Best Buy Reviews

Show reviews that mention
customer service service store customer geek squad phone manager order money card
Filter review

Comuter purchase

I bought a new computer and paid their geek squad to install my information from old computer on to the new one. Got home and the computer was LOCKED and I could not get it to work. I took it back to the "geeks" who were all very young and had no apparent interest in my problem. They were more interested in playing grab *** with each other. I asked them to please put a rush on it (6 hours) as I live 30 miles away and ddin't want to have to come back the next day to get the new computer. It was not done that day. So I went back the next day to get the computer. Since I couldn't get it to work, when I went back the THIRD TIME I finally asked to see the manager and he came back and told me that they did not have another one like mine in stock and would have to order another one. A week goes by and I take my old computer back to the store to get them to install my data from old computer to the (second new one) They called me the next day while I was at the doctor's office and told me it was ready. I informed them my son was on the way to get it, but they informed me that only I could pick it up. I said "He has the paperwork, and you are TALKING to me and I am INSTRUCTING YOU TO LET HIM HAVE IT. They finally agreed. The data was NOT TRANSFERRED, they had hooked up the new computer which was empty of data to try to install it on my OLD computer. We again called the manager and he came out and I could hear him giving the geeks "what for" He refunded the money for the geek data transfer and my son took the two computers home for him to install the data on to the new computer. After all day working to do so, we ended up with the same problem with the Windows 8 computer. I went back to the store and the "geeks" were all asking "May I help you" and I replied "I would like to see the manager" They tried their best to get me to NOT speak to the manager but he eventually was called and came. I explained that I wanted my money refunded for the computer, and the nice manager gave me a refund. I've had it with Best Buy and will never shop there again.
Englewood, Colorado

Mr Imaginary Gets the Job Best Buy Edition

Hello everyone, you will soon get to know me as MrAppliedEverywhere. As an intro post I am a homeless man. I specialize in computer diagnosis among other things. Today's bad business is Best Buy from Carbondale, Illinois. For the past three years a few Geek Squad positions have been available. The ones I will be talking about are of course the computer specialized jobs. Now let us look at the job requirements for Counter Intelligence Agent. "Expertise in DOS, Windows 9x/ME/2000/XP/Vista/8 or Mac OS X Knowledge in troubleshooting hardware, peripherals, software, operating systems and Internet connections Proficiency in software installations and upgrades Strong research and problem-solving capabilities" Now I won't go into complete details in all of my skills but I specialize in all of the above as well as Linux systems and many other misc. system such as Minuet. I have the certification to prove it as well. One quick look at the open job positions for Best Buy Geek Squad would show that position is STILL available. How do I know the problem isn't me? I teach all of the requirements needed in this job as well. I gathered sixteen people. I downgraded some skills within their resumes as well as assessments. Some I upgraded and the rest stayed the same. No job interviews for any of my students. So one day I decided to call Best Buy management for Carbondale, Illinois. According to the hiring manager the position has long since been filled. Unbeknownst to the hiring manager of Best Buy. I had placed another student in another department of the store. The position isn't filled. The hiring manager does not call anyone for the Geek Squad jobs.

What a joke you need sales skills to work at BEST BUY not one employee I know has any SALES SKILLS. USED CAR salesman maybe, timeshare sales that is what WORST BUY hires. Be glad you didn't waste your time with this COMPAY

#719776

Or you could have just talked to them about the hiring process and any manager would tell you plainly that they do not hire right into geeksquad. It is a retail store Mrhomelesswillhunting they have to have sales skills to work there.

Also you gathering 16 of your homeless friends to apply at best buy does not seem like sound logic. So this is either fake or I am seeing the reason why you are not getting hired. And lastly, if people are using things like linux, minuet, etc.

they most likely will not becoming to geeksquad for tech service. So go figure why they do not want to hire you.

they do not really want people to know about fixing computers for thejobs they want people that can sell an upgrade (unfixable) you need xyandz and of course get the warranty!! Get the warranty for everythig (EVEN IF IT IS FOR THE SAME LENGTH OF TIME AS THE MANUFACTURES WARRANTY) yes they do not want real people that can really fix stuff.

they only make money selling stuff and especially the WARRANTIES.

gOT IT YET go to a place that really wants to fix something. That would not be the GEEK SQUAD

If you have all these skills you would not be homeless. No one is going to hire a *** in a teck position. I have never known any tech people to be homeless.

