Best Buy - bad customer service

1548 of 1859 Best Buy Reviews

This letter is to complain about service and a product we recently received from your Company, Best Buy at the Pinole, CA location on August 24, 2010. We went into exchange a camera that had stopped working 37 days after we had purchased it. The first Assistant Managers (Earl) did not even want to listen to my concern, he simply stated your return police and that was it. All we want to do was exchange the camera. We asked for a corporate phone number and a District Manager name and number. We were given the 1-800 numbers but only the first name of the DM and no information on how to contact him. After spending an hour or more on the phone with customer service they finally sent another Assistant Manager (Joe) over to talk with us. And I could just read it on his face that he was going to tell us the same thing and state the same policy. He did listen to our concern about the product. But stated he was not going to do anything other than what the policy stated. At some point in the conversation Joe had the nerve to ask me if I had called Canon (The manufacture). I replied; I didn't buy it from Canon, I purchased it from Best Buy; whom I thought was a repeatable Company. However both ASM stated that they would send the camera in for repairs. We didn't feel that was fair, the camera stopped working 33 days after it was purchased, and had only been used 3-4 times. When we returned home we goggled the information that we had asked for. We found and called a district office in South Cal who gave us the phone number of the District office in Pleasant Hill, CA. I spoke with the DM Assistant Michelle who told me that she would have John North (DM) call me; with he did not. The next day, Michelle called me back and stated the same policy. The only different was that the store would supply us with an out of box camera to use while the camera we have purchased was being repaired. Just a note she also asked if I had contacted Canon the manufacture, I told her the same as I told Joe. When I took the camera back into the store Richard the store Manger told me that I would have to purchase the loaner camera. At this point needless to say, I was quite frustrated and fed up with the lack of customer service I had received from your Company. So with no other opinion I let them send the camera in for repair.

On July 13, 2010 I purchased a Canon Powershot SX120IS Camera for $229.99. We took the camera on a family vacation on August 19, 2010 and after using it for one day it stopped working on the 20th, 33 days after I had purchased it. When powered on an error message appears on the screen and then powers off. Yes on your receipt it states no refund or exchange after 14 days. But what product stops working in 14 days? We were not asking for a refund, we only wanted to exchange the camera for the same item.

We expected a much higher level of service from your company, and we are quite disappointed with the level of customer service we had received in your store and from a district level. We now feel that we cannot trust your company any more due to the inability to take responsibility for the products that you sell that may be defective. When the camera is returned to us we would like to be able to take it in for a full refund. Because of lack of customer service from a store level and the district level we feel as if the only thing your company cares about is getting the customers money, and then the *** with them if some things goes wrong with the product. We will be informing our friends and family about this experience. And we strongly have doubts about ever shopping with your Company again. The dollar is the only thing your company cares about, not the customer!!

d5ba6b0 review #196193
0 Helpful? 0
Had the same issue0 Comments19 Report
1548 of 1859 Best Buy Reviews
Had an experience with Best Buy?  Submit review about this company
getagrip

Aug 17, 2011

Actually, the return period is 14 days.

RlydudeRly

Jul 29, 2011

Really? Contacting the manufacturer is Best Buy's responsibility? That's naive and childish at best. Did Best Buy put together that camera? Did Best Buy test the camera? Did Best Buy even package the camera? No. They are simply selling a product that someone else made. The great thing about retail stores like that is that you can buy several different things from several different companies at one place. That's what a retail department store is.

Before you make an electronic purchase you should always do your research on the product you are about to purchase. You've proven you can use the internet to throw another temper tantrum about mean old Best Buy and how they wronged you, so use those same skills and research products, warranties, and return policies.

I know for a fact that Best Buy offers services that cover most products beyond the manufacturer warranty (usually 1 year) and against things like accidents, but you probably didn't want to pay the extra charge that was involved to insure you'd have a working product beyond the standard time frame.

Not their fault you didn't do your homework, protect your investment or that you don't want to do the leg work of contacting the company who is solely responsible for the product you purchased.

