First "Best Buy" bullied, harassed and Blackmailed me until I called the Police to get my repair back, AND then they stole a component IN-STORE!

Update by user Jul 12, 2013

UPDATE: I let Best Buy evaluate the computer at a different store and found they also took a memory chip. I have a record of the meeting word-for-word.

Their follow up response was a direct lie in comparison to the meeting. I have concrete proof. I have hard proof of the specs my computer was sold with including s/n's of each part number in dispute. I have hard proof that the computer did have the factory installed drives right up until 5/13/13, just before I sent it to be repaired by Best Buy.

And I have proof that they had plenty of time to remove the parts while waiting for the police. I have a technician who will verify this.

At this time, I am seeking to prosecute each individual involved as well as the corporation for both criminal charges as well as a civil suit.

... Folks, don't let this happen to you - SHOP SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!

Update by user Jun 17, 2013

COMMENT 6/17/13:

(The Post Comment button wasn't working apparently due to maintenance, so here's my comment/reply):

@theone

Just because it didn't happen to you, that doesn't mean it didn't happen. I have reports filed with the Attorney General's office, the District Attorney's office, the BBB, the Federal Trad Commission, and numerous other Consumer groups including Consumer Affairs, Consumer Courts and many more.

As mentioned, this is not the first major problem with Best Buy and I have had enough!!

Just because others might blow their stories out of proportion, don't dare accuse me of reducing myself to their level. It grew so out of hand because I would not sign a document saying work was done that I could not verify was done, that speaks plenty about integrity. It would have been easier to lie and just sign it, but it would have gone against my conscious. Unlike many other people, I actually HAVE one. I've worked in law enforcement and studied martial arts from the best, I know what Honor is.

Believe or not, that's your choice. Multiple law and advocacy agencies are already investigating this - it's their choice and they've already chosen to believe since they realize I'm being honest, and that's all that counts to me. Easy enough to prove the facts, especially my computer only has one drive now when it's supposed to have two, and was still smudged when I opened it at home.

Frankly, my only reason for posting to all these other groups was to warn other people so no one has to endure the same, I wouldn't even wish it on you, nor anyone else. So it's your choice, take it or leave it.

Original review posted by user Jun 17, 2013

I am now seeking both criminal charges as well as compensation. They bullied and blackmailed me until I called the Police, then they humiliated me too. I took my computer in for repair at the Best Buy store at Kings Plaza on Avenue U and Flatbush Ave. in Brooklyn, NY. They sent it out under warranty and I also told them in addition to hardware, the recovery disk never burned right, so I needed a new recovery disk. It came back, I tried to pick it up today (6/13/13), I owe no money cause all repairs are covered. They refused to give me a new recovery disk even though it did not burn right out of the box. I would not sign papers saying all work was done to my satisfaction because not all work was done and I could not test what was done. Tech Andrew took the computer right out of my hands saying he was "just going to clean it" but then refused to give it back because i would not sign saying all the work was done right (cant say it unless I can take it home and test it). Delilia, the asst. mgr., said the same thing. I called the police. While waiting, I called the best buy 800 number. The girl on the phone told me I had to purchase the recovery cd for 40 dollars if I wanted my computer back. I told her I didn't owe anything for repairs, that all repairs were covered, and I was not given a disk, so why did I have to pay. She said if I want my computer back, I have to pay 40 dollars for the disk. I asked her name and said I was going to report her, she said "Go [curse word] yourself, I'm not giving you anything" and hung up on me. I wrote this less than 30 mins after the incident. Delila was right next to me at the end of call, and I told her what they said. She then said that's correct, I have to pay 40 dollars to buy the disk if I want my computer back. Again I emphasized I owed nothing and no software work was done and I didn't get the disk, but they were blackmailing me. I'm not paying for them to restore the computer, I can do that myself, and they won't replace the recovery disks that never burned right in the first place (won't burn it now cause I get intermittent blue screen issues, so OS is faulty, not making a faulty recovery disk). When the police came, Andrew and Delilia changed their stories and lied to the police, saying I only needed to sign to say I got the computer. They kept looking at each other and smiling, like it was all some kind of game. It was extremely humiliating, degrading and insulting. I was trying to be honest, and they lied and thought it was funny! They lied to me, to the police, they took my computer out of my hands forcibly under false pretense, they took my computer hostage and tried to steal it, they harassed and humiliated me even in front of the police, they blackmailed me too. This is not the first problem either. I previously had $150 gift certificate and lost it, and called them immediately. Even though it was not spent yet, they would not replace it because I didn't have the physical receipt since it was a gift, even though I had ALL the numbers written down and could prove I owned it. Not only that, but my last computer also under warranty with them was supposed to be replaced at 4 repairs. I had to bring it in 6 times for repairs before they would replace it, and made 4 extra trips because they would not fix defective repairs (the new screen had dings in it), IT WAS A NIGHTMARE. And now making things even worse, here it is three days later I just now turned on the computer at home to set it up to do some work, and I got another BAD surprise from them. Here's what they did. When they first turned it on in the store in front of me BEFORE they forcibly took it out of my hands under false pretense, I had both internal drives working fine (its supposed to have 2 internal drive at 500 Gb each, total of 1 Tb storage). After all that fighting and he took out of my hands by force while lying about the reason because I would not sign the papers saying work was done when it was not, now it only shows ONE internal drive. He removed the other drive on purposed because it was working when he first turned it on BEFORE the *** hit the fan. The *** stole my second drive in spite!!!

