Filter by rating :
filters

A tale: my recent experiences with Best Buy

This all culminated about a year ago, but I gathered all correspondence into one document. It has now become a bit of a joke amongst my friends and I'm asked to read it at parties. I even read it onstage recently at a storytelling show... I don't think it's all that entertaining (except Cherie's response at the end), but people always roll in the aisles... probably just because I get all red-faced and do some silly voices while I'm reading it. A few friends encouraged me to post it on some customer service forums to see what happened. If you actually read all of this, I'd like some advice as to where I went wrong. What should I do in the future when these kinds of problems arise? Best Buy is pretty much the only electronics retailer left in my town, so I'm kind of stuck with them. I like *buying* things there, but I hate *shopping* there. Any advice is appreciated! I'm expecting nothing, as usual, but here goes... I sent this via the 'contact us' page on 11/8/12: At the behest of your customer service representative, I would like to write about my frustrations with Best Buy. I will recount the most recent experience first. On October 17, 2012, I received an email that I had until November 17 to use a Reward Zone certificate. Shortly afterward, I attempted to redeem it at bestbuy.com but received two alternating error messages: "We do not recognize the following Reward Certificates: ###########. Please try another Reward Certificate." And (paraphrased) The Reward Certificate number does not match the Member number. I attempted to use the certificate several times over the next three weeks, but received the same error message(s). I attempted to resolve the problem via online chat, but was told to call 888-BESTBUY and speak to a Reward Zone representative. Every single experience I’ve had with calling in has been incredibly time-consuming, and no issue has ever been resolved, so I asked if there was any other way to resolve the issue and was told no. This morning at 8:17am central, I called 888-BESTBUY and asked to speak with a Reward Zone representative. The first person I spoke with had difficulty understanding my problem at first. I was put on hold several times and after I was able to fully explain the situation, the representative told me to print the certificate and bring it to a store. I explained that because of transportation issues, this is not an option for me. I was put on hold again and then told that there was a "system problem" and to try again in 24 to 48 hours. At this point I asked to speak with someone else. At approximately 35 minutes into the call, I was connected with a Reward Zone supervisor to whom I re-explained the problem. She initially thought it might be a problem with my original certificate, so she issued me another one. I tried that one and received the same error message. She told me to print it and come to a store. I re-explained my situation and was put on hold. At approximately 50 minutes into the call, the representative took the SKU and my payment information and attempted to place my order for me, but received the same error message. For a third time, I was told to print the certificate and bring it to a store, so I re-explained that that is not an option. At approximately 1 hour into the call, I was connected to a customer service representative in a different department. I’m not exactly sure what the purpose of this transfer was. The Reward Zone supervisor stayed on the line and the two of them talked about my situation. After I explained again that I wouldn’t be able to come to the store, the customer service rep looked to see if I could be issued a gift card to substitute for the Reward Zone certificate. Unfortunately, that wasn’t an option, so she had to tell me that there was simply nothing anyone could do for me. At approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes into the call, I asked if she could at least have an extension on the expiration date for my certificate. She said that she couldn’t do that but that she could transfer me to the Reward Zone department. I explained that I simply didn’t have any more time, as I needed to get ready for work. She was very apologetic, and the whole exchange was very civil, but I wanted to make it clear that this astoundingly inefficient and incompetent level of service is no longer an anomaly at Best Buy… it has become the norm. On that note, let me now copy you on a letter that I wrote to the store manager for the Champaign, IL Best Buy store about an experience I had earlier this year: . 1/6/12 To Whom It May Concern: I wanted to write a note about my recent shopping experience at Best Buy, Champaign, when I bought a new iPhone 4S. First and foremost, I don’t want to be "that guy," and write a scathing note to get anyone fired. I’m not really angry or anything… Rather, I’m a front line manager for another business here in town and after consideration, I figured that I would want to know if one of my customers had an experience like this one. I’m not a letter-writer, but I couldn’t find any other way to contact management. On Friday afternoon, January 6th, 2012, I came to the store with the intention of re-upping my AT&T plan and purchasing a new iPhone since I had gotten a gift card for Christmas. I went straight to the Mobile section and wandered for about 20 minutes. They were busy, so no one approached me, so I browsed around the store for a bit. Every time I returned, I received no attention. After approximately two hours in the store, I had to be somewhere else, so I had to leave. I went online that afternoon and purchased the iPhone through bestbuy.com. I quickly received an email that my order was ready for in store pickup. I