years there and was relatively happy (as I am guessing you must have been), I would have been disappointed at a bad experience, but I wouldn't let it stop me from shopping there again. Plus, you can EASILY access their return policy in a wide variety of ways:

1. You can ask the cashier who rings you up what the policy is

2. You can grab one of the brochures for the return policy that are available at ALL registers before you leave

3. You can go on Best Buy's website and look up the return policy

4. You can call corporate and ask what their return policy is

Really, you have a plethora of sources available to you to access the return policy, so you cannot, in all honesty, say that you've never received one. Maybe you willingly didn't seek to find out what it was, but that's another matter altogether, and certainly NOT the store's fault.

Bottom line: Do you research ahead of time, and if you're truly a loyal customer, don't let ONE bad experience ruin many years of happiness.

It's not that the Manager "didn't care", it's a policy. Why would you think that the policy doesn't apply to you?

The return policy applies to you too, no matter how special you think you are. Sorry you don't get to be above the rules that everyone else has to follow. :cry

View more comments (2)
Service
Best Buy Manager
  • #282 1701 Belmont Ave

No help after sale | Best Buy review from Reno, Nevada

I bought my computer seven months ago, and it’s broke. The power cord will not function to power the computer or charge the battery. The power cord was tested OK. The greeter at the customer service counter was busy talking with a co-worker and seemed not concerned regarding my issue. Then he stated I would have to purchase a new cord see computer person. Computer person tested a few items and stated it was an accident item (no accident occurred, mint condition), "you can purchase a new computer, or try your luck with Toshiba, (they won't fix this), and it is a common problem." Why has this tech issue not been addressed if many other customers experience the same fate? When asked why this was not explained at purchase "only seven months ago", he had no comment. He was not willing to do anything, check with manager, and have a tech look at it, NOTHING. The tech was avoidant, rude and flippant to any request or help. I have gone through the same treatment at “worst buy” before, when I purchased a cam-corder, fool me twice shame on you!! You could do something, your company chooses not to. This is not acceptable. I will inform as many people as possible, and they will inform others and so on; 10 people become thousands. I am a hard working middle class family and this is an example of why the economy is shot, from the top. Shame on you, and I will not return. Where did Circuit City Go?? Best Buy 911 Topsy Ln Carson City, NV 89705 (775) 267-3523 Bill C

That's why you should always buy the protection plans that allow you to get the product fixed or get a NEW one if there are any problems with it. Don't refuse these on items that cost more than $50.

I look at it this way: would I rather spend an extra $60 above the cost of the laptop NOW and have complete peace of mind that in the event of a malfunction, it's covered, OR would I want to have something go wrong with it and have to shell out another $300+ for a brand new laptop? The problem can be avoided if you buy the coverage. I don't care what anyone says: it's NOT a scam.

It's there to protect you. If you choose not to get it, the store is not obligated to help you, as you have CHOSEN not to take the help that they initially offered to give you in the first place.

How can you expect any exceptions after the return period if they barely even honor their return period. Best Buy is a joke.

Don't ever purchase any of their extended warranties and expect any kind of service for which you paid for. What a bunch of scam artists!!!

@Johnny Cullos

Johnny, Let me guess...you bought a product, broke it within 2 weeks and expect BB to refund you. The only time we don't honor the return is if the product isn't in the same condition it was in when it left the store (which means remotes, cables, lenses...ETC.) I'll give you an example.

You cant buy an IPAD, drop it a day later and then expect us to return it. However, if you buy the protection plan, you'd get a replacement..very much worth it to buy the warranty, don't you think?

P.S. We make exceptions all the time, there's probably a good reason you weren't one of them.

@CSA=abuse me

You can't be talking about Best Buy? The net is littered with complaints about the Performance Service Plans not being honored.

BTW, do you think he left as a satisfied customer? Eventually everybody will be a "non-Best Buy" shopper.