Seems like you have done everything so why post here. No one is going to believe you and do you think anyone of the people you wrote to is going to waste time on a 79.00 hard drive?

But that has nothing to do with anyone on this site.

I have been happy with Best Buy and have received very good service anytime I have needed it. I should let your keeper know that you have escaped for the hospital.

Marlis

My dad had almost the same thing. Like when he went 2 get his computer fixed, and they were like "U have 2 sign" and said no, so they like got the manager and then when my Dad got it back, so then the battery was totally gone, and he like took them 2 Small Claims cuz they scratched out on the paper that he gave them the computer with the battery.

He's totally took them 2 court and like won cuz they stole from him. So I totally get it.

First question,Are you on some type of meds?If not you should be.Why?Would "Best Buy"Intentionally take anything from you?It sound's like you are trying to get something for nothing.When you first purchased the computer,If their was a problem in the beginning with the computer why?Didn't you return the computer to have the problem corrected?This post sound's like you are trying to get over on "Best Buy"By not paying for a part that is needed for your computer.No one "Bullied or Blackmailed you,You are the type of person who try's to use "Force"To get what you want.Good job "Best Buy"Stand your ground.Don't let this "Fruitcake"Get away with anything he/she cannot pay for.Then he/she has the nerve to call the police.He/she should have been "Arrested"On the spot for having this type of nerve.

Baleigh
@Anonymous

All my repairs are covered under warranty, it's in the contract, full coverage. Period.

Believe it or don't, I don't care, it's your funeral. I have my proof, I have my paperwork, and the only people that I need to send it to are the Attorney General and District Attorney. You obviously are not capable of comprehension since your vocabulary clearly shows you are not capable of thought beyond name-calling, and obviously you are capable of reading since the TOS clearly state personal attacks are a violation of this service. So Good Luck when you go to their stores.

I am sure you will eventually experience a similar process eventually.

As for anyone else, take it or leave it. I posted to try and prevent others from having to go through the same nightmare, so it's your choice from there.

Baleigh

@theone

I'm sorry this story is just too *** to believe. Lying to cops?

"Blackmailing"? I mean get real you probably refused to pay to get a recovery disk that you felt entitled to do you made a massive scene then came here to blow the story out of proportion

View more comments (5)
Review
#420064 Review #420064 is a subjective opinion of poster.