was coming from out of town, so I couldn’t get to the store until about 8:15pm (the email mentions that pickup hours end at 9pm). I went to the customer service counter, and after a brief back and forth on the radio, I was told that my phone was at the mobile section. The mobile section was just as busy as it was earlier in the day, so after about a ten-minute wait, each of the three representatives (#1, #2 and #3) individually asked me what I needed. Each time I was asked, I gave my order number and said that I was picking up a phone. I watched as each of the three reps checked in the same two places for my phone, and then went back to helping someone else. When a fourth person (#4) came from a different area and asked if I had been helped, I said, "not really." I gave him my order number and said I was picking up a phone. He checked the same two places, conferred with the other three reps for a bit, and they said that I needed to go to customer service. I said that I had been there already, so #4 went to CS to check. After about a 10 minute wait (it was about 8:50pm at this point), #4 came back and said that the paperwork for my pickup was in the warehouse, but the phone was still in the mobile section. So he gave my paperwork to #3 and left. It was about 9:05pm when #1 asked if I had been helped yet. I said that #3 had my paperwork for my pickup. He looked at it and got an iPhone out of the drawer and spent the next 15 minutes or so activating it. That whole process went smoothly and #1 was very helpful during the activation process. At about 9:20, He handed me my phone and it was working immediately. Then, he asked me how I was going to pay for it. The two obvious issues were: #1 I had already paid for it online and #2 The readout was saying that I owed $700 for the phone, but it was actually just $212 with the re-upping of my contract. I told #1 both of these facts, and he asked #3 what he should do. #3 asked me "are you sure you paid for it?" I said yes and re-stated my order number. #1 called on his radio for help. A young lady (#5) came to his station and tried to help. After a short while, #5 said, "sorry, I can’t help you" and left. #3 also left and she started to clean the area around the mobile section. So #1 and #2 spent about 25 minutes figuring out how to apply my payment while I sat and waited. Finally, I took a brief bathroom break and when I returned, they had figured out the payment and said I could leave. I felt pretty guilty at this point, as #1 told me several times that the whole debacle had caused him to miss his last bus and he was going to have to find a ride home. I was interested in the black tie protection, but didn’t want to delay any more, so I figure I’ll have to come back to brave the storm at a future date. All in all, I’m happy with my iPhone. But needless to say, the whole process was pretty exhausting. I don’t know if it’s just my bad luck, but my last four shopping experiences (a laptop, two phones and an entire home theater system) at Best Buy have been some sort of train wreck, dealing with staff members who are either stretched way too thin (i.e. trying to help several customers at the same time) or undertrained on your system. I shop at Best Buy because of the selection, but the service has been so grossly substandard in recent years that I don’t see myself returning. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak further about this experience if you think it would help. My contact information is below. . I received no response to this letter. I would appreciate any sort of response to this correspondence. I’m an "electronics junkie" and I shop at Best Buy for the selection and, for some reason, out of a sense of loyalty since I’ve been going there for so long. However, I am considering switching to another retailer because every single experience I have had with your company over the last year has been incredibly frustrating. My time is valuable to me, but I don’t feel that it is worth anything when I am in your store or speaking with a representative of your company. And the kicker... here's the email response I received on 11/10/12. I haven't edited it at all (except for one swear word, which Best Buy's forum, ironically, is making me edit), so please forgive the myriad spelling and punctuation errors: Hi Mike, I am Cherie with Best Buy Customer Care. First and foremost allow me to apologize on behalf of the BestBuy group for the inconvenience you have experienced everytime you placed an order via online and instore.At Best Buy, we understand the importance of good service, as well as how frustrating poor service can be.Your experience with the agents approaches has been unpleasant.And,I really do appreciated your patience towards us,from all situations you have encountered with us wasn't really good at all but still you seemed to stay calm to give your repeated words/phrases just for the agents and manager to fully understand your issue and you still don't get too much pis-ed off.We salute you for that.We can't blame you if your decision to let go Bestbuy as one of your "favorite" store.We respect and understand you mike to that.For whatever dissapointing expections had happened to you from us would be our lessons to improve that and we thank you for that.This ain't a negative compliments to us but to face as positive challenge to take back our customers who has been dissapointed and left Bestbuy too as you are with our service.We will value this forever.Again sorry for everything that you have experienced from us.You will be valued Mike as our loyal and thoughtful costumer from Bestbuy and would always welcome you if you wish to do a purchased from us.May GodBless you always and Have good day! Sincerely,CherieBest Buy Customer Care Team
Courtnie

