Interest-free credit scam. Best Buy will not take responsibility for employee mistake

The Best Buy salesman talked me into buying a very expensive computer by offering me 18 months interest-free credit if I signed up for the Best Buy credit card. I did so and, in the process of signing up for the card, he asked me to swipe my Chase credit card "for backup purposes". I received my Best Buy card a couple of weeks later but no bill. Then I received my Chase card statement and found that the computer had been charged to that card. Therefore, no interest free credit but 20% interest credit. I returned to the store and asked them to refund my card and charge it to the Best Buy card. The manager admitted that their salesman made a mistake and had no reason to ask me to swipe my own card, but she said policy wouldn't allow them to do anything about it. I contacted the national Best Buy customer service and was told the same thing - tough luck! Best Buy is hiding behind their own policies to avoid taking responsibility for their employees mistake. Not a company I will ever trust again.
Sarahmarie

Contact Chase and file a charge back. Inform them you where asked to provide a credit card during the application for Best Buy credit.

(This isn't as strange as it sounds) However they instead charged the purchase to your Chase card.

Chase will have a better time getting BestBuy to fix the error then you will.

Post on the best buy facebook page. Have all your friends post. go back into the best buy and record the conversATION THIS TIME.

View more comments (1)
Service
Best Buy Manager
Tags
  • rewards zone card

BEST BUY Simply ignores customer complaint

I find it odd how quickly Best Buy can come up with a retail solution rather than a simple fix. 6 Hours spent on Geek Squad 1-800 line, handed off tech to tech. They blunder through their little book and hand off to another tech, same result the following day to the point... I simply asked for my money back.. TO WHICH I GOT IGNORED Had the equipment not been shotgunned when it was released there would not have been much of any problem.. As much with 2 other lap tops... Oh we can not service this you need to get back with Dell... BUT YOU CAN BUY A BRAND NEW ONE FROM US
Evalena
#731990

Best Buy is a sinking company that's why they're downsizing stores & closing some at the same time. I'd be happy if they just went away!!!!

Best buy need to change it name to WORST BUY

Run. goodle the consumerist, huffington post BEST BUY scam, fraud, tons of information they FIX NOTHING!!

View more comments (2)

MISINFORMED BY STORE PERSONNEL | Best Buy review from Albany, New York

I’m writing to let you know HOW VERY upset I am over my recent purchase of a 40” Samsung TV – after discussing with the Samsung rep “Carlos” advising him that the main purpose of the purchase is to attach headphones so that the TV sound at night does not bother me while sleeping and allowing my boyfriend to watch tv - Carlos advised us that any cheap headphones would work – this is ABSOLUTELY INCORRECT!! After calling Samsung and re-visiting the store in Albany NY – we were advised that we need to buy $100 headphones to make this work. Now is too late to return the TV and we’re STUCK with it!!! All the staff at the Crossgate’s store and Carlos could tell us - SO SORRY!!!! - I have spend over $1000 at that store in the last month – purchasing a Samsung galaxy Tab 3 recently – and Christmas coming I’m sure I would have spend much more – NOT NOW!!! I will never purchase from Best Buy again – I will cut up my best buy credit card - I know I WILL NOT be buying the headphones from – Best Buy or Samsung!! VERY BAD!!!!!

Best Buy is awful. I was passed from person to person who couldn't answer my simple question.

While on hold I had to listen to commercial after commercial saying the Best Buy should be nominated for the first opening in the Blessed Trinity. What don't BB employees identify themselves?

Loss

They go behind my back to my wife when I said NO NO NO | Best Buy review from Fayetteville, North Carolina

They go behind my back to my wife when I said NO NO NO - Best Buy review
Told the tech at Geek Squad 3 times no I don't want to buy the 200.00 year coverage, I turn my back and the little *** sold it to my wife... They won't answer email and they simply ignore the complaint. Then I proceeded to call and email corperate which they ignored the calls, and email and when I spoke to someone they gave a very ethnic "You aint getting it fo free ya know".... Well seeing I did not want to begin with what the *** are you trying to tell me... As the Geek Squad goes.. which Ghetto did they get the hoody boys from

Wow.. that is super professional of them.

Love how everyone who doesn't look like a rotten banana, gets treated like *** these days.

