Best Buy Clerk Refused to Help

I purchased a Roku player at Best Buy some time ago, but during a move the power cord was lost. I went into a store to get some information about replacing the power cord. Here is my exchange with the store clerk: Me: Do you still carry the Roku player? Best Buy (BB): Yes, they're in the 3rd aisle over there. Me: Well, I need to replace the power cord for it. Can you tell me if you carry the cord, or if you don't, the specification of one so I can try to find one? BB: We don't carry them. We can't open the box to see what it looks like. Me: I just need to know the voltage, specifications in order to try to find another one, can you help me get that information? BB: Like I told you, we cannot open the box to get that information. Me: Do you think you could maybe look something up to get me some information that could help me? BB: No. We don't carry them and cannot open the box. Me: Let me get this straight. You're refusing to do anything to help me. You won't even look at the box, or look something up in your system that might be of assistance, or ask anyone who might know something? BB: We can't open the box, and that's that. She would not move or even try to help. This then continued: Me: Can I speak to your manager? BB: Why? Me: I cannot believe you won't do anything to help me. I'm not asking you to open the box, just trying to find a part. Where is the manager? She then pointed out the manager to me. Me, speaking to Manager: I just wanted to let you know that your clerk is refusing to help me. I just wanted to find out how to get a replacement part and she will not even try to help me. Manager: Oh, that's too bad. That was it. He wouldn't do anything. As I was walking away, I glanced back, and he was just went about his business, never once trying to find out what happened .
Sarahmarie

So you couldn't figure out by reading the box? If it's not listed on the box how did you expect the employee to know?

Considering you have to be at least internet literate to use a Roku I find it amusing you didn't go to the website to find out the information.

Instead you went to someone the is highly unlikely to know the information, and have no access to provide information other then what you have at home.

Roku sells the cords so why not just buy them their instead of giving a clerk a hard time.

Why not just go to the Roku website to find the information you need? Why should Best Buy be changing your Huggies when you're perfectly capable of doing it yourself?

@Simon

agreed. complaner, you cant look at the box yourself and read the specifications on it?

Best Buy Manager

Fraudulent extended service contract | Best Buy review from Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota

Purchased Motorola Razor M phone from local BestBuy store a few months along with a "Geek Squad" extended service contract at an additional 170.00. This contract was to include free immediate replacement in the event the phone failed. The phone failed.. I took it back along expecting a replacement. No dice. They said they would not replace it. I asked why.. and was informed they didnt carry that phone anymore. REALLY? Then why did you steal my money knowing you wouldnt be able to comply with the terms of the contract? They offered to send it for repair.. 2 to 6 weeks. Great... no phone for 6 weeks?? This is why I bought the freaking service contract. Customer service is rude... Best Buy are nothing more than corporate thieves... plain and simple. No wonder they are going out of business.. Personally, I would drive 400 miles to a Walmart before I would EVER set foot in another BestBuy store again. If you shop there you are ***. You will get exactly what yoy deserve.

So many lies in this complaint its rather funny... And if not a lie than you are so ignorant as to what anybody working there told you that it is even funnier

#719774

This is a blatant lie.

susan
@Anonymous

You must be that huge nasty fat guy working there that did the same thing to us yesterday....couldn't even fit in the clothes you had on....disgusting people working for a disgusting company. I will celebrate when your doors close forever.

Good luck ever finding another lame job. :x

Mike_mn

Check the agreement to see if they will replace it with a 'like' model.

Most of these 'service' agreements offer nothing more than a free repair, or, repaldement if a refurished/repaired model is avail.

ALWAYS clear your phone, if possible, before sending it in for service. There is no garuntee the same phone will come back, and you don;t know who's looking at the data.

Loss

A Best Buy employee lied to me and they won't do anything!

So on December 29, 2012 I went into Best Buy and talked to an employee about my best.options for getting a computer for gming in my price range and he said my best bet was to get this particular HP and just put a graphics card in it.. which I planned to do anyways. He told me I could put a graphics card in the computer which is the only reason I bought it.. and so I ended up saving enough money and buying one online a few weeks ago. I got it in the mail today and went to install it on the computer, but when I opened the. computer I seen that there isn't even a. port to put a video card in! So I called the customer service and told them my situation and they said they can't do anything about it. Even though the guy lied to my face at the store to get me to buy that computer they still wouldn't refund me, or trade it in for one I can install a video card in or anything. They didn't even ask for that employees number or anything! That ridiculous! If they won't refund my money or trade it in they could have at least got that guys employee number and done something about him lying to me! But they didn't. This is why I'm never buying from best buy again.

