Filter by rating :
filters

Bad Customer Service Experience at Best Buy, Rude Manager.

I would like to start off by saying that i am a big fan of Best Buy. I used to be an employee when i was in college, and really just enjoy my experience while shopping there. Service Plans, Replacement Plans, Geek Squad and selection are usually never an issue. However, I have been turned off by my most recent experience, further pushing me towards purchasing my electronics online or at Target/Walmart. On Saturday the 28th, my wife and I went to sign a new 2yr contract with Verizon and purchase an iPhone; a gentleman names Albion helped us out and, at that point, had us leaving the store saying how pleasant it is to shop at a Best Buy. She was in a bad mood that day, but Albion greeted with a smile and in the end, she was pretty happy leaving the store. That evening, we decided I should switch my AT&T phone to Verizon as well, since my contract was up for some time. I called the store around 11-1pm range (Sunday- 30th) and spoke with a young lady to find out if a sale on the Samsung Galaxy S4 was still going. She put me on hold for about 3-4 minutes, and came back saying, "Yes, we still have that deal for you"... I replied, "Great! then I will see you in a few hours." Later in the day, 4pm-5pm range, i called back to make sure they had stock, I spoke with a John and he was very nice, he put me on hold and advised they had the phone in all 3 colors. So we decided to head that way, about a 30 minute drive (plus time to pack a 2yo in a car). When I arrived we saw Albion again, he joked about, "oh is everything ok? did i do something wrong?" .. we laughed and said that we were so happy we came back again. He was finishing with a customer and advised that he would be done in a few minutes, but if we wanted he could have Brian help us since he was just finished with another customer. I advised him we could wait for him, as we were shopping around for phone cases, battery chargers and looking at TVs as well. (The new 4K TVs are amazing) As I walked around, I noticed the GS4 was not showing the sale price. Brian happened to walk up and greeted us well, asking if I still wanted to wait for Albion. I explained to him that I called and asked about the sale, but it isn’t valid any more (based on signage). He apologized. I asked to please speak with the store manager so we can get that price. (I was very pleasant with Brian, and am not the type of customer to get rude as soon as i dont get my way.... that isnt my style) This is when my trip their turned negative. First off, Enrique greeted me as if I was wasting his time from the start. He absolutely did not greet me with a smile, just came up and smugly said, "What can I do for you?" I explained my story, how I had called and I wouldn’t have driven 30 minutes up here if I didn’t verify stock and pricing (I always Call Best Buy before I leave, because I don’t live close enough to ‘pop-in’). He said, "Well, I will ask the people who answer the phones, and if one of them remembers saying that, I guess I will have to honor that price." At that moment, I knew what was going to happen. ("I guess I will have to honor that price?") Let's be honest here, is an employee going to tell their manager they told a customer a wrong price over the phone, or just say, " No, i dont recall that"? .... we know this answer. I had worked in Best Buy, I was a retail store manager of an auto-parts store, I had been a Sales Director/Manager for some years after... Now I own two small businesses. I know one thing... employees know to CYA. Instead of smiling, and honoring a sale price that existed less than 12 hours ago, he decided he needed to corroborate my story with his team. I understand this to a degree; customers lie and mislead every day. As a store manager, you have to make a judgment call. I am educated, my wife is an RN, I speak intelligently and politely, and we arrived dressed well and smiling. We just purchased a phone/2yr verizon contract 1 day before... I am not a low-life scam artist trying to get something for free from him. Well after having me wait at least 5-10 minutes, he said "Sorry, No one remembers talking to you, so I cannot honor that price." I asked him if he thought I was lying to him, he said No. I replied, "Well someone is lying or doesn’t remember correctly, and since you wont take my word, you have made your choice" He said that he was sorry, but he wont honor that price and I don’t have to buy the phone there if I don’t want to pay the price they have. At this point, I advised him I would want to speak with his manager or district manager to advise of the service he was providing. He told me to just call Best Buy corporate if I want to complain. I left the store, and thanked Albion and Brain for their help. After I left, I told my wife I wanted to go back in and get their names, so I know who to reference. Enrique chose not to answer my question about his name, but just smugly held up his name badge, why the other two gentleman, still polite.... told me their names. Enrique then said that if I wanted to call corporate on him, and not buy the phone, he would prefer I just leave the store. If you want to corroborate my story, please contact Albion and Brian... they are the type of employee Best Buy needs in order to keep up with the online marketplace and other stores starting to carrying larger selections of electronics. Enrique, well.. frankly he is the type of person that turns customers away. I never raised my voice nor called anyone a name, I was just simply wanting the price I was told over the phone, the reason I drove 30 minutes to your store. Yet, I don’t know, I think Enrique was having a bad day, probably some post-christmas blues. Dealing with the busiest time in your store, I am sure he was irritated that day. This is not an excuse for treating a customer rudely, embarrassing them and asking them to leave the store. I feel I am an ideal customer for Best Buy. My household has 3 mobile phones (we always get top of the line), we purchase new electronics regularly, we have an Xbox, Xbox 360, PS3 and PS4. We own tablets, laptops and desktops. We are the type of people who enjoy a customer experience, rather than just an impersonal online one. Yet, this is something that is changing for me. When I shop online, I get the price I am shown. I don’t have to drive 30 minutes to be told I cannot get the price, and I don’t have to deal with a smug manager who has taken his position of power beyond what it is.... to make the customer happy, while managing employees, and the store operations. I would like to be contacted by a Manager, and I would like an apology from the employee. I am not sure what you do in a situation like this... but I would like to know why I should continue to purchase my electronics and appliances from Best Buy when I have numerous other options out there. Thank you for taking the time to read this, I want to help that store... because I really like going there. Yet, at this point, I am not interested in supporting Enrique or his store's success.
Review
LOOK, LOOK!! Best Buy Store Akron, Ohio 44310. On December 28, 2013 I purchased a LG Optimus on around 3pm along with Geek Squad Protection. I went home charged the phone over night. The following day I drove new car and put the phone in the passenger seat. I got home...