So ideally, the reading of a post by one individual (that most of us on the internet wouldn't know from Adam if we saw him or her on the street) is going to stop thousands of people who already shop at best buy and have not had issues with their products or do think ahead to "worst case scenario" and purchase that black tie protection with accidental damage from handling- from shopping at best buy? Good luck with that! :cry :cry :cry

And how is this Best Buy's problem? Toshiba is the one you should be mad at.

They made the inferior product and is the one that is not standing behind their product. Have you voiced your complaint to them?? Best Buy's hands are tied, they have to follow the manufacturers guidelines or they don't get credit for the product, defective or not. So if Best Buy exchanged your laptop for you, Best Buy would not get the money back from Toshiba.

Toshiba would tell Best Buy that that is not a manufacturers defect and not give them the proper money back/credit which if they did this for every product that the manufacturer did not stand behind Best Buy would definitely go out of business. So don't complain about something that is out of Best Buys hands, go to Toshiba and take it up with them. Tell Toshiba to stand behind their products. And Anonymous is right .

. .

had you not skipped out on the Accidental Coverage that Best Buy offers, there wouldn't be an issue--it would all be covered. Not all protection plans are scams, sometimes they just have to pick up what the manufacturer won't.

Why don't people understand that technology is trash these days? Manufacturers know it.

That's why their warranties are so limited. Best Buy does too, and that's why they offer their plans.

Bet you said no when they offered that, didn't you? You could've gotten this "known" defective unit replaced and went on with your life by now.

"fool me twice shame on you!!"

Acutally, the saying is "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me". That means shame on you for not learning your lesson the first time.

View more comments (7)

Best Buy lost a customer

I purchased a Gateway All in One Computer at Best Buy in January 2011. It has had to have the Mother Board replaced 3 times.....it went in a 4th.....they "fixed it again" Within a month, it is now in for the 5th time. I have a No Lemon Guarantee on this. It should have never been "fixed" the 4th time. When I took it in May 1st, 2013, they said they will expedite it 48 hours...and I will have some numbers for a new computer to replace it. Ha! Well, today is Tuesday May 7th, still no computer...still no word. They are so screwed up that they keep sending our "info emails" to the WRONG EMAIL ADDRESS! Not to mention the Wrong Phone numbers! They are rude and they don't care about their "Best customers" or they would be tripping over themselves to keep us! We have spent almost $10,000 in 2 years there. They won't be getting my business anymore. It's absolutely ridiculous to promise a fix in 48 hours.....144 hours and counting.
Augustino

The emails were changed SEVERAL times for your information - they had all the wrong phone numbers...numbers we had never ever had and emails that they were told were obsolete. THEY screwed up.

My situation has been resolved and only because I was on them 24/7 to get it resolved and only because the store "ate" the cost because headquarters refused.

I now have a brand new computer and I will never buy another Gateway Computer again.

The email addresses and phone numbers that best buy (and all companies for that matter) have on file are provided by the customer at time of purchase.. Just sayin. :grin

View more comments (1)

Don't buy from Best Buy Online

I placed an order online for an iPhone 5 last Thursday because I thought it would be easier to order online and just pick up at the store. They had a glitch in their system and somehow my order has become a "ghost" order that no one at Best Buy can apparently retrieve the details. They see the order but no details. The money has deducted from my bank account but the order still has not processed. I've spoken to customer service numerous times and been to the store. I know there can be computer problems with any business but to not be able to pull the order details at all??? It's a pending charge from my bank that they said could take a minimum of 10 days or longer to disappear from charging my bank account. No phone, and out $225.00. Never again! Maybe a month for now, I'll have my money back or a phone but I will not purchase from Best Buy again.
  • Electric charge