0 0 Reply
best buy customer service rep.

May 18, 2011

I just wanted to voice a little bit of my opinion here. As the name states, I work in the customer service department at a best buy. For once I wish the customer with an issue wouldn't take it out on us, we understand you are angry and upset however, we are just following policy. Possibly losing my job to give you what you want, is never going to happen. Yes products stop working days or weeks after you buy them. They are electronics, technology, it is possible to just malfunction. Best Buy know this! That is why we offer coverage outside the thirty or fourteen day return policy! Yes, it could be brand new technology that just hit the racks, but hey everything has its glitches.

Next, I do not know what best buys you have visited, but most of the "kids" in the store I work in knows there stuff pretty dang well. Yes, I have plenty of times where I'm told "I was sold the wrong item." but hello we are all human here, we make mistakes.

Lastly, when you come to the customer service counter throwing a fit and cussing us out, do you really think we want to cut you a break, go above and beyond the return policy and act super nice to you? My job or not, I most certainly do not deserve that attitude nor is it apprechiated, and yes I will do everything I possibly can to make sure you do not get what you want. Due to the fact that your acting like a child and can not control yourself, mostly due to own customer faultiness with product.
Act like an
... Show more

Canon

May 04, 2011

It is unfortunate that you had issues with you cameras. You will notice in the box with the warranty paperwork it states to contact the manufacturer (Canon) if there are issues with the product. These policies that Best Buy are enforcing are also agreements between the two corporations in order for them to remain an authorized reseller of their products. I hope this will help you in the future!! :D

RUSerious?

Apr 08, 2011

If some of you are BBY employees and you are responding like this, than you are dumb and you dont have good customer service! It takes an aproximate $19 to satisfy a potential lost customer and over $1000 to get one new customer in the store. It's not worth losing a customer! I'm in school for business management. Yes, there are policies, but it isn't worth losing the customer over. :zzz :?

bestbuyguy

Mar 07, 2011

1. Was it 37 or 33 make up your mind?
2. Policy is policy it's there and it can't be changed overnight. As stated earlier, all kinds of places have these policies. if you want to fix them write letters to the companies.
3. Best Buy employees do know more than the average person about electronics, good job if you can find your info. Just let those employees know that you know what you want, they might have some insight that others may not have.
So as a closing thought, if you want to wax intellectual about something look into it and know what your talking about please. It's not Best Buy's fault and it's not your fault either. Best Buy just want to help you get it fixed, but there is only so much that Best Buy can do.

Simon

Feb 10, 2011

Best Buy has a 15 day return policy. After that, any problems are between the customer and the manufacturer. Best Buy is certainly not alone in this business practice. Wal-Mart, Target, Sears, etc have the same policy. Outside of their return window, any problems need to go through the manufacturer.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I'm just saying that's how it is.

Disgruntled Customer

Feb 09, 2011

The point is that Best Buy is the seller. If something goes wrong with the product, they should be responsible for contacting the manufacturer and fixing the defective product. If the buyer had wanted to call Canon directly, they could have purchased the camera directly from Canon and saved any middle-man fees. We pay a higher price for these products by buying from Best Buy, and that additional cost is SUPPOSED to be paying for good service - the problem is that Best Buy is not delivering the service they claim to have. It is not the customer's responsibility to call the manufacturer, it's Best Buy's, no matter what their policy says. That's basic business rules.

Justin

Nov 14, 2010

I replied; I didn’t buy it from Canon, I purchased it from Best Buy; whom I thought was a repeatable Company.

I am sure the workers knew you didn't buy the camera from Canon, but Canon is the one who made the camera, so they would be able to assist you further then the place that just sells the cameras... Next time you buy an item that does not work, take it to the people who makes it, not the ones who sells it.

Anon.