Reverse racism is becoming a huge problem.

They should offer a refund. I would go into a local Best Buy and demand to speak with someone with at least a 7th grade education level.

This is between you and your wife as another poster said. Take it up with her, not geek squad.

They can't make decisions for anyone. All they do is offer a solution to a problem. It looks like your wife saw that and wanted to get y'all's computer fixed. Your wife sounds a lot smarter than you are.

You are an ignorant individual.

Good for your wife for being an adult. You're just a diva who likes to whine.

dr.marnish helped me to bring back my lover now i refer many clients to call him +15036626930 him for help , i wish everyone who want his or her lover back to contact dr.marnish

lisha Naidoo

Sounds to me like your wife wears the pants and you don't like it so you :cry to random online strangers. I would sell your wife too; all night long.

Except I wouldn't wait until you are gone to do it. You can watch; but there's a $20 fee.

Tamme
@stranger danger

yeh dont listen to the troll from Fairfield California the troll only dos it to get a negative reaction

Then when something happens to your device you'll be coming back wishing you had the plan in the first place. It can't be fixed for free. Sure you have manufacturing warranty which you would have to deal with on your own as far as shipping it, etc if something were to happen to your device.

It is your responsibility to control your wife and set boundaries. Do not blame others for you not telling your wife we are not buying a protection plan. are you a man or a pus***?

Courtnie

Is your wife an adult? If so then the guy did nothing wrong. This is between you and your wife.

Sarahmarie

Was your wife with you when he was trying to sell it to you? If not it's hard for me to understand how it's his fault.

If he knew she was with you then I understand, but what I wouldn't understand then is why she decided to say yes if she was with you when you said no.

This is where my confusion comes in.

View more comments (8)
Featured
Loss

These guys in the store are ridiculous. Worst Best Buy store (period)

Numerous times that I've purchase a laptop in this store I see: workers see me looking for or waiting but they stay in their group huddles, answering other people's questions knowing that I'm waiting to ask a question and then he would walk off, or blue shirts everywhere else except in that department. Couple of times when I was checking out, the cashier would ask me if I found everything ok. I would tell them "no" but have no more patience but to check out and leave. Due to this store, I did get in a habit of ordering from Amazon online and that's one of the best things that came of this.

OK princess, if you want help then go ask them. Don't stand there like a statue while you watch them help other people.

Service
Best Buy Cashier
Geek Squad f&^%ed up my MacBook Pro - Best Buy review
I brought in my laptop because the screen had burn marks on it. So I brought it for repairs, said it would take about 3 weeks to fix. I was kind of skeptic about this but then I decided to do it anyways. Surprisingly, it was finished in 15 days. When I picked up my...

uh you should have gone in when you noticed the picture color was off as you say. why the *** do people notice something is wrong with something they Overpaid for in the beginning , only to decide "hey it's not working right, let me keep using it though and THEN complain later"

and btw what would you have gained by yelling at the manager except thrown out of the store if not escorted out by the police?

View more comments

Money hungry | Best Buy review

when you receive your credit card interest free for 36 months and in that time frame you have a balance they will go back to day 1 and charge you high interest. Be aware of that. They will lie and pass the buck down the line when tring to ask for help. I told them right before I finally paid my balance in full they have lost many more customers and I did not trust nothing they would say. I made sure it was all recorded.This company will go down to nothing with all the people they have done wrong
Sarahmarie

Not sure what the problem is. What you describe is how interest free financing works at all companies.

It's called deferred interest. You pay in time and you don't have to pay the interest that accrued during the payment period, however you don't pay the balance off in time it all becomes due.

Very rarely will you ever see zero percent interest promos where there's zero percent interest charged for a period of time followed by it going to a normal interest rate.

Best buy the showroom for NEWEGG AND AMAZON. Not even a good show room. They push JUNK and hope are clueless.

I bought a Sony Vaio laptop from the Best Buy in Lafayette, La. years ago in the similar no interest plan (18 months I think).

At the time online payment was very rare and new. I was paying the minimum payment via mail for 5 months and then noticed that there was a ridiculous interest fee tagged on to the bill. When I called about the billing question, I remember I was talking to a 'I don't care' type of a person. She explained that their records show that our last payment was not received on time.

