Filter by rating :
filters

Customer Dissatisfaction | Best Buy review from Rochester, Minnesota

Best Buy needs to pay more attention to their customers or they will fail. I bought the first three seasons of "Breaking Bad" for my wife for Valentines Day. She works in a hospital and did not feel she would have the time to watch them, so I decided to return them a week later. So I went to a large Best Buy in Lakeville, MN but it was boarded up. They had a map of where the nearest one was so I drove to the area but remembered where I had seen it but that one in Burnsville was also boarded up. I was late for work so I drove the hour back home. Then we went on vacation. Today I went back to Best Buy, to the Richfield store, just down the block from corporate headquarters, and ended up pleading my case to a manager. I was told I was outside the 15 day return policy AND they are not stocking the series anymore! What an outrage! Three weeks later. And they wonder why stores are closing down! If I had any stock in their company I would seriously consider selling it. This is a very poor policy of customer service and will continue to deteriorate the reputation of the company. When Dayton's used to be in town you could return anything even months later, no questions asked. That is how Best Buy used to be also. I'm sorry to see it going down the tubes. Amazon has a 30 day, no questions asked return policy. Guess where I will be shopping from now on?

The return policy is on the receipt and in the front of the store. As a consumer it is your responsibility to check these things before making a purchase, not get mad at a store who's policy was clearly spelled out.

@Anonymous

There is nothing on the receipt about not being a restocked item, and that is the main reason they would not take the items back. And my point is the stores I went to within the two weeks were both closed and boarded up even though they were still listed as viable stores on Best Buys web site. So the "best buy" is still Amazon.com!

#792018
@Anonymous

Yet you were told you were outside of the 15 day return policy timeframe.

love the boarded up stores excuse!! Stock holders have been told to SELL for years now If anyone is still holding WORST BUY don't feel bad for them at all!! and Don't worry about the 15 day return policy ALL THE good customers wanted that (that is why they changed it to 15 days) all the REALLY GOOD CUSTOMERS TOLD THEM TO DO IT TO YOU THE REALLY BAD CUSTOMER (sounds right)

View more comments (3)

Bestbuy refuses to allow pickup of packages at the UPS hub. | Best Buy review

WARNING - Do not order from Bestbuy.com unless you can guarantee that you will be at home the entire day! Ordered a TV through Bestbuy.com. Since I would not be home for delivery, I requested that UPS hold the package at their facilities. Every other company I have ordered products online from, such as Amazon, have allowed me to pick up packages at the UPS hub when a signature is required. Not Bestbuy. For some incomprehensible reason, Bestbuy will not let anyone pick up their own package at the UPS hub. There is no danger of someone stealing the package, since the pickup requires a photo ID anyways.

Same thing here. Ordered an electronic items from BestBuy online.

Since I was not at home to receive, I called UPS to hold for Pick-up. UPS directed me to talk to BestBuy. BestBuy would not allow me to pick from UPS hub.

After 45min, I just gave up. Let them return it back to BestBuy.

If you can pick it up from a UPS hub why not just have it shipped to a Best Buy store and pick it up there? You can pick it up when you want and it's free.

WORST Buy ISN'T anything like AMAZON!! Worst buy is a failue

View more comments (2)

Best Buy lied to me.

I bought a Dell all in one after being reassured by the associate at Best Buy that [[[YES, Microsoft Office is installed on the computer. Most definitely. ]]] His words exactly. I call the store today as I keep getting a pop-up about activation or buying Office, and ask to be put in touch with a manager which takes 5 minutes. He proceeds to tell me that no computer whether laptop or desk comes with Microsoft anymore and he doesn't know why the associate said that. In other words no help whatsoever. I will be shopping elsewhere from now on.

I don't go to best buy anymore.

I've had too many rude experiences there, all of which result from the attitude of the "blue shirts" that they are better than you.

It took a while, but look how Best Buy is going down the tubes. People would rather not buy something than go to best buy....

:grin

Courtnie
@Pizza Peter

They just opened two new stores in my city. They have nearly two thousand world-wide.

Yeah, they are going down the tubes.

Of course anybody who has a bad experience with a business says that said business is going down the tubes. Best Buy will be here long after both of us are dead.

One of Best Buy’s points of pride is that their employees are not paid on commission. Employees are trained to make non-commission statements, informing customers that they are simply paid a flat rate, in an attempt to gain customer trust.

This can be a great benefit to the customer, but isn’t the whole story. It’s true that most customer facing employees (like Geek Squad agents or sales staff) are not paid on commission. However, sales are still incentivized in ways that create a commission-like atmosphere. For example, managers have the opportunity to make big bonuses based off of revenue/margin goals.