And a downright lie that a product you just purchased they wouldn't let you return... Yea, right.....

So you spoke to an employee 9 months ago about a computer and you just bought the product? To be honest, the computer market moves so quickly that you probably ended up buying a different model than the one you had discussed with the employee. I doubt he lied to you, I think you may have ended up with a different model than the one you looked at last year.

View more comments (1)

Comuter purchase | Best Buy review from Englewood, Colorado

I bought a new computer and paid their geek squad to install my information from old computer on to the new one. Got home and the computer was LOCKED and I could not get it to work. I took it back to the "geeks" who were all very young and had no apparent interest in my problem. They were more interested in playing grab *** with each other. I asked them to please put a rush on it (6 hours) as I live 30 miles away and ddin't want to have to come back the next day to get the new computer. It was not done that day. So I went back the next day to get the computer. Since I couldn't get it to work, when I went back the THIRD TIME I finally asked to see the manager and he came back and told me that they did not have another one like mine in stock and would have to order another one. A week goes by and I take my old computer back to the store to get them to install my data from old computer to the (second new one) They called me the next day while I was at the doctor's office and told me it was ready. I informed them my son was on the way to get it, but they informed me that only I could pick it up. I said "He has the paperwork, and you are TALKING to me and I am INSTRUCTING YOU TO LET HIM HAVE IT. They finally agreed. The data was NOT TRANSFERRED, they had hooked up the new computer which was empty of data to try to install it on my OLD computer. We again called the manager and he came out and I could hear him giving the geeks "what for" He refunded the money for the geek data transfer and my son took the two computers home for him to install the data on to the new computer. After all day working to do so, we ended up with the same problem with the Windows 8 computer. I went back to the store and the "geeks" were all asking "May I help you" and I replied "I would like to see the manager" They tried their best to get me to NOT speak to the manager but he eventually was called and came. I explained that I wanted my money refunded for the computer, and the nice manager gave me a refund. I've had it with Best Buy and will never shop there again.

Mr Imaginary Gets the Job Best Buy Edition

Hello everyone, you will soon get to know me as MrAppliedEverywhere. As an intro post I am a homeless man. I specialize in computer diagnosis among other things. Today's bad business is Best Buy from Carbondale, Illinois. For the past three years a few Geek Squad positions have been available. The ones I will be talking about are of course the computer specialized jobs. Now let us look at the job requirements for Counter Intelligence Agent. "Expertise in DOS, Windows 9x/ME/2000/XP/Vista/8 or Mac OS X Knowledge in troubleshooting hardware, peripherals, software, operating systems and Internet connections Proficiency in software installations and upgrades Strong research and problem-solving capabilities" Now I won't go into complete details in all of my skills but I specialize in all of the above as well as Linux systems and many other misc. system such as Minuet. I have the certification to prove it as well. One quick look at the open job positions for Best Buy Geek Squad would show that position is STILL available. How do I know the problem isn't me? I teach all of the requirements needed in this job as well. I gathered sixteen people. I downgraded some skills within their resumes as well as assessments. Some I upgraded and the rest stayed the same. No job interviews for any of my students. So one day I decided to call Best Buy management for Carbondale, Illinois. According to the hiring manager the position has long since been filled. Unbeknownst to the hiring manager of Best Buy. I had placed another student in another department of the store. The position isn't filled. The hiring manager does not call anyone for the Geek Squad jobs.

What a joke you need sales skills to work at BEST BUY not one employee I know has any SALES SKILLS. USED CAR salesman maybe, timeshare sales that is what WORST BUY hires. Be glad you didn't waste your time with this COMPAY

#719776

Or you could have just talked to them about the hiring process and any manager would tell you plainly that they do not hire right into geeksquad. It is a retail store Mrhomelesswillhunting they have to have sales skills to work there.