I explained that our payment was sent 2 weeks before the due date and also requested the copy of the postage stamp of the envelope for proof of date from USPS. She said nope and that's the reason why the interest rate, starting on the purchased date, had been tagged to the bill. No way to prove the received date of the bill paid, I sent the payment for the remaining balance the next day. I've even wrote a letter to the Best Buy corporate office and I actually got a reply back but only to read that 'they understand that it was an unfortunate incident, but there's nothing that they can do'.

Ever since then, I would buy items elsewhere whenever I could. Now I don't buy from Best Buy because of numerous other online stores to shop from.

View more comments (2)
Product
Best Buy Credit Card

Horrible Management, customer service and their Geek Squad contract is worthless! | Best Buy review from Spring Valley, Nevada

On Sunday, September 15, 2013 I had an employee be so rude to me over the phone (it had to do with the new laptop I just purchased and was waiting to pick up). I was so angry that I went into the store to speak with the manager. Kyle, the manager decided that it would be a good idea to have the employee present while I'm still heated and trying to talk to him. (Really, how long have you been in the service industry?) In addition, the only thing he could say to me was that that particular employee has never had a problem before! Well guess what, KYLE???? He has one now! I was so mad, I told him that I was just going to leave and that I know that he (Kyle) wasn't going to do anything about the situation anyways! Monday, I decided to call and ask for the General Manager, Ken. He was off. Tuesday morning, I called again. He's not in yet. Tuesday night, I called. He is in a meeting...maybe you should try to email him. So, I email him. It's exactly 2 weeks later and I still have not heard from good ol' Ken. I will NEVER shop at Best Buy ever again! On top of it, I am stuck with a $300 plan I paid extra for to receive help from the Geek Squad. I asked them to make sure to transfer all my information from my old computer. Of course, that didn't happen, so I called Geek Squad to help me download something. They told me that they couldn't help me and that I had to go into the store or pay for someone to come out. Unbelievable!!!!

Yes, it is so unbelievable that you would have to come in to the store so they can help you with whatever you need done. They cant do that kinda stuff over the phone.

Either come in to the store or have someone come to your house. But guess what? You have to pay for them to come to your house or pay for whatever service you want done. Why would they just fix/transfer/or do anything else for free?

Are you so special and so entitled that everything is free for you? I doubt the employee was rude enough to for you to make a trip to the store. And if he was rude, I'm sure he had a good reason to be.

Good luck shopping at Walmart and dealing with their superb customer service. You'll be back shopping at best buy in a month or so.

warranty DID YOU SAY warranty. It is nothing but a great big money making SCAM for the store. can you say scam

View more comments (1)

Geek Squad contract fraud | Best Buy review from Lafayette, Louisiana

Purchased a iPad at Best Buy and the warranty. Under stood that if the unit fails three times during the lifetime. They would replace it a new one. We'll my unit is on its third failure. This is due to receiving remanufactured IPADS First a reset button failure then a screen failure and last the one sent back to me less then one week later the battery does not last more 2 hrs. Geek squad tells me that my Fore Flight app is not compatible with I Pad. Fore Flight sent me a letter proving Geek Squad wrong. I upset Apple even let's them work on their products. Don't be fooled by Geek Squad people. Bring your business else where. Ohh and they don't return calls.

More like worst buy and they do this all the time with this FAKE WARRANTY. It is just a VERY LARGE MONEY MAKER for them.

Then never honor what they TELL CUSTOMERS.