I am now seeking both criminal charges as well as compensation. They bullied and blackmailed me until I called the Police, then they humiliated me too. I took my computer in for repair at the Best Buy store at Kings Plaza on Avenue U and Flatbush Ave. in Brooklyn, NY. They sent it out under warranty and I also told them in addition to hardware, the recovery disk never burned right, so I needed a new recovery disk. It came back, I tried to pick it up today (6/13/13), I owe no money cause all repairs are covered. They refused to give me a new recovery disk even though it did not burn right out of the box. I would not sign papers saying all work was done to my satisfaction because not all work was done and I could not test what was done. Tech Andrew took the computer right out of my hands saying he was "just going to clean it" but then refused to give it back because i would not sign saying all the work was done right (cant say it unless I can take it home and test it). Delilia, the asst. mgr., said the same thing. I called the police. While waiting, I called the best buy 800 number. The girl on the phone told me I had to purchase the recovery cd for 40 dollars if I wanted my computer back. I told her I didn't owe anything for repairs, that all repairs were covered, and I was not given a disk, so why did I have to pay. She said if I want my computer back, I have to pay 40 dollars for the disk. I asked her name and said I was going to report her, she said "Go [curse word] yourself, I'm not giving you anything" and hung up on me. I wrote this less than 30 mins after the incident. Delila was right next to me at the end of call, and I told her what they said. She then said that's correct, I have to pay 40 dollars to buy the disk if I want my computer back. Again I emphasized I owed nothing and no software work was done and I didn't get the disk, but they were blackmailing me. I'm not paying for them to restore the computer, I can do that myself, and they won't replace the recovery disks that never burned right in the first place (won't burn it now cause I get intermittent blue screen issues, so OS is faulty, not making a faulty recovery disk). When the police came, Andrew and Delilia changed their stories and lied to the police, saying I only needed to sign to say I got the computer. They kept looking at each other and smiling, like it was all some kind of game. It was extremely humiliating, degrading and insulting. I was trying to be honest, and they lied and thought it was funny! They lied to me, to the police, they took my computer out of my hands forcibly under false pretense, they took my computer hostage and tried to steal it, they harassed and humiliated me even in front of the police, they blackmailed me too. This is not the first problem either. I previously had 150 gift certificate and lost it, and called them immediately. Even though it was not spent yet, they would not replace it because I didn't have the physical receipt since it was a gift, even though I had ALL the numbers written down and could prove I owned it. Not only that, but my last computer also under warranty with them was supposed to be replaced at 4 repairs. I had to bring it in 6 times for repairs before they would replace it, and made 4 extra trips because they would not fix defective repairs (the new screen had dings in it), IT WAS A NIGHTMARE. And now making things even worse, here it is three days later I just now turned on the computer at home to set it up to do some work, and I got another BAD surprise from them. Here's what they did. When they first turned it on in the store in front of me BEFORE they forcibly took it out of my hands under false pretense, I had both internal drives working fine (its supposed to have 2 internal drive at 500 Gb each, total of 1 Tb storage). After all that fighting and he took out of my hands by force while lying about the reason because I would not sign the papers saying work was done when it was not, now it only shows ONE internal drive. He removed the other drive on purposed because it was working when he first turned it on BEFORE the *** hit the fan. The *** stole my second drive in spite!!!
Review
#419954 Review #419954 is a subjective opinion of poster.

IPad mini cover not returnable | Best Buy review from Boston, Massachusetts

I bought an expensive iPad mini 4G 32GB with Apple cover and film at top price. I decided to purchase a case for better protection. I brought the cover back and they would not issue a refund b/c it was a few days after the 15 day return limit. I could buy the same cover at Target, Walmart, Staples, or any other discount store and return it at any time. It's petty to have such a policy for such a trivial amount ($39). So now they've lost a customer FOREVER. And I was going to buy a new MacBook Air. I will NEVER shop at Best Buy again. Good Bye.

How is this Best Buy's fault? You tried to return it too late.

It's your fault. Your receipt clearly states 15 day return policy.

Patrick

I'm not surprised. it seems like most people who own overpriced Apple products act like whiny little babies like you.

Good. You should have bought it at the other stores to begin with. So don't come whinning like a baby.

View more comments (2)
Loss
It all began when I tried to buy the top of the line Samsung refrigerator with all the bells and whistles including Soda Stream from the Bestbuy in Oxford Valley, PA. I learned when they tried to deliver it that it won't fit in a std 32 inch doorway. Salesman never...

But dey still open doe... wouldn't you just have to ship it back and forth to amazon?

You must just suck at life.

Why wouldn't you think to measure the doors lmao. Dumb...

Service
Best Buy Manager
  • Bestbuy appliances
  • bestbuy refrigerator
  • bestbuy samsung
  • bestbuy delivery

Lost $130.00+ | Best Buy review from Metairie, Louisiana

Purchased tv in March and did not know they had just changed return policy to 15 days. On seventeenth day the tv started giving me trouble and when I wanted to exchange it. they would not do anything because it was over there new 15 day return policy. You would think they would hang signs around in the store letting the patrons know. This was a sneaky move by them. I no longer purchase Best Buy products to do this. The way I look at it if you cannot stand behind the products you sell for 30 days must mean they are not any good.
Mike_mn

Did you ask about the return policy when you purchased it? Or did you just assume it was whatever you needed it to be?