Best Buy Return Policy SCAM & RUDE Customer Service

I purchase from Best Buy regularly and even had a store credit card. I went to return a tripod and was told no because it was outside of their new 15-day return policy. As angry as I was about that, what was worse was the absolutely uncaring attitude of the managers and the so-called "customer service" at corporate. I have shopped at high end stores and BB's staff is more stuck up than any other "service" people I have ever encountered. People can say what they want about how people should "read the policy" but if you have been shopping somewhere for YEARS, you rarely stop to read your receipt every time. When I purchase electronics from Target, they stress the return policy at the point of sale. A quality retailer will make exceptions for customers or AT LEAST issue a store credit. When I called corporate they confirmed that it was up to the store to decide whether to issue a store credit outside of the 15-day window. They are just choosing not to. As a comparison, I purchased an iPhone 4 from Apple that stopped working a year later (after I dropped it). I had Apple Care, BUT when I purchased Apple Care back when iPhone 4 came out, it didn't cover replacements. The folks at Apple made an exception and gave me a new phone for FREE. I have since purchased a iPad and a MacBook Pro. That is why companies like Apple receive top customer service ratings and continue to outperform *** Best Buy. I paid off and canceled my Best Buy card the same day and will NEVER shop with them again. The amount of my loss was minimal, but I would have been SICK if I had made a major purchase and been told, "Oh, well. There is nothing we can do." I'm also convinced that the people here defending Best Buy work for the store.

So what if the people responding work or have worked for Best Buy? Most of us like/love our jobs and our co workers, this our platform to confront you self entitled, "rules shouldn't apply to me" customers!

Their policy is 15 days, end of story. I'm sorry you feel you are above the rules and should be treated special, but I'm glad Best Buy sticks to their clearly posted policies.

The "attitude" you received was probably because they're sick of dealing with you and every other princess who thinks rules shouldn't apply to them. You have a lot of growing up to do.

jb

Why did you want to return the tripod?

View more comments (2)
Loss

Misreprestented Insurance on Cell Phone | Best Buy review from Madison, New Jersey

I purchased an iPhone 4S about 1.5 years ago. I was sold the protection plan and was told it was EXACTLY the same thing as Apple Care but better. When I tried to use the protection plan I was told I had to wait for three days for a phone to come in (AppleCare gives a phone same day). When I went to pick up my phone the battery wouldn't charge after 20 minutes and they tried to get me to sign a form accepting the phone before confirming the phone worked. I was told I have to wait another three days for a phone to come in and they cannot ship to my home. This took 1.5 hours out of my day and left without a phone. I will NEVER buy a phone from Best Buy again. They misrepresented there insurance plan and tried to unload a broken phone.

Poor Customer Service from the Blue Shirts at Best Buy

I recently went a local Best Buy to purchase GPS device. I located the item with little difficulty. Locating someone working that area of electronics however was near impossible. When non of the Blue Shirts would even look my way, I asked a guy in a White Shirt for help. He was a polite and professional young man as he apologized and told me he worked for Cannon and could not assist me. I continued to wait. Finally I waved my arms and whistled to get a young man in Blue Shirt's attention. The problem, he did have the key to open the case. Finally with that problem solved I was led to a register. I noticed two things first was the dress code, the nylon hair cover. The second was that I was not given the device until I paid for it. (I believe was on purpose and not because he was being courteous...I guess I going to run out of the store) Last, with my purchase in hand and poor service behind I walk to the exit. I am suprised by the Yellow shirt asking to look at my reciept and the device. Okay so what did I learn? The monetary loss for me is zero. The monetary loss for Best Buy is a lifetime of never buying anything else from Best Buy. 1. Best Buy does not trust its customers nor its employees. 2. Customer Service is not a company objective. 3. I dont enjoy being treat like a thief. 4. I will take my business to someone that wants me there.

I understand Best Buy's need for loss control, so that doesn't bother me. But I, too, have experienced feeling invisible by the blue shirts.

I've gone in there intending to purchase something expensive and have to practically tackle someone to get them to help me. I've tried standing around, trying to catch someone's eye and can't get anyone to look at me. I'm a middle aged overweight woman, and I've seen the blue shirts fall all over themselves rushing to help a young, pretty woman. Last time I was in Best Buy, I couldn't get anyone to help me at all!

Finally someine saw me standing there and came over to ask if he could help me. I asked the question and he showed me where the items were that I was interested in. When I started asking questions about the product he finally admitted he was the Directv satellite guy and proceeded to try and sell me a satellite system!!! WTF???