Lower level employees can hit Blue Crew Bucks (a bonus tacked onto a paycheck). And, some employees (like Best Buy For Business) receive commission on sales. None of these practices are unethical, but giving customers the impression that sales performance isn’t rewarded is simply wrong.

This slight discrepancy never bothered me until Best Buy implemented a new sales tracking system. Now, each sales employee’s performance is closely tracked, as it would be in a commission pay system.

Employees are tracked on multiple metrics, including: sales per hour, protection plans sold, margin and gross revenue per sale, payments made on a Best Buy credit card, and accessory attach rate. By implementing this tracking system, Best Buy has instantly and fundamentally changed the work climate within the stores.

@Anonymous

Since they already track stores, managers and departments it's only logical that employees get tracked. They'll probably be giving computer generated employee evaluations with the employee and manager a chance to comment.

A computer generated ranking system would also make layoffs much easier. If not layoffs the ranking system could also be used to schedule with the more productive employees getting more hours.

A employee needs incentive to learn the store and what it carries, the product and process. Too many employees lack in all categories. It's pretty bad in retail when I get different information from different stores on the same problems and computers.

The disparity in knowledge is amazing although the office supply stores out did the Best Buy associates hands down. It's so obvious Best Buy employees need more incentive and training.

Best Buy and computer sales do NOT mix. They are poorly trained in tech and customer service.

Best Buy sales people have very poor product knowledge including technical details and/or what the features of each models are.

That's probably why someone told you it had Office which has most been an option. I had one computer salesman tell me that Windows 8 only works on the more expensive computers/fast processors yet you can only buy Windows 8 computers.

And according to Microsoft specifications it will work with the stuff/processors Best Buy models have.

I heard that Best Buy sales reps only get commission or tracked on upsells like the insurance or accessories.

To the anom above...Best Buy employees do NOT run on commission. There are VERY few sales jobs (cars mostly) in this day and age that will grant a retail salesman money for a sale. And I do not work for Best Buy, but I know this to be true.

Don't be ignorant.

@Anonymous

O I forgot we call them a bonus and it happens in MARCH of the year and yest they will *** out of it based on some numbers of sales they think you did not on what you actually do. good luck let us know how long you hang in that JOB!!

Courtnie

It is installed but not activated. What the salesman told you was 100% accurate.

When you go to buy a computer it is like buying a car. You must do your homework first and learn the ropes. You can't expect them to educate you.

Buying anything is like that - buy a tent and they don't tell you how to camp. Be a responsible consumer!

@Courtnie

If you go on youtube, and enter Geek Squad, a video will appear where a purposely new PC has the power cable to the HD removed. They said the a new PC had to be purchased!

You got the standard worst buy treatment (the sales person says what ever lie they have to to make the sale) O and they will tell you they do not work off commission!! (which again is another lie) but good for you to know that the EMPLOYEES are also screwed by the new way of giving a commision on sales.

They were all completely screwed last march and I am sure it will happen again.

View more comments (9)
Loss

I just wanted my to exchange my phone for accidental damages!! Isn't that what I pay the geek squad insurance for?! | Best Buy review