Also you gathering 16 of your homeless friends to apply at best buy does not seem like sound logic. So this is either fake or I am seeing the reason why you are not getting hired. And lastly, if people are using things like linux, minuet, etc.

they most likely will not becoming to geeksquad for tech service. So go figure why they do not want to hire you.

they do not really want people to know about fixing computers for thejobs they want people that can sell an upgrade (unfixable) you need xyandz and of course get the warranty!! Get the warranty for everythig (EVEN IF IT IS FOR THE SAME LENGTH OF TIME AS THE MANUFACTURES WARRANTY) yes they do not want real people that can really fix stuff.

they only make money selling stuff and especially the WARRANTIES.

gOT IT YET go to a place that really wants to fix something. That would not be the GEEK SQUAD

If you have all these skills you would not be homeless. No one is going to hire a *** in a teck position. I have never known any tech people to be homeless.

• Refusing to Hire
  • Carbondale Illinois
  • not hiring

Best Buy may be showing extreme paranoia to those that purchase items.

Having been a customer with Best Buy for years, today's experience will result in my cancellation of my account and no future purchases at their stores. I purchased an IPAD today with my 2 grandaughters. The sales person placed the IPAD in a clear, see through bag, steam sealed the top and handed it to me. I informed the sales person that we were still shopping and asked for a bag that was not perfectly see through as anyone could see the boxed IPAD and easily grab the item from us as the Mall in New Hampshire was very busy. The sales person refused to give us another. Apparently, consumers at Best Buy are all considered potential thieves who may pack their purchase bags with items they are 'may' steal. .....and apparently, Best Buy doesn't give a hoot if your see through bags with your $500.00 items are grabbed from your hands. My advice to Best Buy consumers...you are considered a potential thief when you purchase something and be prepared to carry Mace after you make your purchases.
Sarahmarie

Sounds like you're the one wearing the aluminum foil hat. Guess what they use those bags to ensure you don't put something extra in the bag.

They're the same ones that duty free shops at the airport use to put items in for customer buying at duty free. What's inside can be seen and it's secure and can be instantly verified if it's been opened or not.

What's to stop the thief if the bag wasn't clear?

Oh yes that's right thieves only go after clear see through bags, I forgot.

you are going to stop shopping at best buy for something as small as that? you do know, people do steal from stores.

and it does really add up. now get a corporation 100s of locations. if they loose 1$ a day to bag stuffing they loose 100s in a day. it adds up to tens of thousands.

if this is a way to stop some of it, then good for them.

and really, you sound paranoid since someone can "easily grab the item from us." put it in your car? hold onto it tighter?

or they probably lose millions a year in theft(which ultimate costs you and I in the end) and this is 1 small way to help slow it down by having bags that are less likely to be stuffed. don't take it personal others actions have probably resulted in it, just like every other policy or rule caused by few bad apples, happens everywhere.

"as anyone could see the boxed IPAD and easily grab the item from us as the Mall in New Hampshire was very busy."

And you think Best Buy is paranoid?

• See through store bags

Phillipines Calls Center is staffed with idiots | Best Buy review from Aurora, Illinois

Best Buy is yet another American corporation that has learned how to outsource their customer service to the Phillipines to frustrate their customers to the point of disgust that they will give up and not dispute anything with them. This way Best Buy wins. When you ask for a manager at the call center, they put you on hold for 20 mintues and disconnect call. They did it to me 3 times in the same day! When you call the regular 888-BEST-BUY phone number the customer service reps don't even care about the experience you had in the Phillipines call center and just transfer you back. How can a company like this have it's stock price soar 200% in a single year and treat customers this way? Something aint right here.......
Mike_mn

Hello.... this is... Peggy!

Outsource to the Philippines!!! Hellooooooo!

BB, like many other companies, have been outsourcing to various other countries for years. Wherever it's cheapest. Good for the company... bad for consumers.

Vote with your dollor... with any company.

Note: HP has been outsourcing it's general consumer helpdesk overseas for years. However, it's business helpdesk is local in the US!!! Even they know it's a bad idea. It also shows they don't put much value in regular consumers.