I never did vet anyone to help me. I picked something out and hoped it was going to fit my needs (it did, thankfully). I am appalled. This is a huge change from about 5 years ago, when BB had the best customer service around.

Now, they just don't care. :(

Any product that is generally locked up or spider-wrapped is checked by the Yellow shirt at the front door, regardless of whether or not he or she just saw you pay for it at the register. It is company policy, as they are trying to deter theft. They just want to make sure that everything on your receipt is all that you are leaving with from the store. GPS units are not cheap, and they really can't afford to have $300+ worth of product just walking out the door. Plus, they do this to EVERYONE who has an item that typically costs more than $50 anyway, so you shouldn't feel singled-out. Yes, I will admit that it is a bit awkward, but it is really a good rule that is there to protect both Best Buy and the consumers.

1. It protects Best Buy from losing money

2. It protects the consumers by providing them with available products on the shelves. If shrink of a certain item repeatedly happened and no one did anything about it, then those products would NEVER be available, which would mean that customers could NEVER buy them, resulting in unhappy customers. So really, it's a good thing that Loss Prevention does this. It may be a little weird, but it only takes a couple seconds to do a quick receipt check and be on your way.

Lesson learned.

this started off as a complaint and ended off you being an *** buying a gps. first of all whistle at some one is pretty rude and the theive don't come into best buy and say they are theifs.

@***sumer

consumer...PLEASE correct your spelling. SMDH

Review

New return policy - YOu can't return anything | Best Buy review from Austin, Texas

I purchsed my 2nd wall mount from Best Buy. Neither one fits and i tried to return it after 17 days and they would not take it. Now I'm out $150 for a bunch of *** that I don't need and can't use. These people are full of it. Don't buy anything else from them again.

Okay, if you have any questions about the return policy, you should ASK the cashier who is ringing you up what the return policy is. On almost everything in the store, the policy is 15 days, but if you are a Reward Zone Silver Member, it is 60 days, I believe. Now, 15 days is PLENTY of time to determine whether or not you like/want the item. Why would you just sit around with a product and not test it out until several days after the return policy expires? Normally, I test the product out as soon as I get home. If it doesn't work, I take it back right away. If the store is closed, I return it on their next business day. You shouldn't wait so long to decide if you like it. Take it home, measure it, try it out, do whatever you need to do. It doesn't work, you're not satisfied, return it immediately with receipt in hand. That's often the best policy to live by.

If you don't know the return policy or you forgot to ask when someone was ringing you up, you have a multitude of resources to FIND that policy. First, you can call the store you bought it from and ask what their return policy is. They will more than likely politely tell you, "15 days for standard returns, 60 days for Reward Zone Silver Members." If you choose not to call the store, you can go to Best Buy's website, and there will be a place right on their website where you can look up their return policy at any time. There are also brochures that discuss the return policy in front of almost all of the registers in any Best Buy store, so you can grab one as you are paying for the product. If you need another resource, you can call 1-888-BESTBUY and they will also politely tell you that the return policy is "15 days for standard returns, 60 days for Reward Zone Silver Members."

There are all kinds of ways for you to obtain a copy of the Best Buy return policy, so you cannot say that the store never provided you with a copy. They are RIGHT THERE at the registers for your taking. If you choose to take one, that's another matter altogether. The store also has its return policy printed on the very bottom of the receipt, so you can look there as well.

Bottom line, as soon as you buy a product, test it out IMMEDIATELY when you get it home. If you don't have time to test it out that day, test it out the next day. Then, if you don't like it, you can simply return it WITHIN the return policy with no questions asked.

just tried to return a product that doesn't do what it says it does. They made an exception for the guy ahead of me in line but when it was my turn they said because I bought it online and they didn't carry it in the store, they couldn't make an exception.

They even offered me $50 (compared to the $260 I spent) off of another product which would mean they are getting another $150 from me.