If it wasn't for yelp requiring at least 1 star I would put no stars... For as much money me and my husband have spent at this store I am upset for the way I mistreated. I wouldn't have minded the store being busy, but the service is just horrible and it is not worth the wait! Once in a while you may get lucky and get someone who is kind and will help you out, but my overall experience just makes me hate the place. I had purchased a Mac computer and many other programs and accessories for it and many other items. This was at least a $5,000.00 purchase. The employee who had sold it to us sold us all the wrong things for it. So it's true all these employees just care about their commission because he had sold us all the wrong programs for my Mac. I needed my quick books ASAP and he sold me a quick books for windows!! Some of the items were not even compatible with my Mac, but I went by this man's advice because I was hoping he would have known what he was talking about since it was my first time buying a Mac computer and this was suppose to be his profession. When I had returned these items they were unable to refund my money because of their policy. They can't return anything over $800 so a they had to mail me a check. Bad experience but I dealt with it. For the past month I have made 4 appointment's to return my iPhone because it was accidentally damaged. The past 3 times they were willing to accept my phone for accidental damages. On first visit I had forgotten to change my credit card for automated monthly payments so I immediately made my payment for the geek squad insurance early that morning. I was told the payment wouldn't go through for another 24hrs or else they would have accepted my phone for an exchange. So I had made another appointment for the next day late in the afternoon. Went to appointment and again they were willing to take my phone for accidental damages, but my payment still hadn't processed in their system. So I had made another appointment for the 3rd time. Went to my appointment and again they were willing to take my phone for accidental damages but my payment still wasn't showing on their system even though the money was taken out of my bank account. I was upset, but the made was kind enough to give me advice to whom I should call. I waited 2 weeks and made an appointment for today. My payment was showing on their system. The same guy who had helped me on the my 2nd visit was not willing to take my phone because he did not believe my damages were accidental. I reminded him of the other time I was there and how he did not argue the fact that it was an accident. So he denied ever doing that and made a rude comment. He said," are you sure this is the same phone you brought last time because I wouldn't have approved this." I was just given a hard time by this "Geek" so I asked to speak to his manager, but speaking to his manager didn't get me anywhere. Manager Riley Leggett was so rude to me and did not try to solve my situation. No matter what I said I was lying in their eyes. This is upsetting because I have made monthly payments to their geek squad insurance for over a year so my phone can be replaced when an an act of god accident happens, they should replace it. $15x12= $180. $180 plus some could have gone to a new phone!! There have been many other situations where I haven't been satisfied with there service, but have never been talk to the way I was talked to today. Satisfied customers are what brings business but people like Riley Leggett shouldn't be in a managing position because the verbal conversation we had today was very unprofessional. From the beginning of our conversation to the end of it he made me feel like my business didn't matter and his attitude was so careless and he made it obvious that I was wasting his time and did not show any compassion or even try to reason with me.

I find most stores look for ways to get out of their extended warranties and insurance. One is they make you deal directly with the manufacturer.

And the other is use the fine print or exceptions to the insurance. Even though it's covered by insurance most stores start losing money if too many customers actually use those plans since it's based on the premise that you will not use it.

Also Best Buy Mobile is technically a different company.

Even if Best Buy goes out of business Best Buy Mobile is already set up as a separate entity. Best Buy Mobile and/or their employees don't have to look at Best Buy the same way other store employees do.

In the sales person's defense, I know best buy employees do not make commission, so this situation makes me wonder if there is poor training by management in this situation. Still no excuse to sell you a bunch of stuff if he wasn't certain you needed it.

Urg... frustrating.

they are going out of business. laying off upper management 2000 in the us and 950 in canada and this is just the beginning.

Not a good place to buy stuff when they need to MAKE MONEY for the STOCK HOLDERS!! ceo needs to keep up his lifestyle!

@Anonymous

I heard that we are suppose to get a fries here soon. So I really looking toward to that :)

View more comments (3)

Left on "hold"! | Best Buy review from Butte, Montana

Just wanted a copy of the four year extended warranty I paid for when I purchased a Neato Robotic vacuum two months ago. Thought I should have it in my file just in case something went wrong with this appliance within the next five years (the appliance came with a one year warranty). I called the number on my receipt...and all that would happen after I explained what I wanted is I would be put on hold and left there. Add insult to injury, they play the most obnoxious and loud music that would blow your eardrums out. Don't confuse Best Buy with best service... Can not get what I need via telephone, so I will see if I do any better by going to the nearest Best Buy store which is 114 miles away.

Never buy an extended warranty. Especially from worst buy

Tags
  • extended appliance warranty

Lack of Customer Service and False Information | Best Buy review from Altadena, California

I had insurance through Geek Squad to repair my iphone. After the long process of entering all the information, she then tells me that my phone is on back order and i won't receive it for up to two weeks. so i had to get an android for the interim, and the people helping me get the loner phone were anything but helpful or nice. They made me pay for the darn phone that I didn't want. I tried to explain to them that I have insurance on my iphone, NOT an android. I have certain apps that i bought on my iphone that i need for work, and the best buy employees did not care. they said they could do nothing for me. So when I got home I called the customer service number to explain that I needed an iphone for work and that I shouldn't have to pay for an android that I don't want. They explained to me that it is a deposit and they can't do anything about it. I then told them that this is rediculous and if I had walked into apple with this problem that I would have walked out with a new phone in hand (presuming i had insurance/was still under warranty). The guy then said to me "so?" as if he could care less what apple would do to help their customers. so finally I get my phone back, and it is broken! The vibration is causing other things inside the phone to vibrate AND once i put it inside the case i have for it, the screen cracked. I did NOT drop it, I was not rough with it or anything. I simply pushed it into the case and the screen cracked. I then contacted best buy again, and they claimed to not have me in their system. THat i did not have an account with them!!!! I also emailed them, and NEVER got a response. I emailed someone personally - and that person decided to ignore my inquires/complaints. AWFUL AWFUL store. their entire system is awful and I will never be purchasing anything from them again!