So...you bought a phone, broke it in less than a weekend, and now somehow Best Buy has done you wrong? Do you honestly think you should be able to buy whatever you want and abuse it to they point of rendering it useless and then the retailer should have to foot the bill?

Seriously? You're ridiculous.

View more comments

No returns after buying on line | Best Buy review from Newmarket, Ontario

Best Buy won't except returns when buying on line after the packaging was opened. Bought Monster Ear phone for my both kids online for Christmas and they opened it. The kids tried it on and it was too small. Went into the local Best Buy to get an exchange or refund and was told that they will not refund or exchange them. I have bought many items from Best Buy in the past and this will be my last time. If you want good customer service, go to Costco. No use in complaining to Best Buy because they really don't care. I have many friends that will not go to Futureshop or Best Buy.
Mike_mn

I hear you. And understand fully.

As a company starts to fail, they start imposing these types of policies. Due to my many bad experiences at BB, I do 99% of my purchases I would have done at BB, online.

Amazon has an excellent return policy. Just make sure the product is both SOLD & SHIPPED by Amazon. Every time I've returned something from Amazon, they have paid for return shipping, and, even scheduled the pickup at my house.

Just do it online. At the very least, fullfilled by Amazon. If the item is sold & shipped by a private place, I've found that it's up to them for the return, and many times it will cost you.

I tested ordering online at Wal-Mart. They have free delivery on orders over $50.

I order several different items... Bath tissue, deodorant, Laundry soap, breakfast cereal... to test out how they pack and ship. Total order was around $500, and it didn't cost me any more than buying in the store.

In fact a few items were cheaper. It was excellent. The box was double cardboard - very sturdy.

They packed the laundry detergent in a separate plastic bag and even taped the cap! I will order online at Wal-Mart again.

THIS IS THE REASON i HATE bestbuy. Costco is the ONLY place I shop now.

Thankyou. This report was very helpful.

The same thing happened to me. :(

View more comments (2)
Loss

Rewards program at Best buy is a Joke!