Where was the "rolling in the aisles" part? All I saw was a long, drawn-out, dry exchange that you created by refusing to come to the store.

Why couldn't you meet them half-way and do that? I call pure BS on this and that last letter was definitely a fake to make Best Buy look bad.

Wow wonder if lisa smith goes by Cherie. Pm her https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1095653427&fref=ts

Service
Best Buy Customer Care

Tried to rip me off | Best Buy review from Eastsound, Washington

Went into the Tualatin Oregon store with my Garmin GPS to try get it fixed.. It was locked up and would not do any thing. Any ways the Geek Squad want 152$ plus 21$ shipping. They would not even look at it, Told them no way,was told I could leave there store. That's fine and that's what I did. Took my GPS home pluged it in to my computer and in less than 1 minute it was fixe and working fine. So much for all the thousands of dollars I've spent with Best Buy. I will never give them a mother penny of my money.

Let us rewrite this, shall we:

"I am an uneducated consumer who has no idea how to operate technical devices more complex than a pencil sharpener. I went into Best Buy, acted like a total spaz because they could not fix my GPS on the spot, and was asked to leave the store.

I went home and then did some of the basic common-sense things any semi-literate technology owner would know how to do and my device worked.

Since I am too narcissistic to admit my own faults, I decided to write a lame letter on the Pissed Consumer web site so I could at least pretend I was not the one at fault here. Being me is difficult. Being of far below average I.Q. makes me lash out at the world."

Review
My Story of Trying to Get my Batman: Arkham Origins Pre-Order Firstly, let me state that I fully understand that mistakes happen. The imperfect human condition means that no person, company, or system will ever operate without at least a few hiccups. However, it seems...

sounds just like worst buy to me. Where will you spend your GAMING money next time?

not worst buy?? lesson learned!! I sure hope so SPEAK WITH YOUR WALLET. Where will you spend your money next time you need an appliance?

Not worst Buy speak with your wallet!!!!

• Batman Arkham Origins
  • PC Gaming

Worst experiance Ever | Best Buy review from Findlay, Ohio

I ordered a computer for my Mother through Best Buy. The Computer never did work right so we were told to send it back. After a month and a half without hearing anything from them we started trying to find out what was going on. I spent hours on the phone and talked to six different people over a 2 week span. Finally one Lady got something done and the computer was sent back to us stating that it looked like an old used computer that looked like it had been purchased from the store. So all in all BEST BUY are cheats and rip off artist that sell used equipment for new prices and refuse to take them back.

this is a shame to hear.

are you sure it wasnt an "open box" item? i know that they do sell "open box" items at a small discounted price.

i personally have never had problems though it is a shame you did.