View more comments (3)
ID

Best Buy may be showing extreme paranoia to those that purchase items.

Having been a customer with Best Buy for years, today's experience will result in my cancellation of my account and no future purchases at their stores. I purchased an IPAD today with my 2 grandaughters. The sales person placed the IPAD in a clear, see through bag, steam sealed the top and handed it to me. I informed the sales person that we were still shopping and asked for a bag that was not perfectly see through as anyone could see the boxed IPAD and easily grab the item from us as the Mall in New Hampshire was very busy. The sales person refused to give us another. Apparently, consumers at Best Buy are all considered potential thieves who may pack their purchase bags with items they are 'may' steal. .....and apparently, Best Buy doesn't give a hoot if your see through bags with your $500.00 items are grabbed from your hands. My advice to Best Buy consumers...you are considered a potential thief when you purchase something and be prepared to carry Mace after you make your purchases.

Sounds like you're the one wearing the aluminum foil hat. Guess what they use those bags to ensure you don't put something extra in the bag.

They're the same ones that duty free shops at the airport use to put items in for customer buying at duty free. What's inside can be seen and it's secure and can be instantly verified if it's been opened or not.

What's to stop the thief if the bag wasn't clear?

Oh yes that's right thieves only go after clear see through bags, I forgot.

you are going to stop shopping at best buy for something as small as that? you do know, people do steal from stores.

and it does really add up. now get a corporation 100s of locations. if they loose 1$ a day to bag stuffing they loose 100s in a day. it adds up to tens of thousands.

if this is a way to stop some of it, then good for them.

and really, you sound paranoid since someone can "easily grab the item from us." put it in your car? hold onto it tighter?

or they probably lose millions a year in theft(which ultimate costs you and I in the end) and this is 1 small way to help slow it down by having bags that are less likely to be stuffed. don't take it personal others actions have probably resulted in it, just like every other policy or rule caused by few bad apples, happens everywhere.

"as anyone could see the boxed IPAD and easily grab the item from us as the Mall in New Hampshire was very busy."

And you think Best Buy is paranoid?

View more comments (3)
Brooklyn, New York

Phillipines Calls Center is staffed with idiots

Best Buy is yet another American corporation that has learned how to outsource their customer service to the Phillipines to frustrate their customers to the point of disgust that they will give up and not dispute anything with them. This way Best Buy wins. When you ask for a manager at the call center, they put you on hold for 20 mintues and disconnect call. They did it to me 3 times in the same day! When you call the regular 888-BEST-BUY phone number the customer service reps don't even care about the experience you had in the Phillipines call center and just transfer you back. How can a company like this have it's stock price soar 200% in a single year and treat customers this way? Something aint right here.......

Hello.... this is... Peggy!

Outsource to the Philippines!!! Hellooooooo!

BB, like many other companies, have been outsourcing to various other countries for years. Wherever it's cheapest. Good for the company... bad for consumers.

Vote with your dollor... with any company.

Note: HP has been outsourcing it's general consumer helpdesk overseas for years. However, it's business helpdesk is local in the US!!! Even they know it's a bad idea. It also shows they don't put much value in regular consumers.

Aurora, Illinois
Loss

Bad return policy ...not about customer satisfaction

Won't ever be going to or doing business with them again. Return Policy allowed is only 15 days....with absolutely no exceptions. That is even if in unopened package. With such a short return policy they should be upfront when customer is paying.. Only if you spend $1000s of dollars with them can you get a 60 day return on an item..So much for caring about the customer. Purchased with a Best Buy Reward Card, but only "Silver" Reward Card members are entitled to the 60 day return policy. Wonder how many more rules are attached to that?

I think we have everyone beat on this one as far as really bad policy at Best Buy. We had to return several tv's purchased (all the same one) all well within the time period acceptable to Best Buy.

Get this ... We were doing all kinds of research as to why we kept receiving dead pixel tv's (in one case a cracked case), and lousy quality. Answer we found, "end run" products. So we finally had to say no, no more, we're interested in looking at an entirely different model to avoid any further complications.