You stated you didn't know they changed the return policy. Which implies they changed it just prior to you purchasing the TV. That would upset me. But it is what it is.

BB changed the policy starting March 3rd. That's 3 months prior to this posting.

Lol....stated on receipt, and on giant signs at customer service. Invest in glasses, not TVs.

The policy is stated right on the front of the receipt...

So don't shop at Wal-Mart, Target, or Sears because they also have 15 day return policies on TVs.

View more comments (3)

The abhorrent treatment of a "valued consumer" *Best Buy*

Bought a Asus G75VW-BBK5 in late August of 2012. Need it for school. I attend DMAC in Boca, FL. BFA in Video Game Art (animation, 3D Modeling, etc.) Best Buy has had to exchange this laptop 3 times! Now this one is failing and they say I can mail it off (3-4weeks!) or pay a deposit ($400) to borrow the display model. The display model!!? Wow glas my business mean so much! The problem here is I am a 4.0 GPA (President's List) student if I sent off my laptop my GPA goes bye bye. If my gpa goes bye bye so does my ambassidor status and the finacing that goes with it. Which means I have to quit school. They could easily just help me get a different laptop even if I had to cover the difference. But, they wont. The manager Alex & Reginald actually said "It's not our fault you will fail your classes" How is it not your fault!!? 3 pc's days of aggrivation and waiting! Hours on the phone with Best Buy Corp office! How would you feel if everything you had worked so hard for was taken because Best Buy didn want to honor the warranty/tech support that I PAID for!!!??

If you are a 4.0 student... explain all the spelling errors.

You sound like a nut. Quit blaming other people for your failings.

If you are that smart you would be able to keep your grades up without a laptop.

I was a 4.0 student in college before computers were the norm and I had to use my brain and put forth an effort to keep my grades up. So grow up.

@Anonymous

Lmao....You two are dump beyond all rhyme or reason! 1st...

the *** and his spelling comment...the guy is in game development, NOT a Composition Major or Literary Works writer! So who gives a *** if there are a few grammatical errors...PUTZ! Which brings me to the *** and his comment about not needing a computer for Gaming development....ROFLMFAO!!!!! You have to easily slide in to WORLD'S DUMBEST RETARD!!!

How in the *** can you go to a class for computer animation without a computer you fool!!?? Man, there are some real "winners" out there! PS. If you two *** got f'ed out of $1300.00 you would be pissed as well.

Sure he sounds a little on the nutty side but, odds are he wrote this at the height of his aggravation. I sincerely pray something like this befalls the both of you and someone comes online and says something as retarded as your "statements" (by the way - you were speaking of illiteracy? I want you both to know I contacted this person and after some effort I got him to e-mail me proof of his GPA. He does indeed hold an AVG GPA of 4.0.

Not just 1 or 2 semesters, but every single one. So before you two idiots start trolling online I would advise a quick peek in a mirror.....IF you can stand such a sight!)

@Anonymous

OMG right...he said he used his "brain" to keep his grades up when he was in school....."...before computers were the norm..." Let me ask something then, did your brain go on vacation?! This guy, as the above comment so eloquently pointed out attends a school for a degree that REQUIRES a laptop (and a pretty powerful one at that - I CHECKED) for something like 75% of the classes!!

Animation, 3D Modeling, 3D Texturing, 3D Lighting, utilizing software like Maya, Adobe Master Suites (Photoshop, After Effect & Illustrator), ZBrush, Sketchbook.....and these are just a few! I don't care how "smart" you are, without a computer you cant use this software. Sure there are some classes such as Gen Ed, drawing (old school), and sculpting, painting...etc. in where you do not need a computer, but the vast majority of them REQUIRE it!!

So "smart" guy that can use software with out a computer...IF YOU ARE SO SMART, HOW ABOUT YOU ACTUALLY READ THE DANG MISSIVE BEFORE WRITING SUCH A BONEHEADED COMMENT!!