I think I'm going to take them up on the $50 then dispute the entire thing. jerks!!!

They have a 15 day return policy. While that may seem short to you, I think 2 weeks is plenty of time to decide if you need to make a return.

What really gets me is this was your SECOND tv mount you returned?

So you knew there was a chance this one wouldn't fit either, but you still sat on it for 17 days and it's somehow the store's fault? Unbelievable...

I had the same problem, tried to return a camera after 17 days, no refund, no exchange, no store credit. Who actually has the time to return in such a short amount of time?

And why don't they emphasize this NEW policy when you purchase, especially when you say, "I'm buying a gift". They lost me as a customer.

@SueA

2 weeks is not enough time for u? Go to target, wal mart, sears and get u something...oh wait there return policy is also 15 days on electronics, guess your out of luck.

Phone Protection Plan SCAM !! | Best Buy review from San Francisco, California

Do NOT buy. Worst scam ever. They do not replace the phone upon issue. They make you buy a loaner phone (I got an old beat up Blackberry) not even an iPhone. $50. Then you have to come back and pick up repaired phone. You have to sign your life away that the beat up used loaner phone would not be damaged while wait for repair. If any damage to the already used loaner phone, you owe Best Buy FULL retail value of the loaner phone. Insurance was not what was sold or expected from company. I would not recommend this product to anyone.

Yeah, the loaner phone is only necessary if your broken phone isn't functional at all. The part about paying the full price of the loaner phone is false too. Sounds like you just got the bad end of the deal. I have the protection plan and have used it many times and haven't had a single problem.

PS did you think they were gonna give you another iPhone while yours was being serviced? LOL yeah right. You'd probably break it again! :grin

I have the protection plan on my iphone 5 32gb for ATT, they did not make me buy another phone, they asked me if i needed a phone for the meanwhile while they exchanged mine at the repair center and i left the $50 deposit, always make sure what you are signing take your time to read it because it said upon damage of the phone $250 would be charged to my credit card, it never said i had to pay full retail for a $500 phone.

View more comments (1)
  • Retailing

Best Buy's return policy

Bought a laptop and five weeks later it died. Was refused an exchange or return, despite the fact that it was a defective product. File a complaint with the MA Attorney General's office as well as the BBB. I will have to purchase a new laptop. I may file a small claims court action. I am now dealing with HP directly. BB will never get another cent from me. I am a great customer- I just recently purchased laptop for my son who is in college and an iPod. I had a flat screen t.v. picked out from Best Buy, but they will NEVER get any more money from me.

Laptop "died" is a very broad term. Did you drop it?

Was there a power surge? Perhaps you spilled something on it?

In my experience, the customers that whine the loudest are the ones whose fault it is in the first place. A laptop dying does happen but I'm also sure that the Geek Squad could have and probably did offer to send it out for service but you were too impatient to wait.

Wing

I'm not an attorney but I believe an attorney would say that somebody who buys a laptop computer does so with the reasonable assumption that it will last more than 5 weeks before it goes belly up. I am also told that most of those extended warranties you can buy at point of sale are not worth nearly as much as what they cost.

Patrick

well then I guess you don't plan on buying a laptop anywhere because a majority of retail stores have similar computer return policies. I guess you turned down the protection plan and assumed that the manufacturer warranty means bring it back to the store.

well you bought an HP laptop, there's no Best Buy brand laptop. oh well, *** people these days.

Simon sounds reasonable. You angry customer do not.

I assume you turned down the geek squad protection plan (which has no repair deductable cost) for your major purchase too. why is that bunk computer bby's fault and not the manufacturers fault?

#642090

The return policy is on a huge sign by customer service and on the back of your receipt. You have 15 days to return the laptop, which is the same policy as Wal-Mart.

You can waste your time with a lawsuit if you want, but you will be laughed out of court. It's not as if Best Buy has an unusually short return period. 15 days for electronics is industry standard. Your computer is still under the manufacturer's warranty.

Instead of :cry :cry :cry to anyone who will listen, why don't you contact them and get it fixed?