I am a gadget freak! Love the best news gadgets. Well with that comes many purchases of big ticket items. Best buy clams that they reward you for all you purchases you do with them. Wow what a joke!!!! I have bought almost $5000 with them and have yet to get one point earned in that scam they call a rewards program. I have called the '' customer service'' center and all they tell me is they have no record of my purchases. Funny I use there credit card to buy from them and they always have a record in order to send the bill to me. This program is either a scam or is so poorly ran it make the government health care web site look great!!!!!!!

I 100% agree with you. Their program is a joke.

Product
Best Buy Credit Card

Poor service at Best Buy

The slowest service ever! Ever time I asked for help I was told "wait a sec" or "I'll be there in a minute". Help never came. I was constantly told to go to the cashier for help but then I was told to go to another employee who then directed me back to the cashier. This cycle repeated 4-6 times and I basically wasted an hour doing that. When someone finally helped me they just said to wait on line. Why didn't they just tell me that in the first place!? Once I got on the line I wasted another 45 minutes even though there were only 3 people on line. Come on Best Buy! Once I finally got there they took 15 minutes to give us the computer. They kept on asking, " Do you want this?", "Do you want that?". No I don't! just take my money so we can all go home. What kind of service is that? Why didn't I just buy the computer at P.C. Richardson?

Dude, its a big box retail high turnover store where the associates would not know a flat screen TV from a flat chested prom date. They did the best they could most likely. If you want immaculate service then get rich and send your pool boy or office personal assistant out to do your bidding.

Service
Best Buy Cashier

Warranty is a SCAM!!!! Way to Expensive and not true!!! | Best Buy review from Las Vegas, Nevada

If you purchase Warranty on my new Lap Top in Best Buy and whe you do purchase they tell you: "if anything goes wrong we get you New One NO QUESTION ASKED!!! WEll that's not true it's BS!!!!Do NOT believe it!!!! Sales people have no clue what they saying/selling or they just MISS LEAD YOU in order for you to purchase Warranty!!! It's pure profit for them and it's pretty expensive. What they do,send Lap top for Repair for 2 weeks.If this happen 3 times same problem then they give you store Credit!!! It has to break 3x before replacement,but of course they do not tell you that!!!! BEAWEAR,Warranty it's NOT what they tell you!!! It's almost as a SCAM!!!

I only made out some of you said.... Plus your title says "Restaurant" when this is related to a technology item.

Plus don't even get a warranty at Best Buy or use so called "GeekSquad." What they call a warranty is nothing, they take your computer, pretend to do something in the back and come back and say you need a new one, even if it's a simple fix. All they'll do is refurbish the computer and resale it.

Best Buy "Extended Warranty" Scam

On Jan 5, 2011, I went to best buy in Canton, Ohio and bought a new Ipad2..Employee suggested "strongly" that I buy the extended warranty for an extra $179.00..explaining what a great deal this is. It not only covers anything that might happen to it "excluding water damage" but if I never need it for anything other than getting a new battery within 2 years it's well worth the cost because a new battery is $160.00.. So fast forward to Dec. 27, 2013..I never had any issues or needed the extra protection so I went to best buy today to have a new battery installed..The Geek at the Geek Squad informs me that they don't "replace" batteries..they take my unit, send it to Apple and they send me a refurbished unit...I ask well what if I have trouble with the "refurbished" unit and he says..well you have 30 days to return it..I say there is nothing wrong with mine..just doesn't hold a charge..Basically sorry about your luck.. we send it back (without a replacement or a loaner) or you take your chances and keep what you have! I will never buy an extended warranty again! Chances are good I will also no longer deal with Best Buy.. Amazon carries everything and they have a better return, exchange & guarantees..and you never have to fight traffic or leave the comfort of your home.. SHAME ON YOU BEST BUY FOR MISLEADING YOUR CUSTOMERS TO BENEFIT YOU. I would wager that the salespeople get very good incentives to sell the warranty's as hard as they work to sell them to you!

I buy very few warranties. 9 times out of 10 I'm right especially on the initial purchase.