worst buy did you say worst buy!! Run DO NOT buy from worst buy

Review

WORST DELIVERY AND CUSTOMER SERVICE | Best Buy review from Fayetteville, North Carolina

WORST DELIVERY AND CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE. I purchased my 6th TV (42" flat screen) from Best Buy on Sunday Oct. 27th 2013. It was a online purchase for my Mothers 74th Birthday and was to be delivered to and installed at her home in Fayetteville, NC. (THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A SURPRISE)The website gave me a window for delivery info (who to send it to) but did not give me a window to schedule a delivery date and time as it was suppose to. So the next day (Monday Oct. 28th 2013) I called Best buy who transferred me to a person to schedule the delivery. This young lady did not know what she was doing. Even though she claimed she was looking at my purchase order on her computer, she gave me the wrong delivery address, didn't know the item purchased and she made mistake after mistake. It took her 57 minute's to schedule this delivery. When I asked to speak to a manager she told me she was in contact with her manager to help her schedule the delivery. Finally the TV was scheduled to be delivered and installed Sat. Nov. 02, 2013 between 12pm & 4pm. WELL, the TV arrived yesterday (Wednesday Oct. 31 2013) via UPS. NO ONE WAS HOME SO THE UPS MAN LEFT THE TV OUTSIDE, ON THE SIDE OF THE HOUSE. IT SAT THERE ALL DAY. (Thank God it's a good neighborhood) Now my Mom see's the note from ups that a TV was delivered and left at the back of the house and at 73 yrs old she can't move it. I get notified at 4:40pm. So I called Best Buy Customer Service and spoke to "JUSTIN". He tells me there's nothing they can do until maybe Saturday. I asked him to send a rep. from Best Buy in Fayetteville (8 miles from my Mothers home) to bring the TV inside the house. He said he couldn't do that. I live in NJ so my sister in Durham NC (2hrs away) had to drive down to Fayetteville to bring the TV in and install it. THANK YOU "BEST BUY" FOR SCREWING UP DELIVERY, MY SISTERS DAY AND THE SURPRISE PARTY
Sarahmarie

It sounds like you're confused by what you where getting. The TV was shipped via UPS like it should have been. However you took the install date to be the date the TV would arrive. Sorry but that's not how it works. There's no such thing as Saturday UPS delivery. It's clear from the way you describe the order process that you assumed something worked one way. What they offered was shipping (which occurred) and installation, not delivery and installation. Note the first involves shipping the item via UPS, USPS, FedEx, ie shipping. The second involves them bringing the item with them. It doesn't matter if it's BestBuy, or any other company if you order online the item is going to be shipped. If you order straight from the store the store could deliver since they can take one out of their stock. Remember that online and brick stores are separate.

Sorry but you got what they said they would do. You just misunderstood what was going to happen and are unhappy now because of it.

Bottom line if you want it delivered at the same time as installation you have to order through the local store, regardless of company. If you order online the item is shipped to you and may get there a few days early to ensure it's there when the installer gets there.

Worst buy. Worst buy and worst buy.

nO MORE buying ANYTHING from worst buy.

Viaan

Ding Ding Ding...your a winner....wow your 6th TV....that's....well ....no body cares. Seriously though since its already outside....have momms plug it in and pretend you are at an outdoor theater

View more comments (2)

Radio install without proper set up | Best Buy review from New York, New York

I purchased a Kenwood radio for my wife's Hyundai from Best Buy Westbury, NY. She went to the store to get it installed and was told to read the manual to set it up. Is that anyway to service what you sell? Like most manual's, the terms used don't correspond with the equipment installed so it is impossible to follow. A week later and the radio is still unusable except for CD's. I was able to program one FM station but found the process counter intuitive. I do not blame Best Buy for the manual that is a Kenwood issue. The AM band is filled with static.

you cant expect best buy to know how all these different types of models and company radios work. all the installer does is install the radio, i wouldnt expect them to tell me how to use it.

i would call kenwood and get them to help me. it is like asking someone at a grocery store on how to cook a turkey.