Not sure but the phone sales might be handled by a contractor. Still what Best Buy puts on the sales floor as customer service and/or knowledge is surely lacking.

You are correct it's under warranty as well.

Most companies sell those pain in the butt extended warranties from an insurer or insurance company which will frequently tell customers to go through the manufacturer or seller first then use the insurance. Some companies have different return policies/agreements with their suppliers as well. Some suppliers want to handle any issues directly,With others it reverts back to the seller.

Best Buy might have a lousy deal with the manufacturers which puts the onus on them to handle returns. But mostly it's insurance sale incentive.

The did you drop it has been the get out of jail free card for both manufacturer and seller for years.

"The bloodbath at regional offices is intended to minimize the carnage inside stores, as Joly looks to trim costs without compromising Best Buy’s customer service, according to sources.

As such, the firings aren’t expected to affect employees that directly assist shoppers. Still, it’s likely that some will see their hours cut, one source said.

The prospect of fresh firings rose for Best Buy employees last month after the company reported squeezed holiday margins, worsened by deep discounting and dwindling demand for cellphones.

The Jan.

16 announcement sent the retailer’s stock tumbling 35 percent. Two weeks later, Best Buy disclosed it is laying off 950 workers in Canada, or 6 percent of the workforce there." written byBest Buy cutting 2,000 managers

By James CovertFebruary 26, 2014 | 1:36pm

going out of business. 2000 more employees HIGHER MANAGEMET they are saying.

They need to cut costs. 15 days return policy not honoring your cell phone contract ect.

this is what happens when you are losing market share and going down sorry you are caught in it.

View more comments (2)
Loss
Just want to let everybody know my recent experience with Best Buy purchase. Hoping it will stop most people to shop there. My experience is like a horror story. I purchased for my disabled mom with severe heart condition a compact washer and gas dryer unit on line,...

CALLED BEST BUY TO FIX MY RECIEVER GEEKS CAME TOLD ME THE RECIVER WAS GONE THEY SAID $100 TO TELL U WHATS WRONG AND $200 TO FIX I PAID 200 FOR HIM TO TELL ME WHATS WRONG CANT BE FIXED STILL ON HOLD WITH THE STORE FOR 1 HOUR DONT USE THE GEEKS

Review
After much discussion, my wife and I decided to use Best Buy to furnish our first house with much needed appliances. This turned out to be one of the biggest mistakes that I have ever made. Best Buy’s customer, delivery, and installation service was so abysmal that...
TCooks

I experienced similar horror with Best Buy's delivery and installation service. I ordered a new refrigerator, electric range/oven, and an above the range microwave from Best Buy.

Big mistake!

It took 2 service calls to get my new refrigerator installed. First time they delivered it to the garage and didn't install it. They also didn't take away my old refrigerator.

I had a COMPLETE nightmare with the delivery and installation of my new electric range/oven and takeaway of my old range/oven. Two delivery men came.

One didn't know how to use the straps or the dolly to carry my old range/oven out. They demolished our iron sidewalk gate and brick pillar with the heavy new range and dolly. They scratched and gouged my hardwood floors and one of them sexually harassed me. They were apparently from a third party delivery service and no one would take responsibility for any of it.

They treated me horribly.

By then I was very worried and afraid of the delivery of the microwave. I called to cancel it. They said it could not be canceled. They sent the geek squad to do that delivery and installation.

They took out my old microwave, but when they unboxed the new one, it had a huge dent in it. HUGE.

After that, I tried to cancel that order again, but the geek squad guys hadn't closed out the order and it was still showing it was in delivery status for days on end. I ended up changing it to delivery only and paid my own contractors to install it.

BEST BUY DELIVERY AND INSTALLATION IS A COMPLETE NIGHTMARE!!

#BestBuyNoMore

Loss
Ever try calling Best Buy and trying to reach a human being?? You would think that the "Sales Dept" would be easy to reach, since all companies would like to sell their product, NOT at BEST BUY !!! I have called numerious times, trying to get hold of ANYONE, just to...

maybe try facebook lisa smith vp of your customer care experience https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1095653427&fref=ts

Review
LET THE BUYER BEWARE! A new "Low" for the return policy of this Corporation. Even if you comply with all of the stringent, and restrictive rules of their return policy, they still put conditions on the return which they do not disclose up front at time of purchase. ...
#820184