Oct 18, 2010

I just noticed what THIS site is doing - every time there is a complaint about a particlar item; whether it be camera, furniture,etc., they have an advertisement at the bottom for that type of item. That is pretty scuzzy. Hmmm.... :x

Tara M. Adams

Oct 18, 2010

As disgusting as the policy is at most electronics stores, you must now contact the manufacturer - not the store at which the purchase was made; they are no longer "responsible" for the *** merch. the sell!!! Sorry for your bad experience. These stores should all be ashamed. It's all about taking advantage of the consumer - no more customer service...they want you to drop your money & get out of their store.

Larry

Sep 17, 2010

Hello-
You are an *** for getting upset when the manager asked if you've contacted Canon about the issue. That is a reasonable, logical, and usually only (excluding side purchased warranties) way to go about your past-30-day malfunctioning camara. You're one of those customers companies dont like and would rather not have.

0 0 Reply
Please, BB employees, please.

Sep 13, 2010

@ TomBBY: Mentioned the return policy??? The only thing that BB employees 'mention' before you buy something is a list of at least 5 or 6 catastrophic events that your amazing warranty/protection plans cover. I shop at BB all the time, for probably 15 years or so and have NEVER ONCE heard a BB employee mention the return policy when purchasing something and you know it. Yes, of course it's printed on the back of the receipt. And I understand perfectly why this person was denied an exchange/refund - but please, don't make $&!t up.

@ the rest of the BB employees: This customer isn't mad that they can't return the camera - they're mad because BB managers talk like robots to them when explaining what happened. If the managers explain why they can't deviate from the policy, it helps - a lot.

Sorry guys, but most of you really do operate like car salesman. 1)You're all smiles until there's a problem, then you enter robot mode (are you trained to do this?). 2) With about 10-15 minutes of online research, I always end up knowing more about the products I'm looking at than you do 3)I've come to not trust a single thing anyone in your store says to me, and things work out much better that way.

TomBBY

Sep 09, 2010

Digital cameras/camcorders (and some other products) have a 14 day return/exchange policy. That's clearly stated on the back of your receipt, and I'm sure it was mentioned more than once before you took ownership of the camera. After that time, unless you purchase the GSBTP, you will be dealing with the terms and conditions of the manufacturer's warranty. It's their product and they built it....NOT Best Buy, or any other retailer who sells them. It doesn't matter what you FEEL you deserve, or what you THINK should happen, so grow up already. :cry

whinyconsumersrpussies

Sep 08, 2010

Problem is all the people that use camera for a 14 day vacation and take it back and say is doesn't work...never heard of that one did you smart guy. Read the policies on the wall pin head before you buy and stop whining.

Nope, sorry

Sep 08, 2010

Best Buy's return policy is 30 days. An exception is not going to be made because you're special. Period. You can whine, cry, throw a fit, but at the end of the day, you will not be refunded or allowed an exchange. You need to call Canon and deal with them to get the camera repaired.

~:)

Sep 07, 2010

I believe you mean "reputable" and not "repeatable" lol.

and "googled" not "goggled"

additionally, that's why they offer the black tie protection on cameras. It's Canon's responsibility call them.

What this 9 year old needs to

Aug 29, 2010 Holmestrand, Vestfold

Is they are just going by their policies and he should to to the manufacture after this.

Oct 23

THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!!!!! Do not ever buy from Best Buy. They are the worst business for customer service. If you buy something from them and it doesn't work they will not entertain a return or exchange. When it comes to a simple return or exchange, the process is a nightmare!!! I had a cable for a tv that I bought from Best Buy that they advised me to buy for installation. Geek Squad, whom they employee, could not get to my house until three weeks later. When they arrived, they said the cable was not needed. When I went to return it, Best Buy said that the return date had expired and they would not accept it. When I explained my situation, they still refused to accept the return despite the fact that they had originally told me to buy it for the installation regardless of the fact that their people didn't come to my house to install until after the two week period. Completely unreasonable and incredibly poor business. I will never return to Best Buy and I have conveyed this message to all of my family and friends.

0 0 Reply

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Best Buy.
Filing a new complaint about
×