View more comments (3)
Service
Best Buy Manager
  • Horrific treatment by Best Buy
  • Kicked from school due to Best Buy
  • Abhorrent customer service Best Bu

They sell your information | Best Buy review

This company, best buy, provides the customer information for several other companies. I have a friend who bought a product and put my address as shipping address but he doesnt live with me. he sent me the product as a gift. After that, I started receiving a lot of letters from many random companies with my friend's name who (again) doesnt live here. So, whenever the costumer create an account, be aware that this company will share at least your name and address with their "friends" and you cannot control that. I dont trust this company anymore and this is really annoying.
Review

Don't buy best buy warranty!!!!

I bought a Amazon Kindle last July for my daughter's birthday. I also bought the 2 years warranty with it because the seller lied to me and told me that whatever happen to it, they will replace it with a new one because they don't repair no longer that kind of product. Well I went back to the store today and they sent it to fix. The manager couldn't help me. He didn't even apologize to me. I called to the 888-customer services, they couldn't help me either and they tried to shut off my mouth with a $25 gift card. Very disappointed!!! They lie to sell!!!

Wow. Best Buy employees commenting here blaming the customer!

The truth is that those Performance Service Plans (PSPs) aren't worth the receipt that they

are printed on. Even if they changed the terms of their so called PSP, they would have to honor the terms at the time of the purchase. True, the underpaid teenagers that work there

don't make comission. That's one reason the service is so lousey. You probably didn't "break" your kindle and you were probably told that it would be replaced under the PSP. Next time buy from Amazon, Microcenter or HH Greg. You'll be happier.

That is a true fact, Best Buy is not a commission based retail store. also the sales rep didn't lie to you the policy on tablets/e-readers changed 6 times this past year alone, and it isn't bed buys doing its actual the vendors doing i.e. amazon, apple, samsung etc...

So let me get this straight...

You bought a 2-year protection plan, broke your Kindle, and it's getting fixed? and you're pissed?

#1 - Sales-people are human too and policies change quicker than the weather in retail stores (you've OBVIOUSLY never worked retail in your life.)

Plus I happen to know that Best Buy employees are not commissioned sales people

View more comments (2)
Review

Do not buy the warranty!!! It's a lie!!!! | Best Buy review from Lakeland, Florida

I bought a Amazon Kindle a year ago and he screen started acting up two weeks ago. I also bought the two year warranty. The seller lied to me saying that whatever happen to it they will replace it with a new one because they didn't repair that kind of electronic no longer. I went back to the store and they sent it to repair. No one couldn't help me. I called the 888- customer services number and after an hour in the phone they couldn't help me either and they tried to shut off my mouth with a $25 gift card. Very disappointed!! They lied to sell!!

Bad mistrustful plan | Best Buy review from Vancouver, British Columbia

recently bought an I phone 4S form Best buy Location at metro town , the sales person advised me to buy a protection plan for my phone for 2 years , according to his mistrustful advise , he said all the nice things about this plan what so ever. BIG MISTAKE i trusted this guy how can he tell lies right? he is a BEST BUY person !! i was proven wrong , last week i cancelled my account with Rogers , today i called Best buy customer service to cancel my protection plan as i don't need it any more , I was shocked to know that i can not cancel and i will have to pay the outstanding amount for one more year even though i don't need the protection plan any more , the customer service person was very rude , i asked for a supervisor and he was useless too. So basically if you bought this expensive plan the sales person will get you to sign a contract for two years and will not tell you or even advise you that after the first 30 days if you dropped your phone or if you cancelled your phone account you will get stuck with payments until the end of the term. even though you don't need the phone or you are not using the phone . , i will wait few days and try again and if i did not get a resolution i will go to the media i will email every news paper and i will do everything in my legal abilities to get this plan cancelled even if i have to take my family and everyone i know and stand with posters in front of BEST BUY Locations. I already posted my case on face book and get lots of feed backs and actually friends who are willing to support me all the way............

did you try going into the store to terminate the plan? if they cant do it in store they can call for you. you can always cancel the protection plans......

@old emloyee

First of all you are a ***. You can cancel the protection.

You can't cancel in store after the return period (15 days) which started march 2013. You have to call 1-800-geeksquad for your cancellation of the monthly plan. You can't expect a store to have the abilities to do everything YOU WANT because you were an indecisive ***.

Don't be an ignorant *** and handle your business the right way. If you came in front of a store I worked at, I'd either kick your *** off the clock or call the cops and you'd be off the property in no time, you'd look like the retard you sound like in this post.

View more comments (1)