Tags
  • Geek Squad lemon policy

Bye Bye Best Buy

I just left the Katy, Texas store and had a huge fight with my husband as he insists on going back to that store when we never ever have gotten good service or quality merchandise. We sat there for 20 minutes while all these staff walked around acting so very important but no one helping us. My husband's phone (we purchased there with service agreement) refuses to work for the second time!! As we sat there talking a huge fat white man (sorry but he truly was) in his blue shirt walks by and makes a snide remark to me about my conversation, stating I was right where I needed to be!!!! I started getting loud and saying that was very inappropriate from a store employee to interrupt me and make a rude comment. Sloppy appearances makes for a sloppy performance, in case you were not aware of that. A young sweet teenager was sent over to assist us and guess what...they have no FREE UPGRADES for our phone....AFTER TWO LINES, EXTENDED WARRANTIES AND SEVERAL YEARS OF CUSTOMER LOYALTY they have nothing to offer us. Well, I also lodged a complaint on the phone line and interestingly enough on the facebook page....I WAS ACCUSED OF BEING A SPAMMER on the Facebook page minutes after posting my complaint and sending the number to the main office to another customer complaining about, guess what, poor customer service!!!! I have been blocked from the page but that will not silence me now, it just made me angry as humanly possible. I blog to get my anger out and warn others of poor company performance, by the way. You guys don't know when to quit and treat people like the valuable commodity they are. I am hitting every website and public forum there is to blast your company. Obviously this is how your employees are allowed and encouraged to behave, your loss not mine. There are tons of other companies that offer the exact same items but with good customer service. My husband is now at Sprint to return his phone and I guarantee he and I will never ever do business with you again. No surprise that the building was nearly empty. Bye Bye Best Buy....
Sarahmarie

Gata - BestBuy has NOTHING to do with your phone upgrade eligibility. They're just like any other cellular store that offers plans from all the companies.

If the company you're with allows the upgrade they can process it, but if they don't they can't do anything. All BestBuy is in this case, is the middle man. They don't provide service/billing/support.

All they do is process the paperwork, give you a phone, and if your carrier offers to pay a portion (ie upgrade) apply that amount towards your phone cost.

charged over 100 dollars for extended warranty ,on p c , problem 6 mo. later ,refused to service, that was a waste of a hundred bucks!

I remember the "olden days" when Best Buy was a great store. It was understood, BB was the place to go for electronics.

But alas, even the Best tumble.

It is unfortunate, I too have vowed to never grace that business with my presence. Their customer care is non-existent.

Wonder how much Simon gets paid to do damage CONTROL FOR BEST BUY. wONDER IF THE facebook team comes on to attack ON PISSEDCONSUMER?

Seems like they can not control this message SO WE ARE HAPPY TO lose you as a customers. SICK DISTURBED Simon!!

@Anonymous

It is obvious Best Buy is trolling all the sites that complain about them...I never had a company respond to a Facebook post immediately and I watched them call another woman a scammer and block her for complaining too. They banned me but kept sending a copy of her messages to me.

Not the brightest group of folks!!!

I was waiting to hear from them, I have seen them troll other user's posts as well.

See, if they only used that energy on trying to please the last remaining customers they may have but alas.....no hope for BB.

Poor Simon, you are busted!

You honestly consider yourself a commodity to a store? You are precisely the type of customer that stores don't mind losing.

You act like a child all because the store wouldn't give you something for free?

Let us know how Wal-Mart or Target react when you start demanding free things.

@Simon

So you are the fat nasty employee I had to deal with Simon. There was no customers and there are two less.

I don't shop at Walmart, so when you lose your Best Buy job you can go work there and know you will not see my face there either.

At least you can read and write..I had my doubts about that. :grin

@Simon

By the way, obviously you don't read well..it was an upgrade for a cell phone that has a paid warranty and for multiple lines, the second piece of *** phone we got from them...but no worries..it was all cancelled. They can eat those phones for all I care.

It looks like they eat everything and move very seldom. ring a bell???

Exercise is your friend Simon, as well as education. I give this advice to you FREE.

@Simon

Just one last thing I must say to you Simon....it is false advertising to offer something you have no intention of providing (FREE UPGRADE AFTER TWO YEARS) which is illegal, and why on Earth would we pay for a phone from them when the original one we PAID FOR is a piece of trash. Simon, I could enlighten you for days but you would need a brain to absorb the advice I could give you on providing CUSTOMER SERVICE which this company obviously does not do.

I know it is a lost cause, I have seen the ratings for Best Buy all over the web...but I feel better having provided my warnings to others that may foolishly think that Best Buy is a viable option for customer products.

Bye Bye Best Buy and you too Simon. :p

Same story different people. This is just HOW THEY WANTED TO TREAT YOU.

They are known for belittling customers. Wait did you give them your computer they know just what is wrong with it.

ITS THE HARD Drive. Every customers needa s new HARD DRIVE didn't you know that.

View more comments (12)