Nope, they told us flat out that ANYTHING we buy from them in the future will be as a "no return" item, regardless of what it is (tv, frig, oven, ANYTHING). :x WHAT???!!! :eek I could NOT believe what we were hearing from them. :?

This isn't just "bad" policy, it's the worst I've ever experienced anywhere. Guess where we will never set foot in again ...

Nor our friends and family who found this to be about the worst they ever heard. Guess they expect people to just be complacent with bad products.

Another person who thinks they have a right to return an item they bought. Guess what they don't even have to take the item back.

There's NO law requiring it. However to be customer oriented they choose to do so, they publish the terms in multiple places, including on the receipt but then you complain how unfair life is.

Sorry but they've had to institute the short period to deal with show-rooming by people.

I agree as a consumer you should know the policy, but these companies and there CEOS make millions in profit each year and a 15 day return policy is just ridiculous. These companies don't give two *** about customer satisfaction.

I tried to return a $30.00 wireless USB unopened 20 days after purchase and they would not let me return it. Over the years I have spent thousands of dollars at best buy , but no more.

I'm not giving corporate America any more of my money if they want to have such *** policies. SCREW BEST BUY!!!

@PissedConsumer708801

so you wanted to return something after the return time was up? basically you ignored the return policy. i hope you realize all the companies that have 15 day return policies so you can stop shopping there to!

Target, Wal-Mart, Sears, and Radio Shack have the same 15 day return period on electronics. So, be sure to boycott them too.

2 weeks is plenty of time to decide if you want to keep a purchase and no, you are not some precious princess that the rules don't apply to. If it's 15 days for someone else, it's 15 days for you too.

So, another case of the company being responsible for making sure you know what the policies are? Sorry, no. I dislike Best Buy and refuse to shop there, and I also agree that the 15 day return policy is kind of ridiculous, however, they have a right to set whatever policy they want, and it is YOUR responsibility as a consumer to understand the policies when you purchase from a retailer.

View more comments (5)
Winchester, Virginia
Loss

Downright Terrible Company Period.

It truly is downright disgusting that in the great USA that nowadays its tough as nails to find a DVD you want. Best Buy are perfect examples being consistently under stocked and never carrying anything! It's like they deliberately did it so we would have to drive 50 miles to another store or use Amazon. Their customer service is horrendous. Many times I've gone in and have been ignored. Only when you start roaming around trying to find what your looking for someone walks up..no doubt thinking your trying to steal something. They make you feel like ***. Finally I used to work for them many many years ago. Worst experience I ever had. I had a *** of a manager who threw a hissy fit because I went directly to the store manager wanting to change positions so I wouldn't work for this tool. All I gotta say is I'd rather work in farm fields then have to be a slave to these corporations that don't know jack. Let's hope the lack of stock means they will go out of business.

yes, the lack of stock which has increased 3x in the past year...

Best Buy - Computing Back Office Department ***

I purchased a Mac Air on bestbuy.com on sales tax holiday. But the item is not available to pick up at that time. After one week, I received an email from bestbuy said that my order has been cancelled. I called the computing back office department three times and tried to replace my order at the same price without sales taxes. Every time after negotiate for a long time, they agreed to offer me the same deal. But when I gave credit card number, they just repeat a wrong number again and again and then cut my line. This is the most terrible customer service I ever had. I have four bars signal. They disconnected my call again and again and tried to make me think its my signal problem. I called the customer service to solve problem not to make the problem worse.
Atlanta, Georgia
Best Buy Deal
Loss

Best buy mobile catarqui town centre, Kingston, on

I would like to complain about the poor customer services that I received at this store. On numerous occasion I have gone in with problems with my phone and treated like a complete ***. I believe that replacement services is not worth the paper that is printed on. I have a Blackberry that is discontinued and was not offer an alternative phone. I was accused of tampering with the phone, by the manager of the store. Why would I, when I have the exchange warrantee. I will not recommend or purchase anything from this store ever again. Unhappy customer, Tammy
Kingston, Ontario

DVD

Just opened a package DVD Package since I finally made it to that Season and the DVD wasn't in there. I went back to Best Buy and they said since it was opened they wouldn't return it without the DVD... THEIR WAS NO DVD... So I spoke with a manager and they insisted that without the DVD I would be unable to return the product which, never had a DVD in it. I have never had this happen to me but it makes me want to open every package there for now on just to not have it come up again.