• Best Buy Customer Service Nightmar

Bad return policy ...not about customer satisfaction | Best Buy review from Winchester, Virginia

Won't ever be going to or doing business with them again. Return Policy allowed is only 15 days....with absolutely no exceptions. That is even if in unopened package. With such a short return policy they should be upfront when customer is paying.. Only if you spend $1000s of dollars with them can you get a 60 day return on an item..So much for caring about the customer. Purchased with a Best Buy Reward Card, but only "Silver" Reward Card members are entitled to the 60 day return policy. Wonder how many more rules are attached to that?

I think we have everyone beat on this one as far as really bad policy at Best Buy. We had to return several tv's purchased (all the same one) all well within the time period acceptable to Best Buy.

Get this ... We were doing all kinds of research as to why we kept receiving dead pixel tv's (in one case a cracked case), and lousy quality. Answer we found, "end run" products. So we finally had to say no, no more, we're interested in looking at an entirely different model to avoid any further complications.

Nope, they told us flat out that ANYTHING we buy from them in the future will be as a "no return" item, regardless of what it is (tv, frig, oven, ANYTHING). :x WHAT???!!! :eek I could NOT believe what we were hearing from them. :?

This isn't just "bad" policy, it's the worst I've ever experienced anywhere. Guess where we will never set foot in again ...

Nor our friends and family who found this to be about the worst they ever heard. Guess they expect people to just be complacent with bad products.

Sarahmarie

Another person who thinks they have a right to return an item they bought. Guess what they don't even have to take the item back.

There's NO law requiring it. However to be customer oriented they choose to do so, they publish the terms in multiple places, including on the receipt but then you complain how unfair life is.

Sorry but they've had to institute the short period to deal with show-rooming by people.

I agree as a consumer you should know the policy, but these companies and there CEOS make millions in profit each year and a 15 day return policy is just ridiculous. These companies don't give two *** about customer satisfaction.

I tried to return a $30.00 wireless USB unopened 20 days after purchase and they would not let me return it. Over the years I have spent thousands of dollars at best buy , but no more.

I'm not giving corporate America any more of my money if they want to have such *** policies. SCREW BEST BUY!!!

@Bestbuy***ks

so you wanted to return something after the return time was up? basically you ignored the return policy. i hope you realize all the companies that have 15 day return policies so you can stop shopping there to!

Target, Wal-Mart, Sears, and Radio Shack have the same 15 day return period on electronics. So, be sure to boycott them too.

2 weeks is plenty of time to decide if you want to keep a purchase and no, you are not some precious princess that the rules don't apply to. If it's 15 days for someone else, it's 15 days for you too.

Sara L

So, another case of the company being responsible for making sure you know what the policies are? Sorry, no. I dislike Best Buy and refuse to shop there, and I also agree that the 15 day return policy is kind of ridiculous, however, they have a right to set whatever policy they want, and it is YOUR responsibility as a consumer to understand the policies when you purchase from a retailer.

View more comments (5)

Downright Terrible Company Period. | Best Buy review

It truly is downright disgusting that in the great USA that nowadays its tough as nails to find a DVD you want. Best Buy are perfect examples being consistently under stocked and never carrying anything! It's like they deliberately did it so we would have to drive 50 miles to another store or use Amazon. Their customer service is horrendous. Many times I've gone in and have been ignored. Only when you start roaming around trying to find what your looking for someone walks up..no doubt thinking your trying to steal something. They make you feel like ***. Finally I used to work for them many many years ago. Worst experience I ever had. I had a *** of a manager who threw a hissy fit because I went directly to the store manager wanting to change positions so I wouldn't work for this tool. All I gotta say is I'd rather work in farm fields then have to be a slave to these corporations that don't know jack. Let's hope the lack of stock means they will go out of business.

yes, the lack of stock which has increased 3x in the past year...

Best Buy - Computing Back Office Department ***

I purchased a Mac Air on bestbuy.com on sales tax holiday. But the item is not available to pick up at that time. After one week, I received an email from bestbuy said that my order has been cancelled. I called the computing back office department three times and tried to replace my order at the same price without sales taxes. Every time after negotiate for a long time, they agreed to offer me the same deal. But when I gave credit card number, they just repeat a wrong number again and again and then cut my line. This is the most terrible customer service I ever had. I have four bars signal. They disconnected my call again and again and tried to make me think its my signal problem. I called the customer service to solve problem not to make the problem worse.
Best Buy Deal