• Installation

Update by user Oct 30, 2013

this happened back in 2008 to 2009 and i was still fresh out of HS

Update by user Oct 29, 2013

& this has happened once every year & sense then I been trying to avoid that guy like the cold.

Original review posted by user Oct 29, 2013

I was looking at the new apple computers and tablet's so I wanted some information on them & I had...

the apple rep is put there by apple, not best buy. they sign contracts and whatnot so best buy cant fire him or move him to another department as he is technically working for apple in best buy.

to get info on apple products you are much better off going to an apple store/apple website/different store even. though even google was very useful for this stuff back in 2008 FYI.

View more comments

100$ geek squad scam | Best Buy review from Lexington, Kentucky

Last year I bought a tablet at a best buy store in in Lexington ky. When I was checking out the cashier asked me to buy the geek squad protection plan and I said no she informed me that if I dont use it by the time the 1 year is up I get a best buy gift card worth 100$. So I bought it thinking a year from now ill need to replace my laptop. Well its been a year and when I called yo see about how to get the gift card they said they have never had such promotion and sorry for the mistake !!!

that is really odd, though that is not best buys fault, that is the *** cashiers fault. was she high or something when checking you out? haha.

I purchased an Ipad in January with a warranty that gaves us a new product if we broke the ipad in anyway. Went yesterday to get the new ipad and they informed us that they changed their policy in June and my warranty now only gives us a refurbished ipad.

How can they change something six months after I purchased it. Never again will I purchase something from Best Buy

wow and I guess the SCAM artist has move to anther low paying job and probably is pushing CREDIT CARD APPLICAION OR TIMESHARES!! 100 DOLLAR LESSON. Next time SCREAM NO NO NO

Viaan

Does that even make sense? Didn't seem a little to good to be true?

View more comments (3)
  • geek squad scam

Battery Pack and Handycam blew up | Best Buy review

Just hours old and battery pack for brand new Sony handycam blew up while being charged! October 23, 2013. So looks like I'm out over $500.00 dollars of Best Buy purchased electonic equipment and the damage to the computer room. Bought it at Glendora, California's Best Buy store #1018, the reciept is still hot from being printed, and so is the hot exploded parts, a small fire was start from the exploding Hnadycam fragments being scattered around the room. Photo's wee taken of the damage and possible life threatening conditions that developed from faulty products being sold from this store #1018.
Sarahmarie

BestBuy only sold the product. This is a Sony problem, or are you one of those people who blame everything on the person selling the item and not those manufacturing the item?

talk to sony! not best buy.

best buy didnt make it. this is something for sony that they need to deal with.

Review

Interest-free credit scam. Best Buy will not take responsibility for employee mistake

The Best Buy salesman talked me into buying a very expensive computer by offering me 18 months interest-free credit if I signed up for the Best Buy credit card. I did so and, in the process of signing up for the card, he asked me to swipe my Chase credit card "for backup purposes". I received my Best Buy card a couple of weeks later but no bill. Then I received my Chase card statement and found that the computer had been charged to that card. Therefore, no interest free credit but 20% interest credit. I returned to the store and asked them to refund my card and charge it to the Best Buy card. The manager admitted that their salesman made a mistake and had no reason to ask me to swipe my own card, but she said policy wouldn't allow them to do anything about it. I contacted the national Best Buy customer service and was told the same thing - tough luck! Best Buy is hiding behind their own policies to avoid taking responsibility for their employees mistake. Not a company I will ever trust again.
Sarahmarie

Contact Chase and file a charge back. Inform them you where asked to provide a credit card during the application for Best Buy credit.

(This isn't as strange as it sounds) However they instead charged the purchase to your Chase card.

Chase will have a better time getting BestBuy to fix the error then you will.

Post on the best buy facebook page. Have all your friends post. go back into the best buy and record the conversATION THIS TIME.

Service