This exact thing happened to me several years ago at BB - the only place I went for music and movies at the time.

Couldn't prove it. Took the loss.

devils advocate here, but how exactly could you prove that there was never a dvd in it compared to just saying there was never a dvd in the case?

This actually happened to my husband at Best Buy a few years ago invloving a BluRay movie that had no disc in it. They did not give him any trouble about it since there were various other units that came up empty that day. There was something wrong with the shipment from the manufacturer.

View more comments (2)
Spartanburg, South Carolina

Best Buy- Ripped Off

I purchased a Sony Cyber-shot with warranty as well as the Best Buy warranty that claimed if ANYTHING was wrong with my camera, they would replace it. No questions asked. The buttons on the camera ended up malfunctioning and the camera would not turn on most of the time. Instead of replacing it, they attempted to "fix it", and it is still broken. Actually, it is worse and it barely even turns on at all. So here I sit with a broken camera and a lot of money wasted on this so called warranty. I will never shop there again. Ridiculous.

Did you take it back to the store and tell them it isn't fixed? They can send it out again.

Then when it comes back verify everything is ok before you leave the store. If it still isn't, have them send it out again.

There's something in their protection plan called the No Lemon clause... And they don't fix it in the store, so don't throw a fit with the agents trying to help you.

ID

Could not return an item

Purchased speaker wire 17 days ago. Could not use it so took it back and they would not give me my money back because it was 2 days past their 15 days .even though the speaker wire had not been opened. I live 30miles away so I couldn't get back to Best Buy any earlier than today. I ask to speak to a manager and they told me he was busy and would not be able to talk to me. I told them I would wait and they told me that he was not going to be able to talk to me even if I waited.

15 days is a long time for a return i find. i dont see how it is best buys problem if you cant know when to return an item as it is printed on the receipts and it is easy to read.

The return policy is printed on your receipt. The fact that you could not get there before the 15 days is not their problem.

View more comments (1)
Mount Juliet, Tennessee

Radio install incorrect

I purchase a radion from best buy, the radio was in stalled incorrectly. it short my whole truck out. I had to have it tow to get it fix. than call best buy about this. they said nothing. i am still waiting on a answer from them. i have called and called no answer with thge claim.it short my whole truck out. I had to have it tow to get it fix. than call best buy about this. they said nothing. i am still waiting on a answer from them.have called and called no answer with thge claim.
Norwalk, Connecticut

Camera Nikon Coolpix L810

Best Buy was rude and incorporate. My camera didn't work anymore and they couldn't replace it nor fix it. So they offered me to send it to the manufactory to let them fix it. It should take about 2-3 weeks, but I would have been only around about 1 week. Best buy can't send it back to Germany, where I come from neither can't send it faster. For this one case they weren't flexible or nice to me. I wouldn't recommend Best Buy to anybody! They didnt unterstand me or tried to fix my problem. I would never buy anything from this store.
Los Angeles, California
Loss

Best buy thinks it has authoraztion to my credit card

I have never bought anything on my credit card from Best Buy. I did however, make a purchase over 2 years ago,which was on 90 days. I had a charge of $43.69 unauotherized on my credit card.. I called and I waited for 1 hour on the phone,and I explained that there was I charge on my bill I didnt know what for. I had NOT bought anything from there in over 2 years. They checked the records and they said I paid it last year also. They explained they could not refund the one from last year, it had been too long!but they would this time. I didnt think if you rob a bank and its over a year, you dont have to pay restitution? Thats Stealing fom the customers! I want my money refunded $87.38 plus interest and my Credit number removed from BestBuy!!!! I dont know how they have my number anyway! I WILL NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM THERE AGAIN.

you DID authorize it - 2 years ago. when you signed up for that service you gave your authorization to debit automatically for a renewal.

it's not best buy's problem that you can't remember. why didn't you keep track of your own finances? you didn't take personal responbility. you must read terms and conditions - just don't click "i agree" when two years later you clearly don't agree.

it's your own fault. stop blaming others for your failure to remember or take personal responsibility on terms and conditions.

You can honestly expect a full refund in that case.. When your calling over the phone and say that a purchase you made a year ago didnt happen, how do they know your telling the truth?