In other words in reality how many people need warranty work during the first year or two of a purchases. And most guarantors or insurance companies backing those warranties insist you go to the manufacturer first anyway. If a self insured store many stores make you go through the manufacturer first then their warranty would kick.

They are sold on the premise that a very low percentage of people will use them. Insurance itself is a bet that you will need the money/service the insurance company is betting you won't.

Dear Critter lover,

I worked at best buy for 3 years and let me tell you there is NO commission based incentive for selling warranties. They are only driven to sell those at best buy for a pat on the back by a manager, so don't assume.

I will say that the employee should have not said you would just get a new batter easy as that, since the battery is Built in to the unit there is really no way of replacing it. If I was you I would have gone with the refurbished one and been done with it. People think these days that electronics will last 4-5 years, well in most cases they wont and you probably would have gotten another 2 years out of the refurbished one.

Off topic but I remember I would ask people how long they want this TV to last and they would also way 7-9 years HA!! Those warranties have saved a lot of people, you just don't hear the good stories.

Seriously, it only takes 2 seconds on Google to find out that you really can't replace a battery on an iPad. Even Apple just exchanges them if the battery stops holding a charge. You're complaint has no merit.

Best buy employees get no incentives for selling anything. Just an FYI.

What did the warranty paperwork say about battery replacement? You read the paperwork before buying it right?

You didn't just take a saleman's word for it? :?

View more comments (4)
Tags
  • Rif Off

BEST BUY "EXTENDED WARRANTY" SCAM

They always find some reason the warranty was voided. I once returned a purchase only to be told I had voided the warranty.

When I just gave up and just bought a new one, the clerk demanded that I buy a new extended warranty. I may have shouted, but he shouted first.http://www.pissedconsumer.com/reviews-by-company/best-buy/best-buy-extended-warranty-scam-20131227466922.html#

Mike_mn

Exactly right - on both points!

Most service plans, phones included, will 'fix' the item by simply sending your a refurbished or used-like-new unit! This is why I don't purchase those plans.

Also, most batteries can be purchased very cheaply online (from china). I've purchased several batteries for cell phone, tablets...

Just make sure the mah is rated at least the same. All ave performed without issues.

View more comments (1)
Tags
  • Extended warranty s

Best buy's protection plan is the worst ever!!!!!

I just upgraded my phone with best buy and had best buy's black tie protection, which had $0 deductible, but they changed the protection plan to geek squad and now there is $150 deductible, it is what it is, all the companies that I have seen have deductibles so no problem there. However most protection plans overnight replacement phones, so customers don't have to be without for extended periods of time. I went to best buy on Tuesday Dec 24th and was given ETA of Friday, 12/27. I was not told that due to Christmas, it may take a little longer, but one day longer I would totally understand. I call on the day it was supposed to be delivered and was told that there was a scheduled delivery for the 30th, Monday!!!!! Are you kidding me, the worst customer service ever!!!! I understand I dropped my phone and paid to have it replaced, but the fact that Best buy is using UPS ground is ridiculous!!!!! Take your money to Asurion and pay 6.99/month and pay $40 more to have phone overnighted.

A theft by any other name is a theft | Best Buy review from Cedar Rapids, Iowa

We have been dealing with BB since 1990! We will not buy anything from them again. The quality of conversation on the phone has gone down hill at each experience. It seems the elevator music is chosen to be irritating & when they are done passing you around the person you "speak" with seems to be schooled in plesant platitudes and interrupts the customer repeatedly. We paid for full coverage of our 2 top of the line desktops! This included Norton. I was given notice to update Norton. Pressed the continue button & could only continue via BB's 800 number. BB tried to insist I get their other security package. We had paid for Norton like our Norton & wanted to continue with Norton! We then contacted the local store where we paid for our PCs & extended coverage. Their music was slightly less irritating but, they insisted we bring in our PCs. Only after near twenty minuets did she tell me they don't carry Norton, anymore. So the charged us for a service package they "garanteed" to cover, only to state that they won't!