If they did just flat out gave you your money everyone would be calling in doing that. Besides normally this issue would have to be done through your bank as ive gotten my card stolen and purchases were made that i didnt do and never once thought to call the company that it was made at.

At this point your out of luck though cause a year is a long time and a lot of variables can happen. Sorry to say but even if you called the police they couldnt do anything about it because it is your responsibility to keep track of your finances on a monthly basis.

View more comments (1)
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Product
Best Buy Credit Card
Loss

Name change suggested...."WORST BUYS"

I purchased a new 55 in VIZIO TV from your store in the Plymouth Meeting Multiplex on July 3, 2013. After researching I finally settled on this Vizio TV along with a Home Sound sytem and a TV stand spending well over $2,000. HOWEVER AFTER THE PAPERS WERE SIGNED AND EVERYTHING PAID FOR I WAS TOLD THAT DELIVERY WOULD BE ON AUG. 1th 2013. No one told me this till after everything was signed and paid for a low and underhanded way to do business to say the least. After thinking about it I went down and picked up my TV piece of furniture and asembled it myself. two day later I returned to pick up my 55 inch Vizio but was told after waiting 43 minutes someone had sold it! Frustrated your manager Vince came over and offered me another TV as a replacement and he made such a big thing about this TV was so much better than the one I originally purchased so I listened to what he had to say. The new 55 inch TV was a SONY Barava and I accepted the manager's offer. To my surprise I looked down the aisle and saw two employees packing up this floor model. When I discovered that I wasn't receiving a new TV but rather a floor model I called the deal off. Don't you think the store manager should have told me that I wasn't getting a new TV as I had originally purchased, but a floor model with only two pairs of 3D glasses, NO OWNERS MANUAL and NO BOX! Can any of your employees speak the truth? I then went into the return line and took all items off my credit card except the TV table I purchased and put together. BELIEVE ME IF I HADN'T PUT IT TOGETHER I WOULD HAVE RETURNED THAT AS WELL! I asked a smart mouth employee Ian, If he was sure that he took everything off my credit card and he told be TWICE don't worry everything is taken care of and that I was only paying for the $289. TV Furniture that I assembled. NOW, I receive a credit bill for $405.28 Sorry I one of those people who check their bills so I need and explanation of where the extra charges are from. I'm not surprised because the liars and cheats you must employee since I returned all my item are still trying to bleed me for some extra trumped up make believe charges. ALL I OWE IS THE MONET FOR THE TV FURNITURE $289. AND THAT'S ALL. You can be sure that I've told everyone about your store practices and in fact I am working on an investigative TV report with a local TV station to bring this sad buying experience TO EVEN A LARGER PUBLIC STAGE. I WILL NEVER PUT MY FOOT IN THIS STORE AND REST AT EASE THAT I WILL CONTINUE TO BAD MOUTH YOUR STORE AND TELL EVERYONE HOW YOU DO BUSINESS! NO I can't understand how this store name is best buys??? I'm sure nothing will be done, but I will certainly look forward to turning my story over to a local Television station. OH I went directly from your store and purchased everything and had it DELIVERED IN THREE DAYS! Maybe you should take some pointers from other stores and how they do business. The WORST BUYING EXPERIENCE I'VE HAD IN ALL MY YEARS.

Some people obsess over having it fresh out of the box. Person was getting a couple hundred if not thousand dollar upgrade but because it wasn't in a box refused it.

As for delivery I'm sorry, but if even one piece of the order is out of stock then the whole order will wait to be delivered. They don't make multiple trips.

I always ask when it will be delivered before making a purchase.

only 2 3D glasses? mine only came with 2 3D glasses as well.

though i am a bit curious, why a vizio? a Sony Bravia is a MUCH better TV in all cases.

though i do agree he should have mentioned you would be getting a floor model.

Honestly, you should have taken it. A Sony is way better than a Vizio, open or not.

And so what if it was open?! What are you going to do with the box anyway when you get home, throw it away? So it's open on the ride home, big deal. They would've wrapped it up for you, then when you got home you would've unwrapped it and cleaned it off.

At least you wouldn't have to mess with pulling a tightly packed 55" TV out of a box. And the owner's manual to any product can always be found on the manufacturer's website...

View more comments (2)